HHN 27 Speculation

hhnfan95

I personally think that the Director, Usher, Fear, and Bloody Mary have got to be the most underutilized icons Universal has. What's more, they have the potential to make for great pairings. We now have this Jack and Chance duo dynamic, but those four could make for some really interesting partners, or cohorts, or whatever the hell you want to call the relationship.

The one I ship the most would be to see an Usher and Director team up. Come on, it's practically begging to happen. One makes movies, one works at the cinema where they show them. With Universal now going IP heavy, it just makes the most sense story wise. With Fear and BM - Fear is this demon that's  purpose is to terrify every living thing, and throughout 2008's marketing Mary made it clear that people's fear gives her strength- so there's a connection there. 

• Like 2

So because I hate waiting, I went back through the threads from HHN26 to see when the house announcements were made.  I had to laugh because the first house announced was on 4/14/16, and the comment was that was the earliest a thread for a house was ever started.  So, we already beat that this year with the AHS announcement happening on 3/29/17.

I'd love to know what you all think about this.  Since we received our first house announcement over two weeks earlier than our first one last year, can we hope to get earlier announcements on all the houses this year?  Here was last year's list:

TCM         4/14/16

Exorcist    4/26/16

TWD        6/3/16

Chance     6/9/16

Halloween 7/7/16

Krampus   8/4/16

Tomb       8/6/16

Ghost       8/10/16

AHS         8/16/16

Notice the month of May last year was an information wasteland.  I hope that's not true this year.  

• Like 5

Thanks for putting in that research Hunnylvr, that must have taken a while!

Im all for getting the news as early as possible.  Just seems funny that theyre sliding these releases earlier and earlier, what other event in Orlando gets that kind of attention?  UO's marketing team must be trying to get people to book their vacation time before anything else catches their attention lol

57 minutes ago, UsherBscary said:

Im all for getting the news as early as possible.  Just seems funny that theyre sliding these releases earlier and earlier, what other event in Orlando gets that kind of attention?  UO's marketing team must be trying to get people to book their vacation time before anything else catches their attention lol

I'd imagine that part of it is the fact that they're going after the UK hardcore w/r/t HHN advertising now, and they generally have to plan their vacations on a longer curve.

3 hours ago, hunnylvr said:

Notice the month of May last year was an information wasteland.  I hope that's not true this year.  

Strange, I thought the information wasteland was in June because of the shooting.  I guess I remembered wrong.

5 hours ago, _Veritas_ said:

I personally think that the Director, Usher, Fear, and Bloody Mary have got to be the most underutilized icons Universal has. What's more, they have the potential to make for great pairings. We now have this Jack and Chance duo dynamic, but those four could make for some really interesting partners, or cohorts, or whatever the hell you want to call the relationship.

The one I ship the most would be to see an Usher and Director team up. Come on, it's practically begging to happen. One makes movies, one works at the cinema where they show them. With Universal now going IP heavy, it just makes the most sense story wise. With Fear and BM - Fear is this demon that's  purpose is to terrify every living thing, and throughout 2008's marketing Mary made it clear that people's fear gives her strength- so there's a connection there. 

Well that's the thing though, Usher, Director and Bloody Mary and Fear and really good storylines but the thing is, Bloody Mary will not ever be used at the event ever due to copyright reasons that Universal does not want no part in. It sucks, as for Paulo, Julian and Fear himself, everyone wants to see Paulo and Julian in a dual park dual event in just one park catered to both of their love of horror films, it works but also you have to imagine that there are probably other things Universal's creative has plans for, plus marketing and comcast would get involved at any chance to get a final say what they want coming to the event, icons they could care less for, they just know that the icons will bring tourists along with the ips but who knows, The Director and Usher make a great team but I don't think Universal is wanting to do the dual thing because that would have to involve Islands at some point but they had not touched Islands since 2005, from 2006 on its all be in the regular park itself, so. Fear, I think Universal wants to wait a while or maybe not, I mean his backstory was great but it wasn't up to what people expected, he was great in promos and billboards and the hype for him was great but when the event started, he was just used as one big photo op in 20 Years of Fear, we'd thought we were going to get an origin house like 19 with Julian and 18 with Bloody Mary's, so Fear is missing some of those key things but I think Universal is really trying to focus on what they could do with what they've got, and that's pretty much reboot, they started with Jack and Chance at 25 because they are the Joker and Harley Quinn of Horror Nights but Jack was their first ever created icon, it would make sense if they bring Caretaker back next year and from there, Director and on excluding Bloody Mary sadly 

5 hours ago, hunnylvr said:

So because I hate waiting, I went back through the threads from HHN26 to see when the house announcements were made.  I had to laugh because the first house announced was on 4/14/16, and the comment was that was the earliest a thread for a house was ever started.  So, we already beat that this year with the AHS announcement happening on 3/29/17.

