HHN 27 Discussion

Mark M.

Skipped out on the event last night after a short time at Volcano Bay (the moratorium on TMs and comps was finally lifted!) but I heard it was fairly light on crowds. I'm wondering if certain tactics like having QS restaurants open to suck up crowds reduced the waits. I'll be very curious to see the attendance patterns over the next few weeks. 

Also, Pizza Fries are gross. Sue me. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Alice said:

Skipped out on the event last night after a short time at Volcano Bay (the moratorium on TMs and comps was finally lifted!) but I heard it was fairly light on crowds. I'm wondering if certain tactics like having QS restaurants open to suck up crowds reduced the waits. I'll be very curious to see the attendance patterns over the next few weeks. 

I saw a picture that AHS was down to 15mins at one point of the night. I don't think the wait was ever that low last year, even at opening.

• Like 1

I went all 3 nights so far. Opening night with the new scanner system for Express was so terrible and caused so many complaints that they had to switch back to the old tablets for the weekend. I don't drink so the alcohol situation didn't effect me, but I'm not happy that there are barely any food tents now, the only ones left are the snack ones like donuts and twisted taters. The 'HHN exclusive' food is just the same crap and a complete ripoff, not worth it. Plus you have to go to specific restaurants to get each individual thing, like Mel's for the onion ring burger, Louie's for the calzone etc.

The wall people are talking about blocking Blumhouse from the right side is temporary they don't leave it up all night, it's just to stop the area getting so cluttered. 

As as far as B&T and the houses.....

I didn't like the B&T show this year, if it wasn't for the skinny kid who was playing with himself in the Na'vi costume I probably wouldn't have laughed more than a couple times. It was nice seeing Jason come back as Ted for the last time, that needed to happen. I do like a lot of the previous shows, I just wasn't digging the set, the music selection, or half of the purposely terrible jokes which I usually enjoy.

I hope that they have a new show in future HHN's with some of the same actors, there are some very talented people.

The houses......

I will just round it up as a summary overall and not spoil much,  I am very impressed with the original houses this year, more than the IP's. Last year I was very disappointed that Hollywood went all out with the details inside the houses and we got 'slapdash with no love' versions (like The Exorcist). But this year, damn, there's some amazing stuff to look at and I can't wait to do the Unmasking tour. The detail in some of the houses is exactly what I wanted to see. But, of course they can't all be great, like 'Bumhouse', it's cramped in that dodgy tent so it's all very condensed I can't blame them for not being able to do a whole lot with that, plus the fact they had to change things twice before it came to be what it is now.

I'm surprised that people like the Saw or Ash houses a lot as they were my least favorite. But this is a good thing as it goes to show that the houses aren't all the same crap and appeal to a lot of different tastes.

Overall, definitely a solid job with the houses, but I'm not impressed with all the changes to the event.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerkytime said:

Overall, definitely a solid job with the houses, but I'm not impressed with all the changes to the event.

I agree with this. The changes suck; the food is much worse than past years and the alcohol situation is really unfortunate, but the houses are good.

I feel like this year is going to be that weird year were we have tons of hurricanes interfering with the event.
 I think this might help or hurt the event, depending on how you see it.
 Less crowds during the day before but the damage might affect the quality.  Look at this pass weekend of that dance show. 

At first, I dislike the shining house. I am slowly getting to really enjoy it. 
I don't like having to walk through the whole que line when it only 20 min wait. 

1 hour ago, N i c k said:

I agree with this. The changes suck; the food is much worse than past years and the alcohol situation is really unfortunate, but the houses are good.

Yep, the food is an absolute joke. I have enjoyed some of the things in the past but after seeing the sorry little pile of mess that was supposed to be pizza fries I couldn't help but laugh.

5 hours ago, Alice said:

Yesterday  Hive was like 10 minutes up to 8:30, at 9:30 it was like 30 the most.

None of the houses got past 45 min. Very easy going weekend.

Some people i know were surprised it started already, they thought it started next weekend. 

Other people are still dealing with no power and broken branches and stuff. Dealing with clean up. 

On 9/18/2017 at 2:39 PM, ThNdIzNiR said:

Do they still have twisted taters and turkey drumsticks? What exactly is the alcohol situation?

