HHN 27 Speculation

hhnfan95

22 minutes ago, Alice said:

I really wish the earlier events were better documented. Sure, we have written stuff, but not much video. I would have been 10 years old and across the country during HHN 16, so I would never have been able to go myself. 

Which is why we loved the websites/marketing so much. Even if you didn't go, you got to experience the event in a sense. The HHN 18 website scared the hell out of me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

Everything is different??? An evil book, an incantation, attacking vines, demonic possession, an inability to escape the cabin in the woods. If you take out the subplot about her being an addict and a few things here and there, the movies (Evil Dead 1) are basically the same. There is a reason why they called the 2013 version Evil Dead. It's a damn reboot.

We'll see just how different the house will be come this September. I'll wager any amount of money you want that they'll be a book, an incantation, and someone popping their head out of a basement.

With that argument, wouldn't any of the "original" mazes all be considered rip-offs or things that have been seen before? Most of the originals everyone talks about revolve around cliche themes - clowns, butchers, zombies, vampires, etc. Or these types of characters thrown in a random setting to make it different. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Arsik_22 said:

With that argument, wouldn't any of the "original" mazes all be considered rip-offs or things that have been seen before? Most of the originals everyone talks about revolve around cliche themes - clowns, butchers, zombies, vampires, etc. Or these types of characters thrown in a random setting to make it different. 

No

• Like 1

Just now, Arsik_22 said:

It's true... almost everything has been done or seen at this point. It's very difficult to have an honest to goodness out of the box original. My complaint isn't necessarily that they're bringing back Evil Dead, but more because they just did it a few years ago (and the whole Ash vs Evil dead being Evil Dead 1 and 2 somehow).

Some may complain that Saw is coming back because of various reasons too. I never saw the one back in 2009. Is 8 years enough of a gap to bring a house back? I guess it depends on how you feel about repeats and possibly how old you are in general. I can understand that if what people witnessed from back then wasn't too impressive then they wouldn't want it back in any fashion. At least it's probably somewhat safe to assume that it will be based off the new film, which means new material. However, I do like to watch the movies/tv shows being used before the event so it kinda sucks that I won't be able to do so with the new Saw.

• Like 1

I don't think it's hard to find new material. Here's one:

* Do a house that's based on electronics, electricity, circuits, mechanisms (think winding gears of clocks)

Here's another:

* Do a house based on many types of severe weather

Here's another:

* Do a house based on large, giant fictional creatures (not aliens necessarily)

Here's another:

I think those three are awesome. And it took a milisecond for me to think of these.

"They won't give us any info, this isn't fair!"

They release some info and everybody bitches.  They announce WHEN they're making a big announcement and everybody bitches.

"They're repeating Evil Dead and Saw!?!?!?  This is Bull!@#$!"

I really wish they re-did Catacombs and Gothic.  Why won't they redo those?  And bring back Hellgate Prison.  And Dead Exposure.  And Frightanic!   Screw them for repeating houses!  Who cares if one IP has 8 movies and the other has 4 movies and 2 seasons of episodes (yes, I know it's only from the first two movies...but making a point). They're still repeats.  Nevermind that Halloween 2 is the same guy stalking the same girl in the same town....this is a travesty!  

"They're so lazy doing the same old thing every year!"

Academy of Villians!?!?!?  What does this have to do with horror other than their costumes and the content of their amazing shows.  That's horrible!  I wish they brought back Jack instead for the 32nd time.  A VR experience?  What kind of BS is this!  Would prefer another house.

"The Website sucks, it's not interactive like in the past!"

What's this bullshit?  A countdown clock, collecting our souls, slowly unlocking content based on twitter interactions.  This sucks!

"This year is going to suck!  I have zero interest.  this is going to be horrible!"

But of course I already booked my trip and can't wait.

Guess when I blocked Critical from my feed I missed out when he served everybody koolaid.  Need to rename this site to horrornightsbitching.com.

You guys probably complain when when a new roller coaster opens and it doesn't match the one you built in Rollercoaster Tycoon in 2009.

• Like 19

50 minutes ago, Oysterhead00 said:

They release some info and everybody bitches.

There's a huge difference between teasers like they used to do in the older sites versus "Oh, hey zero build up and boom here's a generic reveal."

