Do you think that HHN might also be in IOA this year?

I am really new to HHN, I've been going to HHN Hollywood since 2015. This will my first time going to HHN in Orlando this year. I know they used to have HHN in IOA but that they don't do it anymore. I know this would obviously just be speculation, but do you think HHN would ever also be at IOA again?

Edited by Bradley
  • Like 1

I'm not sure if you're asking if HHN would take place in just IOA again or in both IOA and Studios. If you're asking if it'll be in just Islands again, I highly doubt it. If you're asking if HHN will take place in both parks, however, I can totally see it happening this year.

If Nintendo Land construction starts before September where KidZone currently is, then they need to find a new spot for a ninth house. Last year you had to walk through KidZone to get to Ash vs Evil Dead, so they most likely would have that whole section blocked off for construction. I am also newer to HHN,  so I'm not sure they have any other place in Studios they can put a house in that they aren't already using. Bill and Ted used to take place in Fear Factor Live but there's also been rumors in the past that the reason they aren't coming back is because they are getting rid of Fear Factor for something else. Bill and Ted was a huge people eater and would free up the streets/houses but if it's not there anymore for another show, the crowds are gonna be even more ridiculous than they already are.

I think it makes a lot of sense to split up the houses to both parks this year. Maybe put IT in Studios and Stranger Things in Islands and then put four of the other houses in Studios and the remaining three in Islands to make the crowds a little more bearable and spread out. Doing this would mean there would have to be even more scare zones too and they could even go up to 10 houses, putting five in both parks just to keep it even. Then that means they could charge even more for tickets since they'll have to also keep some rides in IOA open and they could start selling one park or park hopper passes for the event because there would be two totally different experiences in each park. There are rumors going around, though, that they might just put Nintendo Land into Universal's fourth gate so KidZone may be safe for now and they'll have the room to put nine houses in Studios. 

I'm just rambling at this point, but yeah, HHN could quite possibly be at Islands and Studios this year. As the event continues to grow and get more popular each and every year, eventually they are going to have to split it up into both parks.

• 1 month later...
On 4/18/2018 at 10:52 AM, fvcking cvnt said:

haha, what made you change your mind?

If they’re doing a mostly movie IP style event Universal. Movie idea IPs wouldn’t work at IOA unless if they can do something with the islands( a la Islands Of Fear 2002) and revamp it. 

but they can still do the IPs and make original scare zones.

But there needs to be a theme altogether either way.

6 minutes ago, Maxmoser said:

If they’re doing a mostly movie IP style event Universal. Movie idea IPs wouldn’t work at IOA unless if they can do something with the islands( a la Islands Of Fear 2002) and revamp it. 

but they can still do the IPs and make original scare zones.

But there needs to be a theme altogether either way.

I mean trick ‘r treat doesn’t take place in Central Park in the films, they can make locations appear different

The situation with Audrey Geisel and Seuss Landing is always going to be an obstacle for bringing it back to IoA, but it didn't necessarily stop them in the past, and now you've got the same situation at the Studios park with J. K. Rowling and Diagon Alley. That said, there seems to be some reason as to why they stopped holding it at IoA and never brought it back even after replacing Amity with Diagon Alley, so the chances are pretty good that they'll stick to the Studios park. IMO, holding it at IoA in the early-mid 2000s was probably done more to promote the shiny new park than anything.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The design of IOA is one of the big things keeping it from coming back for HHN, especially as the crowds only increase every year. Because the lands in IOA are designed to be more immersive, the paths are much more narrow and filled with chokepoints where you'd end up with severe traffic jams. The ring design of the park also completely eliminates any possible shortcuts between different parts of the park; you have to walk the entire circle to get to the other side. Universal's lagoon, by comparison, only takes up about half the park and the other half is filled with different paths that you can take to the exit.

IOA is even more hamstrung by the utter refusal of Seuss's estate to allow horror content in Seuss Landing and the possibility of a refusal for Hogsmede (while the international parks have done HHN stuff with Harry Potter, the issue may be with how contracts and licensing agreements were made rather than Rowling herself intervening), which means 1 or 2 entire lands would be devoid of any HHN attractions. Universal only keeps Diagon Alley normal, opening the entire rest of the park to scarezones and houses.

• Like 2

Harry Potter is now a problem and it being a bigger... way bigger park than Universal. It won’t happen for a long long time(if it does). 

And for the past 13 years, IOA has completely changed both park and attendance wise. This isn’t the time when you had Dueling Dragons or any of that stuff anymore. 

Plus people would get all shitty about horror themed things  coming to their part of the park(I’m talking to you Audrey Geisel), or copyright issues(Marvel being like wtf with Island Under Seige and Maximum Carnage). 

Since 2006, Universal has been a more fitting area to have Halloween Horror Nights. Yeah Amity isn’t there to fill the entire park anymore, and Harry Potter is just a random block of the park. 

But Universal is Horror Nights home.

adam-sandler-funny-quotes-12.jpg?auto=co

• Like 1

At least the rights issue with Marvel just means they probably won't be able to do a horror version of Marvel like 2002 again. Nothing stopped them from putting differently themed scarezones there before, like Blood Thunder Alley in 2005.

But the ring design and narrow pathways are crippling, and having one or two lands completely devoid of horror content with Seuss and Hogsmede means people will have no choice but to get funneled through or even stuck in unthemed areas as they traverse the park.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Keep in mind this is 10 year old information. But back when I used to work at universal I was told they would never have HHN in islands again. The main reason being damage. Universal was built to be both a theme park and a movie studio. Islands not so much. The construction, and long lines for houses. Camp Jurassic was devastated afterwords. Suess landing and Harry Potter are just icing on the cake

Behold, if last year's line-up was at IOA:

Houses

Ash Vs. Evil Dead - Carnage Warehouse

Dead Waters - Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges Queue

Saw: The Games of Jigsaw - Thunder Falls Terrace

Scarecrow: The Reaping - Triceratops Discovery Trail

The Fallen - Jurassic Park Discovery Center

Hive - Poseidon's Fury

The Horrors of Blumhouse - Soundstage 24B

The Shining - Soundstage 24A

American Horror Story - Soundstage 21

Scare Zones

Altars of Horror - Port of Entry

The Purge - Marvel Super Hero Island

Invasion - Toon Lagoon

Trick 'r Treat - Jurassic Park

Festival of the Deadliest - The Lost Continent

Shows

Bill & Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure - Toon Lagoon Stage

Academy of Villains: Afterlife - Uh... Um.... At the dock in Port of Entry... Maybe?