Dead Exposure: Patient Zero

mystiquephreeq

Dead-Exposure-PZ.thumb.jpg.61feb89fe295763255d9dcdc786b574c.jpg

The original Dead Exposure house shook guests to their core. Easily one of the most terrifying houses we’ve ever had—you entered complete darkness with only bright flashes revealing the zombie horde surrounding you. 

We’re bringing back that same terror. But this time, we’re dropping you in the middle of Paris in 1982. The city of lights has gone dark as chaos spreads, unchecked. Hordes of vicious, flesh-eating undead are swarming the streets. 

The military is forcing those not affected into quarantine and a vaccination is being given. It’s the only chance to ward off the sickness but there are major side effects… blindness. 

You’ll be lost in the darkness as the undead hunt you. An attack can come from anywhere. You don’t have to remember the original house, to understand this single truth: They will find you. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Maxmoser said:

This looks really good! But I’m pissed it wasn’t an icon Who’s all been to the ‘08 one? 

I went to the '08 one. I went through multiple times and it never disappointed. I remember it being very disorienting in the best way possible :)

1 hour ago, fvcking cvnt said:

The Paris component makes this one interesting for me, gives it an identity other than just: "infected zombies....IN THE DARK."

Anyone else think bottom left mask resembles certain MDs? 

The bottom left view is from the back, so it's the chin that makes it look like a drooping nose.

I like to think of this house as a formal apology from A&D:  "We're sorry about all those TWD houses.  Management made us do it..."

As much as I didn't care for DE, I'm looking forward to this.  With low expectations this can only be good.

And serious thanks again to marketing, who seemed to have pulled their collective heads out of their ass.  The originals get their due place as part of the event.

I am really hoping they do NOT go for the UV flashes like the did with DE.  They mentioned blindness, which can either mean total darkness or light-blindness.  I remember way back in the original Body Collectors house they had a room near the end where they hit you with a giant panel of ultra bright lights for a split second.   Even though the room was normally dimly lit, you could see NOTHING for about 10 seconds.  No cell phone light would help you.  Not sure if I'd enjoy an entire house of that but it was much more effective than the UV flashes.  

• Like 5

I hate to sound negative but this gets a big shrug from me.  The original DE didn't make much of an impact on me, it wasn't even close to my favorite house of the year that year, which was The Hallow, which in my opinion is the second scariest house I've ever been through in HHN.  Personally, I'm not a fan of the "dark" houses.  I find them frustrating to walk through, and honestly not scary.  I can't be scared by something I don't see, but that's just me.

10 hours ago, Norman_Bates said:

I hate to sound negative but this gets a big shrug from me.  The original DE didn't make much of an impact on me, it wasn't even close to my favorite house of the year that year, which was The Hallow, which in my opinion is the second scariest house I've ever been through in HHN.  Personally, I'm not a fan of the "dark" houses.  I find them frustrating to walk through, and honestly not scary.  I can't be scared by something I don't see, but that's just me.

Hallow was awesome. Which is part of why I'm hoping for TrT.

10 hours ago, Norman_Bates said:

Hard to say. I didn't experience the original Dead Exposure but everything sounds possibly scary and amazing however I can completely agree and understand what you are saying like Hollywood and their famous black hallways and I find it incredibly frustrating finding my way through them and not scary, not disorienting or intimidating

So it sounds like they are taking the concept of Dead Exposure and ditching any of the 2008 backstory.

What we know about the original backstory is that in 1858 a photographer named Charlie McPherson experienced the DE zombies when Dr. Mary Agana forced him into an immersion therapy as a psychological treatment.  McPherson was hired by private investigator Boris Shuster, to investigate Dr. Agana.  Later that year, Boris Shuster created Legendary Truth.  Whole lot of potential to tie this new house in...

The new house takes place in 1982 in Paris, which has been overrun by a virus that turns people into zombies.  Uninfected are given vaccines which result in blindness. 

Other than both houses plunging you into darkness, the only shared aspect seems to be zombies and flashes of light.

