Halloween Horror Nights 29 Speculation

Mark M.

1 minute ago, zombieman said:

I had the same Q, so went searching another forum.  My summary is probably not fully accurate.  Ifrit clue suggested announcement yesterday or today.  A bet over Butterbeer was made: Creepshow vs HOTC vs Classic Monsters.  Creepshow was seen as a strong rumor for this year - possibly even started build.  (King Creepshow vs TV series Creepshow was still being volleyed about.)  Then someone suggested that Creepshow had been "Screamed", which was in line from a recent Murdy tweet where he said he was thrown a curveball.  Announcement was not made.  (Evidently, something is happening with Marvel this weekend, so announcements are now expected in May.)  Someone concluded that Creepshow was now off the table; Legacy said whoa there, Nelly!

Did I sum that up about right, Legacy?

In a way, that sums it up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zombieman said:

I had the same Q, so went searching another forum.  My summary is probably not fully accurate.  Ifrit clue suggested announcement yesterday or today.  A bet over Butterbeer was made as to the announcement: Creepshow vs HOTC vs Classic Monsters.  Creepshow was seen as a strong rumor for this year - possibly even started build.  (King Creepshow vs TV series Creepshow was still being volleyed about.)  Then someone suggested that it was Creepshow, and that it had been "Screamed" (or "Conjoured" if you prefer), which was in line from a recent Murdy tweet where he said he was thrown a curveball.  Announcement was not made.  (Evidently, something is happening with Marvel this weekend, so announcements are now expected in May.)  Someone concluded that Creepshow was now off the table; Legacy said whoa there, Nelly! (as he did here).

Did I sum that up about right, Legacy?

Sorry. Watchin' Endgame. Yup. That's what I was talking about.  And how I'd describe it. And imploded, not exploded. Could be re-inflated. 

Also, I don't think anyone chose Creepshow as the announcement, so no Butterbeer was won. I picked Classic Monsters and wasn't correct. Shocker. I'm wrong a lot. 

Edited by TheRobcat

12 hours ago, TheRobcat said:

Sorry. Watchin' Endgame. Yup. That's what I was talking about.  And how I'd describe it. And imploded, not exploded. Could be re-inflated. 

Also, I don't think anyone chose Creepshow as the announcement, so no Butterbeer was won. I picked Classic Monsters and wasn't correct. Shocker. I'm wrong a lot. 

Bet is still on, as the next announcement hasn't happened. :D

With the hype for Disney and Marvel right now, I think they'll just throw out some teaser tweets for a bit there is a right moment to throw an announcement out for another maze. As for Creepshow, hopefully it'll come back next year, I'd love it if it would be based off the movie but if it has to be the show, it's still a win because both are great and the way the show has been hyped, definitely would make the maze promising as well.

Edited by HorrorUnearthed

18 minutes ago, TheShape1031 said:

Don't know why, but holding out hope for IT this year. Not trying to get my hopes up too high, but we'll see.

I'd love to see it but if they are having a problem with Creepshow coming to the event at the moment, definitely probably give the same situation to IT, also since Horror Made Here is not happening this year, it would be the perfect opportunity to bring it to the event even if it's just a one and done like they did with The Shining, I'd love to see it happen, no offense to Horror Made Here but the house for that event didn't really seem scary and most videos I've seen, the houses seemed dead, and maybe at least one or two scares if lucky whereas HHN would make sure the movie would be notified with the many scary scenes featured in the film and possible easter eggs as well. So here's to hoping it makes its presence at the event some time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HorrorUnearthed said:

I'd love to see it but if they are having a problem with Creepshow coming to the event at the moment, definitely probably give the same situation to IT, also since Horror Made Here is not happening this year, it would be the perfect opportunity to bring it to the event even if it's just a one and done like they did with The Shining, I'd love to see it happen, no offense to Horror Made Here but the house for that event didn't really seem scary and most videos I've seen, the houses seemed dead, and maybe at least one or two scares if lucky whereas HHN would make sure the movie would be notified with the many scary scenes featured in the film and possible easter eggs as well. So here's to hoping it makes its presence at the event some time.

100% agree. The HMH maze looked incredibly lame. The acting was bad, the scares were WAY too obvious. HHN would blow that out of the water. Hope it happens, but like the rest of us, need to wait and see. 

This is off topic but not worthy enough of making a new thread so...

Did you guys know you can get tickets at the info kiosks before you get into Universal? I bought my tickets online and got my physical ticket with no line on opening day last year. It seems like not everyone knows this.

