Brian Brushwood: Menace and Malice Speculation

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

guys-- just wanted to report in and let you know that we just had our first full-on rehearsal for the "Malice" show. I. AM. SO. STOKED.

Menace includes a lot of elements that were in the 2008 show, so I knew that one was pretty safe (but still: don't forget there's new routines in that show as well), but before tonight, Malice was a pretty big question mark for me. We made some pretty major design changes that I wasn't sure how they would play out... but now that we've done it, I'm totally excited. I'm sorry (?) to say that this is turning out to be the kind of thing where people are really going to *need* to come to both shows to get the full experience.

My question to you is: is that crazy talk? I know most people come to HHN for the houses, but is there any chance folks will carve out enough time for Menace AND Malice?

-Brian

I think the crowd who come for one night will pass on at least one of the shows, maybe even both (and Bill and Ted), because at the end of the day they're turning up to get scared in the houses and on the streets, not to see magic and illusion shows. With house times hitting 2 hours sometimes, it's an inevitability they won't get time to see it all.

But I think those of us who spring for the Frequent Fear pass, who hit the event on multiple nights, are just as excited as you are about what you've got lined up for us. I'm going seven nights this year and plan on catching both Menace and Malice several times. How does that work, will the map list which show is on at which time, or will we just have a list of all showtimes and we don't know which one we're seeing until we're in there? That's important, if they only see times for one show ("Brian Brushwood: Menace and Malice", as they plug it on the website) they'll see it and not even realise there's new stuff to stick around for in the next one.

I think the crowd who come for one night will pass on at least one of the shows, maybe even both (and Bill and Ted), because at the end of the day they're turning up to get scared in the houses and on the streets, not to see magic and illusion shows. With house times hitting 2 hours sometimes, it's an inevitability they won't get time to see it all.

absolutely. couldn't agree more.

But I think those of us who spring for the Frequent Fear pass, who hit the event on multiple nights, are just as excited as you are about what you've got lined up for us. I'm going seven nights this year and plan on catching both Menace and Malice several times. How does that work, will the map list which show is on at which time, or will we just have a list of all showtimes and we don't know which one we're seeing until we're in there? That's important, if they only see times for one show ("Brian Brushwood: Menace and Malice", as they plug it on the website) they'll see it and not even realise there's new stuff to stick around for in the next one.

From the posted images of the map, it looks like it only lists "menace and malice" as a location, but the signage at the venue clearly states which shows are menace, and which are malice. As for knowing that there are two shows, I think we've done a really good job of designing the show such that everyone knows that there are two totally different experiences. While the one-day crowd may have a hard time catching both shows, it's really the frequent fear crowd that I'm hoping will definitely make both shows. I'm surprised at how different both of them are thematically. Each really has a different feel and character, and I'll be *really* interested to see which one is the more popular (both with the hardcores, and with the one-day crowd).

My ideal situation is that it's like "album 1" vs. "album 2" arguments about the Beatles white album...

...but I'll be happy as long as it's not a "Jonas Brothers vs. Justin Bieber" style argument about who sucks more.

-Brian

Edited by Brian Brushwood

Other than the signage, be sure to specifically say that to the guests that there's two different variations of the show. Some people just don't read, lol. I'm going for two nights this Fri and Sat and I'm hoping to catch one of the shows one day and one of the shows the other.

Other than the signage, be sure to specifically say that to the guests that there's two different variations of the show. Some people just don't read, lol. I'm going for two nights this Fri and Sat and I'm hoping to catch one of the shows one day and one of the shows the other.

I suspect there will be a lot of folks like you who come back on different days. (I'd imagine it'd be tough to tie up 2 hours of your one night at HHN with just one show). Make sure to say "hi" after the show and tell me what you think!

yeah, I have one night to attempt this as well, Oct 10th, which luckily is a 1am night. i THINK i have a way to get it all accomplished...we'll just have to see. Am definetly going to figure out a way to make sure I'm there for at least one though.

Now, as a person who hasn't seen any of your stuff live (although have seen all the demo reels from the website) do you have one you'd personally suggest seeing?

