Halloween Horror Nights 29 Speculation

Mark M.

Since HHN 29 runs from 9/6/19 - 11/2/19, these are the dates I'm imagining HHN nights will be on if history is any indication...

Friday 9/6

Saturday 9/7

Sunday 9/8

Wednesday 9/11 (almost feel like they won't have it on this date)

Thursday 9/12

Friday 9/13

Saturday 9/14

Sunday 9/15

Wednesday 9/18

Thursday 9/19 

Friday 9/20

Saturday 9/21

Sunday 9/22

Wednesday 9/25

Thursday 9/26 

Friday 9/27 (for HHN 28, this date wasn't an HHN night due to the Microsoft event, so I'm sure that will be a thing again this year on some Wednesday or Thursday)

Saturday 9/28

Sunday 9/29

Wednesday 10/2

Thursday 10/3

Friday 10/4

Saturday 10/5

Sunday 10/6

Wednesday 10/9

Thursday 10/10

Friday 10/11

Saturday 10/12

Sunday 10/13

Wednesday 10/16

Thursday 10/17

Friday 10/18

Saturday 10/19

Sunday 10/20

Wednesday 10/23

Thursday 10/24

Friday 10/25

Saturday 10/26

Sunday 10/27

Wednesday 10/30

Thursday 10/31

Friday 11/1

Saturday 11/2

So that's a potential 42 nights we could get this year, although it will more than likely only be 40 with those two exceptions. 

Has there ever been talk of doing HHN on Monday's or Tuesday's? Or is that like a labor violation? 

48 minutes ago, MGregorio594 said:

Has there ever been talk of doing HHN on Monday's or Tuesday's? Or is that like a labor violation? 

If they are open Wednesday to Sunday that is your 5 day work week.  If you wanted to be open 7 days a week it would require a lot more people to be able to rotate and provide everyone a 5 day week.

You are right about Microsoft.  Their Ignite event (held at the Orange County Convention Center) would include a night, over the past couple of years, as their event ran in September, where they would provide their attendees with an option to buy HHN tickets and they would buy out the park.  That wont happen in 2019 as their show runs November 4 - 8.

Agree with you that the first two to 4 Wednesdays will not be active.  But, with the crowd levels being what they were last year I wouldnt put it past them.

Plus we can expect a definite increase in prices as they have already announced an increase in scareactor pay.

Edited by Ueeediot
  • Like 1

Hi folks!! Just wrapped up an exceptional piece of Netflix ... media ? I’m throwing out Black Mirror: Bandersnatch as a wonderful contendor for some event, if not 29. Look it up if you haven’t already heard of it, because it brings a lot to the table in the way of interactive film!

No spoilers here, but given the decision-making mechanic of the choose-your-own-adventure short film, A&E may have many routes to choose from in regards to what should be shown in the house. It’s possible that we could even see bits and pieces of all of the events and endings, with so many characters worth showing. Genres abound, from monsters to video game/glitch aesthetics to gore, could make this a concept with potential. I’m not sure what agreement Universal has with Netflix, but I feel that the concept is just the right level of unreal that it would work without too much exposition dumping while staying scary.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, itsabee said:

Hi folks!! Just wrapped up an exceptional piece of Netflix ... media ? I’m throwing out Black Mirror: Bandersnatch as a wonderful contendor for some event, if not 29. Look it up if you haven’t already heard of it, because it brings a lot to the table in the way of interactive film!

No spoilers here, but given the decision-making mechanic of the choose-your-own-adventure short film, A&E may have many routes to choose from in regards to what should be shown in the house. It’s possible that we could even see bits and pieces of all of the events and endings, with so many characters worth showing. Genres abound, from monsters to video game/glitch aesthetics to gore, could make this a concept with potential. I’m not sure what agreement Universal has with Netflix, but I feel that the concept is just the right level of unreal that it would work without too much exposition dumping while staying scary.

Bandersnatch won't happen.

Because

1) By next year, it will be irrelevant.

2) There's no horror element to it. Not enough to even act like it could work as a house.

3) The "completion" rate (people who actually play it through to multiple endings), I'll confidently assume, is going to be really low. The completion rate of Netflix Originals (amount of people who watches an entire movie or season of a show), is ACTUALLY what they use to determine interest.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MGregorio594 said:

Since HHN 29 runs from 9/6/19 - 11/2/19, these are the dates I'm imagining HHN nights will be on if history is any indication...

