Opening weekend experiences

sadbunny

• 5 weeks later...

I know this thread is old but I was disappointed it was so empty!! I went on the opening Saturday and Sunday, so I have some things to share that I loved.

One thing that I noticed from literally day 2 of the event onward was that some of the carnies in the Simpsons scarezone would frequently hide behind the pillars on either side of the bridge that connects it to Diagon Alley across the water just to pop out at the guests on their way over ! It’s always fun to watch the scareactors stoop down and peep over the wall to select a good victim.

I’m sure it’s not an opening weekend-only thing, but one thing that made the event much more personalized to me was in Sting Alley close to Killer Klowns. Being so used to the concept of WDW’s Instagram walls, I found Sting Alley with its colorful lighting to be ideal for silly, artsy photos to mess around with. As I climbed the steps to the (guest-accessible: no rule breaking) loading platform near the wooden doors and posed for a fun picture, I noticed one of the klowns that had evidently noticed me enter and strayed to a spot almost in Sting Alley BEHIND the ice cream truck to stare at me and wiggle his fingers in greeting. This experience was really neat as it took that particular scareactor out of their crowd and almost out of their entire zone just to focus on creeping me out.

In addition, correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m fairly certain that Ernest Lee didn’t do his (now retired) barrel thing on opening weekend. I may have just been watching it at the wrong time, but I remember him smiling, reaching over our heads, and saying, “I see you’ve met the family!” with no barrels.

6 hours ago, itsabee said:

In addition, correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m fairly certain that Ernest Lee didn’t do his (now retired) barrel thing on opening weekend. I may have just been watching it at the wrong time, but I remember him smiling, reaching over our heads, and saying, “I see you’ve met the family!” with no barrels.

He did it on 2nd weekend.  Not sure about opening weekend.

1 hour ago, itsabee said:

When exactly did they take it out? I know it was around the end of September, but does that mean it was basically only there for two weeks or so?

No idea.  I went 9/20-9/23 and it was happening on 9/20 only (I think that's what I mentioned in my review).  Didn't happen on any other night.  But think about what is happening - those cans are crashing together with enough force to eventually crumple them every few nights.   As they are crumpling slowly from each and every hit, paint flakes and metal shavings are falling.  I bet you if you hung a plastic sheet below it and did the effect 50 times, you'd see lots and lots of debris caught on that sheet.  Great effect, but something is going to land in someone's eye.  No way it could continue for long.  I don't see how that got from the drawing board stage to implemented.