Halloween Horror Nights 2019 Speculation

Yeah when they said houses and then looked at the Q&A twitter, Murdy says that yes there are 10 houses this year with The Walking Dead attraction counting as one of them which was noticeable but I cannot wait for what else they will add to the event, it's cool that the website got an awesome update and a lot of cool additions to the tickets, wish I could travel over there to do the Preview Night, sounds really cool lol

1 hour ago, dykealiscious said:

Why is this thread so dead this year?

Last year's crapfest about did me in.  Maybe others are also not looking forward to 10 houses of plain black hallways.

In my opinion, in order to add 2 houses, they need a pretty significant budget increase even if you consider the loss of the tram.

Are we going to see the budget blown on one or two houses again and 8 state fair quality houses?  My Magic 8 ball says: MOST LIKELY.

I'm in no rush to attend this year; will wait to read the reviews online.  Meanwhile, I'm going to the good HHN the last week of Sept.

1 hour ago, CharleneTheDM said:

But I'm new to the board and HHN, so I'm just enjoying reading all the posts and getting insights and tips :)

Welcome to the board!  Please don't let my negative opinions of HHN Hollywood dissuade you from having a good time.  I'm a jaded old man.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zombieman said:

Last year's crapfest about did me in.  Maybe others are also not looking forward to 10 houses of plain black hallways.

In my opinion, in order to add 2 houses, they need a pretty significant budget increase even if you consider the loss of the tram.

Are we going to see the budget blown on one or two houses again and 8 state fair quality houses?  My Magic 8 ball says: MOST LIKELY.

I'm in no rush to attend this year; will wait to read the reviews online.  Meanwhile, I'm going to the good HHN the last week of Sept.

Welcome to the board!  Please don't let my negative opinions of HHN Hollywood dissuade you from having a good time.  I'm a jaded old man.

I also feel like other boards have just become more...attractive in terms to HHN discussion. Why that is, I wouldn’t know but I feel like Inside Universal has kinda stepped into the “Big HHN Forum” slot even with not being fully HHN focused.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2019 at 3:31 PM, themazethinker said:

so um...

D-QFqNEWsAEdp1v.png

FREAKZ's logo is on there, so I'm guessing this is either shopped or watermarked. The maze seems cool and, as long as budget increases, we could be getting a really gnarly year.

I think this is photoshopped, the picture is from the Ghostbusters video with just the two terrordogs just added onto the picture, I mean idk, hopefully they have a better image than this because it just doesn't seem like they'd go for this one. Probably just the generic Ghostbusters logo or something. 

I do not think there is room for cars at either end of the tunnel, and it has to allow actual traffic through during the day.  Expect the same old same old.

But I hear great things are planned for HHN 2024's ToXXXXXXXXic Tunnel.

11 hours ago, zombieman said:

I do not think there is room for cars at either end of the tunnel, and it has to allow actual traffic through during the day.  Expect the same old same old.

But I hear great things are planned for HHN 2024's ToXXXXXXXXic Tunnel.

Another problem, they say the tunnel is toxxxic, but how do cartoon monsters relate to "toxxxic"?

Also, is the music still going to be dubstep, or are they going to change that to fit the car club theme (Jesus Built My Hotrod, Dragula, I Can't Drive 65, Kickstart My Heart, ETC)? Or dubstep remixes of such songs?

On 7/6/2019 at 4:12 AM, DocNiktMarr said:

Another problem, they say the tunnel is toxxxic, but how do cartoon monsters relate to "toxxxic"?

Also, is the music still going to be dubstep, or are they going to change that to fit the car club theme (Jesus Built My Hotrod, Dragula, I Can't Drive 65, Kickstart My Heart, ETC)? Or dubstep remixes of such songs?

Honestly, I have expectation it will be any different from the last two years of Toxic Tunnel.  Even as the Purge and TWD, it was pretty much the same thing.  Not much you can do with this - Murdy said as much.  They get a banner, rails, fog and lights long the walls.  

