Horrors of Blumhouse

Mark M.

The-Horros-of-Blumhouse-Return-to-Halloween-Horror-Nights-2018-1170x731.jpg

This is not a test. This is Universal Orlando’s Halloween Horror Nights…announcing the commencement of an all-new Horrors of Blumhouse haunted house.

Featuring scenes from the hit films Happy Death Day and The First Purge, this haunted house will have you running for your life. Survival is key as you encounter not only Happy Death Day’s Babyface Killer, but also the nation’s very first wave of Purgers.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, happy bunny rabbit said:

Yeah I've stated elsewhere but HDD has interesting design potential and TFP actually being designed for The Purge shouldn't hurt.

Not at the bottom of my hype list, but definitely not near the top.

Last years Blumhouse House left a bad taste in my mouth so this one unfortunately is at the bottom of my list. Partially due to the fact that I like my houses to have a linear story. Not jumping from completely different movies. I’m hoping this surprises me though. TFP could have some awesome sets with close quarters and great masks. 

Well I definitely prefer our movie selection for our Blumhouse house over the ones Hollywood is getting. I really liked Happy Death Day and think it’ll make a good fun section of a house. I’m sick of the Purge at the event and find it pretty boring but maybe it’ll be better executed since it sounds like this is the first time the House was designed for it from beginning. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Last years Blumhouse House left a bad taste in my mouth so this one unfortunately is at the bottom of my list.

That's a bit silly. You can't judge a house on previous entries in the series, especially if its a dang mash-up series!

49 minutes ago, ScottEdmondson41 said:

Well I definitely prefer our movie selection for our Blumhouse house over the ones Hollywood is getting.

I agree but only barely.

Honest to god, I wouldn't care if we got HDD or Unfriended, they're equal in terms of design potential IMO. One has fun ideas with repeated rooms, and the other can get very abstract and trippy.

I only prefer Purge over Truth or Dare due to costume design, as the possibilities and designs with TFP are vastly more interesting than ToD's.

9 minutes ago, theshift said:

I think its disappointing. Its been predicted for a while now. But it still sucks. They had potential to do a whole 80s vibe event. There so many IPs they could have gotten. But oh well. 

Not entirely within their control. Horror Made Here and Disney's Fox acquisition are in large part to blame.

Edited by OhHaiInternet95

Happy Death Day totally fits the 80's slasher vibe, even though it takes place in this era.

17 minutes ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

Not entirely within their control. Horror Made Here and Disney's Fox acquisition are in large part to blame.

You say blame, I say blessing. God forbid these tighten the noose around the use of non-Universal IPs for the event. or better yet, in Orlando's case, marketing/higher-ups to back down and let A&D do their thing with more original content. IPs can slip in here or there via the old-school method of HHN- "loosely based" (Demon Cantina, Body Collectors, Interstellar Terror, etc).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

They could have gotten tales from the crypt, my bloody valentine, sleepaway camp. Hellraiser. etc

Also I have to say the IP's are what started my interested in Horror Nights in the first place. They are absolutely crucial to being people in.

They've already done all of the above (1995/1996, 2009, & 2006), except for Sleepaway Camp. And again, I think you're missing the point of corporate synergy. The First Purge promotes the film coming soon to bluray, Happy Death Day promotes current bluray sales while also hyping next year's sequel. You shouldn't be begging for an IP dominated event, that is how you get trapped in an endless loop of more of the same- just like in Happy Death Day. Just look at Hollywood's event.

IPs are NOT crucial to bringing people into the event. That is completely not true at all... just look at Knott's Scary Farm. They've been doing their event for 45+ years now without needing to rely on IPs to bring in the masses every year. Even with repeat content, other haunt events still bring in people year after year without the use of an IP. Believing that IPs are crucial to haunt events is the reason why & how the haunt event industry gets lazy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WESKER69 said:

They've already done all of the above (1995/1996, 2009, & 2006), except for Sleepaway Camp. And again, I think you're missing the point of corporate synergy. The First Purge promotes the film coming soon to bluray, Happy Death Day promotes current bluray sales while also hyping next year's sequel. You shouldn't be begging for an IP dominated event, that is how you get trapped in an endless loop of more of the same- just like in Happy Death Day. Just look at Hollywood's event.

