Halloween Horror Nights 29 Speculation

Mark M.

There will never be an ip free event, after 2010, things were already under the higher ups control so there is not gonna be an icon year without ips, if they ever bring an icon back, sad but true they will make the ips the center of attention and kind of put the icon in one corner, of course, they didn't do it so much with Jack with 25 but very obvious with 26. Original ideas could happen but not without ips being used in those ideas to make everything come full circle pretty much how they did this year and back at 21 where they have everything tied together in some way or form. 

On 11/6/2018 at 8:19 AM, Legacy said:

Miramax. The same thing that kept it from happening at 28.

I don't think that'll stop Universal though from doing it, at the end its all about money, plus Blumhouse and Universal have such a great friendship, I can't see them stopping Halloween from coming to the event especially when Universal's named at the beginning of the trailer, in the promotions, Miramax has nothing to do with it, in all honesty, the only one that has control is pretty much Akkad, his father protected Michael and is the only one to go to when someone wants to do something with Michael, film-wise at least but as far of stopping Halloween coming to the event, Miramax has no right to. Unless Universal had gone and done Resurrection or so which I don't Universal wanted to do, I think they wanted to end with  the original Halloween, II and then saying why not end it with Halloween 4 and then bringing the reboot in. We'd see them do it with TCM back 2007 and then bringing the original 9 years later. So who knows at this point. All in all the movie is definitely a box office success and would make an amazing house. 

I will only agree to the extent that it is unlikely we will ever have an IP free event - but I only say that because house count has risen to the point it has.  Never is just too long a time.  Who would have thought the park would be owned by Vivendi or Comcast?  Who knows who will own it 10 years from now?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zombieman said:

I will only agree to the extent that it is unlikely we will ever have an IP free event - but I only say that because house count has risen to the point it has.  Never is just too long a time.  Who would have thought the park would be owned by Vivendi or Comcast?  Who knows who will own it 10 years from now?

That's a fair point. Forever is a long time, and especially long in entertainment. Who can say what the landscape will look like in a few years?

1 hour ago, zombieman said:

Comcast is by far the most stable leadership Uni has ever had. I haven’t agreed with several decisions of theirs, but I’ll take it over Uni supposedly being on the verge of closing prior to Potter. Pretty strong parallels to Eisner’s tenure at Disney.

Edited by OhHaiInternet95

On 11/5/2018 at 10:33 AM, Ueeediot said:

The scare zone was nothing more than a Selfie/Instagram  zone.  I am not exaggerating about seeing a family bring their 1 year old to the event to get pictures with clowns.

I'm actually fine with that. I stand by the fact that two of the cutest things I've ever seen were a small child in last year's Invasion! scarezone hugging and high-fiving an alien, and a little girl in the Trick 'r Treat scarezone getting one of the werewolf princesses to sign her plastic battleax for her. 

That's just wholesome, that.

13 hours ago, HorrorUnearthed said:

I don't think that'll stop Universal though from doing it, at the end its all about money, plus Blumhouse and Universal have such a great friendship, I can't see them stopping Halloween from coming to the event

I don't know, the Mouse is a fickle beast. And Miramax, whether during the Weinsteins-era or not, have always been pretty difficult to do business with.

Blum did an interview with Forbes recently that makes the Miramax block seem even more likely. Like in the following quote:

JB: "We worked on it. We tried it, John tried really hard, and I tried really hard too, but the winds were not behind us on that one. However, hopefully, that'll happen for next year, potentially we could make it happen. We'd like to try."

The only other guess I might find reasonable is that Orlando wants to save H2018 for their 30th because of how popular it was. That leaves next year to either finish off the original Myers "era" with an H5 house (how this would be all that different from H4, I have no clue), or do Curse, or skip over 2 of the worst 3 movies in the pre-Zombie franchise's history and go right for H20. Because H20 is awesome. :)

Then again, in my perfect dreamworld, "The Horrors of Blumhouse" would be replaced altogether with "The Horrors of Argento". Or Bava. Or Fulci. Or Cronenberg. So what do I know? :p

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HorrorUnearthed said:

I don't think that'll stop Universal though from doing it, at the end its all about money, plus Blumhouse and Universal have such a great friendship, I can't see them stopping Halloween from coming to the event especially when Universal's named at the beginning of the trailer, in the promotions, Miramax has nothing to do with it, in all honesty, the only one that has control is pretty much Akkad, his father protected Michael and is the only one to go to when someone wants to do something with Michael, film-wise at least but as far of stopping Halloween coming to the event, Miramax has no right to. Unless Universal had gone and done Resurrection or so which I don't Universal wanted to do, I think they wanted to end with  the original Halloween, II and then saying why not end it with Halloween 4 and then bringing the reboot in. We'd see them do it with TCM back 2007 and then bringing the original 9 years later. So who knows at this point. All in all the movie is definitely a box office success and would make an amazing house. 

