Halloween Horror Nights 28 Speculation

Mark M.

18 hours ago, hunnylvr said:

Re Uni commercials - I've seen a few Wizarding World ones on tv here, but that's if I'm watching some cable channel.  I have still never seen an HHN related spot in this area.  They are missing a huge opportunity, I think, by not advertising the event more outside of Florida.

Yes and no.  I live in Georgia and I never see a HHN commercial even though I do see a fair amount of USF adverts.  However, I was told by USF staff that the big 3 hotels were completely booked for HHN by early May 2017.  So, there is no big reason for spending money to advertise.

1 hour ago, ToxicodendronHEDERA92 said:

Have we actually heard anything to indicate an upcoming announcement tho or are we assuming based on it being Thursday?  just wondering if I missed something

Well, there is this: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Ueeediot said:

However, I was told by USF staff that the big 3 hotels were completely booked for HHN by early May 2017.  So, there is no big reason for spending money to advertise.

was just thinking that... sold out constantly... they really dont need to advertise.

14 minutes ago, Ueeediot said:

Yes and no.  I live in Georgia and I never see a HHN commercial even though I do see a fair amount of USF adverts.  However, I was told by USF staff that the big 3 hotels were completely booked for HHN by early May 2017.  So, there is no big reason for spending money to advertise.

Well, there is this: 

What in the actual F**K????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Drummanmatt said:

Are we sure it’s for Zero? I’ve not seen anything other than there being a lot of speculation as to what Zero actually is. 

Basically the only thing we do know is that it's for Zero

... and it looks like it may be announced tomorrow rather than today

Edited by Midnight Detective

Didn't HHN do a maze years ago over in IoA where every couple of guests got a "hard hat" with a light on it that would flicker on and off based on where you were inside the house? While I think giving guest access to portable lights now is an awful idea with the current crowd the event draws in (those poor actors will be blind by the end of the first night!) I do think the concept is cool. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Badge said:

Didn't HHN do a maze years ago over in IoA where every couple of guests got a "hard hat" with a light on it that would flicker on and off based on where you were inside the house? While I think giving guest access to portable lights now is an awful idea with the current crowd the event draws in (those poor actors will be blind by the end of the first night!) I do think the concept is cool. 

Terror Mines. PUTS in 06' used the hard hats, too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

That had to be the shortest house ever if it just started in the tunnel. Like, how did they make it more than two scenes long?

I went through maybe 5 times.  Not the shortest house by any means (that would be anything in Nazerman's).  But by no means a soundstage house.  These were the days when the website designers gave wonderful backstories online about the houses.  For TM, there was a "game" where you move your mouse around the screen and the cursor is like a flashlight, looking around the dark screen.  When you pointed at a specific location your screen was attacked by a huge creature.  The first time we saw that we shat ourselves thoroughly on HHNVault.  Unfortunately, I remember that TM was one of the lowest rated (Where Evil Hides was the other stinker that year).   

The helmets were given to about every 8th in line, and being a conga line that meant there was a lot of time standing in darkness, not moving.  Because that one person controlled the focus of the light, everyone else could only see where he was pointed.  Unlike a traditional house where misdirection is a key factor, in TM sounds were intended to make you face in a certain direction and then the scare was revealed.  So if the guy wearing the helmet wasn't taking to those queues for one reason  or another, the group missed out on things.  Plus, because the light was programmed to flicker or go out in some areas, instead of it making for a scary environment, you had 7 people yelling at the poor guy wearing the helmet because he was "screwing things up".  Also, imagine the case where the helmet was given to someone who then buried her face in the back of her boyfriend.  Oops.

The creatures in TM were similar to what we saw in Foresaken.  Think of the glowing eyes.  One of the biggest complaints about the house was that a good number of the creatures initially attacked and then cowered when the light was shined at them.  This meant you unwittingly had a weapon to ward off the monsters in a house - which rendered the house non-scary.  I went early in the year so that is what I experienced.  I heard they "fixed" that shortly after my visit, but the house never caught on.

The house was not very maze like - no switchbacks.  Being in Poseiden's Fury, there was a good amount of room.  They walled off the areas where the audience stands and wound it around those areas.  They were able to use some of the practical sets by lighting them dimly behind a scrim.  It gave some visual depth to the house, as it was otherwise just a very long hallway with burlap on either side.  They also were able to use some of the flame effects, which were by definition far more impressive than the Orfanage. Lastly, they took you through the water vortex.  There was no real reason why you were going through it or why it was there, but it was cool.  I'm wondering if it was always turned on, because I cannot imagine those pumps can run continuous for an 8 hour stint.  But I definitely remember the vortex being on every time I went through.  They did have to pulse the line though so no one was left standing in the vortex.  That caused terrible backups of the line as you can imagine, as the vortex was at the end of the house.

It was a great idea and I'm glad I got to experience it.

