HHN 27 Discussion

Mark M.

1 hour ago, QueenoftheBunnies said:

Speak for yourself, man. I am neither of those but still love jello shots. It's part of the event. 

I'm definitely not mad at the lower number of drink stations. I had drinks spilled on me a couple times in the scarezones. Does anyone know if they're still selling alcohol in the lines for the mazes? 

Have been through all of the house queues, haven't seen any liquor sales before, during, or after them.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Badge said:

I saw a picture on Twitter about the Duff Gardens area in Hollywood. They ARE selling alcohol at Hollywood during HHN, however it comes with some STRICT rules which is what was shown in the picture!

The ones I can remember off the top of my head are:

1) No speed drinking

2) Valid ID must be shown to ENTER the Gardens and then again when purchasing the drink

3) A STRICT two drink max PER NIGHT

4) Absolutely no sharing even if both people are over the age of 21

5) You are allowed into the area ONCE, must consume your entire drink inside the blocked off area, and leave. No drinks can leave the area and you can't come back later in the night if you want your 2nd drink 

Honestly I wish they would do something like this with Orlando. I have witnessed my far share of drunk people walking around the park and it really kills your night when your around it. Once had a lady VERY drunk next to me at Bill and Ted that kept standing up and yelling back at the cast. Problem was, she still had a drink in her hand and every time she stood up, people around her (myself included) would get some spilled on us. 

I'm totally against them making the whole event dry because I like to have a little "liquid courage" to get me through the houses. However, having bar's all over the place makes it WAY to easy for people that don't know their limit to get totally wasted. I feel like a great solution would be wristbands. Have the tents setup outside the gates (like they do for AP night's checkin) and laptop's hooked up to a database. The worker will type in some data (maybe name and last 3 or 4 digits of your ID number) and then give you a wristband. The band will have 2 or 3 boxes on it. When you purchase a drink, they mark off one box. When your boxes are filled, your cut off for the night. Since they have your name and part of your ID number on file, you can't throw away your band and go get another that night.

I would rather the event just go dry. I am not a child and would not like to pay to be treated like one. What a joke.

41 minutes ago, Grime said:

Have been through all of the house queues, haven't seen any liquor sales before, during, or after them.

I saw them on Friday night, (1) that is.  Dead Waters had a queue stand for the usual  -  a few bottled beer selections and bottled water.  That was the only house we did standby as, for some strange reason, it was legitimately a 15 minute wait around 8pm.  I was in Express for other houses after that.  The tents had that stand setup near the exit like they have in past years.  But I wasn't paying attention to see if it was accessible on entry with the new Tent 1 queue.

2 hours ago, LucasKLeeEsq said:

Any updates on the merch? HHN hollywood just added Saw shirts. I also heard rumors that Orlando got B&T shirts now?

I saw B&T shirts at the Citywalk merch booth a few days before TM preview, and several in the MIB store on opening night.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Seems like the AOV stage has been completely removed now. Apparently it was damaged pretty bad in the storm and has to be replaced. No word on if a new one is coming or if the temporary stage is now the permanent stage.

Yikes.  I wasn't expecting that.  Hopefully Universal can work some magic and get a stage up fast, the show deserves more than being in the corner. 

I know it would be a crowd control disaster but maybe doing it on the Music Plaza Stage as a way to "entertain the guests waiting in the plaza, would have to eliminate some of the switchbacks for the crowd though. 

• Like 1

Reading everyone's reviews on the event, most pretty much line up with my expectations vs reality vs overall outcome that I've come to expect over the years. 

While it seems like some great originals, still feel it was a solid decision not to go this year. I would have liked to have seen Tirck r' Treat (favorite all-time horror movie aside from Jacob's Ladder) and the walkthrough's of the originals look on point. Just not enough to bring me back. 

Hope everyone has a fun year! I'll probably pop back up next year. 

caio

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, JDW said:

Reading everyone's reviews on the event, most pretty much line up with my expectations vs reality vs overall outcome that I've come to expect over the years. 

While it seems like some great originals, still feel it was a solid decision not to go this year. I would have liked to seen Tirck r' Treat (favorite all-time horror movie aside from Jacob's Ladder) and the walkthrough's of the originals look on point. Just not enough to bring me back. 