I really wish they re-did Catacombs and Gothic.  Why won't they redo those?  And bring back Hellgate Prison.  And Dead Exposure.  And Frightanic!   Screw them for repeating houses!  Who cares if one IP has 8 movies and the other has 4 movies and 2 seasons of episodes (yes, I know it's only from the first two movies...but making a point). They're still repeats.  Nevermind that Halloween 2 is the same guy stalking the same girl in the same town....this is a travesty!  

I'm actually not a fan of bringing back identical scenes from the past. Never have been. IPs we know exactly what's coming. Hence why few IPs get stellar reviews (only ones I know of that were raved are AWIL, Halloween 1, NOES).

What's this bullshit?  A countdown clock, collecting our souls, slowly unlocking content based on twitter interactions.  This sucks!

Massive difference between their older sites with teaser audio/images/video and interactive storytelling versus generic, low thought social media "bait" sharing.

Academy of Villians!?!?!?  What does this have to do with horror other than their costumes and the content of their amazing shows.  That's horrible!  I wish they brought back Jack instead for the 32nd time.  A VR experience?  What kind of BS is this!  Would prefer another house.

Just because they do something new doesn't mean it's good. Most people who don't want Jack, I guarantee, also don't want AoV back. I was never excited by it in the first place. The VR thing seemed like a boardwalk-gimmick upcharge garbage from the very beginning. Another house is preferred.

I solely go so I don't miss out on a year. But I promise you I've spent dramatically less money than in the past. Food and alcohol is way down, merchandise is way down, I don't do any VIP stuff, never book Express passes, never stay onsite anymore. Same with others I know, and that's of those who still go.

Need to rename this site to horrornightsbitching.com.

When I'm no longer the sole vocal voice of notable criticism and criticism is seen on other sites and on social media then perhaps there's some merit to the entire argument.

But, of course, because Oyster is "offended" because he doesn't like criticism and prefers circlejerking the event to no end then he won't see the above.

Edited by criticalanalysis
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Oysterhead00 said:

They release some info and everybody bitches.  They announce WHEN they're making a big announcement and everybody bitches.

"This year is going to suck!  I have zero interest.  this is going to be horrible!"

Guess when I blocked Critical from my feed I missed out when he served everybody koolaid.  Need to rename this site to horrornightsbitching.com.

You guys probably complain when when a new roller coaster opens and it doesn't match the one you built in Rollercoaster Tycoon in 2009.

All of this. Every. Last. Word.

57 minutes ago, Oysterhead00 said:

If anyone is drinking kool-aid, it's you man.

Who was bitching about getting info? People are aggravated even with the announcement timer because it's not until roughly only 1 month before the event and by then it doesn't leave much time to discuss or watch the material.

So apparently you think repeats are cool? Having the Purge back in NY again after only a couple years is awesome. The same thing with Evil Dead. I can't wait to hear the comments when 2/3 of the house is a replica of what we had a few years back.

Who wouldn't prefer another house over that VR crap that they overcharged for last year. Did literally anyone enjoy that flop?

Yeah... a countdown clock SLOWLY releasing material. How slow? How does it even work? So far, it seems like a pointless counter that leads to nothing.

I'm not sure if this year is going to suck, but the leadup has been the worst I've seen since I started attending. I'm sorry that I have to book my trips in advance. Like I said earlier, next year if they don't get their crap together I won't go. 

People should be allowed to share their opinions, good and bad without people like yourself chiming in bitching. To be honest, I find it rather rude.

• Like 3

I don't get the complaints about Jigsaw being at the event because it's based solely on the upcoming film... which is new. I find it odd they chose to do one movie instead of a mashup again. But yeah there's no pleasing everyone when it comes to HHN

• Like 1

Guest Miss_stryx
1 hour ago, criticalanalysis said:

* Do a house that's based on electronics, electricity, circuits, mechanisms (think winding gears of clocks)

Here's another:

Here's another:

Here's another:

I think those three are awesome. And it took a milisecond for me to think of these.

Saws and steam?

Severe weather would be quite difficult to pull off. Not sure if its scary enough.

And Creatures was a house in 2008. Where it had giant, fictional creatures.

