Traveling during a hurricane

MGregorio594

Hey everyone, probably not the right thread to put this in, but is anyone out there familiar with how flying during a hurricane works? I feel somewhat selfish even asking such a question in the midst of a category 4 that will wipe out homes, but I am supposed to be flying from Newark into Orlando Friday morning for opening night. As of right now Hurricane Florence is expected to make landfall somewhere between the Carolina's Friday morning. In past years, has anyone dealt with flying through a hurricane? I would imagine commercial airlines can fly over hurricanes or go around them, but I'm probably being too optimistic because I'm sure it's more complicated than that. If anyone has had to deal with this, and I imagine some must have, please let me know as I am curious whether or not I will be able to get into Orlando by Friday. 

Keep checking the news and your flight for changes or delays.  Booking an early flight is smart because you are less likely to fall victim to a domino effect from delays.

If the flight is delayed, then delayed again, there is a good chance it will be cancelled.

Airlines often let you make changes for FREE under these circumstances, even if it's to a later day.  You can do this online; just make sure it won't be charging you for the change.

If you are at the airport and your flight gets continually delayed, ask for compensation.  They will most likely give you a $20 meal comp.

Universal is VERY accommodating.   They will gladly let you reschedule your ticket (even UTH tour).  Universal Hotels are great for this, too.  Other hotels may not be.  car rentals are always cancellable free of charge.

Even if you manage to fly in without incident, you need to consider how the weather will affect HHN.  High rains often clear out the park, but can cause flooding in houses.

But in the case of Florence, I would assume Orlando would be clear of bad weather.

To anyone in the affected areas: stay safe.   You are in our thoughts.

I would not worry too much about a Newark to MCO flight.  And I wouldnt be too worried about a massive domino effect as Charlotte is really the only major airport in the path of this storm that should be affected.  The key to watch out for is if the Atlanta airport is affected.  As THE busiest airport in the world, that one WILL cause issues if it is affected. 

Your flight time might increase a bit to accommodate a bit of a bend around the storm.  Imagine instead of the typical straight line you might end up over Knoxville and down the pathway through Georgia instead of over SC and into FL by that path.  I doubt you'll have too much of an issue unless the storm suddenly turns left, like today, and heads directly west, which would be extremely odd behavior.  This storm is going to make landfall near Outer Banks around the SC/NC border.  It is a massive storm and will cover most all of SC and it is expected to sit there and meander like Harvey did in Houston which could be devastating.  But, it shouldn't affect Orlando or much travel.  But, it is going to cause me to close the pool 2 weeks early.  Jerk.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ueeediot said:

I would not worry too much about a Newark to MCO flight.  And I wouldnt be too worried about a massive domino effect as Charlotte is really the only major airport in the path of this storm that should be affected.  The key to watch out for is if the Atlanta airport is affected.  As THE busiest airport in the world, that one WILL cause issues if it is affected. 

Your flight time might increase a bit to accommodate a bit of a bend around the storm.  Imagine instead of the typical straight line you might end up over Knoxville and down the pathway through Georgia instead of over SC and into FL by that path.  I doubt you'll have too much of an issue unless the storm suddenly turns left, like today, and heads directly west, which would be extremely odd behavior.  This storm is going to make landfall near Outer Banks around the SC/NC border.  It is a massive storm and will cover most all of SC and it is expected to sit there and meander like Harvey did in Houston which could be devastating.  But, it shouldn't affect Orlando or much travel.  But, it is going to cause me to close the pool 2 weeks early.  Jerk.

Thank you so much for the response! I'll take a 5 hour long extension to the flight as long as I can get there lol. Just gotta hope ATL doesn't see any impacts.