HHN 27 Speculation

hhnfan95

4 hours ago, Itsjosie said:

since there's not much else to talk about, I'm posing a question. Name any house original or IP that would piss you off the most if Orlando were to announce it today. 

Mine would probably be either a Slenderman house or Lunatics Playground 2: Now with extra 3D

Any M. Night Shymawhatever movie, It Follows, anything with bugs/insects or anything Walking Dead related. I'm also super over the whole clown thing. And I think last year Hollywood had a scarezone that was basically oversized vermin and insects. It looked so stupid. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, QueenoftheBunnies said:

Any M. Night Shymawhatever movie, It Follows, anything with bugs/insects or anything Walking Dead related. I'm also super over the whole clown thing. And I think last year Hollywood had a scarezone that was basically oversized vermin and insects. It looked so stupid. 

i have 2 things to say to you then

1 splits going in the blumhouse maze

2 so you don't want to see a house based off the 1986 fly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QueenoftheBunnies said:

I get the shymalan and walking dead, but is the bugs due to your own fear? I agree about the clowns but the It movie looks like it's going to be huge I remember hearing the trailer broke records for views so the general public is still interested in clowns.

im lucky my biggest phobia is being buried alive so there's not many houses that can realistically pull that off

1 hour ago, QueenoftheBunnies said:

Two years ago, it was called Exterminatorz and it was probably the best original scarezone concept I've seen at Hollywood. But that's all opinion. Last year our only scarezone theme was The Purge 

25 minutes ago, MoonKnight said:

I get the shymalan and walking dead, but is the bugs due to your own fear? I agree about the clowns but the It movie looks like it's going to be huge I remember hearing the trailer broke records for views so the general public is still interested in clowns.

im lucky my biggest phobia is being buried alive so there's not many houses that can realistically pull that off

Lol it is. I know HHN is so much fun because it's horror, buts bugs and spiders take it from "fun horror" to "hell no I'm not going near that with a 20 foot pole". 

I would actually LOVE an IT House, but when I said I'm over the clowns, I meant like the fluorescent clowns we see so often at HHN. 

2 hours ago, QueenoftheBunnies said:

Lol it is. I know HHN is so much fun because it's horror, buts bugs and spiders take it from "fun horror" to "hell no I'm not going near that with a 20 foot pole". 

I would actually LOVE an IT House, but when I said I'm over the clowns, I meant like the fluorescent clowns we see so often at HHN. 

Made me think of the clowns with chainsaws from 2015. I'm tired of chainsaws because there is NO subtlety it's just scareactors (pick a theme clowns, prisoners, geishas, etc) making noise and chasing people. If people stopped and thought they'd realize there is no chain and the more scared you act the more the chainsaws focus on you. I prefer a slow build to my horror movies, a chainsaw seems like a poor choice to sneak up on someone also

7 minutes ago, MoonKnight said:

Made me think of the clowns with chainsaws from 2015. I'm tired of chainsaws because there is NO subtlety it's just scareactors (pick a theme clowns, prisoners, geishas, etc) making noise and chasing people. If people stopped and thought they'd realize there is no chain and the more scared you act the more the chainsaws focus on you. I prefer a slow build to my horror movies, a chainsaw seems like a poor choice to sneak up on someone also

That reminds me of the first day I went last year I brought my friend and it was her first HHN ever and we were walking through the wandering hoard zone near between Transformers and the lagoon and as soon as she heard the chainsaw, she screamed and ran so all the scareactors chased after her while I just stood there and laughed. They ended up cornering her near a trashcan until I pulled her out and then taught her the important lesson of "don't run through the scarezone, and don't look scared". 

13 minutes ago, MoonKnight said:

To be fair, most "casual" HHN or just generally horror fans arent going to be thinking about the "chain" or whatever when the dudes coming screaming at them revving it up.

My position on SZ's is that the chainsaws and hordes are for casuals who will jump at anything. 

4 minutes ago, ForeverEvil1 said:

To be fair, most "casual" HHN or just generally horror fans arent going to be thinking about the "chain" or whatever when the dudes coming screaming at them revving it up.

My position on SZ's is that the chainsaws and hordes are for casuals who will jump at anything. 

Basically me and all my friends

• Like 1

I find the chainsaws fun as hell.  They usually don't get me but last year a scare actor in survive or die revved it right behind me when I didn't realize he was there, scared the crap out of me and I ran laughing to the bar.  Its all part of the fun :) .