20 minutes ago, criticalanalysis said:

There's a huge difference between teasers like they used to do in the older sites versus "Oh, hey zero build up and boom here's a generic reveal."

I'm actually not a fan of bringing back identical scenes from the past. Never have been. IPs we know exactly what's coming. Hence why few IPs get stellar reviews (only ones I know of that were raved are AWIL, Halloween 1, NOES).

Massive difference between their older sites with teaser audio/images/video and interactive storytelling versus generic, low thought social media "bait" sharing.

Just because they do something new doesn't mean it's good. Most people who don't want Jack, I guarantee, also don't want AoV back. I was never excited by it in the first place. The VR thing seemed like a boardwalk-gimmick upcharge garbage from the very beginning. Another house is preferred.

I solely go so I don't miss out on a year. But I promise you I've spent dramatically less money than in the past. Food and alcohol is way down, merchandise is way down, I don't do any VIP stuff, never book Express passes, never stay onsite anymore. Same with others I know, and that's of those who still go.

When I'm no longer the sole vocal voice of notable criticism and criticism is seen on other sites and on social media then perhaps there's some merit to the entire argument.

But, of course, because Oyster is "offended" because he doesn't like criticism and prefers circlejerking the event to no end then he won't see the above.

Before I go into this, I'm not trying to bash any opinions, I respect them as much as I can, I find this new "Kool-aid" thing an odd argument for both sides. 

If mz or any of the other admins / mods thinks I was too harsh or rude, please tell me so and I'll just delete this and be quiet from now on.

But here's my thing about people like you Crit, and I'm not going to call you any names if you're wondering:

Criticizes Marketing negatively.

Criticizes A&D and Mike Aiello himself on occasions negatively. 

Criticizes usually the majority of the house and scare zone options negatively, original and IP.

Still will go and spend (Just the one day ticket, presuming you aren't bs'ing) a good 60-70 dollars and their parking fee to go to this event you claim has fallen in the pits.

Because you're a "diehard".

Sure, you'll not spend money on anything else and you'll bash it online, this forum, and the surveys should you take them. 

You're still the guy out nearly 100 bucks that Universal has garnered off this event you basically hate now. 

And you've done this for years now even when the event first went in this direction that you despise. So I'm just presuming.

Wouldn't it just be a much better message to them instead of still giving them any ounce of money to just...stop going to the event?

Show Universal that they truly finally drove away a diehard fan instead of just having another "hanger-on" who will give them an annual 60-70 but comes with the downside of wishes for the good ol days.

I like to think Marketing at least talks about the diehard fan if only once, and I bet I can guess their conversation goes like:

"Diehards complaining?"

"Yes."

"Are they still going at least one day to give us some cash?"

"Yes."

"Then who cares."

I don't know honestly. I just think you're wasting your own time and money to dedicate yourself to complaining about every little detail of every little part of this event to go even just one day and maybe just like one house, one scarezone, no shows. 

And all these friends you mention I presume they feel the same. And they sound...exactly like you.

Less profit = Profit still. You say "oh, I'm spending less money" like it's a big thing, a big middle finger at that evil Marketing team, they're probably just laughing that these guys hating on them are STILL GIVING THEM MONEY. You're sorta proving their Marketing regime right in a way, right? They're still keeping the old-comers while getting so many more new-comers. Most successful marketing tactics in years.

I'm not saying all of this in a "How dare you hate the event" way. I'm saying it in a "I don't get why you're helping their financials if you hate them" way. 

It's like if I spouted out for every election that I hate all the candidates, I hate the way voting's done, I'm gonna hate who the final electee is anyways and I went and voted for that guy I specifically hated, citing "I liked him before and maybe he'll go back to his old ways, but I REFUSE TO DONATE FIVE DOLLARS TO HIS NEXT SHITTY FUNDRAISER.".

My "rant", I guess, is really not even to just you specifically, you're just the guy that fits the plate on this day, on this forum. 

I don't know why I even typed this when it's going to be greeted with snark anyways, but I figured I would address the point.

You're gonna complain about Blumhouse, Saw, Ash Vs Evil Dead, Bayou, Soul Collectors, all of it. You'll like Angels vs Demons though you'll say the details were sorta shoddy.  That's fine, I'm not gonna go crazy cuz I like IP's and you don't or any other thing. I'll address your opinions, you'll address mine, and we can have a happier little chat than the ones recently. 