No indication of who Patient Zero is.  Is it the first zombie?  If so, then it would go back to 1958 or earlier.

Is Legendary Truth somehow going to be tied into this backstory?  Is Bloody Mary somehow tied into it?  

Neither would make much sense, unless Legendary Truth files link back to some incident from 1982, but you would think that zombies overrunning Paris in 1982 would not be something known by only Legendary Truth.

I suppose just as we experienced what McPherson did (believing he was in a city overrun with zombies), maybe we are beyond the mirror somehow, and Bloody Mary is revealed at the end or along the way?

Maybe we find out we are Legendary Truth researchers in this house?

In any event, it would be cool to see them somehow tie this house to LT or BM.

Side note: I heard on a podcast that A&D are reusing a bunch of WD zombie molds for this house, painting them white or gray.  That would mean this house would be a lot like DE (or the Universal Monsters B&W house).  In other words, don't expect detail.   Which makes me wonder - we've heard rumors of 10 houses this year.  Being able to cheap-out on one house means the peanut butter can be spread to make the 10th house.  DE: Patient Zero looks to be done on the cheap, so....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, zombieman said:

So it sounds like they are taking the concept of Dead Exposure and ditching any of the 2008 backstory.

What we know about the original backstory is that in 1858 a photographer named Charlie McPherson experienced the DE zombies when Dr. Mary Agana forced him into an immersion therapy as a psychological treatment.  McPherson was hired by private investigator Boris Shuster, to investigate Dr. Agana.  Later that year, Boris Shuster created Legendary Truth.  Whole lot of potential to tie this new house in...

The new house takes place in 1982 in Paris, which has been overrun by a virus that turns people into zombies.  Uninfected are given vaccines which result in blindness. 

Other than both houses plunging you into darkness, the only shared aspect seems to be zombies and flashes of light.

No indication of who Patient Zero is.  Is it the first zombie?  If so, then it would go back to 1958 or earlier.

Is Legendary Truth somehow going to be tied into this backstory?  Is Bloody Mary somehow tied into it?  

Neither would make much sense, unless Legendary Truth files link back to some incident from 1982, but you would think that zombies overrunning Paris in 1982 would not be something known by only Legendary Truth.

I suppose just as we experienced what McPherson did (believing he was in a city overrun with zombies), maybe we are beyond the mirror somehow, and Bloody Mary is revealed at the end or along the way?

Maybe we find out we are Legendary Truth researchers in this house?

In any event, it would be cool to see them somehow tie this house to LT or BM.

Side note: I heard on a podcast that A&D are reusing a bunch of WD zombie molds for this house, painting them white or gray.  That would mean this house would be a lot like DE (or the Universal Monsters B&W house).  In other words, don't expect detail.   Which makes me wonder - we've heard rumors of 10 houses this year.  Being able to cheap-out on one house means the peanut butter can be spread to make the 10th house.  DE: Patient Zero looks to be done on the cheap, so....

Well, considering the original was a budget house...

Blumhouse Halloween should be fairly low-cost, too.

Edited by OhHaiInternet95
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Budget houses aren't necessarily a bad thing if the gimmick is done right. The In Between was an awesome house because they used 3D and blacklights (ordinarily a cheap fair gimmick) and used them for immersion. The original Dead Exposure got some good scares out of people with minimal money spent on sets and costumes.

• Like 2

On 5/19/2018 at 12:40 PM, Cody said:

Budget houses aren't necessarily a bad thing if the gimmick is done right. The In Between was an awesome house because they used 3D and blacklights (ordinarily a cheap fair gimmick) and used them for immersion. The original Dead Exposure got some good scares out of people with minimal money spent on sets and costumes.

I'm thinking this will be the most "intense" house this year, if only because of the darkness.

• 3 months later...
On 4/26/2018 at 2:16 PM, zombieman said:

The bottom left view is from the back, so it's the chin that makes it look like a drooping nose.

I like to think of this house as a formal apology from A&D:  "We're sorry about all those TWD houses.  Management made us do it..."

As much as I didn't care for DE, I'm looking forward to this.  With low expectations this can only be good.