They definitely have twisted taters.  Not sure about the Drumsticks.  They have a pretty active beverage situation thread over on IU:  http://forums.insideuniversal.net/threads/hhn-drink-changes.12739/

The cliffnotes version is that that as the weekend went on, sounds like they've been easing up on the restrictions a bit but still no bloodbags/jello shots and NONE of the pop ups serve shots/made to order drinks.  Just beers, cider, and the 3 pre-mixed signature drinks.   UPDATE - Wine at carts as of 9/21.  Mixed drinks available at Finnegans (no hanging at the bar though, a server tells you which bartender to go to and you order your drinks and then leave through the front door) and the Alcatraz place...some confusion as to if they have liquor in Springfield.  Beverages are $12+tax each this year.  UPDATE - refills are between $8 - $9  Not a $0.30 discount like I erroneously reported.  Round blinky cups for beer, square ones for signature drinks.  No reports about carts with Fosters Oilcans and Heiny/Miller Lite Tallboys or any of that stuff. 

That's my interpretation of the discussions going around.  I don't go until next weekend...but hope the easing up the restrictions and the building up of scarezones (someone said stripper poles were added to Alters of Horror) continues until I go :) 

Halloween-Horror-Nights-2017-Signature-D

Liquid Fear – Vodka cocktail with cranberry juice and lemonade
Liquid Courage – Tangerine rum with orange juice and sprite
Midnight Madness – 50% Liquid Courage, 50% Liquid Fear, 100% Midnight Madness

source:  http://mickeyxtreme.net/blog/food-and-drinks-coming-to-halloween-horror-nights  

Edited by Oysterhead00
Wine Available as of 9/21
  • Like 1

Personally I hope that this change stays in place. The thing that truly scares me the most about going to HHN haven't been the houses/scarezones, but the drunks themselves. 

1 hour ago, Jediwhit82 said:

Since I can't/ don't care about alcohol, are the freestyle cups back this year?

I didn't see any but I have to admit I wasn't really looking, I did see a lot of people with the regular Freestyle cups though. 

49 minutes ago, Jediwhit82 said:

I just can't understand how people find consuming something that limits their ability to experience the event as something they need to do to go.

Limits your ability....or enhances it?  That's debatable.  Some would argue it limits your awareness of your surroundings and makes you more open to scares.  And while some of us might be raging alcoholics, for a lot of us it's a part of the trip as we have real lives as responsibilities at home that may or may not include jobs, kids, other dependents, etc. and this vacation is a time to cut lose and have some drinks.  Many of us stay in local hotels and take shuttles/cabs to the event when at home we all have to drive home from bars.  Etc, etc, etc.  It's our vacation to escape reality for a few nights and go into a world of horror which also allows us us to drink alcohol (to excess) in a way that doesn't have any adverse consequences for our jobs/families/public, etc.

Someone who has responsibilities 360 days throughout the year looking forward to 5 days of vacation where they get to have jello shots they purchase form a scantily clad young lady that they look forward to all year...that's a shame that they can't have that experience for some crazy reason. 

Now, 22 year old locals who drive to the event, get wasted, and throw potatoes at scareactors are just assholes and a completely different story.  And you know what?  They'll STILL get belligerently drunk.  Pregaming, sneaking in liquor, spending whatever they have to do get to that point through the alcohol available, etc.

And, as shocking as this may sound, there is such a thing as drinking in moderation where you have a few beers throughout the course of night where you walk 10 miles and metabolize it super fast...and getting so drunk that you get lost in houses, don't understand them, and puke in the bushes.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I always read about people complaining about how many drunks are at the event. I've been going since HHN 20 and I've never seen 1 drunken fight. I'm not even sure that I've seen anyone get sick (outside a restroom). There are a bunch a of rowdy/loud people all over, but who cares about that? These people are just having a good time and letting loose.

I don't get it... I've yet to come across any drunken people problems in all the time I've gone. 

• Like 3

My main concern is HHN Orlando being up to speed this weekend.  Full props, full stages, full costuming.  EVERYTHING.

We pay thousands to attend this event.  We deserve a 100% show.  Irma was a bitch, yes, but she's gone now...  Work hard to use these few off days to get things where they need to be.  Opening weekend felt like so many things were missing.  They can and need to remedy this.

If Uni isn't offering me a discount on tickets or tours, I expect the event to be a finished product when I get there.