Academy of Villains: Cyberpunk

Mark M.

aov-1170-731.thumb.jpg.0d2aa8718e0a28e5935981edbbf417ae.jpg

The powerhouse dance crew, Academy of Villains, is returning for their third consecutive year. This year’s performance will be taken to the next level with an all-new show jam packed with mind-bending entertainment. Stay tuned for more details.

1 hour ago, littlegreenghouls said:

Hopefully their stage doesn't break again. 
 I think could cool. 
 I might not watch it because I don't do dance shows. 
 I am glad that they are bring back some fan favorites. 

Provided we don't get hit by another hurricaine like that again, I don't think it should be a problem, and even if we do, I don't think they would make the mistake of leaving it up again. 

Edited by Futurion

The new description mentions a few entertaining surprises along the way... Maybe some hope for a pop culture parody section? Cause I doubt they could do an entire 30-minute show of just dancing and neon lights in that large of a venue. 

39 minutes ago, Legacy said:

Jabbawockeez do a 70 minute show in Vegas, in a similar sized venue.

Fun fact: The Jabbawockeez show used to be 90 minutes, but it took too long to cycle the audience - taking around 15 minutes just to wake everyone up.

3 hours ago, HHN Pro said:

The new description mentions a few entertaining surprises along the way... Maybe some hope for a pop culture parody section? Cause I doubt they could do an entire 30-minute show of just dancing and neon lights in that large of a venue. 

A pop culture parody?  That sounds PERFECT for HHN.  They should run with that idea.

1 hour ago, zombieman said:

Fun fact: The Jabbawockeez show used to be 90 minutes, but it took too long to cycle the audience - taking around 15 minutes just to wake everyone up.

A pop culture parody?  That sounds PERFECT for HHN.  They should run with that idea.

I meant do it as a small part of the show, since the pop-culture parodies is what made Bill & Ted so popular and attracted people into the theater every night. I'd be surprised if they didn't. 

1 hour ago, HHN Pro said:

I meant do it as a small part of the show, since the pop-culture parodies is what made Bill & Ted so popular and attracted people into the theater every night. I'd be surprised if they didn't. 

Prepared to be surprised.

They didn't announce auditions, and it's something AoV does. They lead the development of their own show.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Legacy said:

Prepared to be surprised.

They didn't announce auditions, and it's something AoV does. They lead the development of their own show.

Hm. Here's to hope Academy of Villains can keep such a big audience for a 30-minute show the whole event... 

34 minutes ago, HHN Pro said:

Hm. Here's to hope Academy of Villains can keep such a big audience for a 30-minute show the whole event... 

AoV has a lot better chance than Jabbersnoozees.  I've been impressed with all of the HHN AoV shows so far.

8 hours ago, HHN Pro said:

Jabbawockeez do just fine at HHN, last year being their best performance yet. They created a great themed show complete with a queue video/pre-show to entertain guests while they waited to be let into the theatre. It also helped set up the premise of the show as well. Hopefully they create something great this year too because last year's show got me to see it every night (unlike the first two years). As far as AoV is concerned, you should really look up their performance videos. Hell, even their first year at Orlando was top notch. Trust me, they'll be just fine. And a 30min high-energy dance show is not hard to do, nor keep the audience into it. Especially when you have amazing talent.

On 8/16/2018 at 6:06 PM, mz_ said:

Here is the new logo released on the Orlando webpage! 

aov-logo.jpg

^...um.. yea, I'm going to need that as a tshirt if they have them available :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/8/2018 at 9:50 PM, Cody said:

Yeah the actual show is 100% different except for slight makeup similarities.

Yeah, only one piece of music from that video makes it into the show, and the choreography for that song is entirely different. The Horror Nights show is much more linear and has a plot. It's also 100% fucking awesome. 

the show this year is annoying and a little bit boring. adding a story and being so closed to it hurts the show. One of the highlights and one of the biggest strengths of the older shows was their playfulness and the guest interaction with the audience.  The reason it was cool to watch them before was because not only were the dance sets cool, but their attitude was very likable. 

