Halloween Horror Nights 28 Discussion

Mark M.

They really needed a Barney in the doorway going to Seeds. He wouldn't even have to break contractual obligation. He could just be Barney. It would have been hilarious and possibly terrifying. 

also, here is my brief event review:

Had to fly back to Vermont today and I had one of the best times of my life at the event. I can say I liked Poltergeist and Dead Exposure the best, but there is a 7-way tie for third. Everything was great. My girlfriend and I went through Seeds all by ourselves which was kind of magical and Blumhouse as well. I would have loved any 80's property instead of another Blumhouse, but the scareactors were outstanding and I had a ton of fun. I was in a long conga for Halloween, but it was like the house was out to get me. I got everything both times I did it. I loved it. Stranger Things was an excellent re-creation of the show with great actor likenesses and I went through enough to see all of them. Scary Tales was so yummy in my tummy! Carnival was super cool and extra fun to see behind the screams, Slaughter Sinema was a ton of fun and is now well represented in my wardrobe, Trick r Treat is maybe last because it felt short to me, but I still quite enjoyed it. Vamp and Chucky were my favorite zones and the Klowns were crazy entertaining. Tradition had the Pumpkins had foggy lighting I so enjoy and Harvest wasn't much to write webpage about, but I liked the big puppet arm guys. On Horror Nights days, I walked 10 miles a day and loved every minute of it. I've only been to 2007 and 2008 in Hollywood and 25, 27 and 28 in Florida, but this is by far my favorite year. I feel very stupid for any disappointment I had that the original list of properties were wrong. I think I'm going to need to find a way to go every year from here on in

Edited by TheRobcat
  • Like 4

I have a question:

What is the draw to film/photograph scareactors walking to and from set? We are (for the most part....at least in Trick 'R Treat) in black robes with our costumes and faces covered. There really isn't anything cool to see, so why would you film or photograph that. It really baffles me....

2 hours ago, Tman875 said:

I have a question:

What is the draw to film/photograph scareactors walking to and from set? We are (for the most part....at least in Trick 'R Treat) in black robes with our costumes and faces covered. There really isn't anything cool to see, so why would you film or photograph that. It really baffles me....

the wind, the wind as you walk by shows off the costume. Ive seen it many times. Ive never taken pictures of video, but i've gotten clear glimpses of the actors costumes and ive noticed details that were not noticeable in the house. your head alone will show the mask or make up, since you have to look where you are going. Or, sometimes the actors will do something funny like walk funny or dance or jump or something, ive noticed little funny moments like that. 
Also it might just be interesting for people to have the recording as kind of an inside footage of something no one else sees. i guess people might think it is like a glimpse into the inside of HHN. even if it really is just people in robes, it is still something no one else gets to see

2 hours ago, Tman875 said:

I once stood in line for 45 minutes for the Potter ride in Hollywood and there was a cute girl in front of me, attempting to take the perfect selfie the entire time.  She'd take out her phone, take 5 poses, carefully look at each one, then delete them, then put away her phone.  30 seconds later she repeat the whole process.  Narcissism, OCD, or both.  Not quite sure I understand the draw to do that either.

It's cool to see a cast change happening (as long as it's not slowing down my line B)) but I've never had the urge to take a picture of it.  

I often take a picture of the wait time for each house before I enter the queue, but that's only to get a timestamp.  Still, it must look pretty strange to others.

On 10/5/2018 at 7:15 PM, TheRobcat said:

On Horror Nights days, I walked 10 miles a day and loved every minute of it. I've only been to 2007 and 2008 in Hollywood and 25, 27 and 28 in Florida, but this is by far my favorite year. I feel very stupid for any disappointment I had that the original list of properties were wrong. I think I'm going to need to find a way to go every year from here on in

Oh, you've been bitten good.  The only thing that's gonna keep you away at this point is a spouse and/or a baby.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, marc said:

UO just posted tonight is sold out. Good luck to anyone going!

Wow!!! I don't recall any other time in recent memory that HHN Orlando has been sold out. Curious so on "sold out" nights how does that affect FFP holders, is there a cap on how many can be let in? Or there is none? How does that work?

Hey everyone, I used to post here regularly though I can't remember my username but I finally after so many years of wanting to go went to HHN Orlando with my brother. 

Needless to say, we were both disappointed like no other. 

We got in at about 8 after coming from Islands of Adventure and were both pumped to see everything.

