HHN 27 Discussion

Mark M.

It makes me kinda sad that they didnt fully take down the stage before the hurricane.

Could the damage been prevented if they took it all down? Seems like a shame.

Lol maybe they should put them om the terminator stage lol. 

That ride is leaving, why not just use that screen to play their show

Alright here is my fresh, just left Horror Nights, first draft of my house rankings list with little to no explanations yet:

1.Dead Waters: First house of the year and first scares...also the facade 

2.Scarecrows: Very Scary! 

3.Ash Vs Evil Dead 

4.American Horror Story 

5.The Fallen: Never had a great run but the set pieces were amazing and the wire work.

6.The Shining: Great run and the references this house was great

7. Blumhouse 

8.Hive 

9.Saw 

So had a taster of HHN Thursday night (been sick after so how’s my first chance to post!). 

Only did the shining and dead waters as i dont I don’t want to spoil my rip tour now on Friday. 

I think as I did stay and scream and it was still bright outside the houses seemed really dark. I was struggling to see where I was going at some points. However loved the shining. Great take on the film, and really made you feel like you were descending into madness. Especially the end in the maze with multiple jacks coming at you from every which way. 

Dead waters was great too, if a little short. The houseboat section was fun and totally threw me. However the best scare for me was right at the end. I saw the exit, headed confidently towards the light outside when all of a sudden this swamp monster thing came from nowhere screaming in my face. I nearly fell over! Was so not expecting it. So hats off to that scareactor job well done. 

Scarezones were fun. Feel like invasion was wasted in such a small space though which is a shame. Purge was everything I hoped it would be (never been before), but why no siren after the purge announcement? Seems odd. Trick r treat is gorgeous. Can’t wait to see it in the dark!

not looking forward to the scarecrow house. I think it’ll be a one time deal, and the rest of the RIP tour group should pay extra to laugh at how terrified I’m going to be! 

• Like 2

So after experiencing HHN for opening weekend, I had a fun time. This is only the first of my few trips, and these reviews will change. I will say that I think that the original houses are stronger than the IP's. So here's my ranking for houses.

Houses:

1). Scarecrow - The house was dark, scary and the actors where awesome! Went through the house 4 times and every walk through, my group got the scares! So far my favorite house of the year!!!!

2). The Hive - Very dark and a few nods to what should have been. The vampires were creepy and disturbing. I've never felt so nervous in a house since 2010. Truely remarkable.

3). AHS - It had few scares, but I'm an overall fan of the show. Most terrified in the asylum and Roanoke areas. Coven I thought could've had more scare actors, but the house as a whole was very beautiful and true to the show.

4). The Fallen - This house reminds me a lot of Hades from HHN 20 and it was really cool. The house was visually stunning. To me it was loud and very in your face. Didn't see any "angels" and it was more like a demon house. But the scares are there for sure! The flying demons got me with every walk through.

5). SAW - I thought this house was good. My first run through, didn't get the scares and the timing was off a lot. After 2 more walk throughs, it grew on me. My group got some scares and we liked it. The pig guy is a majority of the house though.

6). Dead Waters - I really did like this house, the scares where there and it sticks true to bayou voodoo. The reason why it's so low is that the lighting was bad. I was first in my group and I kept bumping into so many walls, and I bumped into a few staff in black.

7). Ash vs. Evil Dead - I don't watch the series, but I'm familiar with the original Evil Dead movies. I didn't know what was going on a majority of the time, but I had a great time in the house. Lots of laughs and a few scares. 

8). Blumhouse - I was expecting a lot from this house. But sadly enough, *spoilers* it was mainly insidious!!!!! Sinister had 2 rooms. Purge was a hall way, and the rest was insidious. However, a majority of the scares are in insidious. To me this house was a last minute idea.

9). The Shinning - I know I'm going to get comments, but this house should've never happened. To me it was more of a walk through museum and people kept stoping to look at Jack and the twins. My group encountered little scares. We had 2 jacks, the twins, old lady, and 3 bar tenders. It was just endless hallways. I know Universal couldn't design a house that would capture the whole hotel, but I thought they could've done more. Considering how I had doubts last year with The Exorcist, I loved the house and the scares. The Shinning, I developed an idea that if they can do The Exorcist, then The Shinning would be awesome. Sadly it was not. But I'm willing to give this house more chances because it takes a few days for Horror Nights to get better and things change constantly. I will say though that the Jack actors look a lot like from the movie.

• Like 3

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:33 AM, PeoriaBJJ said:

Didn't get to see Ash, Hive or Scarecrow last night bc of the power outage!!!! Total bullshit...

