Academy of Villains: The Irma Show

Mark M.

So the "new" show is actually an extended version of their original short Irma show. It's now 14.5 minutes instead of 10 and includes two new sequences, presumably both taken from Afterlife.

While I'm disappointed in the lack of Afterlife, I like that AoV and Universal have taken it in good humor and even officially call it "The Irma Show" on the screens. It's still a quality show since AoV is a quality troupe, and it still attracts huge crowds for every show.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2017 at 1:44 AM, PleaseAndThankYou said:

Why is there always a Dancing show at HHN these days?

Who is this for?

I've taken A Number of people to HHN. Not a single one has seen the stupid Dancing show. 

Nobody cares :(

I've never personally gone but I've heard it's pretty good for people into choreography, personally I'm happy because it draws crowds away from the houses

On 10/26/2017 at 2:44 AM, PleaseAndThankYou said:

Why is there always a Dancing show at HHN these days?

Who is this for?

I've taken A Number of people to HHN. Not a single one has seen the stupid Dancing show. 

Nobody cares :(

last year's show made sense with the Theme of Chance. Last year the show took place in an Asylum and the mental patients escaped and they took over the asylum. the show was literally connected to Shadybrook and Chance, the dancing was part of their madness. they also had this amazing shadow performance and they had a story they were telling with videos and music. the show was a HUGE hit with audiences and it was funny and a lot of fun and charming and crazy. they were able to tell a full story with no talking, no words and just music and magic performances. 
This year Hurricane Irma destroyed their sets, Universal couldn't repair it so they had to do a mini show in that little set. the show they had planned had to do with the afterlife. We never got to see it. What you saw was Academy of Villains saving the day and coming up with a show that could be done fast and easily without needing the full stage. Universal is actually lucky to have them because anyone else would just have cancelled for the event. Academy of Villains was able to adapt and they were able to at least have a show that gets Full every night. Academy of villains has a really big fanbase and hardcore fans that see the show every week. 

Now ask yourself, what the hell does Bill and Ted making fun of Kim Kardashian and Disney have ANYTHING to do with HHN or halloween in general lol.... 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, clash said:

last year's show made sense with the Theme of Chance. Last year the show took place in an Asylum and the mental patients escaped and they took over the asylum. the show was literally connected to Shadybrook and Chance, the dancing was part of their madness. they also had this amazing shadow performance and they had a story they were telling with videos and music. the show was a HUGE hit with audiences and it was funny and a lot of fun and charming and crazy. they were able to tell a full story with no talking, no words and just music and magic performances. 
This year Hurricane Irma destroyed their sets, Universal couldn't repair it so they had to do a mini show in that little set. the show they had planned had to do with the afterlife. We never got to see it. What you saw was Academy of Villains saving the day and coming up with a show that could be done fast and easily without needing the full stage. Universal is actually lucky to have them because anyone else would just have cancelled for the event. Academy of Villains was able to adapt and they were able to at least have a show that gets Full every night. Academy of villains has a really big fanbase and hardcore fans that see the show every week. 

Now ask yourself, what the hell does Bill and Ted making fun of Kim Kardashian and Disney have ANYTHING to do with HHN or halloween in general lol.... 

We took the UTH tour today and when we got to Trick R Treat, she mentioned that there were 350 pumpkins (all hand-carved!!) in the trees in that sz and the hurricane didn't do barely anything to it, but that it essentially ruined the stage for this show. 

She said that between the hurricane and other changes, the size of the stage has changed 3 times. You hit it spot on with the adaptation thing . . . that's really, really impressive. Tour guide said that the show you see now is something like the 8th iteration :o 

I absolutely adore this troupe. Every time they come through the crowd for their intro, they're taking selfies and hugging people they recognize (Francis Tyrell, their dance director who you remember as the doctor from last year's show, held a dance class in Orlando recently). Victor Yellow, the contortionist, is using a portrait of him by Shelby Denham (who's made some awesome HHN art lately that you can find on her Instagram) as his profile picture on Instagram. A picture I took of their show on Monday has been liked by the official AOV Instagram page and received comments from two of the dancers, as they regularly go through social media looking for cool pics and videos people take of them.

The amount of love these guys have for their audience is astounding. They put together a coherent show despite having their original plans completely ruined by the hurricane when they could have just cancelled and went home, and they come out with the exact same energy and smiles every single night. And every single show has the same big crowd, often full of regular fans who clamor for front row spots.

I sincerely hope they remain part of HHN for many years to come. Universal found a gem last year.

Edited by Cody
  • Like 1

• Mark M. changed the title to Academy of Villains: The Irma Show