And yes I know there is no chains.  

• Like 3

Agreed on the no bugs. That's just too real for some people. Especially in FL. Some places here should be bulldozed!

Any more asylum trope houses would annoy me. There's probably a way to do them more respectfully but it's honestly really jarring to walk into a house or SZ and see abled people acting the way they THINK a 'crazy mental patient' would act. It's either a horribly over exaggerated caricature or it's actually the way some people are, either way it's off-putting when you (or people you know) are who they're supposed to be acting like. And don't get me STARTED on the random self-harm that got removed from last year's 3D house...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Alice said:

And don't get me STARTED on the random self-harm that got removed from last year's 3D house...

I know exactly which part you're talking about and I was surprised that was there. I don't think they got rid of it though because I remember going in that house towards the end of the run and it was still there. Like, I get it, if gore triggers you obviously don't go to a horror based event, but the self-harm part just seemed a bit unnecessary. I have a few unpopular opinions about the asylum tropes but I'll save that for another day. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

Random, but can I just say how happy I am that it appears as if the Cindy fortune teller rumors were complete crap?

Half agree. Fortune Teller Cindy sounds dumb but I still really want a year with Cindy. She's one of my favorite icons and she hasn't even had her own year yet. I wouldn't want her this year though because I feel like her theme would be too similar to Chance's. Fingers crossed for next year or 29. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Alice said:

Any more asylum trope houses would annoy me. There's probably a way to do them more respectfully but it's honestly really jarring to walk into a house or SZ and see abled people acting the way they THINK a 'crazy mental patient' would act. It's either a horribly over exaggerated caricature or it's actually the way some people are, either way it's off-putting when you (or people you know) are who they're supposed to be acting like. 

I dont mean this to be combative at all, cross my heart!  I think the asylum trope is so common because the idea of being surrounded by criminally insane people (which do actually exist) is super scary and unnerving.  Innocent and harmless people were horribly abused in asylums, sure.  But innocent and harmless people have also been mass murdered, put in torture chambers, been eaten, etc, etc:  all sorts of common tropes that we see at HHN.  I would give the creators the benefit of the doubt and assume they're not purposefully trying to portray the dark realities of historical asylums.

You mention being more "respectful" about it, thats certainly fair.  Would the theme be more palatable if the backstories behind future attractions explicitly stated that the inmates were violently insane or something?  Just trying to find a happy middle ground i guess :) 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Alice said:

And don't get me STARTED on the random self-harm that got removed from last year's 3D house...

7 hours ago, QueenoftheBunnies said:

I know exactly which part you're talking about and I was surprised that was there. 

Remind me what this was that you are referring to. I remember seeing something and being surprised they did it, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. Help?

6 minutes ago, Sledge said:

Remind me what this was that you are referring to. I remember seeing something and being surprised they did it, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. Help?

it was a room with i believe a inmate on the floor slitting her wrists with a water effect

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, themazethinker said:

it was a room with i believe a inmate on the floor slitting her wrists with a water effect

Yeah that was it. The first walk through I did of LP, I remember thinking that scene probably wouldn't last beyond the first day. I think I went into that house every visit to HHN and I remember seeing it every time. 

Just now, QueenoftheBunnies said:

Yeah that was it. The first walk through I did of LP, I remember thinking that scene probably wouldn't last beyond the first day. I think I went into that house every visit to HHN and I remember seeing it every time. 

well remember 2016 was the year of edgy suicide jokes

12 hours ago, UsherBscary said:

I would give the creators the benefit of the doubt and assume they're not purposefully trying to portray the dark realities of historical asylums.

I think I'd have to disagree, and it is one of the reasons I feel the asylum trope is important. 

Historical asylums had really dark realities. There are really dark realities still occurring. These dark realities aren't and weren't  being perpetuated by patients, but by the doctors. Asylum tropes usually depict the historical horrors that were done to patients. Laypeople need to be confronted with these horrors. We are doomed to repeat the past if we ignore it. 

Horror has always been a medium used to broach uncomfortable and taboo topics. If we don't talk about it, we can't learn from it. Instead of banning or boycotting asylum tropes, they need to be used as a platform to hold us accountable for our collective history. 

We cannot remove the stigma related to mental health issues, if we ignore how poorly we have treated them in the past. 

