Halloween Horror Nights 28 Speculation

Mark M.

5 hours ago, Jediwhit82 said:

Lost continent does not need replacing, it, especially the Greek section is the best area in all of universal.

Also, 3rd gate not 4th, don’t believe marketing’s lies, water parks do not count as anywhere close to equal to a real park.

Sorry for going off topic of HHN speculation, but...

I don't think it needs replacing either, I love everything about the Lost Continent and hope it never gets re-themed. But the fact that it's the only land in IOA that isn't based on an IP and doesn't have any rides (there's Poseidon and Sinbad but they are shows and can be easily re-themed), it's the most likely island Universal will change for something else.

I still consider Volcano Bay the 3rd gate because that's how Universal bills it. My knowledge on Disney isn't all that great, but I don't believe they consider Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon theme parks. They are just called water parks. Universal calls Volcano Bay a water theme park and dubs it their 3rd park. I agree that it isn't technically their third gate since it's a water park, but that's how they categorize it. 

• Like 1

It's going to be packed because it's Orlando and nothing better to do then waste everybody time in line and drinking over priced beers. 
 I really enjoy horror nights, but l want to have an open relationship since they put down as a maybe for hire for the event. 
 In 2016, I have got a guest positive while scaring in under rated zone. Some how? I don't know. 
 I just want to work event again. 
Or explore different haunts. 

25 minutes ago, MGregorio594 said:

Sorry for going off topic of HHN speculation, but...

I don't think it needs replacing either, I love everything about the Lost Continent and hope it never gets re-themed. But the fact that it's the only land in IOA that isn't based on an IP and doesn't have any rides (there's Poseidon and Sinbad but they are shows and can be easily re-themed), it's the most likely island Universal will change for something else.

I still consider Volcano Bay the 3rd gate because that's how Universal bills it. My knowledge on Disney isn't all that great, but I don't believe they consider Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon theme parks. They are just called water parks. Universal calls Volcano Bay a water theme park and dubs it their 3rd park. I agree that it isn't technically their third gate since it's a water park, but that's how they categorize it. 

It’s probably smart marketing, but l can’t consider VB a third theme park either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Drummanmatt said:

Why do you think they call it a “gate” rather than a “park”? Semantics count

Ah, but if a gate is just a single entrance to an area that charges you to go in, does that not make every single club in city walk it’s own gate?

When it was under construction I had thought it might be something new, if Volcano Bay had shows, or tube rides that slowed down and had show scenes, then yeah. A water park could be a theme par, if it’s actually good enough.

honestly they can take Sinbad, just don’t take my Poseidon

Edited by Jediwhit82
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jediwhit82 said:

Ah, but if a gate is just a single entrance to an area that charges you to go in, does that not make every single club in city walk it’s own gate?

Gate usually refers to an area where you need to pay to get into. However, this doesn’t normally apply to a smaller area within a larger area. So citywalk is the area, which is free to get into. However the clubs which you pay a cover charge for are too small to be their own gate. 

Think thats the logic behind it. Like I said, all semantics. Just because they say one thing doesn’t mean that’s the reality. 

On that note I did see an ad for WDW recently where they said there’s six parks. It’s true, but only if you say the water parks are “parks” in their own right. I don’t, but like I said it’s all semantics. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

We always get the fast pass. The ONLY time Ive ever waited more than 20 minutes for a house was when they had to stop the line bc of an accident of something. And in 10 years I can only think of that happening twice. Krampus, but they gave us a super secret password to come back and go to the fast pass line bc they had already scanned it.... the other time was last year when the power went out. We were in line for The Hive. We were shit out of luck for that. If you want to be sure to see all houses in one night. Get the fast pass. Can you hit 10 houses in one night w/o one? Possibly, but highly doubtful. I think the star would have to align for you for that to happen. Its 10 houses and its gonna be PACKED.

Have to agree with this.  There isn't a chance in hell I'd go to HHN without express.  I don't travel to an event to wait in line.. and some of those lines are HORRIFIC.  Plus, I'm too old for that crap.  I've seen some express lines get unusually long, but it it appears to happen in spurts.  If the express line is long, we go find another house and come back.  

Our strategy is to save our express until things get really busy and then use them.  We attempt to go through each house 2x per night - or, least, our top 5 houses 2x per night.  Our limit to wait in a regular line is 35 minutes - if we can get into a house in 35 or less, we do it without express.  Then, we go back later and see it again with.  We've been pretty successful doing this because we've learned crowd flow based on the time of the night, the time of the shows and what day it is.  Of course, with only one show this year, that should be a challenge.