IPs are NOT crucial to bringing people into the event. That is completely not true at all... just look at Knott's Scary Farm. They've been doing their event for 45+ years now without needing to rely on IPs to bring in the masses every year. Even with repeat content, other haunt events still bring in people year after year without the use of an IP. Believing that IPs are crucial to haunt events is the reason why & how the haunt event industry gets lazy.

I agree with the first paragraph. Disagree with the second. I generally like the originals FAR more than the IPs (although strangely enough my favorite house at 26 was an IP, one that many disliked).

Most people who are newcomers to HHN have no idea about the originals. I'm not saying that to belittle people who are drawn to the event via TWD/AHS/Saw/Stranger Things, but to highlight the fact that their attendance shot up starting in 2012. As zombieman said a couple months ago, an average newcomer will hear about something like Scarecrow and understandably not get that excited--it's a house with scarecrows, and those are done all across the country. But they have AHS? Almost no haunts have access to an IP that big! Of course, that tide might be turning a little bit, and I couldn't be happier.

Edited by OhHaiInternet95

But again... when you look at haunts that have been going strong much longer than HHN without the use of an IP or even "NEW" content, IPs are definitely not crucial to bringing in the masses. All it requires is good marketing. Marketing is what sells an event, not an IP... at least that is how it is supposed to work. Sadly, Orlando fell down the Hollywood rabbit hole of IP's for advertising, despite the fact that the event did just fine with a killer iconic logo or icon. As I said, Knotts has been doing their event for 45+ years with 90% non-IP related content, so clearly they know what they're doing. In California, HHN does not reign supreme, sad but true.

• Like 1

I am excited about Happy Death Day. I experienced it in Hollywood last year. 
 I am not sure if it's going to be same design as Hollywood, would same cheaper to use the same designs? 

I didn't care for the first purge film, I enjoy the purge series. 
 I think the first purge, is 70% outdoors.  so Idk how they work that into the tent? house. I know they will work magic.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy, I can't wait to be attacked by dudes in hoodies with cheap-o masks on!

In all seriousness, I feel better about this blumhouse than the last one. More time to flesh out the two (shallow) stories, and I won't be running from a demon named "baghoul", which is just a silly name. Plus, I hope they learned not to have the same finale as last year bc that paint room gave me a legit headache

On 8/20/2018 at 4:36 PM, WESKER69 said:

IPs are NOT crucial to bringing people into the event. That is completely not true at all. Believing that IPs are crucial to haunt events is the reason why & how the haunt event industry gets lazy.

Side Note: I love Sleepaway Camp! 

Anyways, I think that the majority of fans of the event that are on the Facebook page are starting to realize that the Original houses are usually better. Not always though. For example in 2014 when we got the first Halloween house, it was the best that year.... But I am seeing more posts and speculation about the originals. I have a full post/thread I want to start about how social media has influenced and changed HHN as a whole, but this is not the place for that. But the more people talk about the originals the more we will see them. Of course there will always be IPs but maybe the number of them will eventually drop. 

On 8/20/2018 at 5:55 PM, WESKER69 said:

But again... when you look at haunts that have been going strong much longer than HHN without the use of an IP or even "NEW" content, IPs are definitely not crucial to bringing in the masses. All it requires is good marketing. Marketing is what sells an event, not an IP... at least that is how it is supposed to work. Sadly, Orlando fell down the Hollywood rabbit hole of IP's for advertising, despite the fact that the event did just fine with a killer iconic logo or icon. As I said, Knotts has been doing their event for 45+ years with 90% non-IP related content, so clearly they know what they're doing. In California, HHN does not reign supreme, sad but true.

Advertising. Something that Orlando did so well. And I truly miss it. They had the best websites, commercials, and billboards. Their marketing was too notch. But going back to what I was saying above, that’s one of the things that social media has changed about this event. The best build up/website they have done (in my opinion) was 2008. It was fantastic. But we haven’t seen anything like that in a long time. 2006 was fun and had cool animations/sound effects, 2007 had fun games to play, 2009 had that model of the theater they used. But since then? It’s sad not seeing commercials anymore, and billboards. I would always get hyped seeing them while driving to work. It made me so excited about the event. But I honestly would be happy with them doing a crazy good website again. Alright, rant over. I will save it for my post/thread. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Didn't get a great run on this one, but I thoroughly enjoyed HDD and thought the first room of TFP was kinda cool...the rest was terribly bland.