I'd love to know what you all think about this.  Since we received our first house announcement over two weeks earlier than our first one last year, can we hope to get earlier announcements on all the houses this year?  Here was last year's list:

TCM         4/14/16

Exorcist    4/26/16

TWD        6/3/16

Chance     6/9/16

Halloween 7/7/16

Krampus   8/4/16

Tomb       8/6/16

Ghost       8/10/16

AHS         8/16/16

Well that's the thing, last year they gave some houses then revealed Chance and then concluded with announcing the other houses, but since now they start early, we might definitely see something maybe by the end of this month or the beginning of next month, they always save the scarezones, shows and will pick a random day like they did last year, but also I think they are trying to make this year very safe from leaks, as you could see Hollywood isn't kinda doing so well with their year and still finishing as of today, Mike Aiello has been going from Orlando to Hollywood from time to time which means we will get a dual announcement coming soon, obviously, AHS was announced late for Hollywood because they are still in the ending process of their event as we are, Patrick and Mike I feel definitely throw some more hints our ways as the time draws near. :) 

4 hours ago, RevFreako said:

I'd imagine that part of it is the fact that they're going after the UK hardcore w/r/t HHN advertising now, and they generally have to plan their vacations on a longer curve.

That but also, since the event is running on more nights than ever before, they definitely need to start generating money and revenue because I don't think they want a repeat of last year where the event sorta died down when they had those extra dates for Nov. and the whole Hurricane Matthew situation which I think kind of affected them a bit as it did for Disney as well. They are also still working on the other passes for the event like Frequent Fear pass and RIP tours and stuff even the Ultimate Frequent Fear pass that debuted last year, they really wanna bring in tourists this year.

5 hours ago, UsherBscary said:

Well they have to start making announcements earlier because they need to keep people locked in to come to all 34 nights and along with other things like Volcano Bay is rumored to be opened around that time, so basically to get tourists to enjoy Universal in the daytime and coming for the nighttime events such HHN. If you go to the website, you see all the deals that they are already have lined up for the time being for the event and there will probably be more in the coming months. 

1 hour ago, Ecto_Freak said:

We need NEW icons not past icons.. I thought this was the number one Halloween event in the USA?

As much as we want new stuff, new icons, all original event and stuff, it won't happen due to marketing, A&D tries to make the icon the big theme and presenter of everything but then you got Comcast and co. that want the event to really bring more for just the ips than anything. I'm up for anything new as well anything old but the way things are now, it seems like they are rebooting the entire event and just reusing the icons that were never given any lime light, you think about it, Jack has hosted more of Horror Nights than Caretaker and the others, so of course were bound to see the old icons, so everything is somewhat balanced out, were also different Hollywood, Hollywood has nothing but ips and only original scares with some ips like Purge last year. Were lucky that they aren't taking over the streets and shows as much because even though I love ips, I love the originals abit more. Also the icons like Eddie or Cindy, probably will never get their chance if not Cindy then probably Eddie would, but A&D is involved with that stuff and Comcast and co. are the ones that must approve it, so really saying you want new icons, its understandable, but they can't do something without having to go to the higher ups for their approval of what can and can't get sadly 

17 hours ago, hunnylvr said:

TCM         4/14/16

Exorcist    4/26/16

TWD        6/3/16

Chance     6/9/16

Halloween 7/7/16

Krampus   8/4/16

Tomb       8/6/16

Ghost       8/10/16

AHS         8/16/16

Did you happen to notice when ticket options were announced?

51 minutes ago, N i c k said:

Did you happen to notice when ticket options were announced?

I did not.  This research was actually rather easy to do because as soon as a house is announced, one of the moderators here starts a thread for that house.  So, all I had to do was go to the Houses section for HHN 26 and see what date the thread for each house started.

I thought ALL the ticket options were rather late last year - like not until they announced everything which would've been mid-August with the AHS announcement.  I went back and looked thru my credit card statements, and that seems to confirm those dates because I normally get my tickets the day they go on sale.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheLadyGator said:

Does anyone have a list of what the "codenames" were for past HHN houses and what they ended up being? I can't seem to find that anywhere online. 

The few I can remember off the top of my head are:

-Halloween: "Captain"

-Halloween 2: "Pumpkin"

-Lunatics' Asylum: "ABBA"

-Tomb of the Ancients: "Cobweb"

-Freddy vs Jason: "Round 2"

-Run: Blood, Sweat, and Fears: "Spandex"

28 minutes ago, TheLadyGator said:

Does anyone have a list of what the "codenames" were for past HHN houses and what they ended up being? I can't seem to find that anywhere online. 