And all we got to see were two houses and I think at most, one scare zone. The two houses were Stranger Things and Poltergeist and the wait was about 100+ minutes. We wanted to see hopefully all the movie IP houses but by the end of Poltergeist and waiting over a hour we were so bummed out we just hit the gift shop and left. We should have just bit the bullet and got the express pass or something as this definitely left a bad memory after hyping it up in my head for so long..

Sorry for the long first post but I just need to vent. 

9 hours ago, SATX said:

Hey everyone, I used to post here regularly though I can't remember my username but I finally after so many years of wanting to go went to HHN Orlando with my brother. 

We got in at about 8 after coming from Islands of Adventure and were both pumped to see everything.

And all we got to see were two houses and I think at most, one scare zone. The two houses were Stranger Things and Poltergeist and the wait was about 100+ minutes. We wanted to see hopefully all the movie IP houses but by the end of Poltergeist and waiting over a hour we were so bummed out we just hit the gift shop and left. We should have just bit the bullet and got the express pass or something as this definitely left a bad memory after hyping it up in my head for so long..

Sorry to hear about your rough experience. You definitely need to plan ahead in order to make the most of the night. The crowds this year have been some of the biggest in recent memory. If you decide to go back or try again next year, definitely get there much earlier. The express pass is really a must if you want to take your time and get through all of the houses in one night. Hopefully you give it another shot. 

11 hours ago, SATX said:

Sorry to hear that, SATX.  It's unfortunate, but an Express pass is pretty much the only way of seeing everything at HHN in mid October.  Or getting there before the park opens and even then you need to have a plan and follow it to the letter.  Know that all of the biggest haunt events around the country are like this.  The industry is booming and lines are long everywhere.  

You did manage to hit the best house this year (Poltergeist), so I hope at least that was good.  But a great three minutes doesn't make up for hours of lines. 

On 10/13/2018 at 7:34 AM, Rikku said:

Wow!!! I don't recall any other time in recent memory that HHN Orlando has been sold out. Curious so on "sold out" nights how does that affect FFP holders, is there a cap on how many can be let in? Or there is none? How does that work?

Being a much smaller park, Hollywood used to sell out all the time and they would let you in if you had any hard ticket (including FFP).  I guess Orlando can play by their own rules, but I'm thinking they cannot keep a FFP holder out.  If they reached legal capacity, then it would be akin to airlines overselling tickets.  They must make it right somehow if a ticketholder is damaged by overselling.

Really, this should be a wake-up call to anyone who has experienced a "packed park" during HHN.  Evidently, those people don't know what "packed" really is.  

I was checking wait times on my Uni Orlando app on Friday and every house was over 100 min.  Any reports from the battlefield?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zombieman said:

Being a  much smaller park, Hollywood used to sell out all the time and they would let you in if you had any hard ticket (including FFP).  I guess Orlando can play by their own rules, but I'm thinking they cannot keep a FFP holder out.  If they reached legal capacity, then it would be akin to airlines overselling tickets.  They must make it right somehow if a ticketholder is damaged by overselling.

Yea I think that is all we can go with until anyone says otherwise didn't hear of any FFP holders being denied entrance on the sold out night so should be clear if it happens again.

From what I can find online “sold out” means they cut off ticket sales for that particular night both online and at the gate. Any valid tickets (FFP, ones bought at Publix, etc.) for that night would be honored and you’d be allowed in. The event sold out both last Friday and Sunday nights. Reports I saw on Facebook said Sunday was way busier than Friday. 

• Like 2

I don't think that "sold out" means that they expect the park to be at capacity. From my understanding, it means that the projected attendance has reached where they're comfortable that they can put on a good show for everyone.

AKA diminishing returns. Basically, they could sell more tickets and let people in, but the amount of "feel bads" and issues from the guests outweigh the additional sales.

• Like 2

Hi ! This is my first post ever, as I just found out about this site and read through this whole thread. My boyfriend Jake is member of the reserve cast, meaning that he fills in whenever someone (of his body type or similar) calls out.

Since he’s there, I chose to get the Frequent Fear Plus Pass on Friday. He got a message before the event even began that they had sold out, so we were initially worried that would mean I couldn’t buy that pass and get in. However, even on sold-out nights, they do not cut off the sale of multi-night passes, interestingly !