I would definitely kill the dubstep and the crazy random lights.  Try to make it dramatic with maybe two lighting patterns that they alternate every couple of minutes.  Train the staff to behave one of two ways - have one light sequence be a "go crazy and attack" mode.  The other a heavy fog into which they slink back and hide.   Likewise two audio sequences to match. 

At least that would shake things up a bit from past years.  But even my idea doesn't play into a car club in the slightest.  I really don't get how they will pull it off.  Why would there be a car club in or near a tunnel?  Why would a car club operate near a toxic waste dump?  Do car club people wear dumb outfits like that?  This is another leave your brain at the door scarezone - HHN has had plenty of those.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2019 at 9:05 PM, zombieman said:

Honestly, I have expectation it will be any different from the last two years of Toxic Tunnel.  Even as the Purge and TWD, it was pretty much the same thing.  Not much you can do with this - Murdy said as much.  They get a banner, rails, fog and lights long the walls.  

I would definitely kill the dubstep and the crazy random lights.  Try to make it dramatic with maybe two lighting patterns that they alternate every couple of minutes.  Train the staff to behave one of two ways - have one light sequence be a "go crazy and attack" mode.  The other a heavy fog into which they slink back and hide.   Likewise two audio sequences to match. 

At least that would shake things up a bit from past years.  But even my idea doesn't play into a car club in the slightest.  I really don't get how they will pull it off.  Why would there be a car club in or near a tunnel?  Why would a car club operate near a toxic waste dump?  Do car club people wear dumb outfits like that?  This is another leave your brain at the door scarezone - HHN has had plenty of those.

I’m pretty sure the reason they’re calling it toxic is because of the designs being based off of Toxic Toons

5 hours ago, HHN Pro 2 said:

I've never been to HHN in Hollywood, and I've heard it's often pretty bad. Is that true?

Compared to HHN Orlando, yes, it's pretty terrible.

Kind of like how a Sizzler steak is really pretty good......until you've gotten a taste of a perfect filet mignon.

• Like 1

Haven't been in here in awhile, wow it's dead!

It just seems patronage, as someone else stated, for WHATEVER reason is much higher on that other forum.

I do miss this site quite a bit and wish people would venture back this way.

I don't know if I've put my thoughts here, but I'm... like Zombieman... skeptical of this year.

The last 2 years have put a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. While I liked last year quite a bit, it still wasn't up to standard.

I don't care how many originals, fan nights, cult IPs, or budget increases they're getting from ridding of the tram -- something just seems off.

From the speculation, House of 1000 Corpses returning? But why?

Ghostbusters, while fun and inventive, has a lot of potential. But that means it could go either way -- AVP or TITE. And something tells me this will be on the TITE spectrum. I just don't think HHNH does comedy well in their houses.

Creepshow? Killer Klowns?

Is Stranger Things and US really the most current things they could get a hold of?

I know a lot are praising these decisions as the next coming of Jesus, but I think I've just been a bit jaded by HHNH. Plus it being an odd numbered year and it feeling never quite up to quality on those years -- especially if last year wasn't even that good.

In a way, I wish HHNH would just focus on 3-5 solid great mazes. It was CONSISTENT back than.

If they wanted to do something risky, it would actually be considered a risk.

When Alice Cooper announced, I flipped my top but at least the maze was more than decent. They had the time to give it the TLC it needed.

Maze numbers started to increase and they started doing forgettable mazes like Black Sabbath.

Now it's like, "eh, 10 mazes, why not do EVERYTHING?"

They use to be VERY picky about what they wanted to do and they always knocked it out of the park because they had laser focus.

10 mazes is TOO many for one person to handle, IMO. Knotts has like 3 creative directors over 8-13 mazes and they only have maybe 3-5 new mazes a YEAR, yet Murdy is tackling all of this alone?

I fear 10 may be spreading it too thin, especially when half of the good IPs are at WB or Fox.

HHN put itself in a creative corner by being an IP based park (which, admittedly, I used to love), but now the well has run dry.

Will this make them more creative or default to lazy?

The First Purge was only LAST YEAR. I don't have high hopes.

Regardless, you know I'll be first in line come opening time. Ugh, I'm such a shill.

• 2 weeks later...