Twisted Tradition

Mark M.

szoc_twisted_sus_1440x900.jpg

Travel through the forest of Central Park where an ancient evil has been awakened. Halloween has been transformed into an abomination with rotting pumpkins fused with decaying human flesh. Try and escape the grasps of these fetid beings, with nothing but the light from rotting jack o’ lanterns to guide you.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/15/2018 at 3:35 AM, Midnight Detective said:

Does anyone know what's going on with the two scare actors by the church? There's a woman in a white dress with a flashlight and a cheerleader. I think they're apart of this zone but I'm not quite sure what the deal is

I'm pretty sure they are just supposed to be people being attacked. I ran into a guy holding a binder he didn't try to scare me but he was definitely in costume. Some zones have people who like beg for help I think its that kind of a deal.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2018 at 8:15 AM, sadbunny said:

I'm pretty sure they are just supposed to be people being attacked. I ran into a guy holding a binder he didn't try to scare me but he was definitely in costume. Some zones have people who like beg for help I think its that kind of a deal.

That seems to be the case but they're all located in the church area, away from where the creatures are in the park. There's now roughly about 5 of them - they're in stereotype trope outfits: nerd, cheerleader, etc.  I'm assuming there's more to the areas lore that was either dropped in description or these characters were added in front of the church to keep it from being a dead area.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2018 at 7:23 PM, Midnight Detective said:

That seems to be the case but they're all located in the church area, away from where the creatures are in the park. There's now roughly about 5 of them - they're in stereotype trope outfits: nerd, cheerleader, etc.  I'm assuming there's more to the areas lore that was either dropped in description or these characters were added in front of the church to keep it from being a dead area.

So last night I finally got the answer to my question from a video I stumbled upon - the church contained the spirits/ancient beings/evil of the zone. The victim characters accidentally unleashed it upon the park area. The victims are running scared and the pumpkins are coming to life. 

13 minutes ago, Midnight Detective said:

So last night I finally got the answer to my question from a video I stumbled upon - the church contained the spirits/ancient beings/evil of the zone. The victim characters accidentally unleashed it upon the park area. The victims are running scared and the pumpkins are coming to life. 

Unsure if the characters did necessarily open the church - know of the video you’re talking about - but they ARE lore related.

Apparently, according to my boyfriend who filled in as a reserve there last Sunday, the human characters represent tropes of the horror genre - white dress is supposed to be the “virgin,” for example. The flashlights they hold have the ability to flicker, and that light flickering is the cue for a small mini-show in which the pumpkin-human hybrids in the area surround and “possess” the human victim(s).

Jake wasn’t officially taught the lore, as he is reserve, but his stage direction and fellow actors told him that the procedure is based on the story, as the rotting pumpkins need human hosts to inhabit so they don’t rot away. The church may not have anything to do with it, but definitely could!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, itsabee said:

Unsure if the characters did necessarily open the church - know of the video you’re talking about - but they ARE lore related.

Apparently, according to my boyfriend who filled in as a reserve there last Sunday, the human characters represent tropes of the horror genre - white dress is supposed to be the “virgin,” for example. The flashlights they hold have the ability to flicker, and that light flickering is the cue for a small mini-show in which the pumpkin-human hybrids in the area surround and “possess” the human victim(s).

Jake wasn’t officially taught the lore, as he is reserve, but his stage direction and fellow actors told him that the procedure is based on the story, as the rotting pumpkins need human hosts to inhabit so they don’t rot away. The church may not have anything to do with it, but definitely could!!

That finally makes the dead girl in the pumpkin make sense! Thank you, I was really interested but confused by this zone. Do you have any other insight on zone/house lore for this event? I feel like a lot of thought was put into things that were shown but not told and I missed a bit of it

23 minutes ago, Midnight Detective said:

That finally makes the dead girl in the pumpkin make sense! Thank you, I was really interested but confused by this zone. Do you have any other insight on zone/house lore for this event? I feel like a lot of thought was put into things that were shown but not told and I missed a bit of it

I understand! I didn’t get it either until he explained it! I hung out in TT to watch him for full 45-minute sets so I finally got to see the light thing happen, but I still wasn’t entirely sure what was going on.

In Seeds of Extinction, you’ve probably seen the Blooms - there are three of them, and they are vine-covered creatures with colorful flower-esque detailing on the top of their heads. The stage direction is intended to be that they hold their leafy arm up in front of their face, which essentially looks like a dab, and then rapidly uncover it to reveal the toothy, spiny mouth of the creature, hence the “blooming.” It’s very hard to see in the dark and rapidness of the scare and not all scareactors do it.

Carnival Gravyard and Scary Tales share a breakroom, so it’s not uncommon to see the falling clown from Carnival interacting with the Scary Tales characters during cast changes since he stays in character (will post a photo of the clown swooshing the witch’s cape sometime)! Poltergeist and Stranger Things also share a room, so he got to see the kids and all (all women) just hanging out.

The giant skull demon head that lights up and slightly moves in Poltergeist is a full-body harness that is very rigorous to get into. He didn’t actually get to see it in action, as he was one of the skull demons later in the house, but he did get to see the harness during one of his returns to set.

This isn’t lore or behind the scenes, but The Harvest deals with some of, if not THE, worst guest behavior in the park. Since everyone goes through that zone to get to Stranger Things, whereas Killer Klowns is a little out of the way, guests that don’t even care for the zones or the actors still show up and act just any way they please. Hitting, provoking, yelling at, heckling, and purposefully getting in the way of actors has been so, so prevalent all season. Jake’s roommate is a staff-carrying creature (if you have seen the one that performs very large leaps and bounds toward guests that seem inhuman over on the Stranger Things side, that’s him!!), and too often do guests step in front of him or his staff, or attempt to touch/take it from him. They’re just rude. It sucks.