As for the busy nature of this weekend, I was there; it’s true that Sunday felt much thicker and difficult to handle than Friday. I manage to go through Halloween 4 seven times (to see my guy) over the course of the night on Friday, while even back of the park houses like Seeds of Extinction got up to 105 on Sunday. The shortest wait over the entire night other than in the very beginning and end of the event was Trick ‘r Treat at 45.

Sorry for the super long post!! I hope it helps, though!

• Like 2

On 10/15/2018 at 12:24 PM, zombieman said:

Sorry to hear that, SATX.  It's unfortunate, but an Express pass is pretty much the only way of seeing everything at HHN in mid October.  Or getting there before the park opens and even then you need to have a plan and follow it to the letter.  Know that all of the biggest haunt events around the country are like this.  The industry is booming and lines are long everywhere.  

You did manage to hit the best house this year (Poltergeist), so I hope at least that was good.  But a great three minutes doesn't make up for hours of lines. 

Being a much smaller park, Hollywood used to sell out all the time and they would let you in if you had any hard ticket (including FFP).  I guess Orlando can play by their own rules, but I'm thinking they cannot keep a FFP holder out.  If they reached legal capacity, then it would be akin to airlines overselling tickets.  They must make it right somehow if a ticketholder is damaged by overselling.

Really, this should be a wake-up call to anyone who has experienced a "packed park" during HHN.  Evidently, those people don't know what "packed" really is.  

I was checking wait times on my Uni Orlando app on Friday and every house was over 100 min.  Any reports from the battlefield?

On 10/15/2018 at 10:03 AM, TheShape1031 said:

Sorry to hear about your rough experience. You definitely need to plan ahead in order to make the most of the night. The crowds this year have been some of the biggest in recent memory. If you decide to go back or try again next year, definitely get there much earlier. The express pass is really a must if you want to take your time and get through all of the houses in one night. Hopefully you give it another shot. 

Well good news everyone, looks like my brother and I are getting a second chance at getting the full Halloween Horror Nights experience tomorrow night! How busy is it generally on Wednesdays though? Since my brother and I already did the Stranger Things and Poltergeist houses we're definitely going to hit up Halloween 4, Trick 'r Treat, and the Blumhouse houses first in that order most likely. Oh, and we're also going to arrive earlier than 8 last time. Unfortunately though, we couldn't afford express passes so what would everyone recommend to do first so we get the full experience? Also I know on the website it says to arrive before five but what would you guys recommend? Is the opening scaremonies worth staying to see?

Sorry for all the noobish questions but we're definitely trying to have a much better experience this time around.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SATX said:

Also I know on the website it says to arrive before five but what would you guys recommend? Is the opening scaremonies worth staying to see?

Opening scaremonies isn't worth it but to take advantage of the evening and get as many houses done as possible with a minimal wait time, absolutely worth it. Then you shouldn't have to worry so much about what you can do. It is a hustle but just attack the houses right away as soon as you get in and then you can have a more chill night when wait times start to peak 

14 hours ago, itsabee said:

Hi ! This is my first post ever, as I just found out about this site and read through this whole thread. My boyfriend Jake is member of the reserve cast, meaning that he fills in whenever someone (of his body type or similar) calls out.

Since he’s there, I chose to get the Frequent Fear Plus Pass on Friday. He got a message before the event even began that they had sold out, so we were initially worried that would mean I couldn’t buy that pass and get in. However, even on sold-out nights, they do not cut off the sale of multi-night passes, interestingly !

As for the busy nature of this weekend, I was there; it’s true that Sunday felt much thicker and difficult to handle than Friday. I manage to go through Halloween 4 seven times (to see my guy) over the course of the night on Friday, while even back of the park houses like Seeds of Extinction got up to 105 on Sunday. The shortest wait over the entire night other than in the very beginning and end of the event was Trick ‘r Treat at 45.

Sorry for the super long post!! I hope it helps, though!

Thanks for the info and welcome to the forum!!!

9 hours ago, SATX said:

Well good news everyone, looks like my brother and I are getting a second chance at getting the full Halloween Horror Nights experience tomorrow night! How busy is it generally on Wednesdays though? Since my brother and I already did the Stranger Things and Poltergeist houses we're definitely going to hit up Halloween 4, Trick 'r Treat, and the Blumhouse houses first in that order most likely. Oh, and we're also going to arrive earlier than 8 last time. Unfortunately though, we couldn't afford express passes so what would everyone recommend to do first so we get the full experience? Also I know on the website it says to arrive before five but what would you guys recommend? Is the opening scaremonies worth staying to see?