I guess it all comes down to what you can tolerate.  I would never tolerate standing in line for 90 or 120 minutes - even if Jesus Christ himself was waiting at the other end.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

So unpopular opinion but I think if you're an Orlando local and familiar with theme park navigation the express pass is unnecessary. If you arrive at opening and head to the back of the park you can knock out quite a few houses. The trick is to go against the flow (common knowledge here but maybe not for everyone). As the night goes on the front of the park will really thin out and more people leave around 10 than you'd think.

Every year I grab a frequent fear pass (the slightly cheaper option that doesn't include Saturdays. Days that are blocked out for you will be a nightmare anyway). Our group arrives around 8 to avoid paying for parking. Once inside the park we check the time board and then go to the house with the lowest wait. I've hit all but two houses without fail every year. If its a Thursday it really is as simple as just going from shortest line to shortest line. Fridays don't seem to be much worse until mid-October. 

That being said, this really only is effective if you have the opportunity to attend multiple nights locally. Strategies like the one @hunnylvr describes have you hitting houses TWICE a night (and if you're new to the event, one viewing will never give a house enough justice). If you're travelling I would say the last place you want to be cheap is with express passes - it can mean the difference between a trip being worth your money or less than fulfilling.   

On 7/18/2018 at 6:45 PM, mz_ said:

Thank you for this! After 10 years (this year), it's been a long crazy ride. Although things have slowed here the past couple of years, we will continue to try our best to run a community with information.. as fans for fans!

Thank you for all your hard work running this place. Outside of everyone's love for HHN and Halloween in general, the board itself one of the best communities on the internet.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Drummanmatt said:

Gate usually refers to an area where you need to pay to get into. However, this doesn’t normally apply to a smaller area within a larger area. So citywalk is the area, which is free to get into. However the clubs which you pay a cover charge for are too small to be their own gate. 

Think thats the logic behind it. Like I said, all semantics. Just because they say one thing doesn’t mean that’s the reality. 

On that note I did see an ad for WDW recently where they said there’s six parks. It’s true, but only if you say the water parks are “parks” in their own right. I don’t, but like I said it’s all semantics. 

Well they did have 5 but they decided that letting something that failed so hard at universal it had to shut down would be better, so they are back at 4

6 hours ago, Jediwhit82 said:

Disney Quest. and i’ll get it on topic since it’s my fault.

Do you think either scarezone will use part of sting alley?

Disney Quest. Used to like that place but really poorly managed and never updated. Oh well. 

Think Killer Clowns is down to use Sting Alley, at least per the last spec map that was floating around. But does leave the park very lopsided in terms of scarezones, as currently there’s nothing from San Fran all the way round to Central Park. Appreciate there’s issues with using London, etc. but does look very bare at the moment. Unless they have something else up their sleeves?

• Like 1

Ok how about this while we kill time to the next announcement. On my UTH tour last year, we were told that every year they try to bring an element or shared item into each house. For HHN27 this was some kind of water effect (such as elevator scene in the shining, beer keg spray in Ash vs Evil Dead, lighting in dead waters to simulate the swamp). 

Assuming they do the same this year, what do you think the shared element will be?

I’m thinking pumpkins. We have pumpkin guts in slaughter sinema, trick r treat will be full of them, DE is set around Halloween time according to those postcards so could have pumpkins, etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drummanmatt said:

On my UTH tour last year, we were told that every year they try to bring an element or shared item into each house.

How was the UTH Tour last year as far as photography being allowed?  Did the tour every year for like a decade, including the year they changed it (we took as many pictures as we wanted and they didn't care so long as you were discrete about it) but haven't done it since.  I see this year the wording is photography is permitted in "Select Rooms of Select Houses" which even crappier than before.

Just curious if they eased up on the IP restrictions last year or not.   Really want to do it again this year, but not paying $150 for a guided tour with just my memory as a keepsake.

IF we get Poltergeist I'd imagine they'd have to have some sort of pool scene....probably not with scare actors, but maybe some triggered/pop up skeletons and spraying water. 

Or, possibly an old bus portion sticking out of water for Trick R Treat.  Like a chopped mini-bus resting on the ground with a pool with like 3" of water to make the illusion.  That would be pretty awesome.

Of course there will be a million opportunities throughout the houses for "blood sprays" replicated with water.

5 minutes ago, Oysterhead00 said:

How was the UTH Tour last year as far as photography being allowed?  Did the tour every year for like a decade, including the year they changed it (we took as many pictures as we wanted and they didn't care so long as you were discrete about it) but haven't done it since.  I see this year the wording is photography is permitted in "Select Rooms of Select Houses" which even crappier than before.

