HHN 27 Discussion

Mark M.

1 hour ago, N i c k said:

The changes that have been made really suck in my opinion. I understand queue routes need to change over time for various reasons, but the way they did it doesn't work well. Also not being able to get through by MiB seems unnecessary. Lastly, all of the alcohol related changes are really frustrating to me. 

48 minutes ago, ForeverEvil1 said:

There's a gate between Blumhouse and B&T. Meaning you can't really do a full loop anymore. It's dumb,

That gate sounds super annoying, I hope it's temporary?? Also can anybody elaborate on the alcohol situation? Seeing a lot of posts on various forums and FB UOAP page with complaints on it being somewhat limited

23 minutes ago, Midnight Detective said:

So they removed the angels from The Fallen and the rumor is that they opted to make the event "as dry as possible" and have made alcohol hard to access. Does anyone know what's going on and what's up with these changes?

I've only heard secondhand, but supposedly the removal of the angels was due to a last minute panic about offending Christian guests by showing violence against them.

I honestly don't mind drying out HHN. As much money as alcohol sales make, I've been to several other theme park Halloween events and many independent haunts (from small neighborhood houses to large "scare parks") and HHN Orlando has possibly the most violent crowd out of all of them, much of it alcohol-fueled.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Cody said:

I've only heard secondhand, but supposedly the removal of the angels was due to a last minute panic about offending Christian guests by showing violence against them.

I honestly don't mind drying out HHN. As much money as alcohol sales make, I've been to several other theme park Halloween events and many independent haunts (from small neighborhood houses to large "scare parks") and HHN Orlando has possibly the most violent crowd out of all of them, much of it alcohol-fueled.

if they were that afraid that Christians will be offended why not let the angels win

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Cody said:

I honestly don't mind to much either, and I know they had problems in the past with it, but the suddenness of it combined with the angels removal is alarming if not intresting

56 minutes ago, themazethinker said:

if they were that afraid that Christians will be offended why not let the angels win

I agree, I think there's got to be more to it than just "someone will be offended"

It seems to me a bit more like an overall reduction in violence - none of these are event ruining but off the top of my head I've read theres no victims in Scarecrows and I thought Invasion! would have the Aliens attacking/experimenting. Could be entirely off however, I won't be attending until next week.

And of course this could all Harry Potter but that seems like a potential stretch to me

3 minutes ago, Midnight Detective said:

I honestly don't mind to much either, and I know they had problems in the past with it, but the suddenness of it combined with the angels removal is alarming if not intresting

I agree, I think there's got to be more to it than just "someone will be offended"

It seems to me a bit more like an overall reduction in violence - none of these are event ruining but off the top of my head I've read theres no victims in Scarecrows and I thought Invasion! would have the Aliens attacking/experimenting. Could be entirely off however, I won't be attending until next week.

And of course this could all Harry Potter but that seems like a potential stretch to me

and in the saw maze it actually wasn't that gory suprisingly 

4 hours ago, Midnight Detective said:

So they removed the angels from The Fallen and the rumor is that they opted to make the event "as dry as possible" and have made alcohol hard to access. Does anyone know what's going on and what's up with these changes?

3 hours ago, Cody said:

i did the house and did not miss the angels to be honest. the house feels horrific with nothing but demons, I don't know. maybe they had some really cool fights planned or some variety
But I have to say, this house is super scary with nothing but demons and ghouls. the angels were just not missed (I know we never saw the original intended house, I understand) but looking at how the house is set up, it just didnt feel the need to add some winged good guys or something. 
It felt pretty perfect as it is. I also thought that the angels could win, but the way the house is set up and they way the rooms look, it wouldn't work to have the angels win. the house is very creepy and demonic looking. I dont know, we will never know how the angels would have worked out, but for me personally the house was perfect exactly how it is now 

6 minutes ago, clash said:

i did the house and did not miss the angels to be honest. the house feels horrific with nothing but demons, I don't know. maybe they had some really cool fights planned or some variety
But I have to say, this house is super scary with nothing but demons and ghouls. the angels were just not missed (I know we never saw the original intended house, I understand) but looking at how the house is set up, it just didnt feel the need to add some winged good guys or something. 
It felt pretty perfect as it is. I also thought that the angels could win, but the way the house is set up and they way the rooms look, it wouldn't work to have the angels win. the house is very creepy and demonic looking. I dont know, we will never know how the angels would have worked out, but for me personally the house was perfect exactly how it is now 

i like to imagine before the house started there was a big fight between angels and demons, sadly the demons won and have now took over a church to spite god now