Sorry for all the noobish questions but we're definitely trying to have a much better experience this time around.

I can’t speak for this set of weeks, but I can say that I’ve done Blumhouse twice and both times were literally a walk-on. I participated in Stay and Scream on opening weekend and went right through, did Seeds of Extinction, saw an old friend who was on her ways to Blumhouse, and joined her for yet another walk-on at about 6:30. I don’t know when it starts to accumulate a wait, but it’s certainly a more unpopular house this year and I doubt it gets bad at all, especially early in the event!

13 hours ago, SATX said:

Without Express it will be a grind, but if you can get there when it opens I would recommend going to the back of the park first as most people will head to Stranger Things, Halloween and Poltergeist first. if you do that, you should be able to get on the mazes in the back fairly quickly and work your way back towards Halloween. 

13 hours ago, SATX said:

I would recommend doing Carvinal graveyard and scarytales first, then do blumhouse and then sinema and dead exposure then seeds and trick r treat and then halloween 

Because Seeds and trick or treat will have short lines until around 7:30 or 8 pm, but Carnival and scary tales can get long since everyone goes that way. 

Or you could do carnival and scary tales and then do halloween and then trick r treat and seeds and then dead exposure and sinema and leave blumhouse last, 

But either way, the houses that will get the longer lines (Besides stranger things and Polter which you already did) are carnival and scary tales. Halloween also can get longer but thats later on. 

Sinema and dead exposure get longer lines before trick or treat or seeds, the houses with the lowest lines tend to be those two. 

1 minute ago, TheShape1031 said:

Without Express it will be a grind, but if you can get there when it opens I would recommend going to the back of the park first as most people will head to Stranger Things, Halloween and Poltergeist first. if you do that, you should be able to get on the mazes in the back fairly quickly and work your way back towards Halloween. 

the back of the park stays kind of empty until 7:30 

I always leave the ones at the back for last because they never get a long line. if SATX wants to do carnival and scary tales, those should be first with halloween because the lines for those will be longer later in the night 

Sinema will not get long until later. 

14 hours ago, SATX said:

Unfortunately though, we couldn't afford express passes so what would everyone recommend to do first so we get the full experience? Also I know on the website it says to arrive before five but what would you guys recommend? Is the opening scaremonies worth staying to see?

If the lines are bad and you can swing it, be on the lookout for "After Xpm Express" being sold at the event.  They will be a fraction of the price of a regular Express.

4 minutes ago, zombieman said:

If the lines are bad and you can swing it, be on the lookout for "After Xpm Express" being sold at the event.  They will be a fraction of the price of a regular Express.

After Xpm express? What's that? 

Thinking maybe though to hit H4 last and go do TrT first then work around counter clockwise from there. 

8 minutes ago, SATX said:

After Xpm express? What's that? 

Sometimes they sell Express passes during the event that are good after a certain time.  i.e. "After 11PM Express".  No guarantee of the time, place, or price, or if they will even offer them.  You will usually see a little pop up stand outside of shops (i.e. near MIB or Hello Kitty) where they sell them.  They may open for an hour or till they sell the few they have.  Price could be $40, $50 - whatever.  Not worth hanging around and wasting valuable time waiting for something that may not happen.  Just keep an eye out.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tman875 said:

Additionally, Seeds and T 'R T die off around the end of the night and become walk-on if you wanted to be there until the park closes.

This is absolutely true!! For purely selfish (seeing Jake as a Bloom creature) reasons, I did Seeds about five times Sunday night. The wait got wayyyy up to 105 (yikes!!!!) but could otherwise be a solid 45. At 1:00-ish I got back in line (posted 25) and got through in about 15, waited with the ops crew for the 1:45 cast change, and had plenty of time to do the house, leave, and re-enter the queue. At this point, I was able to do it with literally no wait, to the point that I considered letting the solitary couple ahead of me go on so I could go through the house completely alone!!

Wanted to give a wait time update according to app.  Boy, it’s crowded!

These are the wait times for midnight 10/17 (Wednesday)

Carnival Graveyard: 40

Dead Exposure: 45

Halloween 4: 70

Poltergeist: 85

Scary Tales: 50

Seeds of Extinction: 35

Slaughter Sinema: 40

Stranger Things: 90

Blunhouse: 65

Trick R Treat: 40

• Mark M. featured and unfeatured this topic
  • Mark M. unpinned this topic