Halloween Horror Nights 28 Speculation

Mark M.

11 hours ago, DraculaTeeth said:

Maybe all the originals have ties in the past, just maybe not as blatant as Dead Exposure. It could be new concepts that have connections to older ones?? 

Depends on what you consider to be blatant. Blatant connections for me are usually not the same for others. Nods to past houses, past stories, and IPs are very obvious to me. 

Interstellar Terror was blatantly Event Horizon to me. While others have associated it with a video game, Roddy's cameo in the house cemented the Event Horizon connection. I knew Run was a homage to The Running Man in '01. 

I can connect things very easily. I've said it before, but not recently: I am one step away from being a conspiracy theorist. 

I see obvious connections to the past in the remaining originals, but that is me. I see patterns, tropes, and similarities with ease. 

I can, also, match all of the originals to the Legions of Horror. There's only one Legion not represented. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mystiquephreeq said:

Depends on what you consider to be blatant. Blatant connections for me are usually not the same for others. Nods to past houses, past stories, and IPs are very obvious to me. 

Interstellar Terror was blatantly Event Horizon to me. While others have associated it with a video game, Roddy's cameo in the house cemented the Event Horizon connection. I knew Run was a homage to The Running Man in '01. 

I can connect things very easily. I've said it before, but not recently: I am one step away from being a conspiracy theorist. 

I see obvious connections to the past in the remaining originals, but that is me. I see patterns, tropes, and similarities with ease. 

I can, also, match all of the originals to the Legions of Horror. There's only one Legion not represented. 

By blatant I mean having the original house title in the new house title, to me that’s pretty much as obvious as they could get. Like the next chapter of Psychoscareapy or Scary Tales would be a very obvious connection to the past, to me. 

Now for something less blatant to the general public or those of us who are fans but aren’t as knowledgeable about previous HHN’s then maybe it’s the setting that connects the two but the story & characters are new or vice versa. It’s not as obvious as sharing a title, if you’ve been before & are a fan you’ll recognize something about it, but it’s not as hard to spot as one Easter egg.

Reading up on the Legions of Horror though is very, very interesting. I absolutely see Dead Exposure in there, and one I can kinda connect to one guess, but the rest I’m very curious about. And, of course, there’s one I’m still hoping is being saved for something else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fvcking cvnt said:

5+ 

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I wouldn't put too much into my ability to place houses into Legions. I've been playing my own annual game of "Match the House to the Legion" since the Legions were introduced in 2012. 

Although, this year it's a little easier to do. Originals are always easier to match. 

I have Maschorian, Kerezan (DE2), Cerebin, Morphan, and Strengoit matched. The Baccs are the only ones missing. 

The Baccs missing, of course, makes a possible 10th house very, very interesting to me. I have a streak of optimism that remains illogically hopeful for things that will most likely not come to pass. 

For IPs:

Morphan = TrT

Cerebin = StrTh 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mystiquephreeq said:

I wouldn't put too much into my ability to place houses into Legions. I've been playing my own annual game of "Match the House to the Legion" since the Legions were introduced in 2012. 

Although, this year it's a little easier to do. Originals are always easier to match. 

I have Maschorian, Kerezan (DE2), Cerebin, Morphan, and Strengoit matched. The Baccs are the only ones missing. 

The Baccs missing, of course, makes a possible 10th house very, very interesting to me. I have a streak of optimism that remains illogically hopeful for things that will most likely not come to pass. 

For IPs:

Morphan = TrT

Cerebin = StrTh 

Now I’m even more intrigued cause I was under the impression you were connecting the Legions of Horror to originals only, and Morphan I matched with one of the guesses for an original, but it also does make sense with those IP’s. Does that mean the originals left would sync with Maschorian & Strengoist..or could they also fit with IP’s? I think we share that same streak of optimism.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DraculaTeeth said:

Now I’m even more intrigued cause I was under the impression you were connecting the Legions of Horror to originals only, and Morphan I matched with one of the guesses for an original, but it also does make sense with those IP’s. Does that mean the originals left would sync with Maschorian & Strengoist..or could they also fit with IP’s? I think we share that same streak of optimism.

I've matched the originals to the Legions. I'm just not going to be more specific about that yet. 

Originals:

DE2 = Kerezan

Morphan = TBA 

Maschorian = TBA

Cerebin = TBA

Strengoit = TBA

Baccanoid = Will they appear? 

The IPs are just for fun and I can link the remaining IPs to the Legions as well. 

When it comes to story building and potential games, originals are more important.

I'll match the SZs to Legions as soon as info for them is available. 

Since I tweeted them, for those who want to see the Legion Lineages:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fvcking cvnt said:

@mystiquephreeq I was pointing out that you know of at least 5 (now confirmed to be 5) originals.

I’m excited. 

Hadn't that already been confirmed? 

