HHN 27 Speculation

hhnfan95

4 hours ago, duh1011 said:

I know of one in Tampa that looks pretty interesting called Scream-A-Geddon. Pretty lame name, could be a lame event, but it has potential! I am probably going there later in the haunt season, and might post a review of it.

I LOVE Scream-a-geddon.  Scared the SHIT out of me!  I definitely recommend!

• Thanks 1

On 8/28/2017 at 9:40 AM, mikekilpatrick said:

To respond to the first part of this thread, I have often read people will go to the event, stand in line for a couple hours, hit one or two houses, then come back the next night or next week to hit other houses.  Basically stretch out the event over 4-6 weeks.  Good social activities and Universal I am sure loves the revenue from drinks, food, parking, etc. 

you never answered my questions but i will reply to this either way, 

For anyone that hates on the locals having month passes, Last year was the perfect example on how that doesn't affect the event as much as people think in two ways:

The hurricane hitting Orlando meant that the friday of that week, only locals were able to go (when Universal announced they would be Opening HHN that weekend) and those days were extremely empty. they had very very low attendance. (AND YES the people that went were mostly locals)

And then you had the Added Nov 4 and 5, Which again, was mostly visited by locals with their month passes, and what happened? the park was near empty those two days. every house had lines of 10-20 minutes at most. Later in the night, houses never reached above 30 minutes. If the locals were sooo bad, you would think that weekend in November would have been packed, yet it was barely busy. 

Edited by clash
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, hunnylvr said:

Actually, no they don't.  But nice attempt at another slam.

I was a scareactor at the Hollywood park from 2011-2013 and I had only been exposed to HHN in Orlando previously to that. I'd have to say the ONLY houses that would even come close to comparing to Orlando were ones done in the soundstages and even those would be on par with the tent houses we have here, in terms of quality. Their event, by in large, is also a little trashier and has a more "grungy," "sexy" feel to it. That's for some people and not for others. The conclusion I've come to as far as that's concerned, is not only the location (Hollywood vs Orlando) but the heads of the events are very different people. Aiello is a huge horror nerd who is also a family man. Murdy is more of the rockstar mentality and really fits in well with the "glamour" of the area that surrounds him, because he's a former actor and has worked in the production world of Los Angeles. Their fingerprints are definitely seen on their respective events and if you know the two, you can see the stark contrast.

17 hours ago, ScottEdmondson41 said:

Feel like it kinda has to be this week with how close we are to the event lol. 

A little insider birdie told me that we were going to get an announcement on Sept 15th! Stay tuned!

15 hours ago, hunnylvr said:

You're basing your "opinion" admittedly on watching videos.  I've been to several years of Hollywood's HHN while still going to Orlando the same years.  Orlando is ALWAYS better.  From someone who is constantly bemoaning the loss of originals, it amazes me you'd even think Hollywood would be better since they have NONE.

HEY NOW! Hollywood has La Llorna!! ....sometimes.....maybe. :lol:

Edited by Ringwraith
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ringwraith said:

Aiello is a huge horror nerd who is also a family man. Murdy is more of the rockstar mentality and really fits in well with the "glamour" of the area that surrounds him, because he's a former actor and has worked in the production world of Los Angeles.

Funny enough, I much prefer the attitude and style of Orlando's attraction. And I think they have so much damn potential but are handicapped by Corporate. Let Aiello's imagination and passion go crazy!

• Like 9

49 minutes ago, criticalanalysis said:

Funny enough, I much prefer the attitude and style of Orlando's attraction. And I think they have so much damn potential but are handicapped by Corporate. Let Aiello's imagination and passion go crazy!

I would argue they're handicapped by the general public. Comcast is ponying up the dough, but they're investing in acquisitions and not in-house. I suppose it's a sound business practice, but we're not really extracting the best out of Universal's creative minds. The Forsaken, as an example, was a BRILLIANT concept that really didn't take much to put together. However, it's believable and although it's "based on history," it's original in its own right. There are so many moments in time that could be altered to include "what if" horror elements, but the GP doesn't want to see it. Marketing is targeting those folks, especially with the selfie Soul Collector wallpaper.

Sorry, I'm about to go on an old man sounding rant for a second. The front facing camera is one of the worst technological inventions that could have happened to us. The human need for instant gratification and having a constant ability to see themselves in a "mirror" has not had a positive impact. Let me say, I'm 100% guilty of using the feature to send goofy lip syncing videos to my fiancee, but that's about it and it's maybe once a month. EVERY day, people are held up because some idiot is in traffic, or walking in a walkway or WITH THEIR INFANT, taking a picture of themselves, or on some sort of social media. This has greatly accelerated how self-involved people have become in general. They'll bump into you or completely ignore their surroundings to get where THEY want to go. Humans, inherently, have always been somewhat self-involved. All of us. But the technology that's been recently developed has only encouraged it.