2 hours ago, Midnight Detective said:

Can someone explain to me why A&D/Marketing clash so much? Has marketing ever made an overriding decision that down the line resulted in being the right move?

Old school versus new school.

And TWD.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Midnight Detective said:

Can someone explain to me why A&D/Marketing clash so much? Has marketing ever made an overriding decision that down the line resulted in being the right move?

Those who truly create and those who think they can? That was snarky and mean of me. 

Simple. You ever create something and someone comes along and tries to play in the world you built? You get a little possessive. And when those newcomers force their frivolous ideas onto your world, you becomes even more possessive and jaded. 

Marketing needs to stick to marketing and stay and stay out of the creative world. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Legacy said:

Old school versus new school.

And TWD.

Just wondering but did the Walking Dead pave the way to the use of a lot of the IPs we've seem recently? It was a repetitive nightmare for those who love the creative aspect of HHN but did it have a positive outcome? Is the return of a high amount of original houses since the end of the Walking Dead a result of the Walking Dead leaving or the abundance of IPs now in use?

1 hour ago, mystiquephreeq said:

Those who truly create and those who think they can? That was snarky and mean of me. 

Simple. You ever create something and someone comes along and tries to play in the world you built? You get a little possessive. And when those newcomers force their frivolous ideas onto your world, you becomes even more possessive and jaded. 

Marketing needs to stick to marketing and stay and stay out of the creative world. 

I agree and its really weird how marketing views icons. 

Second question - how was 21 (a year full of well received originals) followed by 22 which had a low house count and other problems?

5 hours ago, Midnight Detective said:

3 hours ago, ultimateforce said:

Did you guys know you can get tickets at the info kiosks before you get into Universal? I bought my tickets online and got my physical ticket with no line on opening day last year. It seems like not everyone knows this.

1 hour ago, Midnight Detective said:

Just wondering but did the Walking Dead pave the way to the use of a lot of the IPs we've seem recently? It was a repetitive nightmare for those who love the creative aspect of HHN but did it have a positive outcome? Is the return of a high amount of original houses since the end of the Walking Dead a result of the Walking Dead leaving or the abundance of IPs now in use?

I agree and its really weird how marketing views icons. 

Second question - how was 21 (a year full of well received originals) followed by 22 which had a low house count and other problems?

1. A&D and marketing clash yearly because Art and design has plenty of great and awesome ideas but it's hard to translate into radio or tv or billboard ads. 

I am pretty sure A&D has very creativity ad and billboards, I.e  hhn 2008 and 2009. I bet they clash on that too.  
 I  want to see their idea for the past ads. 

2. Those Info booth are 100% time faster than waiting line.  I suggest to stop by the guest services in citywalk is even faster and friendly sometimes.. 

3.    The  original houses in 22 was legit only two and same soundstage , I was in dead end. Also, it was roughly 8- 9 bucks more than past year. 
  hhn 21 was more well received despite the lady luck feud. It was great theme overall. there was 7 originals vs 2 original houses( I am not counting universal monster) 
 22 wasnt any theme or had regular streets. 
 22 had messed up kind of, but it was great mess up that gave us Silent hill which, I enjoyed for everything.  I want another horror game house that isn't Five night at Freddy's.  

Also,  I dont think we will would see game of thrones house. 

If we could ever get a marvel house, I would love to see marvel zombies, or age of ultron. 

• Like 2

I want to clarify some things regarding “Marketing versus A&D:”

1) Through 2007, A&D led the creative process for nearly all aspects of the event. Management was hands off and, because of the event’s success, has no reason to get involved. A&D built the website, designed the icons. There were some conflicts but, generally, the event was entirely theirs. 

Everything changed in 2008. Comcast was guiding decisions, and Harry Potter changed the national view of the resort. Roddy left. Oh, and HHN saw a decrease in attendance. From 2009 to 2011, Marketing gained more leverage. 

In 2012, TWD happened. 2013, when it took over the park, was the peak of a five year turnaround. Marketing got their win and essentially became co-equals.

2) Marketing (as a field) requires an immense amount of creativity and creation. It’s just a different focus. While A&D is free to create “for the art,” Marketing creates for a purpose. That’s why Comcast pulled them up to the table in the first place. It’s not A&D’s job to present the event to the masses; it’s Marketing’s job.

To dismiss them as “those who think they can create” is an insult. I’ve done marketing design, and I put just as much (if not more) thought and effort into those products as my “fun” stuff.