• Like 2

that definitely works
the house basically felt like a HELLRAISER house for me, the closest we will get to hellraiser for now, so having angels might have ruined it for me. some of the demon designs and some of the rooms looked like they belonged in hellraiser. or something like that, the house also reminded me a little bit of the Silent Hill games, specially 3, and the creepy satanic otherworld creatures and sets from the game. 
so yeah, I cant say i missed the angels, this works as a semi silent hill for me. It is funny that some of these creatures and rooms looked much better than the Silent Hill house did 

6 hours ago, clash said:

3 hours ago, clash said:

that definitely works
the house basically felt like a HELLRAISER house for me, the closest we will get to hellraiser for now, so having angels might have ruined it for me. some of the demon designs and some of the rooms looked like they belonged in hellraiser. or something like that, the house also reminded me a little bit of the Silent Hill games, specially 3, and the creepy satanic otherworld creatures and sets from the game. 
so yeah, I cant say i missed the angels, this works as a semi silent hill for me. It is funny that some of these creatures and rooms looked much better than the Silent Hill house did 

Sounds awesome! Can't wait to do it

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cody said:

Maybe it is the alcohol, maybe it isn't.  But, here is the rub, IMHO.  They are still selling their "signature" drinks all over the park.  The only thing that has been restricted is access to adult mixed beverages.  All this so USF can sell the signature drinks which are seriously weak.  So, anytime you want a real drink you have to queue through Flannigan's.  

I don't believe it has anything to do with 'drying out HHN'.  It's an attempt to push people to buy the signature drinks,.  It also allows USF to better control the amount of alcohol in drinks by premixing the signature drinks.  So, its not like they have taken alcohol away, just made it more difficult to get a good drink.

Oh and one more thing.  All pop up bars still sell beer.  Only mixed drinks are more difficult to get.

Edited by Ueeediot
last three sentences

46 minutes ago, Ueeediot said:

Maybe it is the alcohol, maybe it isn't.  But, here is the rub, IMHO.  They are still selling their "signature" drinks all over the park.  The only thing that has been restricted is access to adult mixed beverages.  All this so USF can sell the signature drinks which are seriously weak.  So, anytime you want a real drink you have to queue through Flannigan's.  

I don't believe it has anything to do with 'drying out HHN'.  It's an attempt to push people to buy the signature drinks,.  It also allows USF to better control the amount of alcohol in drinks by premixing the signature drinks.  So, its not like they have taken alcohol away, just made it more difficult to get a good drink.

Oh and one more thing.  All pop up bars still sell beer.  Only mixed drinks are more difficult to get.

Lol I've been going for 4 years and I thought that was already the arrangement. My understanding was signature drinks and beer all around and Finnigans had mixed drinks so I'm not going to be seeing/feeling a difference then

12 hours ago, clash said:

that definitely works

Glad I noticed it too. Some of the scareactors looked exactly like Cenobites. Maybe we'll get a genuine Hellraiser house in the future, or it might end up in the category of IP's that heavily inspire originals(Saws N Steam and Bioshock, Skoolhouse and Trick R Treat, and others I can't think of right now)

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Midnight Detective said:

Lol I've been going for 4 years and I thought that was already the arrangement. My understanding was signature drinks and beer all around and Finnigans had mixed drinks so I'm not going to be seeing/feeling a difference then

They have raised the prices on beer from what I have been reading $12.00 +Tx for a 16oz beer. 

Thats one way  to cut sales.

8 minutes ago, themazethinker said:

since this years eh for the houses what would everyone change in the houses

I like the houses this year, but just one for each I guess:

AHS: Ummm....I can't think of what to change in particular. I think they did the best they could with this. Better finale?

Shining: Hmmm...better Room 237 Woman. 

Fallen: Have the Angels in there. 

Dead Waters: Longer length.

SAW: More non-Pigman scares.

AvED: Have Ash's house.

Scarecrow: Ummmm...this is good as is.

HIVE: Sets that stand out more.

Blumhouse: Longer Sinister and Purge sections, lessen Insidious to just be the C4 scenes.

• Like 1

i'll try mine

ahs ; good as it is

shining - include the death of dick halloran, make it a dummy which jack can put his axe through then scare you

fallen ; include a fight, the end will have god vs satan

dead waters ;  make the water in the facade a liquid

saw ; move it into the parade building , replace pigman with scare like a man with the venus fly trap, a man with a nailed baseball bat etc etc make the timers actually count and not just stay 0

ash vs evil dead ; move it into the shrek queue, make puppet ash the way they did the bear from krampus

scarecrow ; replace name with field of screams

hive ; include a half vampire half bat creature

blumhouse ; replace purge and insidious with get out and split

also add a facade for saw, maybe the abandoned mannequin factory or the Wilson steel plant

From the general consensus I have seen from here, YouTube and other online outlets it seems like the houses of HHN 27 are overall praised. However what excites me the most especially since I won't be to the event till late October is how everyone's lists of best to worst for the houses varies drastically. Only Blumhouse is regularly marking last place in most lists but have found even a few defenders of the house. But I think that actually overall is a great thing! Having such drastic opinions on the houses is great and I think means we have a strong line up. 