• Like 8

On 7/15/2017 at 1:04 PM, criticalanalysis said:

Mine is 90% of this forum's wishlist earlier in this thread. 

God damn this gave be a 7:30am at work belly laugh!!!! CA is great!!!!!

19 hours ago, Alice said:

There's probably a way to do them more respectfully

Id hate to disagree with you but as soon as horror becomes "respectful" (read PC) then its done. I firmly believe as soon as the SJW scene decides to sink its greasy cheeto fingers into HHN Orlando its gonna cause a huge stir. And like most companies, Uni will bow down and kiss their asses. Its already happened in Hollywood. granted people on the east coast compared to west coast are apples and oranges... 

• Like 8

14 hours ago, UsherBscary said:

I dont mean this to be combative at all, cross my heart!  I think the asylum trope is so common because the idea of being surrounded by criminally insane people (which do actually exist) is super scary and unnerving.  Innocent and harmless people were horribly abused in asylums, sure.  But innocent and harmless people have also been mass murdered, put in torture chambers, been eaten, etc, etc:  all sorts of common tropes that we see at HHN.  I would give the creators the benefit of the doubt and assume they're not purposefully trying to portray the dark realities of historical asylums.

You mention being more "respectful" about it, thats certainly fair.  Would the theme be more palatable if the backstories behind future attractions explicitly stated that the inmates were violently insane or something?  Just trying to find a happy middle ground i guess :) 

'Violently insane' is just a way of saying 'neurodivergent in a way that is not palatable to the rest of us' so I'd say no. It's a blow-your-mind kind of statement but a LOT of 'violent' folks are violent as a result of the same mistreatment we are talking about in institutions. I have never been institutionalised but I absolutely was that 'violent' kid once, so I don't think that distinction is helpful or respectful. 

1 hour ago, mystiquephreeq said:

I think I'd have to disagree, and it is one of the reasons I feel the asylum trope is important. 

Historical asylums had really dark realities. There are really dark realities still occurring. These dark realities aren't and weren't  being perpetuated by patients, but by the doctors. Asylum tropes usually depict the historical horrors that were done to patients. Laypeople need to be confronted with these horrors. We are doomed to repeat the past if we ignore it. 

Horror has always been a medium used to broach uncomfortable and taboo topics. If we don't talk about it, we can't learn from it. Instead of banning or boycotting asylum tropes, they need to be used as a platform to hold us accountable for our collective history. 

We cannot remove the stigma related to mental health issues, if we ignore how poorly we have treated them in the past. 

I think there are ways of presenting that story without having to have it be a part of a horror event. I absolutely agree that the history of mental healthcare needs to be preserved and displayed as a deterrent to anyone who would resurrect it; putting it in a haunted attraction doesn't serve that purpose. 

Anyway, sorry to have caused a debate, I hope we get information this week to take us off the subject lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mystiquephreeq said:

22 minutes ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

Id hate to disagree with you but as soon as horror becomes "respectful" (read PC) then its done. I firmly believe as soon as the SJW scene decides to sink its greasy cheeto fingers into HHN Orlando its gonna cause a huge stir. And like most companies, Uni will bow down and kiss their asses. Its already happened in Hollywood. granted people on the east coast compared to west coast are apples and oranges... 

Agree agree agree. Horror pushes boundaries, it makes people uncomfortable, it triggers people, that's one of the reasons why it's so popular. It's certainly not for everybody and that's ok. And it's even ok for people to like some aspects of horror but not others. It's literally impossible to have a good horror event and be able to cater to everyone's likes. That pretty much goes for every event, but horror specifically. Like PeoriaBJJ said, once they start trying to be PC, it's done. Once you start doing that, where does it stop? Next will be party clowns saying that Jack needs to go away because it's offensive to their career, actual voodoo priestesses saying Bayou of Blood is offensive. It all comes back to "If you don't like it, don't go". You have every right to be upset about certain tropes, but if you don't like asylum houses, or clowns, or whatever, then don't go into those mazes. Simple as that. Just like how if you didn't like a horror movie based off of asylums, you wouldn't see it. 

9 minutes ago, Alice said:

Anyway, sorry to have caused a debate, I hope we get information this week to take us off the subject lol

Debate is great! It's interesting to read everyone's opinions while we wait for some news! This is a very interesting discussion too. 

• Like 4

• Mark M. locked and unpinned this topic