What time was the outage?  I was there last night.  But we hit some houses close to when gates opened.

Edited by Pandry
Never mind. That was Friday, not last night.

I went Friday night and had express passes. The last few hours with the power outage I missed 3 of the houses. I called guest services the next morning and they offered complimentary tickets to another night, express pass included. Something to think about for you guys that could not experience the whole event due to the power outage.

I had not been to HHN for about 13 years since I had moved away from Florida. Almost disappointed, but Universal definitely did the right thing with us.

• Like 2

I'm really loving all of the reviews you guys are doing! My group isn't going until October 28th and unfortunately it's the only time we can go this year :( I'm chomping at the bit because I normally go multiple times, and have gone once by this time in years past. IT'S KILLING ME. SO yeah, these reviews are keeping me going until I'm actually able to go. I'm most excited for scarecrow, the fallen, and the TrT SZ. I had my doubts about The Shining because I wasn't sure how they'd be able to translate it, but I did keep my hopes up (atleast a little) because of how much I ended up liking the exorcist. Has anyone gone through the shining multiple times and had atleast one good go??

• Like 2

I've been 3 times so far.  The only house we've yet to do is Blumhouse.  The lineup is so strong this year.  Each year houses are usually a mix of awesome and shit.  This year feels like amazing, awesome and decent.  With the 8 we've been through, I look forward to continue going through them again and again.  By now, there'd usually be at least 1-2 houses that I'd cease to go in again.  Not this year!!  Though we'll see with Blumhouse.  But I think I'll be okay with that one, too.

• Like 4

I finally recovered from the trip and the days after. I gotta say, to those of you interested in a pink donut; eat it outside of the simpsons food court. Do yourself a favor and enjoy the clown scareactors, since the night i went they were at the top of their game. 

6 hours ago, bbbritney said:

I had my doubts about The Shining because I wasn't sure how they'd be able to translate it, but I did keep my hopes up (atleast a little) because of how much I ended up liking the exorcist. Has anyone gone through the shining multiple times and had atleast one good go??

You read my review so you already know this but I just want to say it again; I went into this house once kinda expecting it to disappoint, and I loved it a whole lot. Maybe it's bc I wasn't huge on the original movie but certainly from a house perspective it was great and I feel they did it justice. I see the complaints for this house but I can't say I can relate to them. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Pandry said:

What time was the outage?  I was there last night.  But we hit some houses close to when gates opened.

this was about 9:35pm Friday night as we were entering HIVE. As far as I know the power effected the back lot houses and it was weird bc like half the light in Trick R Treat were off too. Of course then the front of the park get crowded AF. But then Sunday night the scanner werent working and got to hit a couple houses with our fast passes. Overall I thought this year was pretty good. Best house year since 21 IMO. Scare Zones were good but not great although I think TrT is my new fav SZ of all time..... again I will post a Non-Hater review this week once I catch up on all the work I missed going to FL!!! LOL

• Like 3

Friends! Ive gone to HHN for 9 years now but coming from out of state I can only afford to go one night a year. Imagine how nerve wracking it is to only be able to go one night (its scarier than HHN)  I always need to be as prepared as possible. If ya'll could help me out with these questions I will send you a large virtual hug!

what are the wait times like (is there a house with the longer waits)

what order do you suggest I do houses this year?

what houses do they open first for stay and scream. 

If I could do a couple houses twice, which should I do?

and most importantly do all the soundstage houses do that thing where they let you out super far away from the entrance?

Thanks in advance friends!

53 minutes ago, Itsjosie said:

Friends! Ive gone to HHN for 9 years now but coming from out of state I can only afford to go one night a year. Imagine how nerve wracking it is to only be able to go one night (its scarier than HHN)  I always need to be as prepared as possible. If ya'll could help me out with these questions I will send you a large virtual hug!

what are the wait times like (is there a house with the longer waits)

what order do you suggest I do houses this year?

what houses do they open first for stay and scream. 

If I could do a couple houses twice, which should I do?

and most importantly do all the soundstage houses do that thing where they let you out super far away from the entrance?

What day of the week are you going to attend?  I have a FFP so I went opening weekend, last Thursday and then this past Sunday.  It's still crowded but I don't feel like it is as crowded last year at the same period.  It seems to be a trend the past couple years that Friday and, especially Saturday, have shorter waits than the non-peak nights.