And serious thanks again to marketing, who seemed to have pulled their collective heads out of their ass.  The originals get their due place as part of the event.

I am really hoping they do NOT go for the UV flashes like the did with DE.  They mentioned blindness, which can either mean total darkness or light-blindness.  I remember way back in the original Body Collectors house they had a room near the end where they hit you with a giant panel of ultra bright lights for a split second.   Even though the room was normally dimly lit, you could see NOTHING for about 10 seconds.  No cell phone light would help you.  Not sure if I'd enjoy an entire house of that but it was much more effective than the UV flashes.  

all i can think of is the “flashes” from house of horrors from 2012. it would be interesting if they mixed both styles of flash lighting (DE and HOH)

• 4 weeks later...

This house is GREAT. Soooo intense and creative, on my second run I literally fell to my knees and had to crawl through one double-scare hallway.

The sets are also great, while minimal. The train, catacombs, monkey cages, and Paris house sets all look great when you have the chance to calm down and focus (which I'll admit, is almost never).

Definitely the most intense house of the event, honestly I'm surprised that there aren't major in-your-face warnings for epileptic guests.

I'm very confused as to what the last room is trying to be, is it an homage to the original DE? Who are the characters in the room, more infected or people in quarantine? I can't tell.

All in all, this is a fantastic house, and yet another contender for HotY IMO.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 9/26/2018 at 10:45 AM, happy bunny rabbit said:

This house is GREAT. Soooo intense and creative, on my second run I literally fell to my knees and had to crawl through one double-scare hallway.

The sets are also great, while minimal. The train, catacombs, monkey cages, and Paris house sets all look great when you have the chance to calm down and focus (which I'll admit, is almost never).

Definitely the most intense house of the event, honestly I'm surprised that there aren't major in-your-face warnings for epileptic guests.

I'm very confused as to what the last room is trying to be, is it an homage to the original DE? Who are the characters in the room, more infected or people in quarantine? I can't tell.

All in all, this is a fantastic house, and yet another contender for HotY IMO.

To understand the last room, you need to understand the series of events.

As you pass by the tent outdoors, you are blasted with fog.  If you missed this, you may be blasted with a pop of air at the threshold of the house.  This is you being immunized against the Zemrit* virus.

You immediately become one of the 95% that incurs temporary vision impairment, hence the darkness and bright flashes.

Before the final room you enter a tiny room with a bunch of colored strobing lights on the walls.  This is you overcoming the side effect.

The final hallways are white and (and for nearly the first two weeks) fully lit.  You see blood all over the walls and bodies on the floor and gunfire all around.   Your vision has been restored, but what you see of the world is not good.  

The end.

At the end of the second week, they made the final hallways strobe instead of steady on.  I think this is to show your vision slowly returning rather than all at once.

* Zemrit is a Czech word meaning "Death".  The virus was first seen in the Czech Republic.

• Like 4

This house is amazing during the daytime. Cause your eyes haven't adjusted to the dark yet, and the pitch-black/blindness concept works perfectly. During the night though, your eyes have adjusted and you can pretty much see everything, and the house becomes eh.

41 minutes ago, HHN Pro said:

This house is amazing during the daytime. Cause your eyes haven't adjusted to the dark yet, and the pitch-black/blindness concept works perfectly. During the night though, your eyes have adjusted and you can pretty much see everything, and the house becomes eh.

If you really wanna counteract that stare at your phone on max brightness. Works every time.

I was very impressed with this, despite the original not quite working for me. It works REALLY well when you go through it with light out. The facade is kick@$$ (Hate or Glory had me fist-pumping, even if it's a bit anachronistic), the subway scene is choice, the lit up moving pics in the sewers were chilling, the finale was really cool as it was very gory and I liked the idea of it being you slowly regaining your vision. I will say, I would've loved to have news reports from the trailer of the virus getting worse playing throughout the house.

Edited by OhHaiInternet95
  • Like 2

• Mark M. changed the title to Dead Exposure: Patient Zero
  • Mark M. unpinned this topic