HHN 27 Event Photos & Video

Mark M.

2 hours ago, Grime said:

Incredible shots Pandry. I really need to work on my settings and play in LR more. I haven't picked up the DSLR in almost a year, so I'm certainly a little rusty. I've been shooting most of the time at 1/125, 1600 ISO, f/1.4-f/2.8 but I can't seem to get the lighting right. I really, really hate how much they flood red across the Hollywood zone which makes it very difficult for me to balance it out.

I'm surprised at how crisp some of those shots are at 1/80, and how much light you got at f/2.8 with 400 ISO. Will make adjustments this week and report back :)

Thanks man, I really appreciate it!  Flickr is a little strange when reading the camera data.  So here's the "missing ingredient" which makes those settings work - at least for all save the Lady Liberty image, which did have enough ambient light: I'm utilizing an external flash.  I think why it's not showing on the settings readout is because I'm firing it remotely.  I have a receiver on it.  So I'm holding my camera in my right hand and then I have the flash in my left hand.  I keep the flash down low so it shoots upward, giving that sort of flashlight-under-your-chin look when telling ghost stories.  You can really notice it on the final image as it was a stilt walker so the upshot of light is particularly noticeable.  I keep the flash settings at -1/128 of power so it does it's best to fill the subject but keep the ambient light.  And hopefully not blind the scareactors.  The Grady Twins, being so short, did NOT like it and actually ratted me out to the coordinator, who simply requested I not use the flash with them.  I tried to capture them in a decently lit spot within that tiny zone, but in general, they didn't want their picture taken.  As soon as they'd see me, they'd turn the other way.  As they did with others trying to get their picture.

These were from this past Thursday.  As I had previously mentioned, I had my camera on opening night and had crap, all shots.  I prefer still images.  I haven't shot actual subjects since HHN 26, nor used my flash.  Given they're constantly moving, the lighting is ever changing and it's hand held, it's such a unique environment for photography that's also very challenging.  For each decent shot I got there are quite a few worthless shots that will never see the light of day.

• Thanks 1

I thought it had to be flash but I figured flickr would pick up the external remote. My SB-600 died a couple years back, and was wondering if I should pick up a new one. Maybe it's time. I'd likely keep it mounted to avoid purchasing additional hardware, but keeping it low power with my lightsphere might be good enough to just to give it a quick dab of light if I stay back far enough (shooting 50mm and 85mm on a crop sensor). Obviously you get the freedom of directional lighting by keeping it remote, but it might be better than nothing.

And then there's the whole thing of bothering the actors. Being in low light like that for such a long time and then having my ass walk through with a lightsphere going off every few seconds, I can't imagine they'd like that too much.

We'll see I suppose. Maybe I'll flirt with the idea if I can find a good deal on a decent one, but eh.

1 minute ago, Grime said:

I thought it had to be flash but I figured flickr would pick up the external remote. My SB-600 died a couple years back, and was wondering if I should pick up a new one. Maybe it's time. I'd likely keep it mounted to avoid purchasing additional hardware, but keeping it low power with my lightsphere might be good enough to just to give it a quick dab of light. Obviously you get the freedom of directional lighting by keeping it remote, but it might be better than nothing.

And then there's the whole thing of bothering the actors. Being in low light like that for such a long time and then having my ass walk through with a lightsphere going off every few seconds, I can't imagine they'd like that too much.

We'll see I suppose. Maybe I'll flirt with the idea if I can find a good deal on a decent one, but eh.

I didn't have the remote last year and got decent shots.  But it was only at the latter half of HHN last year that I had purchased the speedlite.  Used on eBay for like $80.  Oddly enough, I never had any issue with shooting while it was mounted on my camera.  I got the remote system for $15 on Amazon right before the start of this year's.  And here I already got a complaint.  I was there last night and tempered the photo taking.  I'd prefer to get shots of the scareactors when they're not looking.  I always feel like I'm invading their space if they stop to pose.  And now I'm weary of the remote flash method.  But I was trying this method, this year, based on the suggestion of other photographers doing it, and I've seen endless images from them.  So who knows.  I think you can position yourself in decent light in all the zones except Festival.  Hollywood Blvd is so dark.  It feels much darker than Vamp was last year.

• Like 1

Would anyone like to see the photo contest come back this year?  We didn't do one last year.   Not sure what the best way to do it would be, seems we don;t have the support forum wise much anymore to do one!

Facebook could be another option, and easier for people to post?  Poll options may be limited though.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mz_ said:

Would anyone like to see the photo contest come back this year?  We didn't do one last year.   Not sure what the best way to do it would be, seems we don;t have the support forum wise much anymore to do one!

Facebook could be another option, and easier for people to post?  Poll options may be limited though.

I don't see why not. I'm not on Facebook, so if it's done that way somebody would have to enter for me which is fine.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 8:30 AM, mz_ said:

Let's do it!  Whichever way is easiest is fine by me.

• Like 1

I promised Cast B in the Purge tonight that I would upload some photos. However, I am having trouble posting images. I am only seeing to post a link to an external site like Photobucket. Can somebody refresh my memory, because I know I did this before. 

EDIT: I hope this link works. This (hopefully) shares an album, but please let me know how to upload individual pictures.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/159128146@N07/shares/5n4oh6

Edited by hhnholdem

16 minutes ago, Tman875 said:

I never understand vloggers (or repeat guests) who go to HHN, never look at a map, make up scarezones, and try to be clever with the scareactors. How big and bad does that really make you look? :blink:

I wasn't trying to be big and bad. I looked at the map but I looked at it near the end of the night looking for my last 2 houses. You just gotta have fun with it man.