For Dead Exposure instead of being armed with cameras (lights), A&D controlled when the "camera flashes" would happen.  What I didn't care for there was that with the exception of the first and last room, the house was a Black and White experience - no color at all.  So that meant all the props were painted in a whitish paint that glowed under UV light.  You wandered through a Hardware Store scene and you saw things that vaguely looked like shovels and hoes.  A park scene would have a (probably very detailed) fountain bush painted with the white stuff.    A sewer scene had cheesy looking sewer grates painted white with white stuff flowing out of them.  Unlike every other house at HHN there was no detail or color.  The zombies had no detail either; most were just whitish shapes with stringy hair.  And rather than strobes A&D used massive UV LED panels.  They were HUGE (2ftx4ft) and impossible to avoid taking your complete attention.  They were everywhere.  But a crap ton of people loved it and it was a huge hit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, zombieman said:

I went through maybe 5 times.  Not the shortest house by any means (that would be anything in Nazerman's).  But by no means a soundstage house.  These were the days when the website designers gave wonderful backstories online about the houses.  For TM, there was a "game" where you move your mouse around the screen and the cursor is like a flashlight, looking around the dark screen.  When you pointed at a specific location your screen was attacked by a huge creature.  The first time we saw that we shat ourselves thoroughly on HHNVault.  Unfortunately, I remember that TM was one of the lowest rated (Where Evil Hides was the other stinker that year).   

The helmets were given to about every 8th in line, and being a conga line that meant there was a lot of time standing in darkness, not moving.  Because that one person controlled the focus of the light, everyone else could only see where he was pointed.  Unlike a traditional house where misdirection is a key factor, in TM sounds were intended to make you face in a certain direction and then the scare was revealed.  So if the guy wearing the helmet wasn't taking to those queues for one reason  or another, the group missed out on things.  Plus, because the light was programmed to flicker or go out in some areas, instead of it making for a scary environment, you had 7 people yelling at the poor guy wearing the helmet because he was "screwing things up".  Also, imagine the case where the helmet was given to someone who then buried her face in the back of her boyfriend.  Oops.

The creatures in TM were similar to what we saw in Foresaken.  Think of the glowing eyes.  One of the biggest complaints about the house was that a good number of the creatures initially attacked and then cowered when the light was shined at them.  This meant you unwittingly had a weapon to ward off the monsters in a house - which rendered the house non-scary.  I went early in the year so that is what I experienced.  I heard they "fixed" that shortly after my visit, but the house never caught on.

The house was not very maze like - no switchbacks.  Being in Poseiden's Fury, there was a good amount of room.  They walled off the areas where the audience stands and wound it around those areas.  They were able to use some of the practical sets by lighting them dimly behind a scrim.  It gave some visual depth to the house, as it was otherwise just a very long hallway with burlap on either side.  They also were able to use some of the flame effects, which were by definition far more impressive than the Orfanage. Lastly, they took you through the water vortex.  There was no real reason why you were going through it or why it was there, but it was cool.  I'm wondering if it was always turned on, because I cannot imagine those pumps can run continuous for an 8 hour stint.  But I definitely remember the vortex being on every time I went through.  They did have to pulse the line though so no one was left standing in the vortex.  That caused terrible backups of the line as you can imagine, as the vortex was at the end of the house.

Yeah I remember that game. I guess what I'm saying is that if the beginning of the house was the tunnel, the main battle scene in PF (assuming the house path was the flat area around the risen platforms where PF guests would stand) doesn't exactly provide a very long area, which I very carefully observed the last time I saw PF. I know they used the PF show effects judging by the website.

It seems like 15 was a year where the storyline/website was beloved (and it was awesome), but aside from BC most of the houses were...not well received.

Thank you BTW for posting this. I love descriptions of old houses.

As far as backstories go, even if it didn't get website games, I felt like Scarecrow was given a fairly good backstory (spirit of the land being pissed off about '30s farming practices).

Edited by OhHaiInternet95
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

It seems like 15 was a year where the storyline/website was beloved (and it was awesome), but aside from BC most of the houses were...not well received.

14 was my first year in Orlando and I was utterly blown away by it.  No one liked Disorientorium (the "fun house" house).

15 had a tremendous overall backstory and what I immediately saw was how similar three of the houses were to 14.  Cold Blind Terror was a slightly less bad version of Disorientorium.  Demon Cantina had the feel of Castle Vampyre.  Blood Ruins had the look of Ghost Town.   Even so, HHN Orlando did something that none of my local California haunts had done - completely change the theme of every house every year.   So I was hooked on going across the country every year.

No doubt, the three bottom houses in 2005 were Cold Blind Terror, Terror Mines, and Where Evil Hides.  Body Collectors was the clear star (I think the characters which were directly taken from the Gentlemen were the sole reason why).  Demon Cantina was well received, and felt a whole lot like From Dusk Till Dawn.  The Skool was that year's The Fallen - it grew on you and became a favorite.  Blood Ruins was considered to be an "ok" house. Roanoke (2014, not the AHS house) felt a lot like Blood Ruins.  Rat Run was cool in that spectators had buttons that sprung traps on people in the maze.  The scarezones for once were equal stars to the houses.  And of course this was the last time HHN would be in IOA, which was so perfect to play the role of Terra Cruentus.

