Halloween Horror Nights 28 Speculation

Mark M.

7 hours ago, Brandon_Voorhees said:

LFB = Lara Flynn Boyle; MIB II house confirmed!

Or maybe L. Frank Baum. 

L F B does come from Lyman Frank Baum. 

But L F B became something else. 

3 hours ago, faceleg said:

Could it be a battle between the witch and the queen? Or they join forces somehow? I JUST WANNA KNOW lol

The Evil Queen was in ST3. She played a very specific role in that house's story. 

Snow White is out of the way, now. She led you to the Evil Queen. Scribes and evil ruler must be combined with the story in ST3. 

Oz assumptions were made for a reason, and  L F B is why those assumptions were made. 

If Once Upon a Time taught us anything, one "big bad" at a time is the best options for a story. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, mystiquephreeq said:

The Evil Queen was in ST3. She played a very specific role in that house's story. 

Snow White is out of the way, now. She led you to the Evil Queen. Scribes and evil ruler must be combined with the story in ST3. 

Oz assumptions were made for a reason, and  L F B is why those assumptions were made. 

If Once Upon a Time taught us anything, one "big bad" at a time is the best options for a story. 

I feel like people are just going to keep getting Lost in all this. But then again, horror doesn't have to be exclusionary...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mystiquephreeq said:

Lyman Frank Baum was the "historian" of Oz.

"The Scribes returned to reveal that they were led by the Evil Queen."

http://halloweenhorrornights.wikia.com/wiki/Scary_Tales:_Once_Upon_a_Nightmare

The Wicked Witch is the ruler and unifying character, rewriting all sorts of stories instead of it just being purely an Oz house.

But I think theres more information to get from this between yours and @Legacy's clues

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Legacy said:

I feel like people are just going to keep getting Lost in all this. But then again, horror doesn't have to be exclusionary...

Lost the TV show?

Lost in Oz?

Lost in Space? 

We're Lost the song by Annie Lennox?

That's all I've got. 

Edited by faceleg

13 minutes ago, Legacy said:

Horror is probably one of the most inclusive genres...

I'm tempted to tell what L F B became, but it's such an excellent piece of trivia. A piece of trivia I had to discover the etymology of the moment I first read it back in 05/06(?). I've read too many books over the years. I picked both up around the time The Wolves of Calla came out. Needed something to tide me over while I waited for HP6 and Song of Susannah. 

ST3 plot line:

The Evil Queen has cast a spell allowing her scribes to change the happily ever afters to happily never afters. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Midnight Detective said:

The Wicked Witch is the ruler and unifying character, rewriting all sorts of stories instead of it just being purely an Oz house.

*temples hands* Excellent.

Editted to make what was excellent more apparent. 

Now, defy a little gravity and figure out what L F B became. 

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, mystiquephreeq said:

Horror is probably one of the most inclusive genres...

I'm tempted to tell what L F B became, but it's such an excellent piece of trivia. A piece of trivia I had to discover the etymology of the moment I first read it back in 05/06(?). I've read too many books over the years. I picked both up around the time The Wolves of Calla came out. Needed something to tide me over while I waited for HP6 and Song of Susannah. 

ST3 plot line:

The Evil Queen has cast a spell allowing her scribes to change the happily ever afters to happily never afters. 

OH ELPHABA????

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, mystiquephreeq said:

(e)L F(a) B(a)

That's how Maguire came up with her name. Excellent books, by the way.  I highly suggest them. 

The other random trivia I already shared is that the L stands for Lyman. My husband shares his first name with Baum. 

Is the play Wicked important to this?

2 minutes ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

Is the play Wicked important to this?

The novel is an excellent source of material to see how Baum's original creation contains horror elements and how it can be easily translated into horror. 

When it comes to IPs that are now public domain, other sources and works based on them are always great ways of finding how the original can be altered to fit the horror genre. 

Will it completely connect? No, but originals are always inspired by outside sources. I'd suggest giving Emerald City a watch as well. We could possibly see imagery from there in Oz portions of the house. 

• Like 5

Just now, mystiquephreeq said:

The novel is an excellent source of material to see how Baum's original creation contains horror elements and how it can be easily translated into horror. 

When it comes to IPs that are now public domain, other sources and works based on them are always great ways of finding how the original can be altered to fit the horror genre. 

Will it completely connect? No, but originals are always inspired by outside sources. I'd suggest giving Emerald City a watch as well. We could possibly see imagery from there in Oz portions of the house. 

So are we getting the same general fairy tales (Hansel, Goldilocks, Little Red)?

If so, I’m sure they’ll bring back the HHN Bear. Though I thought the 8-foot tall bear costume in ST3 was wonderfully scary.

18 minutes ago, mystiquephreeq said:

I loved Emerald City! Tarsem is so underappreciated as a director. His films are always so beautiful. I still watch The Cell at least a couple times a year. I've also read all of the Wicked books, even the last 2 are only so so IMO. I'm kinda an Oz nerd. 