(I think it's a fair question after asking Patrick which of his children he loves more...)

yeah, I have one night to attempt this as well, Oct 10th, which luckily is a 1am night. i THINK i have a way to get it all accomplished...we'll just have to see. Am definetly going to figure out a way to make sure I'm there for at least one though.

Now, as a person who hasn't seen any of your stuff live (although have seen all the demo reels from the website) do you have one you'd personally suggest seeing?

That's a tough call-- if you had asked me a month ago, I might have suggested Menace since I already know so much of that show plays well to the HHN crowd. But after the last few nights of rehearsals, I'm happy to report that I really like Malice as well. They're very different shows, and without knowing what kind of stuff you're into, I don't know that I could pick a recommendation for you. :-/

(I think it's a fair question after asking Patrick which of his children he loves more...)

Busted. This is why I had to at least respond honestly :-)

That's a tough call-- if you had asked me a month ago, I might have suggested Menace since I already know so much of that show plays well to the HHN crowd. But after the last few nights of rehearsals, I'm happy to report that I really like Malice as well. They're very different shows, and without knowing what kind of stuff you're into, I don't know that I could pick a recommendation for you. :-/

Busted. This is why I had to at least respond honestly :-)

Hey, i do appriciate the honesty, and I am going to do whatever I can to catch both. :) I work in Zombiegeddon, so it's just going to be funny because i'll always be RIGHT THERE. I look forward to the show.

Guest FL Universal Jax

Brian, I see that you are going to be in the Bettlejuice Theater this year. I personally think that the venue is excellent for any type of show, being a "graveyard" and all. Out of curiosity, will your show make use of any of the pre-existing stage sets? I saw your show in 2008. I didnt think that the stage did you justice however. Being the animal actors stage and all. I am really looking forward to your two shows. I have already told people going with me that we will see two different shows back to back, so they are prepared.

Good luck this year and hopefully I will get to meet you in person after one of the shows.

Brian, I see that you are going to be in the Bettlejuice Theater this year. I personally think that the venue is excellent for any type of show, being a "graveyard" and all. Out of curiosity, will your show make use of any of the pre-existing stage sets? I saw your show in 2008. I didnt think that the stage did you justice however. Being the animal actors stage and all. I am really looking forward to your two shows. I have already told people going with me that we will see two different shows back to back, so they are prepared.

Good luck this year and hopefully I will get to meet you in person after one of the shows.

OMG, it's unreal how well the both Menace and Malice fit in this venue. doing the shows at BJ makes me really see all the challenges we had at Animal Actors... BJ theater is more intimate (there's not a bad seat in the house), the sound system is better, the lighting is incredible, and we're able to use the entire stage... very excited.

OMG, it's unreal how well the both Menace and Malice fit in this venue. doing the shows at BJ makes me really see all the challenges we had at Animal Actors... BJ theater is more intimate (there's not a bad seat in the house), the sound system is better, the lighting is incredible, and we're able to use the entire stage... very excited.

I havn't been to the Beetlejuice show in... oh, 10 years maybe?... but I remember the stage being (or feeling) quite a way away from the audience? Sorta similar to Bill and Ted with the wide pathway at the front... whereas when I saw the show on the Animal Actors stage it felt as though we were very near to you, almost like we were part of the show, or a studio audience or something. Might be because I remember BJ with an elevated stage so you're looking down on us? I dunno, has age just played tricks with my mind, or I wonder if this year will feel more like 'observing' compared to 2007/8's 'involved' feel?

I havn't been to the Beetlejuice show in... oh, 10 years maybe?... but I remember the stage being (or feeling) quite a way away from the audience? Sorta similar to Bill and Ted with the wide pathway at the front... whereas when I saw the show on the Animal Actors stage it felt as though we were very near to you, almost like we were part of the show, or a studio audience or something. Might be because I remember BJ with an elevated stage so you're looking down on us? I dunno, has age just played tricks with my mind, or I wonder if this year will feel more like 'observing' compared to 2007/8's 'involved' feel?

that's a good question. Make sure to let me know how it looks/feels from your perspective after the shows!