Hope everyone has a fun year! I'll probably pop back up next year. 

caio

Always nice to see you pop up here from time to time! Sorry that this year doesn't change your mind on the event but hey, I get where you come from. See you next time

21 hours ago, Gambit said:

Seems like the AOV stage has been completely removed now. Apparently it was damaged pretty bad in the storm and has to be replaced. No word on if a new one is coming or if the temporary stage is now the permanent stage.

Pretty disappointed that it took Universal that long to figure out the stage was damaged beyond basic onsite repair. AoV was a major hit last year. Heck, some people on twitter have even said the short 10 minute show this year is a highlight of the event. During last year's hurricane, they worked during the day to take down and put back up the stage. I don't think any work has been done during the day on the stage since Irma hit, which is just sad and they decided on Wednesday to finally repair it. No way the show is happening this week. Hopefully next weekend. 

Updates from IU from 9/21...wine is now being sold at carts and they were starting to reconstruct the AoV stage earlier today.

EDIT:  Tagging on this mostly non-event related blurb...because people have been speculating about the Amityville snow globe at Krampus last year:

Following years on the shelf and multiple delays, The Weinstein Company and Blumhouse are finally set to release “Amityville: The Awakening” in about the only way possible – for free.

The horror film will be available for free exclusively on Google Play from October 12th to November 8th.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/amityville-being-released-free-on-google-play/

Edited by Oysterhead00
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Oysterhead00 said:

Updates from IU from 9/21...wine is now being sold at carts and they were starting to reconstruct the AoV stage earlier today.

EDIT:  Tagging on this mostly non-event related blurb...because people have been speculating about the Amityville snow globe at Krampus last year:

Following years on the shelf and multiple delays, The Weinstein Company and Blumhouse are finally set to release “Amityville: The Awakening” in about the only way possible – for free.

The horror film will be available for free exclusively on Google Play from October 12th to November 8th.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/amityville-being-released-free-on-google-play/

Amityville was a nod to the Conjuring since the beginning of 2 is in the Amityville house. Would love a house based on it but I think Conjuring's the only way we'll get it 

41 minutes ago, mz_ said:

Posted this in the AoV thread, but ICYMI this was posted yesterday, however I see no mention of it or pictures from last night!

Seems like its just a bigger "temp" stage, not the main stage we all know.  Sucks!

I saw this posted other places last night as well. It certainly seems small, but hopefully it's a new version that at least allows them to put on more of the "Afterlife" show that they originally intended. It does seem a little more "custom made" for a certain show.

2 hours ago, StupidStupidDan said:

I saw this posted other places last night as well. It certainly seems small, but hopefully it's a new version that at least allows them to put on more of the "Afterlife" show that they originally intended. It does seem a little more "custom made" for a certain show.

It's just so disappointing that the event has JUST started and it seems they already scrapped the show i'm sure they spent a lot of time working on. That set was fairly large with the big video wall which I'm sure the whole show's video had already been filmed and edited. I could see them doing a smaller show if Irma hit the last couple weeks of the event but we just started week 2!

AoV was a MAJOR hit last year and everybody seemed really excited to have them back. I'm sure they are going to do their best with this smaller stage, but I just wish Universal would have done more for them to get the correct stage set up.

4 minutes ago, Badge said:

It's just so disappointing that the event has JUST started and it seems they already scrapped the show i'm sure they spent a lot of time working on. That set was fairly large with the big video wall which I'm sure the whole show's video had already been filmed and edited. I could see them doing a smaller show if Irma hit the last couple weeks of the event but we just started week 2!

AoV was a MAJOR hit last year and everybody seemed really excited to have them back. I'm sure they are going to do their best with this smaller stage, but I just wish Universal would have done more for them to get the correct stage set up.

Done more?  ...like put giant fans by the stage to blow the hurricane away from it?  MacGyver'd a half ass fix?  The stage is not only complex, but it's highly customized.  If there was even a 1% chance that there was any kind of loss of structural integrity on it, they absolutely had to not allow anybody to perform on it.  And as for repairs and stuff, I don't think the local Home Depot stocks parts for the stage.  They surely had structural engineers come in to inspect it.  And when they decided to take it down, they probably had to have them inspect it further to ensure the safety of the crew doing the dismantling. 