• Like 1

All this fairytale talk is making me sad :-(

this will probably be my least favorite house then.   Again this is all my perspective and my opinion.  Fairytale twists on horror not scary. Not at all.  It’s a creative take on certain stories we grew up with for sure.  As far as the event goes, super disappointed if this is all true.

what was so great about last year and some of the best original houses from the past and to date, was that all of them were grounded in reality to one degree or another.  Ghosts, demons, vampires, serial killers, zombies, folk tales, and certain instances of “science gone wrong” are all grounded in reality, which allows people to suspend belief for a brief period and in some part of our minds even just a tiny bit believe that what they are experiencing could actually be real.  That’s what’s made all of the houses like Dead End, Scarecrow, legendary truth, Hive, Dead Waters, Gothic, physcoscareapy(spelling) so effective and truely some of the best original houses (again all my opinion).

We all grew up with stories of Snow White, The Wizard of oz, alive in wonderland etc; and its very hard to get to that state of imersion and suspension of disbelief and the houses always tend to rely on a gimmic (3D or rich colors) or cheap jump scares. They just aren’t scary.

I could go on and on.  I’ll likely do this house once and call it enough for me.  Not trying to offend anyone here, and again just my opinion.  

Pyconn

• Like 1

So it's safe to say we are going to see an announcement today...

If we do, and they keep it consistent until HHN actually starts, we should receive announcements today, the 9th, the 16th, 23rd, 30th, and 6th of September. That's 6 different announcements, enough for the remaining 5 houses and one, most likely, for merch/food/drink options. 

For the next 5 weeks, I'd imagine they are going to do IP, original, IP, original, IP. Poltergeist, a Halloween house, and the two originals I can see happening, but, from the speculation map, I'm not convinced we are getting a Blumhouse house. Happy Death Day, Get Out, Split, and pretty much any other movie they've made isn't based in the 80's (correct me if I'm wrong and they've got movies based in the 80's). Does anyone have any other ideas/heard any rumors about a different IP house? Or is Blumhouse a lock? 

11 minutes ago, MGregorio594 said:

So it's safe to say we are going to see an announcement today...

If we do, and they keep it consistent until HHN actually starts, we should receive announcements today, the 9th, the 16th, 23rd, 30th, and 6th of September. That's 6 different announcements, enough for the remaining 5 houses and one, most likely, for merch/food/drink options. 

For the next 5 weeks, I'd imagine they are going to do IP, original, IP, original, IP. Poltergeist, a Halloween house, and the two originals I can see happening, but, from the speculation map, I'm not convinced we are getting a Blumhouse house. Happy Death Day, Get Out, Split, and pretty much any other movie they've made isn't based in the 80's (correct me if I'm wrong and they've got movies based in the 80's). Does anyone have any other ideas/heard any rumors about a different IP house? Or is Blumhouse a lock? 

Universal rarely announces anything in September. Going back to the 90s, everything would be announced before the end of August. The only reason they would hold off on anything is if something goes drastically awry. So, really, there are five weeks left (and five houses). Logic would dictate they will announce a house a week. But they don't have to. They could announce and house on the 2nd (today), the 16th, and then everything else on the 30th. They have options.

In regards to Blumhouse?

I'd say the spec map is over 80% correct.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Legacy said:

Universal rarely announces anything in September. Going back to the 90s, everything would be announced before the end of August. The only reason they would hold off on anything is if something goes drastically awry. So, really, there are five weeks left (and five houses). Logic would dictate they will announce a house a week. But they don't have to. They could announce and house on the 2nd (today), the 16th, and then everything else on the 30th. They have options.

In regards to Blumhouse?

I'd say the spec map is over 80% correct.

First off, I guess there isn't going to be an announcement today...

Second, if 80% of the map is correct, two houses of the 10 are incorrect. I'll assume Blumhouse and one of the originals aren't true.

13 minutes ago, MGregorio594 said:

First off, I guess there isn't going to be an announcement today...

Second, if 80% of the map is correct, two houses of the 10 are incorrect. I'll assume Blumhouse and one of the originals aren't true.

Over 80% means more than 8/10 right. Or, more likely, some houses are partially right. 

Based on this weeks discussions on here Oz is partially right. There’s more to it. Blumhouse is likely to contain HDD (yes, after weeks of denying it I finally believe). But there’s more properties in there waiting to be confirmed. Finally, SOX feels like we’re nearly there with it, just not quite. That’s what I think is missing to take us up to a 100% correct map. @Legacy feel free to fix this as you see fit, if you don’t mind giving too much away ;)

27 minutes ago, Drummanmatt said:

Over 80% means more than 8/10 right. Or, more likely, some houses are partially right. 

Based on this weeks discussions on here Oz is partially right. There’s more to it. Blumhouse is likely to contain HDD (yes, after weeks of denying it I finally believe). But there’s more properties in there waiting to be confirmed. Finally, SOX feels like we’re nearly there with it, just not quite. That’s what I think is missing to take us up to a 100% correct map. @Legacy feel free to fix this as you see fit, if you don’t mind giving too much away ;)

I must've read over the "over" part.

I don't get how they're gonna do another Blumhouse house, though. What do any of their movies have to do with the 80's? In fact, what year exactly is Trick r' Treat supposed to take place? Maybe the flashback to the kids on the bus scene is from the 80's, but I'm not really sure. 

6 minutes ago, MGregorio594 said:

I must've read over the "over" part.

I don't get how they're gonna do another Blumhouse house, though. What do any of their movies have to do with the 80's? In fact, what year exactly is Trick r' Treat supposed to take place? Maybe the flashback to the kids on the bus scene is from the 80's, but I'm not really sure. 

It’s a loose theme. Not everything is going to take place in the ‘80s. 

Edited by OhHaiInternet95
  • Like 1