Academy of Villains: The Irma Show

Mark M.

Really enjoyed AoV last year, saw it multiple times.

I was skeptical at first not having an ICON show, but AoV really brought a breath of fresh air to HHN and was impressed how fast the crowds grew over the course of the event and the support they got.  Ready for more!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Academy of Villains is probably the first show at HHN to actually draw serious attention away from the houses. Everything I know about the dancers (from scareactors who shared break space with them) says that they're great people who are just happy to be here, and they deserve to be back more than anyone.

• Like 1

Academy of Villains lives!

A temporary stage and 10 minute show has been erected near their original stage. It's a mix of what appears to be old and new content created specifically for this space, including what may be at least one sequence from Afterlife. 

i refuse to see this show without a proper stage. I just refuse. I loved the first one last year and I dont want my first experience of this one being the little show they have. 
I hope they get it fixed up. it would be a great shame if they cant 

On 9/17/2017 at 1:01 AM, clash said:

i refuse to see this show without a proper stage. I just refuse. I loved the first one last year and I dont want my first experience of this one being the little show they have. 
I hope they get it fixed up. it would be a great shame if they cant 

The temporary show (if it's still up this coming weekend, which it hopefully won't) was a completely different show from the actual Afterlife. It's the final dance sequence from House of Fear, one or two sequences that appear to be from Afterlife, and a dance battle sequence that seems unrelated and uses audience plants. It has nothing to do with Afterlife apart from potentially recycling some content and one actor's makeup, so I would view it completely apart from that context.

Edited by Cody
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tman875 said:

I don't know specifically, but I don't know that they will be off the smaller stage by then. Sorry!

I guess I am just confused as to why it would take that long? I mean I am not all that informed on what it takes to make this stage but I would've thought but this coming weekend it would've been up and going....?

15 minutes ago, Rikku said:

I guess I am just confused as to why it would take that long? I mean I am not all that informed on what it takes to make this stage but I would've thought but this coming weekend it would've been up and going....?

Agreed. I believe that stage normally comes down and goes back up during Rock the Universe. So, it should be able to go right back up unless something got broken.

Maybe they didn't have enough practice on the stage with full effects to finalize the whole new show? Hence why there are pieces of last year's show and this years?

Just spit-balling. 

Hopefully that's the case, and we'll see them this weekend or next.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StupidStupidDan said:

Agreed. I believe that stage normally comes down and goes back up during Rock the Universe. So, it should be able to go right back up unless something got broken.

Maybe they didn't have enough practice on the stage with full effects to finalize the whole new show? Hence why there are pieces of last year's show and this years?

Just spit-balling. 

Hopefully that's the case, and we'll see them this weekend or next.

Exactly, like even if not this weekend but ready by next then that is fine and fair  but any longer then I will really be like "Hey what is going on?"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grime said:

Didn't go last year, so I haven't seen the show. I don't even know what it is. Dancing? Magic? Stunts? Anyway, I like keeping it a mystery, but hopefully they get the stage situation resolved.

You didnt see the show this year either because its completely new. They're not the Jabbawockeez where they say "all new", but instead just add narration to the previous year's show (like what happened in 2016)

And a simple search of "Academy of Villains" will tell you that they're a highly choreographed dance troupe from California. Its really not that difficult. I'd highly recommend pulling up the video of their show last year from HHN.

4 hours ago, WESKER69 said:

You didnt see the show this year either because its completely new. They're not the Jabbawockeez where they say "all new", but instead just add narration to the previous year's show (like what happened in 2016)

And a simple search of "Academy of Villains" will tell you that they're a highly choreographed dance troupe from California. Its really not that difficult. I'd highly recommend pulling up the video of their show last year from HHN.

I said I liked keeping it a mystery, which is why I didn't look it up. I wasn't asking people in inform me of what the show was. Just expressing that I'm more excited knowing that people sing high praises of the performance, and going in blind not knowing what to expect sounds fun as most of the event has remained relatively unchanged in the last decade.

• Like 1

It's looking like a new, much smaller stage is going up today where the old stage was. Sadly it's not looking like we are going to get the Afterlife show AoV wanted to give us. Kinda sad and disappointed that Universal didn't jump on repairing the real stage faster. 

15 hours ago, Grime said:

Didn't go last year, so I haven't seen the show. I don't even know what it is. Dancing? Magic? Stunts? Anyway, I like keeping it a mystery, but hopefully they get the stage situation resolved.

Dancing, magic, stunts, it has all 3 lol

Plus has AMAZING shadow theater ( really awesome shadow tricks) had drumming, Great video performances. 

Last year i did it every night. It was  so great it felt so awesome night after night. 

It was my all time favorite show ever done at hhn. 

Im pretty sad the stage is not up yet. 

• Like 1

• Mark M. changed the title to Academy of Villains: The Irma Show