HHN 27 Speculation

hhnfan95

3 hours ago, CNYHHN315 said:

But they dont owe you any of that stuff, You are just spoiled by past HHN's that gave info early. I also travel from NY every year. What houses does not make my decision to go. I know UNI will deliver. Not alot of info but here you are speculating. Info no info, good houses bad houses you and everyone else are STILL going to attend

I agree that's there's no need for any marketing. But it does help build up excitement for the event. And sure, we don't NEED to know all the houses now, but little official tidbits of info now and again would help drive up engagement and excitement levels. At the moment it feels a bit flat, which is a shame. It feels as though they've really missed a trick on the social media stuff. 

With a little more imagination and a little more effort the whole buildup could have been pretty good. They may have some really cool stuff lined up once this countdown reaches zero. But at the moment it's all a bit abstract and a little messy/lazy in my opinion. 

Im hopeful it will start getting better, and I can't wait to go. I think I'll have a great time and will want to go again next year if I can. My point however is that opinion is purely based on word of mouth, not from the buildup to the event so far. 

First of all: Hi, long time lurker (since 2014 and my first HHN), first time poster, so please don't flame me too badly!

1 hour ago, QueenoftheBunnies said:

Ok here's my thing with the lack of info: yes we are "spoiled" now with how soon we get info, yes everything was fine back in the day when they would announce everything in one go, but Universal is dealing with a bigger beast now. The event isn't what it used to be in a world that isn't what it used to be. I'm sure the fans on here that have been going since the event was in it's teens can confirm that the crowds have gotten way bigger since it's early days. People are traveling from farther and farther away to go to this event and honestly Universal should have the courtesy to tell people what will be there at least 2 months before the event. The guys on the Scarezone Podcast (hi to Logan and/or Chris if they're on here!) described it perfectly: you wouldn't pay hundreds of dollars to go to a music festival if they didn't tell you who was performing. Announcing the mazes and scarezone gets people hyped up for the event. It gives them time to go and watch or rewatch the featured IPs which, again, gets them hyped up. Personally, I'm not buying tickets until I know the full lineup because, while there is still a high probability I would go regardless, based on the 3 IPs announced, I wouldn't be upset about not going this year. 

I'm really really hoping this year is just a fluke as far as marketing goes because I can't imagine this will fly in future years. 

I think this is actually a pretty inadequate analogy, it's not so much that we don't know who's playing, more that we don't know what they're playing - which is usually the case with gigs.

We know that it's the same guys that gave us a good HHN26 and a great HHN25 (purely imho ofc) so personally I'm giving them a little faith. That said, in an increasingly social media savvy age, where innovative marketing, viral engagement and massive competition abounds, Universal's efforts have been pretty lacklustre.

I guess what I'm trying to say at 0030 halfway through a 12 hour night shift (so please forgive my incoherency)  is that a poor marketing campaign doesn't necessarily equal a poor event.

• Like 5

I think this is the last time they use the marketing strategy they've been using this year. From what's been told from people who know insiders, and John Murdy, there's been a ton of stuff behind the scenes that's caused delays. For one, Ash vs Evil Dead was supposed to be announced like 3-4 weeks ago but it was delayed for God knows what. We know Conjuring was scrapped, so that was another issue. From what I've heard the IP holders have been a pain this year and it's caused lots of announcement delays; so I think next year may feature more originals vs IP's if the team chooses to not use most of the speculated HHN 28 IP's(It, Twin Peaks, Insidious, AHS, maybe Predator, and various others). If I had to guess they probably won't, but hopefully they do! HHN 21 only had one IP and I consider that one of the best years

7 hours ago, wow said:

HHN 21 only had one IP and I consider that one of the best years

Oddly, it was the last one I really enjoyed. *Shrug* OK I liked a lot of 22 as well... but the scourge that was TWD started then and the dynamic started changing. Not to mention they botched my favorite IP of all time (Silent Hill).

It doesn't matter, the song remains the same. It is the same today as it was in '08 as it was in '98 (with less internet). As soon as there were forums there were people bashing how they didn't like changes to the event. 

giphy.gif

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Skadforlife said:

First of all: Hi, long time lurker (since 2014 and my first HHN), first time poster, so please don't flame me too badly!

I think this is actually a pretty inadequate analogy, it's not so much that we don't know who's playing, more that we don't know what they're playing - which is usually the case with gigs.

We know that it's the same guys that gave us a good HHN26 and a great HHN25 (purely imho ofc) so personally I'm giving them a little faith. That said, in an increasingly social media savvy age, where innovative marketing, viral engagement and massive competition abounds, Universal's efforts have been pretty lacklustre.