Just curious if they eased up on the IP restrictions last year or not.   Really want to do it again this year, but not paying $150 for a guided tour with just my memory as a keepsake.

IF we get Poltergeist I'd imagine they'd have to have some sort of pool scene....probably not with scare actors, but maybe some triggered/pop up skeletons and spraying water. 

Or, possibly an old bus portion sticking out of water for Trick R Treat.  Like a chopped mini-bus resting on the ground with a pool with like 3" of water to make the illusion.  That would be pretty awesome.

Of course there will be a million opportunities throughout the houses for "blood sprays" replicated with water.

It depends on your tour guide.  Some admonish people to not take any pictures - and then turn their head away when people take pictures.   Some are hardcore rule-followers.

There have been lots of pictures posted of UTH tours, and I bet those tour guides then get reamed out.

The policy is beyond maddening.  Last year they allowed photos in some IP houses, but did NOT allow photos in some ORIGINAL HOUSES!!

In Hive, they didn't allow any photos in rooms that depicted kids, cribs, etc

In the Fallen, most of the house did not allow photos because of angels being tortured or having wings ripped off.  

But back when they did La Llorona, they allowed photos of the drowned kids.

I go to the UTH tour only for the backstories these days.  The picture policy has turned many people off.

• Like 1

They were ok with pics on my tour. Just certain bits you couldn’t take any, yet if you hung back to take pics there wasn’t any issues. All they can do is ask you to delete them if it’s really likely to cause issues for them. 

That room in hive I get with no pics. It was quite a shocking scene and it did offend some people. The fallen we couldn’t take any of the entrance. Other than that fair game. 

They were very strict with the shining, but guessing that was maybe to do with Stephen King. 

Perhaps I’ll wait and see how the policy is enforced this year before booking. Also gives the exchange rate time to bounce back. Bloody Brexit grrr

• Like 2

On 7/22/2018 at 10:53 AM, TheRobcat said:

I think we are far enough along with speculation that I can say it is a similar concept to the Lonesome Death Of Jordy Verrill from Creepshow. That was originally based on a Lovecraft story about a meteorite crashing to earth and  bringing strange, dangerous alien vegetation with it. I think that is the gist, but I know no details other than maybe a crashed plane set piece. I think that's been mentioned.  

So, life has made it difficult to post and follow things. Not going into detail, but I've had to focus on family. 

The above quote goes back to my Rainbow clue. 

Rainbow is a compound word, and the clue was a compound itself. Many paths to the same basic answer, since there are many potential inspirations for the house. 

Reading Rainbow = Geordie = Jordy 

The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill is based on Stephen King's short story The Weeds. The Weeds was inspired by Lovecraft's The Colour Out of Space. 

One could say that rainbows are a compound of colors. 

There's another potential reference which is, obviously, heavily inspired by The Colour Out of Space and that is Annihilation. 

*Random Trivia (which I can't remember if I posted or not):

Stephen King has only ever played a titular role in one of his screen adaptations. He played Jordy Verrill. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

Legacy said Meteor involved the moon being the only source of light. Well, since plants need sunlight to survive, that’s bad news for them.

Ha, well joke is on them then!  Light of the moon is light reflected from the Sun as the Sun is the only source of light in our galaxy.

• Like 2

Um, so Portofino is already sold out of base rooms with King beds for the last week of Oct 2019?????  Jeeze  (10/18 -10/26)   Damn y'all is quick!

Well, ok, then.  Booked at Royal Pacific for HHN29!

Then GF says the silliest thing ever.  "You know we are going to Disney in 20 and wont be going to HHN30, right"   I'm like, I know I've been drinking, but it sounded like you said we aren't going to HHN30.   I really love her, but this might be a dealbreaker.

edit: I might need to go to a meeting or something.  Booking a vacation 14 months in advance?

Edited by Ueeediot

35 minutes ago, Ueeediot said:

Um, so Portofino is already sold out of base rooms with King beds for the last week of Oct 2019?????  Jeeze  (10/18 -10/26)   Damn y'all is quick!

Well, ok, then.  Booked at Royal Pacific for HHN29!

Then GF says the silliest thing ever.  "You know we are going to Disney in 20 and wont be going to HHN30, right"   I'm like, I know I've been drinking, but it sounded like you said we aren't going to HHN30.   I really love her, but this might be a dealbreaker.

edit: I might need to go to a meeting or something.  Booking a vacation 14 months in advance?

That's just smart, dear - planning, planning, planning.  And I am appalled that anyone would say "we are not going to HHN30".  The simplest reply is "Maybe YOU aren't going.. but I sure as hell am."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 1