To put a positive spin on the technology front, there have been many developments that offer GROUP :o participation where teamwork and socializing with those around you :o is necessary. Interactive games, VR houses,  Legendary Truth etc. really enhance the experience at Horror Nights and are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to expanding the event to guests. Let's do more of THAT.

In conclusion :huh:, marketing is only feeding off of what's popular, "hip" and "cool." Quite possibly, it may be ok to take a risk and be the one who starts the trend(whatever that may be) instead of following(no pun intended). The websites in from 16-20 were unbelievably interactive, fun and a great way to promote the event. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but it can't be THAT much more expensive to invest in those sites again. I'd actually be very interested to know the traffic numbers back then in comparison to the current numbers for the recent sites they've posted.. The fact the "soul collectors" number is only around 41,000 since they started the site, doesn't tell me people are entirely buying into this idea. I would have thought they'd be in the 100,000 range to be considered successful, but what do I know.

Edited by Ringwraith
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ringwraith said:

There are so many moments in time that could be altered to include "what if" horror elements, but the GP doesn't want to see it

Generally I am with you, but I was lost starting here on out. I could see your argument if it were specific to scare zones, eg, "Front-facing cameras are hugely popular for social media, thus are Marketing's gift, let's have more photo op zones and less scares to make sure we capture this." I never thought of this but that's a great argument. But house related, how does that technology pertain to why we see less creative houses?

If you go in the construction thread, apparently the rumored blumhouse in the MIB tent, now has a book painted on one side of the facade and some bricks on the other?

No photos yet, but hopefully one surfaces, any thoughts on what the images mean? Maybe we were wrong?

29 minutes ago, criticalanalysis said:

Generally I am with you, but I was lost starting here on out. I could see your argument if it were specific to scare zones, eg, "Front-facing cameras are hugely popular for social media, thus are Marketing's gift, let's have more photo op zones and less scares to make sure we capture this." I never thought of this but that's a great argument. But house related, how does that technology pertain to why we see less creative houses?

Sorry I wasn't able to tie everything together. What I meant is the overall "what's popular," sheep mentality, affects what we do at our event as well as how we market and what we market. The camera rant was a bit of a side bar, but it pertained to the mentality.

Edited by Ringwraith
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, StupidStupidDan said:

Book, chair, little creepy girl, cracks, bare light blulb. Those are what's featured in the Blumhouse opening title card.

You're right, I was thinking of the finished image of just Blumhouse on the walls with the lamp.

1 hour ago, Ringwraith said:

To put a positive spin on the technology front, there have been many developments that offer GROUP :o participation where teamwork and socializing with those around you :o is necessary. Interactive games, VR houses,  Legendary Truth etc. really enhance the experience at Horror Nights and are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to expanding the event to guests. Let's do more of THAT.

You know what's GREAT for GROUP participation?  An escape room.  Sorry.. couldn't pass up the opportunity to remind all of my HNN family that Dare 2 Escape is waiting for you HHN fans to come play.  I will recommend The Asylum or The Ringmaster for all you haunt fans.  We are giving discounts to Nightmares peeps.  http://www.dare2escape.com

Also, I agree with everything you said about the stupid front facing cameras.  Maybe I'm an old fart, but it annoys the hell out of me how narcissistic and self-absorbed people are getting because of it.

I agree on your theory of each coast having the fingerprints of Murdy or Aiello.  While I have no issues with a much more "adult" concept (I like it, actually), I believe overall, Orlando is just better at creating the entire experience.  Their detail seems sharper, their concepts more interesting, their passions align with the love of Halloween.  Hollywood is just so Hollywood.  As it should be, i guess.. but for a Halloween event, that's just not my thing.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, HHN_jsg277 said:

Can't believe it's only Sinister, Purge and Insidious.

Hopefully it's 70% Sinister since we at least haven't seen that as a house before.

Agreed. I'm pretty disappointed that it's not other stuff we haven't seen before. Sinister' great inclusion, but don't wanna see Purge or Insidious in there really. Would've loved Ouija 2, Happy Death Day, Hush, maybe even Get Out or Split. 

• Like 2

That middle pragraph seems to indicate more, but I get your point since those are the only named properties.

"The advantage to creating a house with multiple properties living inside its decaying walls is each scene is a completely different world"

Maybe we get a surprise???

Edited by WannabeIcon

• Mark M. locked and unpinned this topic