3) My “old school versus new school” comment was intentional. There are some vestiges of the “old Universal,” complete with the “whatever man” and “this belongs to us” mentality that existed through the aughts. The “new” Universal, the Comcast Universal, is corporatizing how they operate. Fans may hate it, but it’s the only way the resort can succeed moving forward. (Side note - the “old school” mindset is where a lot of the current indecision with the parks is coming from).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

40 minutes ago, Legacy said:

To dismiss them as “those who think they can create” is an insult. I’ve done marketing design, and I put just as much (if not more) thought and effort into those products as my “fun” stuff.

As someone in marketing myself, thank you for making that point. It's often that we're just though of as "number people", where it actually takes both sides of the brain.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Legacy said:

I want to clarify some things regarding “Marketing versus A&D:”

1) Through 2007, A&D led the creative process for nearly all aspects of the event. Management was hands off and, because of the event’s success, has no reason to get involved. A&D built the website, designed the icons. There were some conflicts but, generally, the event was entirely theirs. 

Everything changed in 2008. Comcast was guiding decisions, and Harry Potter changed the national view of the resort. Roddy left. Oh, and HHN saw a decrease in attendance. From 2009 to 2011, Marketing gained more leverage. 

In 2012, TWD happened. 2013, when it took over the park, was the peak of a five year turnaround. Marketing got their win and essentially became co-equals.

2) Marketing (as a field) requires an immense amount of creativity and creation. It’s just a different focus. While A&D is free to create “for the art,” Marketing creates for a purpose. That’s why Comcast pulled them up to the table in the first place. It’s not A&D’s job to present the event to the masses; it’s Marketing’s job.

3) My “old school versus new school” comment was intentional. There are some vestiges of the “old Universal,” complete with the “whatever man” and “this belongs to us” mentality that existed through the aughts. The “new” Universal, the Comcast Universal, is corporatizing how they operate. Fans may hate it, but it’s the only way the resort can succeed moving forward. (Side note - the “old school” mindset is where a lot of the current indecision with the parks is coming from).

I admitted I was being snarky and mean. Not really being serious with that comment. 

I firmly believe the primary issue is what I stated. There’s a fight over the sandbox and neither side is willing to concede and compromise. There are creative elements to marketing, but there are minds who have invested years into building a mythos. I, being a creator for the art , better understand the minds protecting their mythos. I understand the defensive posture. I, also, find it degrading for individuals to step in and say “Jack is the only icon who can sell” and then have others create two figure heads. 

And yes, until they can work together, I think Marketing should stick to creating the marketing and A&D stick to creating the stories. 

Why? Because horror is a genre that is greatly harmed by the cliches/popularisms that an effective marketing department should focus on. Appealing to the masses is the marketing goal. They’ve done good with that, but I feel it will harm the brand in the end. Horror isn’t appealing to the masses. It’s niche. It’s always been niche.

What happens when there is no TWD or AHS or StrTh? They aren’t going to last. It’s been good years for horror fans, but it’s tenuous. It’s not permanent. The cycle of popularity will end. It always does. 

Edit: Roddy left in 2009. It was a thing. Not going to go into that further. Don’t ask, but there was a thing. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ultimateforce said:

Welcome to HNN!

If you are staying onsite, you can get your event tickets in the hotel but even better - there is a special entrance for hotel guests to the right of the main entrance.  Just show your room key.  On Horror Nights evenings it can save you a good 30 min.

So I think it's safe to say to we could wait it out and see what Hollywood brings, I mean I love the teasing tweets that Orlando has been putting out, a lot of people take a offense to it and some recall it being like HHN 27 which is eh but I think it's worthy to wait to see what we get this year, I mean stuff happens and the thing is that I'm glad they are tweeting and throwing out teasing tweets than nothing at all. Stuff maybe happening behind the scenes but eventually we'll get something. I'm just gonna sit tight and wait it out, still on the rise from Avengers Endgame, an amazing film and I could see maybe Universal waiting it out to let the hype for it die down and especially since Gradbash is going on at Universal, so much stuff has been happening, I honestly wouldn't doubt for more and more stuff coming in June or before June who knows but it's a definitely safe that Universal knows that we are pretty much antsy about everything that they tweet and like to keep us on our feet and not make it feel boring and a little more like dangling a carrot in front of us, I mean yes doing things like this could also turn people off to the fact of even looking at the tweets and just waiting which it seems like now but others that are sticking with it, seem to want to know more and hopefully we'll get something. I hate to use the word Soon but eventually I guess lol.

1 hour ago, Legacy said:

I’ve been told the announcement was pushed back simply because the products Orlando needed for the announcement weren’t complete.

Could the "products" possibly be something like a teaser video to go with the announcement?