Life is going to be so much easier when I'm not closing at work then waking up to get the kids to school. I'm surprised I've been able to keep track of anything. Bring on the summer!! I may actually get more than 4hrs of sleep!

• Like 1

Since things I post end up over there anyway...

Does someone want to tell IU that the trademark is dead?

There are no longer any rights issues regarding Bloody Mary.

Friendly reminder for here as well. 

^That's my illogical optimism.   

EDIT: IU post no longer needed. Optimism and reminder stand. 

• Like 3
  • Love 4

2 hours ago, mystiquephreeq said:

Since things I post end up over there anyway...

Does someone want to tell IU that the trademark is dead?

There are no longer any rights issues regarding Bloody Mary.

Friendly reminder for here as well. 

^That's my illogical optimism.   

EDIT: IU post no longer needed. Optimism and reminder stand. 

Aaaaaaand apparently BM is trademarked again--dang you Bobbie Weiner!. Ah well, we have five originals and two of the IPs are ones I really like. I can't complain.

Edited by OhHaiInternet95

6 minutes ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

Aaaaaaand apparently BM is trademarked again--dang you Bobbie Weiner!. Ah well, we have five originals and two of the IPs are ones I really like. I can't complain too much.

Is it the same thing if it's just a product and not the character? I still don't really get how you can copyright an urban legend, but whatever. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

Aaaaaaand apparently BM is trademarked again--dang you Bobbie Weiner!. Ah well, we have five originals and two of the IPs are ones I really like. I can't complain.

7 minutes ago, faceleg said:

Is it the same thing if it's just a product and not the character? I still don't really get how you can copyright an urban legend, but whatever. 

The trademark posted to IU is for jewelry. Standard Character Marks must be for specific usage. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mystiquephreeq said:

The trademark posted to IU is for jewelry. Standard Character Marks must be for specific usage. 

That just means it’s a trademark for the phrase “Bloody Mary” for use specifically in relation to jewellery. So probably a jewellery range called “Bloody Mary”. It does not, however, trademark fonts, lettering style, colours, size, etc. 

It also appears to have been in use since March 2008, but only filed for trademark protection this year. Interesting. 

In any case dont get too worried. Trademark protection is pretty flimsy. From what I remember (though it’s been a while and from a UK viewpoint), you need to prove there’s a case for consumers confusing products and as a result there’s a loss to the business. Though not sure what the specific US rules are regarding trademarks, I’d imagine they are pretty similar to the UK and rest of the world. 

7 minutes ago, Legacy said:

More of clue set 8!

Dr9ZHJH9EuF-sYAyAj3KXCv_MZg=.gif

Intentional or not, aren’t these all parodies of film/tv? I see Mad Max, NoES/Inception, and Cloud Atlas. The last one is a parody of many cult/brainwashing films and TV shows, probably a specific one but I can’t figure it out right now. And “ship” could refer to when fans want certain characters in books or films/tv to get together romantically, or desperate for something to happen. So could point to an Icon such as the Director, or HR Bloodngutz returning? Not that familiar with the HHN folklore so please correct me if I’m wrong. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Drummanmatt said:

That just means it’s a trademark for the phrase “Bloody Mary” for use specifically in relation to jewellery. So probably a jewellery range called “Bloody Mary”. It does not, however, trademark fonts, lettering style, colours, size, etc. 

It also appears to have been in use since March 2008, but only filed for trademark protection this year. Interesting. 

In any case dont get too worried. Trademark protection is pretty flimsy. From what I remember (though it’s been a while and from a UK viewpoint), you need to prove there’s a case for consumers confusing products and as a result there’s a loss to the business. Though not sure what the specific US rules are regarding trademarks, I’d imagine they are pretty similar to the UK and rest of the world. 

Looking at her website, she's mostly a makeup artist, and I think she has a makeup line called Bloody Mary. She has a website for it, www.dearbloodymary.com but it's not loading for me. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheRobcat said:

Was there a sorting hat-like online test to find your Legion, or could you just choose? Morphans are my favorite. 

Strengoit original makes me think of Nightengales

I missed this earlier. 

You choose your Legion. Find the one with the traits most like your own. 

I'm 5ft 1, sarcastic to a fault, and love riddles and games. The trickster Morphan fits me, but there is Bacc and Strengoit as well. I refer to myself as a baccamorphagoit. The Morphan part wins out most of the time. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, mystiquephreeq said:

You choose your Legion. Find the one with the traits most like your own. 

I'm maybe 5'7, used to say the Cheshire Cat was my spirit animal, am endlessly drawn to games and riddles, always played a chaotic good thief in D&D, Ragabash in Werewolf and specialized in duplicitous Ravnos in Vampire: The Masquerade. 

I'll go straight Morphan. heh heh

My Hogwarts house is Raven Claw. That might translate. 

• Mark M. featured this topic
  • Mark M. locked and unpinned this topic
  • Mark M. unfeatured this topic