HHN 27 Speculation

hhnfan95

1 hour ago, criticalanalysis said:

Think about how disjointed this year seems "thematically": The 'Soul Collectors' are here to harvest your souls, and btw here's Jigsaw, The Purge, The Shining...

what?

I don't blame Michael Roddy for leaving.

Well technically the overarching theme is that in every house is a Soul Collector, which assuming that's the case then:

Houses:

Shining: Jack Torrance & Overlook Hotel

AHS: Butcher, Madame LaLaurie, Dr. Arden

Blumhouse: Basically everything in it

Harvest of the Souls: Soul Collectors

Jigsaw: Jigsaw

Bayou of Blood: Voodoo Queen

Angels vs Demons?: Demons

Ash vs Evil Dead: Deadites

Urban Legend House: Black Eyed Children

Scarezones(the ones we know so far):

Entrance Zone: All of the above

Purge: Purgers

Edited by wow
  • Like 1

So we're getting a repeat house with Evil Dead and now most likely a repeat scare zone in the exact same location with the Purge? Besides that, they won't announce anything and the event is only 2 months away. My hype meter is hitting critically low levels.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

So we're getting a repeat house with Evil Dead and now most likely a repeat scare zone in the exact same location with the Purge? Besides that, they won't announce anything and the event is only 2 months away. My hype meter is hitting critically low levels.

Technically Evil Dead & Jigsaw aren't repeats. The content that will be in those houses haven't been at the event, with Evil Dead 1 & 2 being new & Jigsaw being based on the new movie.

1 minute ago, wow said:

Technically Evil Dead & Jigsaw aren't repeats. The content that will be in those houses haven't been at the event, with Evil Dead 1 & 2 being new & Jigsaw being based on the new movie.

Don't bother. Basically all of Evil Dead except for the cabin is different and it's still a repeat to them.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, ForeverEvil1 said:

Don't bother. Basically all of Evil Dead except for the cabin is different and it's still a repeat to them.

Everything is different??? An evil book, an incantation, attacking vines, demonic possession, an inability to escape the cabin in the woods. If you take out the subplot about her being an addict and a few things here and there, the movies (Evil Dead 1) are basically the same. There is a reason why they called the 2013 version Evil Dead. It's a damn reboot.

We'll see just how different the house will be come this September. I'll wager any amount of money you want that they'll be a book, an incantation, and someone popping their head out of a basement.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

Everything is different??? An evil book, an incantation, attacking vines, demonic possession, an inability to escape the cabin in the woods. If you take out the subplot about her being an addict and a few things here and there, the movies (Evil Dead 1) are basically the same. There is a reason why they called the 2013 version Evil Dead. It's a damn reboot.

The tone is almost a complete 180 from the original two though. That's why it's completely different. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StupidStupidDan said:

The tone is almost a complete 180 from the original two though. That's why it's completely different. 

And how well does tone translate to recreating material for a house?

The tone of the 2nd Evil Dead was much different. I'll give you that. It was more comical than the 1st one, but how much material will be used from the 2nd movie when they already have most of what they need to fill a house using the 1st film?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

I thought the EVIL DEAD house was actually gonna be ASH VS EVIL DEAD???? Those have nothing in common except all the stuff thats the same. So everyone settle down!!!!

Supposedly they're calling it Ash vs Evil Dead, but are only using material from the original Evil Dead 1 and 2. 

If it's actually material from Ash vs Evil Dead I'd be much happier for multiple reasons.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

I thought the EVIL DEAD house was actually gonna be ASH VS EVIL DEAD???? Those have nothing in common except all the stuff thats the same. So everyone settle down!!!!

I think the madness they're doing is naming the house Ash vs. Evil Dead but then discarding that altogether and using 1 & 2.  WTF does that??

Give it another 2-3 years and we'll have:

Purge 5        - brought to you by AT&T.

Silent Hill 2  - presented by Intel.

1 minute ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

Supposedly they're calling it Ash vs Evil Dead, but are only using material from the original Evil Dead 1 and 2. 

If it's actually material from Ash vs Evil Dead I'd be much happier.

Beat me to it

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

And how well does tone translate to recreating material for a house?

Tone is everything man!

The Evil Dead house this year will probably end up being much more of a campy comedy house than the one from HHN23. That film had a much more serious tone. It got a little campy at the end, but nothing compared to Raimi's films.

Think about the Nightmare on Elm Street sequels vs. the remake from a few years ago.

Those sequels feel nothing like the remake. Sure, they still have a disfigured guy with a knife glove, but they are completely different movies.

Sure, all steaks come from a cow, but it all depends on how you cook them.

4 minutes ago, criticalanalysis said:

Another thing Marketing fails to consider is that perception affects outcome. Lots of us are going into this event lukewarm at best. If you have a perception a product will suck it's going to negatively impact your enjoyment. 

Marketing doesn't care about us, man.

Majority of event goers will find out about the event in August when everything is announced.

It's been the same story for years now: marketing sucks, and creative should take over the website and hype up the reveal. They've heard us complain, and nothing has changed. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BrentMatheson said:

This will be my first HHN.  As an outsider, I am excited to see what the hype is about.  As a person who shelled out a considerable sum for flight tickets (coming from Canada), passes, RIP passes, I want to buy souvenirs, hotel nights etc, for two people, I do find this model of ‘just trust us’ is a bit lacking.   Our modern world doesn’t really work that way. 

I find the tweets from the official HHN feed to be trite.  I find the hurry up and wait frustrating.  My wife told me that my best friend (who I am going with) and I should go annually to HHN, but frankly, I can’t take this sort of frustration annually.  This event is supposed to be a source of fun.  Entertainment.  Stress relief.  I am finding the opposite to be the case from the way this has been handled.  This is my view as a newbie and an outsider of sorts.  I can’t imagine the frustrations felt by others who have seen the marketing campaign handled in a more forthright manner in the past.  I can hear the polite frustrations being expressed on boards like this, but I suspect they are more close to the surface than is being let on.   I am invested so I wait for the news, but honestly, if I had not already paid for stuff, I probably would just pack up my bat and ball and stay home. 