Some HHN 24 codenames I remember are

Evac - AVP
Charlie - Dollhouse of The Damned
Crows  - Roanoke Cannibal Colony

Ritual - Bayou of Blood
Synergy - Dracula Untold 
Smile - Giggles N Gore 

1 minute ago, HorrorUnearthed said:

Some HHN 24 codenames I remember are

Evac - AVP
Charlie - Dollhouse of The Damned
Crows  - Roanoke Cannibal Colony

Ritual - Bayou of Blood
Synergy - Dracula Untold 
Smile - Giggles N Gore 

29 minutes ago, TheLadyGator said:

HHN 25 codenames were: 

Round 2 - FVJ
Blizzard - Body Collectors
Harry - AWIL

Reboot -  would have been Scream if it had came to the event 
Beyond - Insidious
Dynasty - Jack's 25 Years of Monsters and Mayhem
Spandex - RUN 

Shrek Party - Asylum In Wonderland 3D 

Dinner - TWD 

16 minutes ago, Ringwraith said:

I'm so tired of the same old ones, that I'm actually developing the backstory to an original icon to eventually pitch.

I'm up for new icons but it seems like that is not the direction A&D is going yet, they had Fate and they had Crowe both were new and they got rid of them immediately because they match their to the events they were Fate was for 21 and Crowe for 18, so its not that they don't wanna do new ones, its just with the old icons, the nostalgia is there but also if you had Jack hosting 5 events, 2000, 2001, 2006 with the other icons, 2007 & 2015, you know, you gotta balanced the other icons, it will all make sense why they are going this route, if it is to make HHN 30 really special by bringing back the Terra Queen from HHN 15, to complete the cycle, its understandable, but then again, we don't know if we will get a new icon or an old one, we just gotta sit back and wait, eventually they'll throw us a few teases along the way to have our minds running with nothing but thoughts but for the time being, its just silent from Patrick and Mike atm. 

22 hours ago, hunnylvr said:

TCM         4/14/16

Exorcist    4/26/16

TWD        6/3/16

Chance     6/9/16

Halloween 7/7/16

Krampus   8/4/16

Tomb       8/6/16

Ghost       8/10/16

AHS         8/16/16

My guess is at least one more house announced this month, and I'd be willing to take a step a little further and say it'd either be (despite ya'll's feelings) TWD or The Mummy. I could be wrong, and probably am- but with the Mummy coming out soon, they could be use that as some extra promotion. And... if it's TWD (if it's returning, or FTWD if they're going that route) they could just be "ripping off a band-aid" by announcing it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, _Veritas_ said:

My guess is at least one more house announced this month, and I'd be willing to take a step a little further and say it'd either be (despite ya'll's feelings) TWD or The Mummy. I could be wrong, and probably am- but with the Mummy coming out soon, they could be use that as some extra promotion. And... if it's TWD (if it's returning, or FTWD if they're going that route) they could just be "ripping off a band-aid" by announcing it. 

I hear what you mean, TWD would return but as a year round attraction, its haunted house status is over with, AHS has basically taken its place, The Mummy I feel might also come to the event because its a Universal Property and Universal tends to promote something that is by them, for example Krampus last year, if so, we could see Trick R Treat this year, but I could be assuming but anyways, I love the trailer for the new film, I could understand people didn't like the Dracula Untold film and I will agree it wasn't as any good, Universal though must do it for promotional reasons, then again after the reaction the maze back at 2014, they might change their minds, we just gotta wait and see. Fear The Walking Dead on the other hand is not as popular as the main show, even though its just been renewed for a 4th season I believe, its not something I don't see Universal doing. 

What this event could use is a dual function house that can be used in the daytime and nighttime during horror nights. Perhaps one side could be closed off and it can have a different feel during the day than it does at night because it's a hybrid maze. It'll get some day guests to get excited about the event and possibly stir up some extra cash for those that haven't purchased tickets for the event just yet. Also, it could make those die hard HHN fans purchase day tickets just to experience the difference.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ringwraith said:

What this event could use is a dual function house that can be used in the daytime and nighttime during horror nights. Perhaps one side could be closed off and it can have a different feel during the day than it does at night because it's a hybrid maze. It'll get some day guests to get excited about the event and possibly stir up some extra cash for those that haven't purchased tickets for the event just yet. Also, it could make those die hard HHN fans purchase day tickets just to experience the difference.

I like that idea, HHN did some dual houses back then, and they looked and seemed really fun by the looks of people that experienced it back in the day, now with stuff going, you have to think about where they would put it, I mean it could work as a really cool extreme house if that's what you mean, in that case I would definitely try it, it could be like RUN different from many of the predecessors if not RUN, something very scary that you could expect from HHN but different take on horror you know, something that takes you out of your element immediately the moment you walk into the house. 