Oh! And obviously almost all Sams are women! An older, very short lady that was in Jake’s house last year, maybe in her late 40s, is a reserve who is frequently cast as Sam. Maskless Sam’s headpiece is very painful, and the sheets Sams on either side of the vomit/sheet ghost scene in ToT is very difficult as there is very limited visibility. The Sams in that room are not choosing victims to scare, because they can’t see them at all. It’s completely random.

Even with the women thing, though, the vampire boy in ToT is played by a male, at least in one cast! He just happens to be super short!

If you have any specific questions about any houses or zones, hit me up! I know a lot of things I can still talk about, and I personally know scareactors in almost every zone now!!

Edited by itsabee
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, itsabee said:

Carnival Gravyard and Scary Tales share a breakroom, so it’s not uncommon to see the falling clown from Carnival interacting with the Scary Tales characters during cast changes since he stays in character (will post a photo of the clown swooshing the witch’s cape sometime)! Poltergeist and Stranger Things also share a room, so he got to see the kids and all (all women) just hanging out.

I saw the cast of Scary Tales doing a cast change last night when I was walking into Poltergeist funny enough. They we're all really friendly and waving to people in the line!

31 minutes ago, itsabee said:

The giant skull demon head that lights up and slightly moves in Poltergeist is a full-body harness that is very rigorous to get into. He didn’t actually get to see it in action, as he was one of the skull demons later in the house, but he did get to see the harness during one of his returns to set.

All the work is worth it, this scare made half my group freak out

56 minutes ago, itsabee said:

his isn’t lore or behind the scenes, but The Harvest deals with some of, if not THE, worst guest behavior in the park. Since everyone goes through that zone to get to Stranger Things, whereas Killer Klowns is a little out of the way, guests that don’t even care for the zones or the actors still show up and act just any way they please. Hitting, provoking, yelling at, heckling, and purposefully getting in the way of actors has been so, so prevalent all season. Jake’s roommate is a staff-carrying creature (if you have seen the one that performs very large leaps and bounds toward guests that seem inhuman over on the Stranger Things side, that’s him!!), and too often do guests step in front of him or his staff, or attempt to touch/take it from him. They’re just rude. It sucks.

Wow thats a real bummer, I heard it was rough there. 

59 minutes ago, itsabee said:

Jake’s roommate is a staff-carrying creature

He scared the pants off of one of my friends :D

Thanks for all the information! This is all so interesting to me

On 11/3/2018 at 12:20 PM, itsabee said:

Oh! And obviously almost all Sams are women! An older, very short lady that was in Jake’s house last year, maybe in her late 40s, is a reserve who is frequently cast as Sam. Maskless Sam’s headpiece is very painful, and the sheets Sams on either side of the vomit/sheet ghost scene in ToT is very difficult as there is very limited visibility. The Sams in that room are not choosing victims to scare, because they can’t see them at all. It’s completely random.

Even with the women thing, though, the vampire boy in ToT is played by a male, at least in one cast! He just happens to be super short!

A large number of the scares in T R T are blind scares. We were supposed to go out every 4-6 seconds regardless if there was anyone in our scene or not. So, generally, if you got a great scare it was by sheer accident. Another difficult thing about the sheet scare was that the lollypop frequently got caught in the sheets, causing them to look strange and ruining the moment.

The Vampire kid in Cast B was played by a female. The only males in Cast B were the 3 Kreeg's, both Wilkins and the occasional Firecrew/ABU. I think that Cast A had no Vampire Wilkins in October, and they had a male Vampire kid.

10 minutes ago, Tman875 said:

A large number of the scares in T R T are blind scares. We were supposed to go out every 4-6 seconds regardless if there was anyone in our scene or not. So, generally, if you got a great scare it was by sheer accident. Another difficult thing about the sheet scare was that the lollypop frequently got caught in the sheets, causing them to look strange and ruining the moment.

The Vampire kid in Cast B was played by a female. The only males in Cast B were the 3 Kreeg's, both Wilkins and the occasional Firecrew/ABU. I think that Cast A had no Vampire Wilkins in October, and they had a male Vampire kid.

Glad to hear about that 4 to 6 seconds thing from someone else! Sonya, the reserve Sam, said that while she did sheets it was something like “1, 2, 3, scare” while bouncing back and forth from one foot to the other to keep the pace. You should posted in the behind the scenes thread with interesting stuff if you have it! I love hearing from other scarecators, and since Jake was never in that house, he couldn’t share much about it.

11 hours ago, Tman875 said:

how many seconds are between scares in a regular house? like lets say scary tales or stranger things or Slaugther sinema? 

whats the average time? 

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Midnight Detective said:

pls be true

I wish they'd had done what they did with Invasion, they constantly changed that scarezone, I remembered the remaining survivors would each get taken control of the aliens, it was pretty cool, besides I don't know if they did anything with the scarezone, I went the last night but it still looked the same to me, same effects and stuff, I thought they'd have at least one of main pumpkin guys to be at the front of the cathedral and pose or something it would have been awesome photo op area if they added that but at a lot of the scareactors when I was around the scarezone were outside of the zone because it was so packed inside lol.

• 1 month later...
  • Mark M. changed the title to Twisted Tradition