I just think by giving them even negative attention and even just a bit of money, they still gain more of your rants versus them than you ever will. 

Maybe I'm gonna be the dumb one, maybe some corporate douchebag will load up some cached version of the 2008 website and say "We've been doing it all wrong!". And you'll be better off for having stuck around in the "dark times".

But if that doesn't happen...where does that place you? You'll be a big negative voice no doubt towards the whole thing through all the years.

But does it not benefit you more to just take a breather a couple of years? Even stay on the forum, but don't give the Marketing team your money and time out of even just one day and night. 

Out of jest, you and Horror Nights seem to be in an abusive relationship. They hit you and batter you, but eventually you'll come back anyway because you like his originals. Rinse. Repeat.

Perhaps I'm looking at it too cynical, but I'm just calling what I personally see.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, criticalanalysis said:

Here's another:

Here's another:

Here's another:

I know you said "various types" but dude, we're getting a house on the friggin' DUST BOWL.

We're also getting a SZ about 50s sci-fi aliens.

Im surprised it took you this long to only go to the event once. Heck, I'm surprised you still go to the event at all. It does not matter what they do, you will always find a way to whine about how much better le good old days were. There's a fine line between criticism and LOOKING specifically for things to complain about. I saw your post on OU about "those dirty stupid pleebs ruining th event they should raise ticket prices!" and it shows you are clearly doing the latter.

/rant

On Evil Dead, was the 2013 house based on the remake?

Ok. Sort of like how TCM in 2007 and in ANDI were on the remake and TCM in 2016 was based on the original? See, one of the few things I agree with CA on was that I thought 2016 TCM was amazing (the hammer kill scene scared the crap out of me!). To me, that and TotA were great, Ghost Town was "good" and Krampus, H2, and Exorcist were all "solid." I didn't bother with TWD, AHS or LP.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to pump sunshine. There's enough things to be depressed about in the world that aren't a Halloween event.

Edited by OhHaiInternet95
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

Ok. Sort of like how TCM in 2007 and in ANDI were on the remake and TCM in 2016 was based on the original? See, one of the few things I agree with CA on was that I thought 2016 TCM was amazing.

Basically.

Wasn't a personal fan of that maze but I digress.

2 hours ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

People should be allowed to share their opinions, good and bad without people like yourself chiming in bitching. To be honest, I find it rather rude.

Oh, sorry, didn't realize everybody else could be "rude" and bitch about everything, but I couldn't do it in return.  Accept my sincerest apologies.

My take is judge an event on it's merits, not on your preconceived opinions based on nothing but words on a website.  I have an OPEN mind and I've been very disappointed on stuff I've very much looked forward to (cough, TWD, cough) and been very plesantly surprised by stuff I didn't think would be that great (Academy of Villians).  I can't predict the future.  Everybody here can apparently and can state, definitively, how they've been wronged and personally offended by the event...that hasn't happened yet.  It's getting old.  Fast. 

Again, I apologize if my bitching offended your bitching.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, criticalanalysis said:

Here's another:

Here's another:

Here's another:

The first idea sounds a little too much like Saws 'n Steam, but if done right, it could be cool.

How would a severe weather House work? My only thought is maybe elemental monsters/ demons that each embody some kind of severe weather.

Giant creatures, if done in the right area and in a way that'll be safe, could be very cool. The closest I could recall to them doing that in the past were 1) Creatures in 2008 (Though the giant creatures in that were quickly removed for safety reasons), and 2) the Minotaur in 2010's 'Hades' House (I recall that Scareactor being huge).

Now, as for the rest of you,
I can't tell what's worse: The whining about the delays and lack of info (Which admittedly is understandable; I can still remember the giddy excitement I had in the summers of 2008 and 2009 as I saw the website slowly updating), or the childish bickering that's suddenly broken out.

Can't we all agree that HHN is awesome, and while the Marketing Dept. has really dropped the ball this summer, I still think this year has a lot of potential.

Edited by Nightcrawler
  • Like 2

• Mark M. locked and unpinned this topic