I guess what I'm trying to say at 0030 halfway through a 12 hour night shift (so please forgive my incoherency)  is that a poor marketing campaign doesn't necessarily equal a poor event.

I think this is an interesting distinction I hadn't considered, but it fits in my opinion.

Less than a day left on the countdown. I'm thinking there are a few possibilities (listed from lame to awesome):

--Absolutely nothing, since we've established that Marketing likes trolling 

--Clarification/more info on Soul Collectors

--SZ announcement 

--House announcement

--Everything that's left announcement 

I haven't been out to CP to see the SZ construction....is it behind walls?

• Like 1

Just now, Alice said:

Less than a day left on the countdown. I'm thinking there are a few possibilities (listed from lame to awesome):

--SZ announcement 

--House announcement

Everything at once isn't happening, for Hollywood Mr Murdy confirmed the IP's wouldn't want each to get announced at the same time because some would get overshadowed. My bet is that it's the originals reveal, I'm so excited to see what Angels vs Demons & the vampire house actually are

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Alice said:

--SZ announcement 

--House announcement

I think it's going to be the middle three, but there's a good chance it won't happen at 11:00am when the counter hits zero.

• Like 2

So, I have a few thoughts about the delay in all the releasing of info. 

For one, i'm hoping this delay in marketing will make the event slightly less busy. Without a lot of HHN news and posts happening around the web, a lot of the general public that doesn't already know about HHN might not have enough time to book a trip down now. Remember how it wasn't so busy a few years ago when the announcement season didn't really start until August? While it will never go back to those levels of crowds, it might be slightly lower overall which is a win for everybody going!

Next, if the IP holders are the reason for the delay in announcements (which we all assume it is), I have to wonder why? Contracts not iron clad so they don't want to announce anything that won't be able to make it? Are the IP holders being super picky and wanting to ensure their announcement has enough time in the spotlight? Are IP Holders requesting to much money to use the property but marketing is fighting for it to be at the event so lots of discussions and decisions have to be made? It could be any of these or even something totally off the wall which is causing the delay. I know if I had a hot IP that I knew could draw in the crowds, you can be sure I would be wanting top dollar for Universal to use my IP. I wonder if more and more IP holders are seeing HHN has a cash cow for Universal and are starting to ask for more and more money to have their IP be at the event.

I'm sure we will get to the point where the number of IP's drops because IP holders start demanding to much money or specific requests that are to hard to pull off. 

If none of these are the reason for the delay, I have to wonder if they view this announcement season as a success because nearly everybody views it as a total failure. 

25 minutes ago, Badge said:

So, I have a few thoughts about the delay in all the releasing of info. 

For one, i'm hoping this delay in marketing will make the event slightly less busy. Without a lot of HHN news and posts happening around the web, a lot of the general public that doesn't already know about HHN might not have enough time to book a trip down now. Remember how it wasn't so busy a few years ago when the announcement season didn't really start until August? While it will never go back to those levels of crowds, it might be slightly lower overall which is a win for everybody going!

I disagree with this notion. I personally think that if the event is noticeably less busy this year, future HHNs will suffer. Crowds make the event a little more difficult to enjoy, but with extra ticket options, express, proper planning, etc it can still be enjoyed. I hope it continues to grow in popularity because the higher-ups will continue to raise spending on the event. I fear that a decline in attendance would lead to a clamp down on spending.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jediwhit82 said:

In unrelated news, I saw hollywoods tweet that tickets were available where the image included walking dead and I panicked for a good two minutes until I remembered they opened a year round attraction.

I did the same thing! Lol!!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marmoset said:

It could be or perhaps something more...famous

Not much mention of them in the speculation this year.

Which might go a long way to explain all the issues this year with marketing if this refers to the icon, which is itself an IP. 

Hopefully all will be revealed later today. 

• Like 1

My countdown is over (11:08am in the UK).

Only change is that countdown has gone, replaced with the words "Your Soul Has been Collected!"

No unlocked boxes. No other material. Nada. 

Might be waiting for 11am in Florida for big reveals, but based on this we may be disappointed. Hope not!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Drummanmatt said:

My countdown is over (11:08am in the UK).

Only change is that countdown has gone, replaced with the words "Your Soul Has been Collected!"

No unlocked boxes. No other material. Nada. 

Might be waiting for 11am in Florida for big reveals, but based on this we may be disappointed. Hope not!

That is what I'm thinking as well, a lot of people have said they've gotten the same thing, we have 4 hrs left, so definitely around 11, the website should be opened to all, I'm guessing, either there was a mistake made or they had planned it to be this way. 

• Mark M. locked and unpinned this topic