The Shining

Mark M.

For nonsense reasons I won't go into, this was the only #*(&#(%*& house we saw last night. 

I thought it was awesome. 

I've had long-standing theories in my head that they should do a Shining house, even though... well... It's not owned by Uni. I've been thinking for years about like...What they would do, how they would do it, etc. 

I thought they pulled it off awesomely. 

Wifey thought they did the tricycle-on-the-wall room "to save space" and otherwise didn't really represent the movie well. I disagree. We'll need to go through probably 300 more times or so :D  

With the release of IT (which I love that I know for sure I'm not the only person here who has been following and waiting for this movie since 09 - In fact, I'd probably be in the minority here if I wasn't), I've been reflecting on how awesome Stephen King is. The book, the miniseries, and the new movie all tell three different stories with the same characters, but they're different in tone, mood, style, prose, timeline, and just about everything else.

Not to mention that while watching IT, I was almost jaw-agape at how closely the locations matched what I pictured in my head. I finished (re-re-re-re-re)reading the book earlier last week, and realized that he just ... Describes those places so well. Yet his stories can be adapted - STRONGLY - in many ways. 

Which brings us back to The Shining. We Ridiculous Horror People here probably all know that King HHHHHHHHH----AAAATES Kubrick's movie. It's almost the opposite story as what's in the book, quite literally in some parts. 

And I feel like the house at HHN is just another expression of that.

Now, me, I immensely dislike mirror maze rooms with timed strobe lights that occasionally go off, because of exactly what happened last night - I walk into the #)*(&% walls. Like, all of them. For medical reasons, I don't do well with strobe lights and have to put my hands on wifey's shoulders in strobelight rooms and she audibly heard me curse when I walked into a wall. More than once. 

But isn't that kind of on point for the movie?

My only criticism is that I don't think Wendy should be in the house, because I think we are supposed to be the Wendy in the house.

Wifey doesn't agree. But that happens, right?

GIVE ME THE BAT, WIFEY!

11 minutes ago, PleaseAndThankYou said:

For nonsense reasons I won't go into, this was the only #*(&#(%*& house we saw last night. 

I thought it was awesome. 

I've had long-standing theories in my head that they should do a Shining house, even though... well... It's not owned by Uni. I've been thinking for years about like...What they would do, how they would do it, etc. 

I thought they pulled it off awesomely. 

Wifey thought they did the tricycle-on-the-wall room "to save space" and otherwise didn't really represent the movie well. I disagree. We'll need to go through probably 300 more times or so :D  

With the release of IT (which I love that I know for sure I'm not the only person here who has been following and waiting for this movie since 09 - In fact, I'd probably be in the minority here if I wasn't), I've been reflecting on how awesome Stephen King is. The book, the miniseries, and the new movie all tell three different stories with the same characters, but they're different in tone, mood, style, prose, timeline, and just about everything else.

Not to mention that while watching IT, I was almost jaw-agape at how closely the locations matched what I pictured in my head. I finished (re-re-re-re-re)reading the book earlier last week, and realized that he just ... Describes those places so well. Yet his stories can be adapted - STRONGLY - in many ways. 

Which brings us back to The Shining. We Ridiculous Horror People here probably all know that King HHHHHHHHH----AAAATES Kubrick's movie. It's almost the opposite story as what's in the book, quite literally in some parts. 

And I feel like the house at HHN is just another expression of that.

Now, me, I immensely dislike mirror maze rooms with timed strobe lights that occasionally go off, because of exactly what happened last night - I walk into the #)*(&% walls. Like, all of them. For medical reasons, I don't do well with strobe lights and have to put my hands on wifey's shoulders in strobelight rooms and she audibly heard me curse when I walked into a wall. More than once. 

But isn't that kind of on point for the movie?

My only criticism is that I don't think Wendy should be in the house, because I think we are supposed to be the Wendy in the house.

Wifey doesn't agree. But that happens, right?

GIVE ME THE BAT, WIFEY!

actually i think we're supposed to be danny in this house

9 minutes ago, themazethinker said:

actually i think we're supposed to be danny in this house

Arguable - Danny wasn't there for a lot of the stuff we saw. Including my favorite thing in the mirror maze and possibly the greatest thing I've ever seen. If you saw it you know what I'm talking about! :D  

But if Danny was in the house I would say the same thing about how it's off :) 

Incidentally, we're supposed to identify with Jack in the book. Speaks to what I was saying about different angles of the same story.

I didn't think this house was bad on its own. I do think they missed the grand scale of the film and its sets and has a crappy finale, but by itself it wasn't really unenjoyable.

And the terrible hairlines are nothing compared to Hollywood's use of rubber masks.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

After multiple runs now, this house just isn't doing it for me.  Probably because The Shining is my all time fave horror movie.  I didn't have high hopes going in.  But one aspect of the movie is the music and soundtrack.  I feel they barely used it.  Maybe there are some licensing issues for that.  The opening intro which plays in the start of the maze entrance isn't the same as the movie's.  If you listen to it closely, it's slightly off.  It has a sound to it where they had to change a few notes to get around the copyright.  Most probably wouldn't notice.  And I feel like more of the movie's high pitched sounds during tense moments were skipped entirely.  The 237 old lady laughing was the only sound that was right out of the movie.  At least to me, anyway.  The Gold Room is phenomenal and I do love that entire scene.  I still have fun going through this house but it's not resonating like I thought it might.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I saw James Franco playing Jack on bloody-disgusting.com (because I'm the type of guy likes to know who's buying his drinks I have a pinned BD tab I refresh all day next to the "other" news).

That was completely ludicrous. 

BUT! It has made my HHN Experience better. Now I just think that all the people jumping out of whatever boo holes or whatnot are like... If not Franco, some other ridiculous human being who is clearly an alien life form of the same variety.

That scarecrow? That was Neil DeGrasse Tyson. 

That vampire? That was Albert Brooks. 

Etc., on and on, and if HHN sucked, just doing that would sharpen my brain. Just think that all the scareactors that you see jump out - regardless if whether you saw them coming from a mile away or if they come out of Outer Space - are someone famous but not A-List (can we agree James Franco is A-List? If you don't, replace that with your own ranking and reconsider your priorities) actors, just moonlighting their moon faces for no  reason.

I mean... He .. Like, didn't make it known? And he also got makeup before putting ... on .. a.... mask?

MAN The Shining is crazy. 

• 2 years later...
  • Mark M. changed the title to The Shining