Altars of Horror

mystiquephreeq

IMG_0270.JPG.7be996c32137d7321752214d2f16f680.JPG

"Near the front gate, on Avenue of the Stars, we have our Altars of Horror. For me, this zone is very exciting because we're bringing something to the streets for our horror fans that we have never done before. 

In this zone, we're taking some of the larger than life characters featured in this year's houses, and letting them have their own scare zone. A lot of work goes into bringing these iconic film characters to life in our houses. Now you'll have the opportunity to get an even better look at them." 

I'm shocked it's taken so many years into using IP's to have a zone like this. I'm guessing this was the perfect storm of IP holders agreeing?

To guess:

AHS: Piggy Man or The Angel Of Death

Shining: Jack

Ash V Evil Dead: Ash himself

Saw: Pigmask Jigsaw

Blumhosue: Bride In Black from Insidious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ForeverEvil1 said:

I'm shocked it's taken so many years into using IP's to have a zone like this. I'm guessing this was the perfect storm of IP holders agreeing?

So many years?... um... Die-In scarezones in 2009 & 2015... And lets not forget 2001's Nightmare Alley...

Also... this description is a complete joke too. "Something they've never done before?" Um... WRONG!!!! 2005... "Terra Guard Run". That was the entrance SZ for that year & it featured monsters from EVERY part of Terra Cruentus.

• Like 1

Just now, WESKER69 said:

So many years?... um... Die-In scarezones in 2009 & 2015... And lets not forget 2001's Nightmare Alley...

Also... this description is a complete joke too. "Something they've never done before?" Um... WRONG!!!! 2005... "Terra Guard Run". That was the entrance SZ for that year & it featured monsters from EVERY part of Terra Cruentus.

I meant more in taking the outsider IP's they had and putting them in a zone together. The Die-Ins (at least 2015) was mostly their already owned stuff (minus Freddy and Jason in 2015) 

I think that's what they mean by the description as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ForeverEvil1 said:

To guess:

AHS: Piggy Man or The Angel Of Death

Shining: Jack

Ash V Evil Dead: Ash himself

Saw: Pigmask Jigsaw

Blumhosue: Bride In Black from Insidious.

From what I hear, we're getting the Grady Twins to alternate with Jack.

• Like 2

I love these zones since I'm really into photography.  I could wander around in it for hours taking pictures of the different scareactors.  Agree with others that they aren't the scariest zones....unless you're really into photography and someone sets up right outside of your lens so when you take the camera away from your eye you get a hell of a scare!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So what characters did we see here during employee preview? And I guess let's keep tabs of who else we see here throughout the event.

Saw a video of the zone from Attractions Magazine on YouTube and the characters I saw were:

-Bride in Black (Insidious)

-Mr. Boogie (Sinister)

-Statue of Liberty Purger (Purge)

-Bloody Face (AHS: Asylum)

-The Butcher (AHS: Roanoke)

-The Twins (The Shining)

Didn't see anyone from Ash vs. Evil Dead or SAW. 

Just now, Rikku said:

So what characters did we see here during employee preview? And I guess let's keep tabs of who else we see here throughout the event.

Saw a video of the zone from Attractions Magazine on YouTube and the characters I saw were:

-Bride in Black (Insidious)

-Mr. Boogie (Sinister)

-Statue of Liberty Purger (Purge)

-Bloody Face (AHS: Asylum)

-The Butcher (AHS: Roanoke)

-The Twins (The Shining)

Didn't see anyone from Ash vs. Evil Dead or SAW. 

Pigface from Saw and the old lady demon from AvED were out there

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ringwraith said:

Pigface from Saw and the old lady demon from AvED were out there

4 minutes ago, ForeverEvil1 said:

I saw the Granny Deadite from Ash briefly on Twitter.

Heh while she was really a fun character I find her an odd choice as the representation for AvED, I hope that eventually Ash himself gets out there....but then again if this zone is all about the villians/monsters then I guess he doesn't fit but would be nice to see him.

5 minutes ago, Rikku said:

Heh while she was really a fun character I find her an odd choice as the representation for AvED, I hope that eventually Ash himself gets out there....but then again if this zone is all about the villians/monsters then I guess he doesn't fit but would be nice to see him.

I think the Ash's should definitely stay in the house where the lighting will help their look, because most of them don't look like Ash. Although I suppose it's better than the Jacks and Ash's at Hollywood who all have masks.

7 minutes ago, Ringwraith said:

I think the Ash's should definitely stay in the house where the lighting will help their look, because most of them don't look like Ash. Although I suppose it's better than the Jacks and Ash's at Hollywood who all have masks.

True and fair just would've been cool to be able to interact with Ash but yea I can see why that wouldn't work overall.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Yeah this is my second post, but I'm as hardcore as HHN fans get, and I've been lurking on this forum from.... Well, when it wasn't this forum :) 

This is the worst scarezone I've ever seen. The community seems to all agree that the website is meh this year, but the rollout was TERRIBLE. Wifey and I go with another couple, and we refused to buy tix until we knew exactly what was going to be there. They didn't tell us. For a long time.

I think this SZ is the result of whatever legal nonsense probably tied that up. 

I mean, seriously, this is just "Here's stuff from other places in HHN" and it's FRONT AND CENTER? All the HHN Pro's I know (including a lot of scareactors) know to go right from the gate and start at 2:00 and move counterclockwise to beat the lines. But most of the GP will walk forward.

So it's like a preview of what they're going to see?

But last night I saw the Purge girl with the glowy mask there ....... And then again like 3 minutes later in the Purge scarezone. 

What is this!? 

Here's hoping that it'll improve over time. . . .  

• Like 1

Yeah, I kinda hate this zone. It's got a tiny number of actors (I want to say a dozen at best?) that quickly get swallowed up by the crowd. There's practically no set pieces and it quickly turns into a photo op.

It's an absolute waste of space.

• Like 1

It's barely a photo op. Quite a few actors going out of their way to not take pics.

AHS: Bloody Face, Papa Legba, The Butcher

Shining: Grady Twins

AvED: Granny Deadite, Possessed Kelly

SAW: Pigmask Jigsaw

Blumhouse: Bride In Black, Bughuul, Purge Leader, Lady Liberty Purger

Yeah, not a lot here.

• Like 1

They definitely messed up with this zone. What a mess. Those skull signs remind me of a local  state fair lol. 

The actors are doing a good job, really good job.

The actors might save the zone. Pig guy is going really well. Statue of liberty girl is super fast. 

They are NOT stopping for pics. 

Super hard to take a pic. I didnt try, but i notice people being disappointed when no one stopped lol

Edited by clash
  • Like 1

Odd observation here. For what is mostly a picture zone, and I got great pictures of most, especially Kelly and Pablo, the AHS characters seem to hate pics. I asked bloody face, and he shook his head, then later when I tried getting a picture in action from far away, he noticed me and turned away. I feel like this may be something from Ryan Murphy/FX, as some sort of mandate to limit AHS pictures.

Also, the jigsaw in the same cast as Papa Legba may be the best zone actor this year, he is going super hard and got me three times in one walk through, even though Zones almost never scare me.

• Mark M. changed the title to Altars of Horror