The new show cancels all that out. they lost a lot of the appeal with the terminator storyline. and with the way the stage is set up. they totally got an upgrade on the visuals but the show lost its soul. 

the terminator stuff is kinda boring to be honest. is not as cool as the mental hospital of 2 years ago. the dance sets are kinda silly within this story too. 
Reminded me a lot of Captain EO but not in a good way. its like a more annoying and less charming version of Captain EO 

Edited by clash
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, clash said:

the show this year is annoying and a little bit boring. adding a story and being so closed to it hurts the show. One of the highlights and one of the biggest strengths of the older shows was their playfulness and the guest interaction with the audience.  The reason it was cool to watch them before was because not only were the dance sets cool, but their attitude was very likable. 

The new show cancels all that out. they lost a lot of the appeal with the terminator storyline. and with the way the stage is set up. they totally got an upgrade on the visuals but the show lost its soul. 

the terminator stuff is kinda boring to be honest. is not as cool as the mental hospital of 2 years ago. the dance sets are kinda silly within this story too. 
Reminded me a lot of Captain EO but not in a good way. its like a more annoying and less charming version of Captain EO 

I agree 100% with your assessment.  The audience participation part was a turn off for me.  A good show doesn't need to beg the audience to have fun.  And the wave? It hasn't been a thing for 30 years.  Oh wait, it's a slow motion wave!  That's totally different.  Whatever.  That mental hospital storyline was brilliant, as it was set in Shadybrook.  Is there any better way of being accepted as a new show than to tie into a fan favorite of the event?  This year is devoid of anything HHN related, and it's just not hooking me.  Been to HHN 4 nights and only did this one time.  Had no desire to see it again.  I saw the 2016 show every night, and 2017 most nights.  And this is not my B&T bitterness showing.  I wanted to like this show.

• Like 3

Clash and Zombieman hit the nail on the head!  As Clash said, the playfulness from years past (most memorable being HHN 26) didn't translate and I didn't get instantly "energized" when wtching the show the way me & my teens did the first year...we stopped and watched it 3 times I remember and obsessed over downloading most of the songs from the show. :)

Like zombieman, I went 4 times this year (Rush of Fear), saw it our 2nd visit & when returning the 3rd & 4th times took a consensus with my kids...should we watch AOV again? We all agreed...naaah!

That said, the show isn't HORRIBLE by any means, loved the screen/anime style fight & the laser light fingers was awesome...but was definitely a one & done.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, zombieman said:

I agree 100% with your assessment.  The audience participation part was a turn off for me.  A good show doesn't need to beg the audience to have fun.  And the wave? It hasn't been a thing for 30 years.  Oh wait, it's a slow motion wave!  That's totally different.  Whatever.  That mental hospital storyline was brilliant, as it was set in Shadybrook.  Is there any better way of being accepted as a new show than to tie into a fan favorite of the event?  This year is devoid of anything HHN related, and it's just not hooking me.  Been to HHN 4 nights and only did this one time.  Had no desire to see it again.  I saw the 2016 show every night, and 2017 most nights.  And this is not my B&T bitterness showing.  I wanted to like this show.

8 hours ago, jorgito2001 said:

Clash and Zombieman hit the nail on the head!  As Clash said, the playfulness from years past (most memorable being HHN 26) didn't translate and I didn't get instantly "energized" when wtching the show the way me & my teens did the first year...we stopped and watched it 3 times I remember and obsessed over downloading most of the songs from the show. :)

Like zombieman, I went 4 times this year (Rush of Fear), saw it our 2nd visit & when returning the 3rd & 4th times took a consensus with my kids...should we watch AOV again? We all agreed...naaah!

That said, the show isn't HORRIBLE by any means, loved the screen/anime style fight & the laser light fingers was awesome...but was definitely a one & done.

the event this year is an 80s event, and they could have done SO many retro things with it.... they could have had a vampire show that connected to Vamp 85 scarezone, they could have had so many other things that tie to the 80s, so many cool ideas for costumes or make the show a party style show. make it fun and quirky and enjoyable

the terminator show is such a drag in an otherwise fun event. even Dead Exposure has a  quirkiness to it. everything else in the park feels retro or fun and quirky, and then you go to this show and the story is so serious and dark.... but then you have dance numbers in this terminator style story... ugh... even the high energy dance numbers dont make sense with the story and tone they set up. 

• Mark M. changed the title to Academy of Villains: Cyberpunk