I feel like if they go the duel Icon route, they need to divide it between the parks. Give The Usher IoA and the Director UO. Create a "generational" scarezone connecting the two parks. Give the Usher older IP's like the rumored It house. Give the Director newer IP's like AHS. Create Scarezones based on the different overall theme of the park. IoA would get older SZ's, maybe even revamping some of the older SZ's used in the years past. Give the Director's side more modern SZ's with high tech elements. Finally, give each side shows. Move Bill and Ted (it's not technically modern and considered a classic) over to the Toon Lagoon Theater. Put Academy of Villains (if they are coming back) in the Fear Factor Theater. 

With the right selection of classic and modern horror elements, this idea could work really well. It HAS to be an equal balance though. Give each park 5 houses and 3 zones plus the connecting zone. They also need to spread them out a little more even so all the houses at UO are not just right at the front of the park. Also, they need to really stick to the Icons and which park they own. Only sell Usher merch in IoA and only Director merch in UO. Create different themed drinks with a different blinky cup design for each park. Basically create as many reasons as possible to get people moving around both parks to help spread everything out. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Badge said:

I feel like if they go the duel Icon route, they need to divide it between the parks. Give The Usher IoA and the Director UO. Create a "generational" scarezone connecting the two parks. Give the Usher older IP's like the rumored It house. Give the Director newer IP's like AHS. Create Scarezones based on the different overall theme of the park. IoA would get older SZ's, maybe even revamping some of the older SZ's used in the years past. Give the Director's side more modern SZ's with high tech elements. Finally, give each side shows. Move Bill and Ted (it's not technically modern and considered a classic) over to the Toon Lagoon Theater. Put Academy of Villains (if they are coming back) in the Fear Factor Theater. 

With the right selection of classic and modern horror elements, this idea could work really well. It HAS to be an equal balance though. Give each park 5 houses and 3 zones plus the connecting zone. They also need to spread them out a little more even so all the houses at UO are not just right at the front of the park. Also, they need to really stick to the Icons and which park they own. Only sell Usher merch in IoA and only Director merch in UO. Create different themed drinks with a different blinky cup design for each park. Basically create as many reasons as possible to get people moving around both parks to help spread everything out. 

I like your idea but the thing is, the traffic with Islands, they haven't used Islands since 2005, also they are not authorized to put houses in areas like Seuss Island and The Harry Potter areas, ikr, its ridiculous but there's not much they can do with Islands, I mean the last time there was a scarezone in Marvel, Marvel I believe wasn't keen on what HHN did by "killing the heroes and having them take over the island", they didn't like that, so Universal would be in more hot water if they do such a thing again. The only place they have atm is the main park, now they could probably put certain things in Islands but then again, the dual idea would be dried, I mean they tried the idea first back at HHN 11 and then scrapped but reused it the following for Caretaker, then after that 13, 14 and finally 15 happened at the park, so it could be possible but then, with the congestion now going on at the park, would they even do it? Usher and Director deserve a great year together but they would be probably sharing the zones and stuff, I mean Director shooting a film that he wants to "usher" audience into seeing at the old Universal Palace Theatre, it would work for both Usher and Director with both using the classics and modern horror films to their disposal and about the merch, I think they would really have it at the main park since now they actually have a building that could make as an official HHN shop for all HHN memorabilia, both icons deserve the same amount of respect and I don't think Universal wants to split them in different places you know, look at HHN 16 where the 4 Icons, well I should say three because Storyteller really wasn't an icon and more of a mascot of HHN 15, but they shared the year, in one park and the scarezones were directed to all their likings, so that's a directive route that Universal could go with that, we wouldn't see them doing a show, I would love to see them bring back the old screen, I mean the medallions are awesome to see but the ole pre-videos screen that would play outside of the park to get you intrigued in what you were about to see inside, that was a great thing about the archway, I hope they bring it back in the future, but they would work with queues for Director and Usher back to back with also previews of the mazes and such, it work perfectly well to the event. And the Academy of Villains if they come back, are probably going to be on the same stage in the same area because that's where the first stage of Fright Nights stage for Thunderdome was. Its an iconic area for HHN, so of course they wouldn't move the stage anywhere else, I mean traffic around the areas is gonna be crazy no matter what, I could imagine AHS is going to have the longest wait time this year as last year, through and through though, if there is any plans for Director or Usher, one of them would probably be the icon this year, last year seemed like it could have been catered to The Director due to Michael Myers and Leatherface, and the modern and cult horror stuff, so keep your fingers cross, if they don't come this year, there are sure to be due a separate icon event. :) 

• Gambit pinned this topic
  • Mark M. locked and unpinned this topic