I think they recreated the feeling of HDD's climactic kills that go straight into a serene room well. I had the exact same feeling in the house as I did while watching the film, where my brain would get confused as to whether I was supposed to be scared or not, and in the house having scares IN the rooms was great.

They also got some really impressive sets in here: the opening tunnel and the parking garage felt more like SS or Parade house set material.

Overall, probably my least favorite of the event, but isn't terrible. Will give it a few more runs just to give it a chance, we didn't get that many scares on out first run.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with Rikku (but maybe not call that section of the house GARBAGE), I made sure to watch First Purge theatrically having a strong feeling it was gonna be at HHN28 whether in house or scarezone form...sure enough, its HALF a house. They really tried given the film's material (the exploding stuffed doll scene was cool as was the finale with the gov't employees), but it was too little to work with IMO.

Also agree with many of you that HDD could've worked as a FULL house. Not sure why they insist on doing Blumhouse anthology houses...can't it just be 'Blumhosue presents' and 1 featured title?

Last note: I noticed in the HHN Headquarters store, Blu-Rays of both Unfriended and Truth or Dare are being sold...makes me think they'll bring the Hollywood House over next year for HHN29...kinda hoping NOT as I didn't care for Unfriended nor do I have ANY interest in Truth or Dare!

• Like 2

This house isn't... Bad per se. It's just okay.

The HDD part is hands-down the best part of the house since it follows the movie very well, and of course you have Babyface everywhere. I also love the surprise Babyface in the transition from HDD to TFP (also, they should have a surprise Babyface at the end of the house rather than the purger).

Then... Ya got The First Purge. Let me just say this right off the bat: This section sucks. Even thought it's literally built to be Purge, it still feels tacked on and like it replaced a different property. The scares are out-in-the-open rather than cleverly hidden like in HDD, and... It's Purge. It feels exactly like Scream The Purge from 2015. And I've already said it before, but: The Purge, no matter what, doesn't make a good house. It's not meant to be a house. It lends itself to be a scare zone more, and the two we've had were both some of the best scare zones HHN has ever had.

I really don't get why this couldn't have just been "The Horrors of Blumhouse: Happy Death Day" or just "Happy Death Day". HDD lends itself to be a house, and it makes a great half-house in here, but then it has to end and become more Purge. Like, is there some sort of contract that requires them to have the house involving Purge or something?

But anyway, this house is just okay. If it were all HDD, it'd probably be a good, maybe even great house. But nope, TFP has to ruin everything.

If THoBH returns next year (which, unfortunately it probably will), I'd like to see them do Happy Death Day 2 U, and just HDD2U. And if they're to do two properties again, then Happy Death Day 2 U and... The Girl? Since it's in Hollywood's house this year, I could see them doing The Girl.

Rating: 3/5

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HHN Pro said:

If THoBH returns next year (which, unfortunately it probably will), I'd like to see them do Happy Death Day 2 U, and just HDD2U. And if they're to do two properties again, then Happy Death Day 2 U and... The Girl? Since it's in Hollywood's house this year, I could see them doing The Girl.

I thought you were kidding about HDD2U.  Then I looked it up and realized it's a real thing.  And we are now all going to relive that horror.  Thanks for ruining my day.  

However, I do agree that the HDD part was the least sucky-est half of the house.  I'm not sure it sucked less than any part of last year's, as I've been able to purge most of it from my memory.

The Girl was easily the best part of the Hollywood house, and I think it was better than any of the actual Blumhouse movies Hollywood (or Orlando) has done.  I so wish they had used the budget for this one to have B&T this year.  Hell, I would have even settled for them on the old AOV stage.  Or an effing appearance in Vamp 85.  Anything.  Instead we got a fairly solid 9 houses..........and Blumhouse.  yay...

• Like 1

• Mark M. changed the title to Horrors of Blumhouse
  • Mark M. unpinned this topic