Miramax owns the rights. They reverted to them (from Dimension) in 2015. So yes, it can stop Universal from doing Halloween 2018. Blumhouse simply co-financed the film. Universal distributed.

So, even though Blumhouse was the creative lead, it's not their personal Play-Doh, and Universal's seat in this discussion is at the kids' table. Universal tried to do 2018 this year and Miramax wouldn't play.

Universal could do Halloween 4 because Miramax has no claim to that film.

6 hours ago, Legacy said:

Miramax owns the rights. They reverted to them (from Dimension) in 2015. So yes, it can stop Universal from doing Halloween 2018. Blumhouse simply co-financed the film. Universal distributed.

So, even though Blumhouse was the creative lead, it's not their personal Play-Doh, and Universal's seat in this discussion is at the kids' table. Universal tried to do 2018 this year and Miramax wouldn't play.

Universal could do Halloween 4 because Miramax has no claim to that film.

I also heard that there are new rights issues that would prevent any future use of the John Carpenter 1978 Halloween film from future HHNs.. Is there any truth to that rumor?

Because of the ticket booth prop put into Carnival Graveyard on the last night, with the words "I'M BACK"... And there supposedly being a photo of The Usher behind it, does this mean we can see The Usher return as the Icon next year for his 10th anniversary?

• Like 1

Here is my November Predictions.

Icon: (if any) Usher

Originals: Mariana trench monsters theme, Leave It to Cleaver pt 2, (one of the UltraViolent Comics seen in Seeds of Extinction), Classic Monsters, House Of Wax

IP's: Stranger Things Season 2, Chucky, Blumhouse's Halloween and Happy Death Day 2U (BH comp house), Psycho (hopeful but not probable), Zombieland

Killer Klownz would be a horrible house. No scares and a waste of venue.

33 minutes ago, FaceBagman said:

Leave It to Cleaver seems like a very real possibility, since they were favoring that trailer a lot in the queue screens.

Havoc played a lot too. Though I'm not a big fan of the Havoc stuff.

Usher coming back would make me ecstatic. :)

Eh, they play those same trailers every year. Plus, Killer Klowns will likely be THE comedy house next year.

• Like 1

Yay! I'll chime in so someone can tell me my list sucks too!

Stranger things 2

Happy death day 2

Hill house

Halloween 2018 (he's done every other one..)

AHS Apocalypse 

The Nun

La llarona

(Wild card) Escape room because conceptually....why not

Terror tram: Washington DC trump election day (ok ok I had to) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dykealiscious said:

Stranger things 2

Happy death day 2

Hill house

AHS Apocalypse 

The Nun

La llarona

Wrong side of the country ;) but I like it!

On 11/8/2018 at 9:28 AM, FaceBagman said:

I don't know, the Mouse is a fickle beast. And Miramax, whether during the Weinsteins-era or not, have always been pretty difficult to do business with.

Blum did an interview with Forbes recently that makes the Miramax block seem even more likely. Like in the following quote:

JB: "We worked on it. We tried it, John tried really hard, and I tried really hard too, but the winds were not behind us on that one. However, hopefully, that'll happen for next year, potentially we could make it happen. We'd like to try."

The only other guess I might find reasonable is that Orlando wants to save H2018 for their 30th because of how popular it was. That leaves next year to either finish off the original Myers "era" with an H5 house (how this would be all that different from H4, I have no clue), or do Curse, or skip over 2 of the worst 3 movies in the pre-Zombie franchise's history and go right for H20. Because H20 is awesome. :)

Then again, in my perfect dreamworld, "The Horrors of Blumhouse" would be replaced altogether with "The Horrors of Argento". Or Bava. Or Fulci. Or Cronenberg. So what do I know? :p

Dario Aregento's Suspiria 
Mario Bava's Black Sunday or Black Sabbath 
Lucio Fulci's Zombie 

David Cronenberg's The Fly 

I could see these being houses with some little things from Universal to do the films justice and had some original elements I guess but I would love to see these films be recreated lol 

On 11/8/2018 at 10:30 PM, FaceBagman said:

Leave It to Cleaver seems like a very real possibility, since they were favoring that trailer a lot in the queue screens.

Havoc played a lot too. Though I'm not a big fan of the Havoc stuff.

Usher coming back would make me ecstatic. :)

I could see em but I'm not quite sure what they would do with Leave It To Cleaver, I mean yes there are plenty ideas but maybe have them on hold for a later time especially after the trailer featured in Slaughter Sinema Barber Chop with the character has some sort of relation to Meetz, Havoc, I mean the first one was good, the second was interesting a lot of people say its good or bad, I just say for 2013, it was just there. I would love to see the Usher come back but I hope they treat him well just like all the others icon that they need to treat and give recognition like they had for Jack in 2015 because Chance had not been given the treatment as much in 2016.