Friday 9/6

Saturday 9/7

Sunday 9/8

Wednesday 9/11 (almost feel like they won't have it on this date)

Thursday 9/12

Friday 9/13

Saturday 9/14

Sunday 9/15

Wednesday 9/18

Thursday 9/19 

Friday 9/20

Saturday 9/21

Sunday 9/22

Wednesday 9/25

Thursday 9/26 

Friday 9/27 (for HHN 28, this date wasn't an HHN night due to the Microsoft event, so I'm sure that will be a thing again this year on some Wednesday or Thursday)

Saturday 9/28

Sunday 9/29

Wednesday 10/2

Thursday 10/3

Friday 10/4

Saturday 10/5

Sunday 10/6

Wednesday 10/9

Thursday 10/10

Friday 10/11

Saturday 10/12

Sunday 10/13

Wednesday 10/16

Thursday 10/17

Friday 10/18

Saturday 10/19

Sunday 10/20

Wednesday 10/23

Thursday 10/24

Friday 10/25

Saturday 10/26

Sunday 10/27

Wednesday 10/30

Thursday 10/31

Friday 11/1

Saturday 11/2

So that's a potential 42 nights we could get this year, although it will more than likely only be 40 with those two exceptions. 

I doubt they have a labor union contract especially in right to work state. 
 Maybe in Hollywood. 
  Back in 2017 and quite of few other years not often, but it happens  that there is 7 day weeks of horror nights. 
 There was few special events that rented out stranger things making them work for 6 or 7 days this past run. 

13 hours ago, Ueeediot said:

If they are open Wednesday to Sunday that is your 5 day work week.  If you wanted to be open 7 days a week it would require a lot more people to be able to rotate and provide everyone a 5 day week.

You are right about Microsoft.  Their Ignite event (held at the Orange County Convention Center) would include a night, over the past couple of years, as their event ran in September, where they would provide their attendees with an option to buy HHN tickets and they would buy out the park.  That wont happen in 2019 as their show runs November 4 - 8.

Agree with you that the first two to 4 Wednesdays will not be active.  But, with the crowd levels being what they were last year I wouldnt put it past them.

Plus we can expect a definite increase in prices as they have already announced an increase in scareactor pay.

It's a difficult to tell. 
 More people would mean more training and more cost for the company, i.e make up and masks( back up actors) usually break things more time because things don't fit or untrained. 
 yet if you have the same cast for the whole run especially during the longest run ever then you run the risk or over working people. 
 The ticket price might be upped by 10% unnoticed change. If you think of it because you going to be getting ? what maybe / Strangers thing/ Ips - Hellraiser?  spykids ?   
 the thing that will fur sure go up is the cheap merch,  30 buck  for shirt. 
 I just wish that Orlando City walk had real Orlando Flair or local brewhouse or something like Hollywood citywalk has  Karl Strauss. Cheap but high quality beer like 6 $  beer with 7% abu

There will be a company in October.  Last year, there was 3?  

the only thing that contract is the event dates and who ever is actor A talent. 
 Hence why most of the Extra dates adding to the run is hard to staff because most actors work other jobs or already have plans. 

7 hours ago, Legacy said:

Because

1) By next year, it will be irrelevant.

2) There's no horror element to it. Not enough to even act like it could work as a house.

3) The "completion" rate (people who actually play it through to multiple endings), I'll confidently assume, is going to be really low. The completion rate of Netflix Originals (amount of people who watches an entire movie or season of a show), is ACTUALLY what they use to determine interest.

Valid. What are the thoughts on Black Mirror as a whole?

3 hours ago, itsabee said:

Valid. What are the thoughts on Black Mirror as a whole?

Exceedingly doubtful. Netflix doesn't wholely own the first three seasons (or, I think, the Christmas episode), so the rights would be complicated for a "series" based house. Even if it was easy, most of the series (in a similar fashion to Bandersnatch itself) is not "horror." There are a couple of episodes that skew scary, but the first episode (the thesis of the entire show) is about whether or not the Prime Minister will have sex with a pig on national television.

I agree with @Legacy on black mirror. 
Black mirror is more social experience reality.  
 They won't put that on a spotlight for horror theme event.  Netflix gets enough free marketing from letting stranger things be in three different hhn. 
 That's like trying to do all ahs in one house but in a tent. it's going to be hard to explain to non viewers.