AHS and Shining tend to have the higher wait times as they're primarily the first two houses people pass.  I've seen their wait times post 60-70 minutes but they're probably less than that.  Everything else hovers 30-45, tops.  Sunday night, at around 8pm, Hive and Scarecrow each had 20 minute waits posted.

Not sure on S&S as I don't have a Universal pass.

I'm probably not the best to give a route to use.  But, we always go down Hollywood Blvd and work counter clockwise.  But sometimes we start with the soundstages.  It's just that with S&S, those already have waits as gates open for the GP.

Dead Waters has such amazing scenery that it warrants multiple views.  The houses are so strong this year that they're all worth multiple trips.

The soundstages, to me, all seem to follow previous year queue exits.  I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.  But Ash vs. Evil Dead in the parade building is a trek with their queue.  Probably feels longer as you walk down the back road and can see just how far you have to walk - in a straight line.  Then it exits and has you backtrack the entire route again.  Whereas in previous years it exited over towards Tent 1 and wasn't nearly as long.

Again, I'm sure others can be more specific.  Have fun!!

Did the RIP tour last night and so glad I did. Had a great time!

loved all the houses except Saw which was poor in my opinion. Saw the barbed wire guy, reverse bear trap and rib thing go off, but everything else nada. Plus pressing the red buttons did nothing. Maybe it was s bad run but was disappointed. 

Other than that loved loved the rest. Ash vs evil dead was great and a good representation of the show, but didn’t see Paulo anywhere (other than altars of horror). AHS again great representation of the show. Shining was brilliant and very true to the film. Blumhouse got me good - strobe lights just disorientated me though so cheap scares, but loved seeing insidious (purge and sinister bit boring). 

The originals though were fantastic. Missed most of the scares in scarecrow but could tell it was pretty intense. Hive was interesting but in a good way.  The fallen was gorgeous and the flying scares were incredible. However my house if the year is dead waters. This house was beautiful, and the scare actors kept making me jump all the time. Loved it. 

Rankings are:

1 - dead waters

2 - the shining

3 - scarecrow

4 - the fallen

5 - Ash vs Evil Dead

6 - AHS

7 - Hive

8 - blumhouse

9 - Saw

will say that 4-8 are all too close to call and probably interchangeable for me. 

• Like 1

In Episode 1, take a behind-the-scenes look at Universal Studios' Halloween Horror Nights, get to know The Creators.

In this episode, Michael Aiello, Senior Director, Creative Development at Universal Orlando Resort Entertainment and John Murdy, Creative Director/Executive Producer of Halloween Horror Nights, Universal Studios Hollywood, talk about the process and the teams that make Halloween Horror Nights a truly one-of-a-kind event around the world. From creative visioning to virtual models, from makeup and characters to architecture and design, learn how it all comes together to create the ultimate guest experience, filled with plenty of screams.

In Episode 2 of the behind-the-scenes look at Universal Studios' Halloween Horror Nights, get to know "The Scene Setters."

In this episode, meet Nick Collins, Senior Scenic Designer, Universal Orlando Resort Entertainment, Brian Ludmer, Technical Production Manager, Universal Studios Hollywood, Karen Rigsby, Art Manager, Universal Orlando Resort Entertainment and Tony Lindas, Assistant Manager, Props, Universal Studios Hollywood. From 3-D modeling to 360-degree scare tactics to SIF (stuff in face), learn more about the process of building an immersive environment that creates the ultimate guest experience, filled with plenty of screams.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drummanmatt said:

Ash vs evil dead was great and a good representation of the show, but didn’t see Paulo anywhere (other than altars of horror).

Spoilers!!!:

Pablo was in the right, very last scare of the house before you see Ashy Slashy,  The Necronomicon was stuck on his face though.

Went all four days last weekend, and had a great time. I plan on writing a full review at some point, but I haven't had the time as of yet.

But as it stands, my rankings are: 

1.) Scarecrow

2. Hive & Dead Waters (tied)

3.) The Fallen

4.)AHS v2

5.) The Shining

6.) SAW

7.) Blumhouse

I was able to go the second week of HHN and had a great time. During that trip I was also able to do the escape room @hunnylvr talked about in previous posts. We did the asylum and it was SO much fun. I been to a bunch of escape rooms and this is by far my favorite. I think my husband got more scares here than he did at the parks. It was very innovative and well designed. The staff was also wonderful! I believe there is still a discount code available for hhn nightmares members. If anyone is interested their website is http://www.dare2escape.com/

They are not very far from the parks so we did ours during the day before we headed back for HHN. 

Also we did escape, but just barely.

• Like 1