Universal paid for the production and everything, they're not doing this out of some kind of laziness.  You need look no further than the Indiana (or was it Iowa...can't be 100% certain) State Fair tragedy to see what can happen.  The fact that they didn't COMPLETELY take down the stage before the hurricane surely means it was rated to withstand the strongest hurricane imaginable as there was a potential for 150+ mph wind gusts in Orlando.  With daily thunderstorms and freak occurrences like crazy down force winds (that just flattened trees in a big part of NY by me a few years ago) you can't half ass something like this or count on it having the promised structural integrity. 

• Like 5

Or, they could have just not set up any type of temporary stage for AoV....

They were never not going to put them on the main stage, but with the damage the stage incurred due to the winds (the gate by Horror Makeup is down) they did the best to get them a stage to perform on. As Oysterhead so eloquently put, this isn't something that they can just throw back up or go to Home Depot to get the parts to make the repairs.

Don't make excuses for Universal. They have the money & resources to pull another full size stage out of their ass. A company like them should NOT just have one main stage at their disposal. Especially not when they have multiple warehouses for storage. The point is, Universal could be making a lot more effort to get a new main stage erected instead of just setting up  a small mini stage.

I don't really care about the alcohol because I'm old and drinking makes me tired.  Ok, I'm not that old - and I will have drinks occasionally.. but not at HHN.  I"m one of those "I want to be fully aware and remember every single minute" people.  I'm not hating on those who want to cut loose thought.  Just don't get violent, don't throw up on me, don't roll over my f-ing foot with your wheelchair (yes this actually happened to my best friend), etc, etc.  

What I'm pissed about is I couldn't find the damn LOADED FRIES!!  What happened to them?!!! Why are there no actual food tents lined up in front of Fallon?  What is going on?  Pizza fries?? Seriously.. gross!   There was not a lot of edible food last weekend.  At least, not for me.    I still have a weakness for the giant pink donuts tho.

Let me give a quick summary of our opening weekend.. I don't want to do a full on review because I consider opening weekend to be a "tester" weekend.  

Anyone who doesn't go this year will regret it to their dying day because they will have missed Trick R Treat and Scarecrow.. two of the best things HHN has ever done.  

My wife and I literally started crying when we walked into the TRT scarezone.  We talked to one of the staff in there and asked about the pumpkins.  He told us, they took ALL of it down before the hurricane and had to put it all back up.  He also said not all of it was back in there yet.  I was blown away.  It was beautiful.  I can't wait to get back there and see it again.  Only one week to wait..

Scarecrow was outstanding in every way.  The facade with the corn was simply brilliant.  When we walked up to it, it gave me chills.   The house is full of good scares, and that great tight feel we all got from Tomb last year.  The sets are wicked as well.  It's one of the most perfect houses I've done in the 13 years I've been going.

Side Note:  As a complete Stephen King nerd since I was about 11, I have to say, I'm kinda bummed about The Shining.  It didn't do it for me.  Maybe it's me.  Maybe I expected too much.  I dunno.  I will try again, but for now, I will just be sad.  Oh, and Blumhouse sucks.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, hunnylvr said:

I don't really care about the alcohol because I'm old and drinking makes me tired.  Ok, I'm not that old - and I will have drinks occasionally.. but not at HHN.  I"m one of those "I want to be fully aware and remember every single minute" people.  I'm not hating on those who want to cut loose thought.  Just don't get violent, don't throw up on me, don't roll over my f-ing foot with your wheelchair (yes this actually happened to my best friend), etc, etc.  

What I'm pissed about is I couldn't find the damn LOADED FRIES!!  What happened to them?!!! Why are there no actual food tents lined up in front of Fallon?  What is going on?  Pizza fries?? Seriously.. gross!   There was not a lot of edible food last weekend.  At least, not for me.    I still have a weakness for the giant pink donuts tho.

Let me give a quick summary of our opening weekend.. I don't want to do a full on review because I consider opening weekend to be a "tester" weekend.  

Anyone who doesn't go this year will regret it to their dying day because they will have missed Trick R Treat and Scarecrow.. two of the best things HHN has ever done.  

My wife and I literally started crying when we walked into the TRT scarezone.  We talked to one of the staff in there and asked about the pumpkins.  He told us, they took ALL of it down before the hurricane and had to put it all back up.  He also said not all of it was back in there yet.  I was blown away.  It was beautiful.  I can't wait to get back there and see it again.  Only one week to wait..

