HHN 27 Speculation

hhnfan95

Not the first time something has been pre-announced by a travel agent, store display, employee newsletter, magazine, etc, etc, etc.

Sounds 100% legit to me and adds a TON of legitimacy to the other leaked info since year after year it's been "King will NEVER sign off on a haunt" and for it to come through, that tells you they were sure in their list before publishing it knowing the ridicule they'd get for claiming a fanboy wetdream was coming (ummmm, bad choice of words). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oysterhead00 said:

Not the first time something has been pre-announced by a travel agent, store display, employee newsletter, magazine, etc, etc, etc.

Sounds 100% legit to me and adds a TON of legitimacy to the other leaked info since year after year it's been "King will NEVER sign off on a haunt" and for it to come through, that tells you they were sure in their list before publishing it knowing the ridicule they'd get for claiming a fanboy wetdream was coming (ummmm, bad choice of words). 

I'm not sure King signed off on the haunt. His name is very obviously missing from that blurb. It wasn't Stephen King's The Shining, it was Stanley Kubrick's The Shining. King is also not listed in the copyrights. Which begs the question, "Did someone really screw up by leaking this?"

You see, King still owns rights to The Shining. The Minnesota Opera had to get his permission to do an Opera Version of The Shining. (That's the MN connection btw). The issue will be how a haunt is treated rights wise. Is it theatrical rights? Film rights? What will be at issue? 

Uni may not be able to reference King at all. King (if he was not consulted) may have an ability to prevent the house. They may be unable to connect his name to the event. It's an interesting puzzle.

• Like 4

Does King have any rights to the Warner Bros. version of The Shining? He famously hates it, enough to go and make his own version. I'd heard that he actually signed away his rights to the Warner version of it. I don't know how true that is, but it would explain the lack of his name in the leak. Either way, psyched to see it if it is there. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Heartbreak Skid said:

Does King have any rights to the Warner Bros. version of The Shining? He famously hates it, enough to go and make his own version. I'd heard that he actually signed away his rights to the Warner version of it. I don't know how true that is, but it would explain the lack of his name in the leak. Either way, psyched to see it if it is there. 

That's the loophole. But it will have to be a balancing act. They will have to interpret the movie, not the book. They may have to completely divest the maze from its true source material. It will be a fine line. 

I'm not happy with the idea that King will be separated from a result of his creation. It will also be difficult to market. 

Which is more widely known? Stanley Kubrick's The Shining or Stephen King's The Shining. 

I don't mean mean which visuals or interpretation, I mean the actual words. Just the name/title. While Kubrick's version is better known, is his name better known in connection to The Shining?

Speaking of marketing, if anyone from Uni is reading this:

That blurb needs some serious work. This is "The Shining". Really? It's redundant and cheesy.  I have never fully watched 300 and my brain went to "This is Sparta!" Scariest moments could use a thesaurus adjustment as well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mystiquephreeq said:

That blurb needs some serious work. This is "The Shining". Really? It's redundant and cheesy.  I have never fully watched 300 and my brain went to "This is Sparta!" Scariest moments could use a thesaurus adjustment as well. 

100% agreed. When I read it yesterday, that's the part that gave me pause thinking it might be a fake leak.

It's wayyy too hacky stage magician for my tastes, and doesn't go along with their normal copy style. 

• Like 2

I don't think they'll ever do a house based solely off of a book. As amazing as that would be, you have to remember they're trying to appeal to the masses. True horror fans may be stoked to see King's name attached to it, but the new clientele that they're trying to pull in (the people who treat it as one big party) aren't going to be attracted to a book based haunt. If the Shining does come (which is looks like there's a great chance that it is), it will never be King's version. But please correct me if I'm wrong with the book haunt idea. I'm simply looking at it from a marketing and events standpoint. 

Edited by QueenoftheBunnies
Adding last thought.
  • Like 1

A house based on a book at HHN? No way. not in this day and age. Kids are playing video games and staring at their phones now. Rarely reading. The Shining would work bc they made a HUGE movie about it. But a house based strictly on a book would be a bad idea.

4 minutes ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

A house based on a book at HHN? No way. not in this day and age. Kids are playing video games and staring at their phones now. Rarely reading. The Shining would work bc they made a HUGE movie about it. But a house based strictly on a book would be a bad idea.

Can't tell if you're mocking or agreeing. Like I said, if I was incorrect about HHN having book based haunts, please correct me. But as far as the Shining goes, if it's going to be made it's going to be Kubrick's version, as much as that sucks. 

• Like 1

Quote the Raven, "Nevermore". Yep, a well known literary figure would never work with today's youth. Except, Poe disproves that. So does Rowling. 

It has already seen an upstick in sales. A new audience is rushing to the novel due to the trailer. Do not discount today's youth.

But...

That goes back to my point. Brand recognition. Not just today's youth, but how many people associate Kubrick before King to The Shining. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, QueenoftheBunnies said:

Can't tell if you're mocking or agreeing. Like I said, if I was incorrect about HHN having book based haunts, please correct me. But as far as the Shining goes, if it's going to be made it's going to be Kubrick's version, as much as that sucks. 

