The Shining

Mark M.

I really do hope they take an artistic approach to the maze like they did with the Exorcist! That is a great way to expand on a film like the Shining. Especially on the Psychological side. All I gotta say as well is they better have the Hedge maze at the end.

• Like 2

I'd have to imagine Jack will be face actors in this house. One could argue it's Nicholson's most iconic role.  How do you have a Shining house without an axe wielding Jack screaming "HERE'S JOHNNY!"? Leaving Jack out would be the equivalent of leaving a chainsaw weilding Leatherface out of a TCM house.

I get the argument of not using the characters' likeliness a la TWD.  However, this house is solely based on one film that was made in 1980. Not a current pop culture juggernaut with an ever evolving storyline.  I'd imagine Universal wouldn't be doing the house if they didn't get the rights to include the actors.  After all, they did depict Jamie Lee Curtis in Halloween, and she's gone on to do far more iconic work. 

• Like 1

I can see both sides of this argument working but I'm leaning more towards the Torrances being in the house and here's why.

Firstly, how can you have a Shining house without any of the 3 main characters? It's not like Walking Dead where you can get away with just zombies, or ghosts in this case, because while the Shining is a classic film I don't think a lot of the younger generation has seen the movie. The only things I think they'll recognize are the Grady Twins and the "Here's Johnny" scene. 

Secondly, the official YouTube videos for both parks clearly mention them in the descriptions.

Orlando: "Face the tormented Grady Twins. Experience Danny Torrance’s blood soaked premonitions. And it’s “all work and no play” as an axe-wielding Jack Torrance pursues you through a snow covered hedge maze. This legendary masterpiece is now the most terrifying haunted experience imaginable. This is “The Shining”.

Hollywood: "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. This fall, for the first time ever, The Shining is coming to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort"

And finally, Jack Torrance makes 2 appearances in the announcement trailer. If there was such an issue with character licensing, no matter how recent, I doubt Universal would have just released it with the Torrances still in the video AND the descriptions for BOTH parks. Is it possibly, yes. Is it likely, no.

ts.png

• Like 3

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:12 PM, ScottEdmondson41 said:

this band released this song all about The Shining. Very cool video. I'd love to hear this in the queue lol. 

I wish this could play at the queue line or part of it.
 I don't know if you recall the event music for the first week of 2016. They had tons of legit music, killswitch engage and black keys and  Good bye Horses song from silence of the lambs. 
 After few dozen complaints they had to redo the music.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to put an end to the whole no Torrances in the house argument here's what HHN Hollywood had to say when asked what  character we would see the most in their house. 

"Jack Torrance since he's the main antagonist but lots of other characters too"

And while that goes for Hollywood it stands to reason that there wouldn't be an issue here in Orlando either.  

• Like 1

On 6/15/2017 at 11:49 PM, Gambit said:

Just to put an end to the whole no Torrances in the house argument here's what HHN Hollywood had to say when asked what  character we would see the most in their house. 

"Jack Torrance since he's the main antagonist but lots of other characters too"

And while that goes for Hollywood it stands to reason that there wouldn't be an issue here in Orlando either.  

It was posted elsewhere that projection / digital effects are expected in the house.  I'd expect something like the axe door being hit/shaken by a scareactor with a screen of Jack's face through the hole chopped in it.  Wondering if we might get a room that has a fake/perspective looooong hall with digitally projected twins.  They claim the elevator scene is in the house too.  I think the fire effects in the Halloween house were a trial run and we should expect stuff like that ratcheted up to 11 for this house.

Having this kind of eye candy in one area of a room with the whole conga line checking it out would lead to some awesome scares from "behind".

After watching the film, I have to wonder what the ending will be.

The best possible ending IMO is the frozen hedge maze. Have a few Jacks chasing you around, until you reach frozen Jack - he still manages to lunge out at you one last time.

However, the movie ends with the psychological twist of the July 4th, 1921 photo. The scene is iconic and takes the story to a whole new level.  Can't imagine creative wanting to leave it out. 

Edited by Tich0las