Scarecrow was outstanding in every way.  The facade with the corn was simply brilliant.  When we walked up to it, it gave me chills.   The house is full of good scares, and that great tight feel we all got from Tomb last year.  The sets are wicked as well.  It's one of the most perfect houses I've done in the 13 years I've been going.

Side Note:  As a complete Stephen King nerd since I was about 11, I have to say, I'm kinda bummed about The Shining.  It didn't do it for me.  Maybe it's me.  Maybe I expected too much.  I dunno.  I will try again, but for now, I will just be sad.  Oh, and Blumhouse sucks.

I get pretty tanked at least one night a week at this event, but I'm still respectful to all of the actors and coordinators and make it a point to tell the ops personnel to have a good night on my way out of a house or through a scare zone. But, I'm also a grown ass man who was raised by good parents, lol. It sucks that the alcohol limiting also affects those of us who know how to control ourselves, I just need a little bit to help with my social anxiety in busy environments like this.

I haven't seen the loaded fries, but the pizza fries are goddamn fantastic I've heard. The doughnuts in Springfield are always great, but I need at least 2 other people to help me finish them. It's like a cake.

Agreed on TRT and Scarecrow. Those are the 2 biggest standouts for me this year. This last weekend though, everything seemed much better in general than opening weekend.

• Like 1

I'm sitting in my hotel room about to attend my second night of horror nights this year and wanted to give a quick review from my first night. First of all, I waited for about 4 hours for my hotel room to get ready yesterday after driving 8 hours so I was very tired and a little cranky heading into the park last night but I had a blast. We only completed 3 houses and all the scares zones but we left at like 9pm because we were so tired but I'm energized and ready to go tonight.

I did not drink yesterday but there was plenty of beer and wine at the event plus lots of drunk people so that portion seemed normal to me. This is the first year for me being sober during the event and HOLY COW I had the best night I've ever had at the event. The scares were awesome and although I might have a beer or two tonight, I will not be getting drunk because the amount of details I spotted and the scares and interactions I had with scareactors was amazing! 

The first house we did was Dead Waters and is my favorite so far! The scares in this house was crazy with people jumping out everywhere and that facade was beautiful! Anywho I'm about to head to the archways and get night two started! I hope to see some of you there! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WESKER69 said:

Don't make excuses for Universal. They have the money & resources to pull another full size stage out of their ass. A company like them should NOT just have one main stage at their disposal. Especially not when they have multiple warehouses for storage. The point is, Universal could be making a lot more effort to get a new main stage erected instead of just setting up  a small mini stage.

Because Florida companies that make scaffolding, temporary structures, other infrastructure, etc don't have more important things to do in Florida right now....

My brother in law worked for a company that did work like this.  He erected stages and stuff for bands like U2 in non-union areas.  He built temporary structures and also did stuff like change the aircraft warning lights on 500' radio towers.  Licensed climber, electrician, among other things I can't remember.  My sister made him quit when she got pregnant since it was so dangerous.  He saw a foreman have his leg crushed to point of having to have it amputated by a concrete jersey barrier anchoring a guy wire that came loose during a stage set up for a county fair.  I've been bored by a ton of stories at Thanksgiving Dinners.  It's not a trivial thing.  You need signature upon signature from inspections to erect and break down such a structure.  

WHY have a redundant stage when you have rated to withstand Cat 5 hurricanes?  Do they have a spare spinning Universal globe just in case?  Do they have a full spare track for The Hulk just in case?  Of course not...regardless of the storage they have.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WESKER69 said:

That's completely impossible. The stage was a custom design featuring multiple levels and entrances, a large video screen (with all the wiring that entails), a full lighting and pyro rig, and a covered backstage area; it's not just a box of scaffolding and plywood. Every part of it needs to be inspected and signed off to absolutely remove any chance of structural failure. Even if they were to 100% duplicate their original design, they would need to purchase all of the pieces to actually build it and ensure that everything was transported to the site in perfect order and still get it fully inspected before they let anyone dance on it.

There is not a single circumstance where this park could have snapped their fingers and completely redone weeks of work over a single weekend. The fact that they put up a temporary stage and allowed AoV to create a new 10 minute show within a few days and have already begun work on a new stage that should at least be able to perform an abbreviated form of Afterlife a week after opening is proof enough that they're dedicated to making sure the troupe stays busy and doesn't have to throw out all their hard work.

Edited by Cody
  • Like 1