Im 100% agreeing with you. The Shining would work. I think most of us horror nerds agree the book is better. I will say I do still love the movie.

What Im saying is that if HHN ever attempted a house based on a book with no accompanying movie it would be a bad idea. IMO bc kids (who are buying most of the tickets) dont read as much as previous generations. Then again Uni is a movie company so it prob wouldnt ever happen. The Poe house was awesome but my guess is 99.9% of the kids walking thru it had no idea what any of it was. It was basically an original house to them. I loved that house but does anyone remember how well received it was?

Edited by PeoriaBJJ
  • Like 1

Well the good news for us on this book vs movie thing is that so many of King's books ARE movies.  They aren't necessarily GOOD movies, but they are movies.  I am so curious to see how this will play out.  Did King cave because he's about to have a SPECTACULAR year with so much of his stuff hitting in 2017 - It remake, The Mist remake, The Dark Tower (trailer come out today), Gerald's Game, and I'm sure I'm missing something.   You must know that he is very aware of HHN.  He's a horror fan (obviously), so it's not like he doesn't know about it.  Plus, they've been trying to get him for YEARS.  Maybe he is realizing (fingers crossed) that it would be an awesome marketing vehicle.  Maybe he is considering this very discussion - how too many kids do not read - so the way to maybe get them interested is with a movie or a tv show - further amplified at an event like HHN.  

I'm still giddy with the idea that The Shining is actually coming to HHN.  I wish they'd f*cking announce it already.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, QueenoftheBunnies said:

There has been one official literary based haunt. Although, an argument can be made for many original haunts being inspired by book material. (I'm looking at you, Run and The Hallow). Of course, two of the most reoccurring figures/houses come from iconic literature. Dracula and Frankenstein's monster were first and foremost novels. 

Do not take my post as mocking you. I was picking on PeoriaBJJ. Poe was only six years ago, us "vets" tend to decry today's youth without pausing to think of recent history. The impact of HP should be enough to remind us that literary works can work. While an attached movie is helpful, it is not a necessity, and book only pieces of a world can find a home in the parks. 

Which is takes me to another of my points. Nothing is confirmed until it is announced. How soon we forget Scream. 

Never take a leak as confirmation. Things can and do change. We have other examples besides Scream, Eddie, Cindy, and the Terra Queen. Nothing is set in stone until the event opens.  

Hunnylvr, Castle Rock, Sleeping Beauties, and Gwendy's Button Box.

The hits keep coming. There is a plethora of new King materials being announced.

Now, I need to walk the beam, and see that trailer. Every tidbit and playful tweet has made me truly excited to see the Tower.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mystiquephreeq said:

Do not take my post as mocking you. I was picking on PeoriaBJJ. Poe was only six years ago, us "vets" tend to decry today's youth without pausing to think of recent history.

LEAVE ME ALOOOOONE! LOL.... and I fully decry todays youth... after the trip to the local Zoo yesterday I feel we are doomed. Ever heard a 9 year old hoodrat cuss out a Rhino? Ugh...

But you are right... nothing is confirmed until its confirmed. Would love to see the Shining come to Orlando!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

LEAVE ME ALOOOOONE! LOL.... and I fully decry todays youth... after the trip to the local Zoo yesterday I feel we are doomed. Ever heard a 9 year old hoodrat cuss out a Rhino? Ugh...

But you are right... nothing is confirmed until its confirmed. Would love to see the Shining come to Orlando!

I attempt to stop myself from grumbling "get off my lawn!" daily! Lol

While I haven't seen a youth cuss out a rhino, I did get to experience a moment of fully realizing my age at work. 

Coworker:  Put the lotion in the basket (she collecting abandoned items from me)

Me: It puts the lotion on its skin

Coworker: O_o

Me: You've never seen Silence of the Lambs?

Coworker: That's an old movie. It was made before I was born. 

Me: O_o

The Dark Tower trailer has dropped. Interestingly, The Overlook is briefly seen in the trailer. Not The Stanley Hotel (original inspiration for The Overlook and the one used in the 97 miniseries), but the Timberline Lodge (Kubrick's Overlook) 

Take that as you will. 

• Like 3

If King is really on board, wouldn't it make perfect since to have an "It" house too? With the movie dropping a week before opening it, I think this would be the first time in event history were the movie and house are open side by side for the duration of HHN. Dracula Untold opened after HHN started so that one doesn't count and most of the other houses we get are a year later once the movie is on DVD. 

You know King has to closely follow the event. Maybe after all these years, he is seeing how the event just keeps growing and growing and very difficult to translate IP's are being turned into amazing houses. Maybe he finally has enough trust in Universal Art and Design that they will do his properties justice so he agreed to finally come on board. Plus, this might get the younger crowd interested in his books which would be a win for him.

I just can't see them even attempting to risk an IP without getting the TRUE IP holder on board anymore. After all the issues with Bloody Mary and then Scream, I can't see them wanting to go behind King's back. They WANT to work with him so bad. Going behind his back and saying "oh, its based on the movie, not the book" would be so insulting King would never listen to a word Universal had to say to him again. 

• Gambit pinned this topic
  • Mark M. locked and unpinned this topic