• Like 1

This year was INCREDIBLE! All houses but one which I'll get to later were the best houses I've seen! Not too much to say about scare zones unfortunately...

House Rankings

#1- Saw: The Games of Jigsaw- This was my most anticipated house of the year, and it does NOT disappoint! The scares were very good, guest-activated triggers everywhere, we saw Billy on his bike... only real complaints are 1) No real façade and 2) No John Kramer or Gordan Lawrence game over scare

#2- Scarecrow: The Reaping- Hands down the best original house they've ever done (Unless you include Jack's house from 2015 which was both OP and IP), the sets were very creepy, the detail is amazing, and the scares are perfect! Main Complaint: They said guys 6 feet and taller, and so far, the first half was guys 5"9 to 5"11 and second half is where all the big dudes were.

#3- Ash Vs. Evil Dead- This is the greatest comedy house of all time. The details will make you laugh like crazy, "HELLO PUSSIES!", and Ashy Slashy at the very end made me burst out laughing! The biggest complaint I've heard and 100% agree with is: None of the Ash scareactors look anything like him!

#4- The Shining- This house was freakin' awesome! From the very-well hidden scares, to the actors they got for Wendy and Jack Torrance looking exactly like them, to the very well done Blood Elevator and Here's Johnny! Only real complaint is the façade not being the Overlook Hotel itself

#5- Dead Waters- *Preps self up for all the hate Ima get for ranking this a bit lower* This house was incredible, don't get me wrong. Visually it's probably the best house they've ever done, only real problem is it's a very short house, Walking Dead and Body Collectors felt much longer, not too many scares, and while the Voodoo Queen does appear in it, she can be quite hard to spot.

#6- The Fallen- Once again, this is a very visually stunning house! Some really good scares in it, detail is amazing, has the same problem with Dead Waters with not many scares, and it seemed more like walking through a cathedral full of demons rather than being in the middle of a battle between angels and demons.

#7- American Horror Story- This house was very well done, pretty hidden scares, and an air-conditioned queue line! Biggest problems are definitely the lack of really iconic scenes, a lot more Asylum than Coven and Roanoke, and missing some characters. But other than that, still a pretty good house!

#8- Hive- This house would've been a lot better had they gotten more time to build it, but unfortunately there was the big problem with Conjuring and they had to pull it out for this. Story-wise, it's okay I guess... two biggest problems are 1) The façade is the worst façade of all time and 2) The scares being very repetitive.

#9- The Horrors of Blumhouse- Hands down one of the worst houses in HHN history. They said both Sinister films, all 3 Purge films, and all 3 Insidious' and a sneak peek of The Last Key, the Sinister part was pretty good since it was straight out of the film, The Purge was nothing but a room and a hallway, and after watching the 3 Insidious films and seeing the trailer for the new one, none of the Insidious section made any sense.

Scare Zones Rankings

#1- The Purge- Now I know what you're all saying: "Dude what you talking about? It's the exact same scare zone from 2014, man!!11!" Yes, I know, other than the woodchipper it's nothing but a carbon copy of the 2014 scare zone, but I didn't attend that year and can't say anything about it. So because of that, this scare zone for me was VERY good!

#2- Trick 'r Treat- After previously watching the film, this scare zone was FREAKIN' AWESOME! It directly follows the stories in the movie, the scareactors look exactly like the characters, and they were very interactive! All I'm gonna say for this scare zone is that I think it would've been better as a full house.

#3- Invasion!- After reading the plot of this scare zone, I already knew it was gonna be great, and it was! Now, just because it's at 3/5 doesn't mean it's a bad zone, it was still really good, I just found the first 2 to be better! M'kay?

#4- Altars of Horror- This scare zone didn't really intrigue me at first and it still doesn't. It's pretty much just a photo-op, well actually, no! It's NOTHING but a photo-op! The only reason this isn't #5 is that my boi Jigsaw was in here and me and him played our own little game!

#5- Festival of the Deadliest- Horrible scare zone. The scareactors are doing nothing but roaming around and growling at people, no real theme other than the soul collecting! 

Shows

Bill & Ted's Excellent Halloween Farewell Tour- 5/5

Academy of Villains: Afterlife- Haven't seen it yet, gonna wait for the full stage to be reset

Favorite Houses

HHN 25- Jack Presents 25 Years of Monsters & Mayhem

HHN 26- Halloween: Hell Comes To Haddonfield

HHN 27- Saw: The Games of Jigsaw

• Like 1