• Like 1

Ifrit's saying Dead Exposure.  You're getting your wish, Hunnylvr

I hope that means Legendary Truth is going to come alive again!   But Legacy said this would blow us away; what would blow me away is if they managed to bring back Bloody Mary in this house

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, zombieman said:

14 was my first year in Orlando and I was utterly blown away by it.  No one liked Disorientorium (the "fun house" house).

15 had a tremendous overall backstory and what I immediately saw was how similar three of the houses were to 14.  Cold Blind Terror was a slightly less bad version of Disorientorium.  Demon Cantina had the feel of Castle Vampyre.  Blood Ruins had the look of Ghost Town.   Even so, HHN Orlando did something that none of my local California haunts had done - completely change the theme of every house every year.   So I was hooked on going across the country every year.

No doubt, the three bottom houses in 2005 were Cold Blind Terror, Terror Mines, and Where Evil Hides.  Body Collectors was the clear star (I think the characters which were directly taken from the Gentlemen were the sole reason why).  Demon Cantina was well received, and felt a whole lot like From Dusk Till Dawn.  The Skool was that year's The Fallen - it grew on you and became a favorite.  Blood Ruins was considered to be an "ok" house. Roanoke (2014, not the AHS house) felt a lot like Blood Ruins.  Rat Run was cool in that spectators had buttons that sprung traps on people in the maze.  The scarezones for once were equal stars to the houses.  And of course this was the last time HHN would be in IOA, which was so perfect to play the role of Terra Cruentus.

I was extremely fortunate to have made it to four years: 16, 18, 26 and 27.

Oh and thanks to copyrights, Mary can't come back. :,(

Still, hoping TrT is one of the IP houses--can get at least two houses from 18 back in some form. :)

Edited by OhHaiInternet95
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

Oh and thanks to copyrights, Mary can't come back. :,(

I never say never when it comes to HHN.  Stranger Things have happened ^_^

From a Nov 2017 interview:

I write “The Tales Of Bloody Mary” Comic Books and I have licensed them to Universal Studios for Halloween Horror Nights in Orlando and Six Flags Theme Parks.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, zombieman said:

I write “The Tales Of Bloody Mary” Comic Books and I have licensed them to Universal Studios for Halloween Horror Nights in Orlando and Six Flags Theme Parks.

She doesn't have to license anything. She's doing a CYA because Mary Agana never belonged to her!!!

AND.....

THE TRADEMARK IS DEAD!!!

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4807:44gmll.5.24

EDIT: @zombiemanThank you for reminding me to check the trademark status. I'm going to be over here dancing a fangirl jig!!

• Like 4
  • Love 2

13 minutes ago, zombieman said:

On a side note, I watched Carnage Returns recently and noticed that they referenced all icons, and at one point Jack said something like, "raise your glass, even better if it's a Bloody Mary!" Intentional?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mystiquephreeq said:

She doesn't have to license anything. She's doing a CYA because Mary Agana never belonged to her!!!

AND.....

THE TRADEMARK IS DEAD!!!

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4807:44gmll.5.24

EDIT: @zombiemanThank you for reminding me to check the trademark status. I'm going to be over here dancing a fangirl jig!!

OOOOHH!  Cancelled as of 10/20/2017!  Now why would anyone let it expire right in the middle of Halloween season?  So, in 2017, HHN would have had to pay a licensing fee.  But not now....

Could this be the thing of which Legacy speaks?  

That HHN would have to pay ZERO dollars to license Bloody Mary?

That Bobbie Weiner would have ZERO recourse if HHN used Bloody Mary?

That I would have ZERO reason not to go to HHN?

Could you even imagine what we would do if they just revealed the return of TWD tomorrow? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It seems to me that the trademark issues have to do with the specific look and make up used, and the exact back story tied in with her comics.  The urban legend of Bloody Mary can't be trademarked and since they've changed the looks of other icons to update them over the years I would think that giving her a clear backstory tied only to the urban legend with details that clearly separate her from the comic character and updating her look would mean she could show up any year they want...I don't know if they are interested in burning that bridge in case they wanna work with her in the future, or incase they use her make up products in any way at hhn.  I would think having her show up enough years later that she may not even notice and avoiding using the phrase "she's back" in anyway to draw attention would all be easy ways to prove they aren't ripping her off just going a different route... idk maybe there's other details that I'm missing but this seems to be a case with some huge loopholes if universal is interested, sensitivity seems to be the bigger issue and how they handle it than the rights!! 

Oh and can can I just say I'm loving the fact that they're telling us when the announcements are coming this year even if it's only the day before!!!

plus if the trademark she did have has expired than moving forward she can't even try to prove they ripped her off in the future, she has no ground to stand on anymore!

Edited by ToxicodendronHEDERA92
  • Like 2

• Mark M. featured this topic
  • Mark M. locked and unpinned this topic
  • Mark M. unfeatured this topic