While I understand your frustration (as do many here obviously), please don't think you're wasting your time or money to come to this event.  Even when they piss me off, Universal still puts on my favorite event of the year, and it's still the best six weeks of my life.. every. single. year.   Since you've never been, it won't matter to you if they do the Purge or Evil Dead (annoying because to us it's a repeat) - you've not seen any of it.  

I think we are all so frustrated and annoyed right now - and probably feeling pretty neglected, like a bunch of irate children - and it is bringing much more negativity here than is probably warranted.  Don't let that deter you or get you thinking you just pissed away a lot of money for nothing.  You didn't.  You'll have a blast, and if you know what's good for you, you'll listen to your wife, and you will make the annual trip.  I do, and I've not regretted it yet.  This will be my 13th year (lucky 13!) in a row traveling for this.  

I will make one suggestion to you though - if you are staying for a bit, you should consider squeezing in a night at Howl O Scream in Tampa.  It's only about an hour and 20 minutes drive, and it's worth it.  Someone on these boards suggested that to us a few years ago, and we enjoyed it so much, it is now part of our annual tradition.  Splurge for the guided VIP tour.  It's 100% worth it - you get unlimited front of the line on all houses and rides as many times as you want, a personal guide for the night, dinner and show at Fright Feast (marginal food, but the show is entertaining), and free drinks and snacks all night.

I've decided to send tweets to HHNOrlando every day until we get something.  I was thinking if we ALL did that, maybe we can at least annoy them.  That would be satisfying.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, criticalanalysis said:

Another thing Marketing fails to consider is that perception affects outcome. Lots of us are going into this event lukewarm at best. If you have a perception a product will suck it's going to negatively impact your enjoyment. 

I don't know on this one.  Sometimes if you expect shit, you either won't be let down, or it will be better than you thought.  I've severely tempered my expectations the past few years.  Basically since TWD started.  Wasn't let down!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Tich0las said:

Marketing doesn't care about us, man.

Majority of event goers will find out about the event in August when everything is announced.

It's been the same story for years now: marketing sucks, and creative should take over the website and hype up the reveal. They've heard us complain, and nothing has changed. 

While I'm as frustrated with lack of info as everyone on here. Think about it from a business aspect. Each year the event grows and continues to make more money. If you were Bill Davis you'd be a fool to change it up. In his eyes (and the rest of the board) marketing is killing it year in and year out.

The definition of marketing is "the process or technique of promoting,selling,and distributing a product or service"

And cousin business is booming.

• Like 4

I understand the hate for marketing & Universal right now but there will never be a perfect event. This year is bringing us the better AHS seasons, the Shining, and Evil Dead 1 & 2; all of which have been heavily requested yet still nobody is happy. There is a theme, a mascot, original content, and an interactive website yet people are still complaining. There will never be another HHN 18, so it would be useless to say that we need to go back to it and replicate it to the nth degree. Point is, this year may not be a perfect year but it is doing pretty excellent when you look at it from a different perspective. So just enjoy this year for what it is, which is a solid event

Edited by wow
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, wow said:

There will never be another HHN 18

Blasphemy!!  Sad but true, though.  My fave year.  In all seriousness, my main issue the past few years have been the scarezones.  They just don't have that Halloween feel to them anymore.  You have rock music blasting now in one end of the park.  But I'm local and the event is really the only time during the year that I go out after work multiple nights a week for over a month.  Always nice to have something to look forward to during the week.  I started doing photography there the past two years and it's a lot of fun to capture all the cool looking costumes.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, marmoset said:

While I'm as frustrated with lack of info as everyone on here. Think about it from a business aspect. Each year the event grows and continues to make more money. If you were Bill Davis you'd be a fool to change it up. In his eyes (and the rest of the board) marketing is killing it year in and year out.

The definition of marketing is "the process or technique of promoting,selling,and distributing a product or service"

And cousin business is booming.

Believe me, I know. And for the record, I'm not advocating either way. I'm just telling it like it is.

All I can contribute to the debate is my own personal experience, which is this: I became obsessed with this event more than a decade before ever attending because of the intricate story telling and elaborate website design Universal used to create for HHN.  Without it, I would have never gone - let alone be working the event this year.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pandry said:

Blasphemy!!  Sad but true, though.  My fave year.  In all seriousness, my main issue the past few years have been the scarezones.  They just don't have that Halloween feel to them anymore.  You have rock music blasting now in one end of the park.  But I'm local and the event is really the only time during the year that I go out after work multiple nights a week for over a month.  Always nice to have something to look forward to during the week.  I started doing photography there the past two years and it's a lot of fun to capture all the cool looking costumes.

I really wish the earlier events were better documented. Sure, we have written stuff, but not much video. I would have been 10 years old and across the country during HHN 16, so I would never have been able to go myself. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tich0las said:

Believe me, I know. And for the record, I'm not advocating either way. I'm just telling it like it is.

All I can contribute to the debate is my own personal experience, which is this: I became obsessed with this event more than a decade before ever attending because of the intricate story telling and elaborate website design Universal used to create for HHN.  Without it, I would have never gone - let alone be working the event this year.

First and foremost congrats on being cast! You'll have the time of your life.

Same here. The stories and backgrounds of the houses and scarezones took my young mind captive and still will not let it go. I appreciate the creative team more than they will ever know.

Back to the current issue at hand...

Is theifrit holding something back?

• Mark M. locked and unpinned this topic