I agree that Bandersnatch would not make for all that great of a house, but I certainly considered some routes of the film to fit in my umbrella of "horror", in an existential sense (maybe not the train route, but definitely the "chop 'im up!" route and subsequent ending). That being said, the horror there would be difficult to capture in a maze, as the whole tale has a very Poe-esque mental degradation narrative, while also akin to a "lost tape" creepypasta at it's wildest. 

I'm down for Stranger Things being the only Netflix allowance for a while. I haven't really made up my mind on whether Haunting of Hill House would make for an eclectic and entertaining enough maze.

Channel Zero is my only other real TV wish. Any season of the show moves through plenty of setpieces that would translate well in a maze setting. Plus the antagonists' costumes/makeup are always genuinely slick and inventive.

Aiello tweeted that he was watching Bride of Re-Animator today. Oh, to dreammm... <3 Man, a Stuart Gordon Lovecraft-adaptation montage house would be DIVINE

• Like 1

I saw Escape Room today and I definitely think it would make for a great house. I think it could take a Saw: Games of Jigsaw sort of approach, where you watch other people be tortured, but in this case, you would be watching people experience the escape room. If you add in a few jump scares from the people from the escape room company, this would make for a good house with many cool looking and visually appealing rooms.

• Love 1

20 minutes ago, BoSoxFan1022 said:

I saw Escape Room today and I definitely think it would make for a great house. I think it could take a Saw: Games of Jigsaw sort of approach, where you watch other people be tortured, but in this case, you would be watching people experience the escape room. If you add in a few jump scares from the people from the escape room company, this would make for a good house with many cool looking and visually appealing rooms.

wanna know what would be better? actually making it an escape room, like the respiratory thing they did in 2017

Edited by themazethinker
  • Like 1

Here's something: I was just looking through the official HHN Orlando Instagram page and realized that it's following the official Fantastic Beasts page. Does that say something? Or just Universal properties following other Universal-related properties?

My thoughts on this meaning anything WOULD be quelled by the fact that HHN also follows Fast & Furious, but F&F is a ride, and a more than likely cue/house location in the coming years for Horror Nights, but I feel like there's no current connection to Fantastic Beasts?

IMO some parts of Fantastic Beasts could be stellar for a house or something if it's properly scary. 

Edited by nebulaexpress

6 minutes ago, nebulaexpress said:

Here's something: I was just looking through the official HHN Orlando Instagram page and realized that it's following the official Fantastic Beasts page. Does that say something? Or just Universal properties following other Universal-related properties?

IMO some parts of Fantastic Beasts could be stellar for a house or something if it's properly scary. 

I always thought death eaters wandering around diagon alley would be sick.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, nebulaexpress said:

My thoughts on this meaning anything WOULD be quelled by the fact that HHN also follows Fast & Furious, but F&F is a ride, and a more than likely cue/house location in the coming years for Horror Nights, but I feel like there's no current connection to Fantastic Beasts?

That.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ueeediot said:

"How about suggestion of some sort of IP that we could get for HHN29?"

Its almost mid January.  Are we not way past the selection stage of the game?

Considering the rights issues of the past few years, we should never be past that stage of the game. 

Yes, I’ve resurfaced. I’m still not feeling holidays (check out the random thoughts thread for the why). It will probably be hit and miss from me this year. (Hit and miss autocorrected to hot and mess. FML). 

I’ll try to spec and clue give if info rolls my way. 

Onward my speculative friends

• Love 1

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 12:28 AM, themazethinker said:

wanna know what would be better? actually making it an escape room, like the respiratory thing they did in 2017

I doubt  the respiratory made it's money back, just like how those blinky skulls didn't sell very well. 

I would like to be on the record that I don't want them to fail. Yet, I love when they try new things.

18 minutes ago, littlegreenghouls said:

I doubt  the respiratory made it's money back, just like how those blinky skulls didn't sell very well. 

I would like to be on the record that I don't want them to fail. Yet, I love when they try new things.

The Repository has made or will make it’s money back. 

Watching certain technological implementations in the parks, one can see how things at HHN are used to test technology. The RFID in Horror Unearthed and 2013 LT was a test for RFID applications in other features of the park.

The VR in The Repository will probably come into play when the 4th gate opens. 

A true escape room experience is not feasible inside a park, but The Repository could test for popularity for such an attraction inside of City Walk. 

Even last year’s blinky skulls were most likely no more than a test run of technology to be used at a later date. 

• Like 1