3 hours ago, dykealiscious said:

Stranger things 2

Happy death day 2

Hill house

AHS Apocalypse 

The Nun

La llarona

It doesn't really suck, the line up is good but might have changes, Stranger Things 2 could be possible, Happy Death Day 2 U could be for Hollywood next year while we might be getting second like we had gotten it this year when last year Hollywood had it tied with Insidious and Purge, The Haunting Of Hill House I could see Universal saving after their deal with Stranger Things, Halloween 2018 is very touch since Miramax and others have kinda tried to downplay Universals' chances of getting the property to the event this year and maybe next year as well, so we might be seeing Halloween 5 coming next year, AHS Apocalypse I could see Universal saving because they like to do the AHS houses in trilogies, Hollywood wants to do em separately but idk if Disney has stopped Universal from acquiring the rights from them to bring it back since they haven't done Cult, The Nun, I could see it happen but Warner Bros are very controlling of their property and rather have it at their Horror Made Here event where they also had IT and so forth this year. La Llorana, I could see more for Hollywood, possibly for Orlando but both coasts have made their original take on the Urban Legend, so idk how they would go about it. Universal have done The Repository which was like an extreme house type escape room where you have to go room to room and do tasks, I don't much about it because I didn't get a chance to experience my time at the event. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dykealiscious said:

Stranger things 2

Happy death day 2

Hill house

AHS Apocalypse 

The Nun

La llarona

I'm really looking forward to Escape Room coming out next year. Gives off a very heavy Saw V vibe which I like. If we get Escape Room that could leave us with other IP options like Zombieland (How cool would it be to see a Bill Murray zombie in a house?!?!?) Or I Know What You Did Last Summer. The latter I'm not sure how well it could translate into  full haunted house, but Universal has surprised me before. All these titles are released by Columbia, a company without a huge horror background.

Typically from what weve seen, when HHN goes outside Universal for IP content there is a contract involved where if we want one IP we have to take on another. We saw it last year with MGM with Poltergeist and Childs Play. And in 2009 with Lionsgate: Saw, My Bloody Valentine. 

I'm still 50/50 about La Llorna and direction they are going to take in regards to the story. The only problem with La Llorona is that it is being distributed by Warner Bros and they're doing their own thing with Horror Made Here.

Edited by killswitch22

Alright, anyone have ideas for another "open floor" house? The only thing I can think of right now is a Nightingales sequel, but I'd rather them save that for 30. CGY wasn't anywhere near as "open" as I thought it would be--there were one, maybe two scenes that fit that description. I'm curious, does anyone know if they could've fit that ferris wheel from 17 in there?

Anyways, I'm trying to think of possible new ideas for scares/houses, but to no avail. For the complaints some have about them needing "fresh blood," haven't they just about done it all (that's legal)? Maybe it's just because I don't go to other haunts, but I'm curious as to what types of scares could make their way (I did see the description of the swamp scare at Knott's, so that's one).

One idea I had for a scare is to place a vehicle on one side of the guests and place a mirror on the other side, a good distance from guests, to give the impression that there's two identical vehicles on either side. An SA would then push the mirror toward guests to give the impression the vehicle is hurtling towards them. Of course, guests would still be in the mirror--so it's flawed.

But I'm trying to come up with new ideas, soooo. Isn't that part of what spec should be for?

49 minutes ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

Alright, anyone have ideas for another "open floor" house? The only thing I can think of right now is a Nightingales sequel, but I'd rather them save that for 30. CGY wasn't anywhere near as "open" as I thought it would be--there were one, maybe two scenes that fit that description. I'm curious, does anyone know if they could've fit that ferris wheel from 17 in there?

One of my ideas is a Toys R Us type store that's been abandoned and turned into a Spirit Halloween (without the brand names), and the two parts are pretty open - The Halloween store part is kinda small, but you can still see the rest of the Halloween store, and once you get to the breadth of the old toy store you'd be walking through a replica of an empty Toy R Us, full of toys, Halloween decorations, and manchildren refusing to grow up. And it'd be built like a Toy store, so you'd have a lot of places where you can see the horror in the aisles before or after you get to that scene.

As stated, the monsters are basically Schittie's Kids all grown up and raiding a Halloween store.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

50 minutes ago, DocNiktMarr said:

One of my ideas is a Toys R Us type store that's been abandoned and turned into a Spirit Halloween (without the brand names), and the two parts are pretty open - The Halloween store part is kinda small, but you can still see the rest of the Halloween store, and once you get to the breadth of the old toy store you'd be walking through a replica of an empty Toy R Us, full of toys, Halloween decorations, and manchildren refusing to grow up. And it'd be built like a Toy store, so you'd have a lot of places where you can see the horror in the aisles before or after you get to that scene.

As stated, the monsters are basically Schittie's Kids all grown up and raiding a Halloween store.

Me likey.