HHN 27 Speculation

hhnfan95

1 hour ago, Grits0808 said:

If I remember correctly, the caretaker sings that rhyme in the HHN Sweet 16 Video that the Director made. 

Maybe the Icon is The Caretaker and/or Cindy? 

You are correct. I can't find a vid with good audio, but it does sound like he says "Time to kill a mocking bird". 

If those tweets are indeed clues, I must change my guess. Caretaker would be the most likely icon. 

• Like 3

Shinning

I have only seen the film version, and without having read the book I can say that the film is one of the best films I have ever watched, even with the film there is no reason to go into his mind. You could have little girls, the hotel room, Bat on the stairs, elevator of blood, bathroom/ghosts in the bar, "Here's Johny!" the dead bodies of the guy who tried to help and the chase through the hotel, and several hedge maze scenes. I also think that it is pointless arguing because movie is what we would get, and it isn't even close to confirmed.

Icon

As for my current prediction, I think Caretaker is now most likely again for one reason more then what people are saying. Its not exactly hidden how much the horror nights community crosses over with the wrestling community. And given how wrestlemania went, I think we might see Caretaker as a tribute to his clear inspiration since his inspiration is in a way dead, like how we saw TCM after Leatherface died.

6 hours ago, mystiquephreeq said:

You are correct. I can't find a vid with good audio, but it does sound like he says "Time to kill a mocking bird". 

If those tweets are indeed clues, I must change my guess. Caretaker would be the most likely icon. 

This is the video I was referring to and the only one I could find with good audio. I thought he says "buy you a mocking bird"... Ofcourse, this is if the tweet would be taken seriously as a clue...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jediwhit82 said:

Shinning

I have only seen the film version, and without having read the book I can say that the film is one of the best films I have ever watched, even with the film there is no reason to go into his mind. You could have little girls, the hotel room, Bat on the stairs, elevator of blood, bathroom/ghosts in the bar, "Here's Johny!" the dead bodies of the guy who tried to help and the chase through the hotel, and several hedge maze scenes. I also think that it is pointless arguing because movie is what we would get, and it isn't even close to confirmed.

Icon

As for my current prediction, I think Caretaker is now most likely again for one reason more then what people are saying. Its not exactly hidden how much the horror nights community crosses over with the wrestling community. And given how wrestlemania went, I think we might see Caretaker as a tribute to his clear inspiration since his inspiration is in a way dead, like how we saw TCM after Leatherface died.

As far as the bar/bathroom scenes go, would Grady be popping out from behind the stalls? The blood elevator, as previously mentioned, would probably be a projection. It'd be so awesome if they found a more creative way to do that, but yeah.

Oh, and don't forget about the bear suit. While they couldn't include a certain implied part of that scene, that was to me the scariest scene in the movie.

Edited by OhHaiInternet95
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jediwhit82 said:

the dead bodies of the guy who tried to help

Do you mean Dick Halloran? The cook/chef who mentions The Shining to Danny?

Quick King trivia: Dick Halloran directly links The Shining to IT. 

Considering the the recent trailer for IT, it's a safe bet that Dick Halloran's connection to IT will be in the new movie.

If Halloran dies in the Shining movie, that's another major difference between the movie and the novel. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mystiquephreeq said:

Do you mean Dick Halloran? The cook/chef who mentions The Shining to Danny?

Quick King trivia: Dick Halloran directly links The Shining to IT. 

Considering the the recent trailer for IT, it's a safe bet that Dick Halloran's connection to IT will be in the new movie.

If Halloran dies in the Shining movie, that's another major difference between the movie and the novel. 

He does take an axe to the gut.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mystiquephreeq said:

My mind must have blocked that out. The novel takes precedence. 

Hallorann (I just realized that my autocorrect changed the spelling) survives in the novel. He plays a pivotal teaching role in Doctor Sleep. 

I really need to read Doctor Sleep... Also, Hallorann's cameo in "It" is arguably one of my favorite parts of the novel.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Itsjosie said:

I really need to read Doctor Sleep... Also, Hallorann's cameo in "It" is arguably one of my favorite parts of the novel.

He's not on many pages in Doctor Sleep, but he has an important role. 

The connections between The Shining and It further speculations regarding house potentials. 

It is the far more logical house with the movie releasing on Sept 8. Both The Shining and It appearing at the event would help answer questions as to why King would relent to The Shining. 

I'm not sure how clear cut the rights to The Shining are. King could still have some pull. He still owns the work. He has made another movie based on the novel. He had to give permission for a recent stage production of The Shining. The waters are murky on this one. Then there's the question as to whether or not it makes business sense to alienate a master of horror by circumventing him to obtain rights to a work based on his material that he has vehemently criticized. 

22 hours ago, mystiquephreeq said:

For some reason it took this post to register the hush, hush part of the initial post. 

Hush little baby, don't say a word

Mama's gonna buy you a mockingbird

Why the nursery rhyme/lullaby?

If it is related to the potentiality of an icon, then I would have to say the icon is female. If it's a past icon, only one works: Elsa Strict. 

But...

If it's the trend of a past character standing alone, then Cindy fits. 

I am really kinda shocked that people didn't instantly think of The Caretaker. Also kinda surprised people had to go searching for him saying the "Hush little baby" line considering this line was repeated over and over again just 2 years ago at HHN 25 during the kill on his mini-stage. He says it at the 0:51 mark. If that twitter user is to be believed and is hinting at things to come, using that line is a dead give away. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Badge said:

I am really kinda shocked that people didn't instantly think of The Caretaker. Also kinda surprised people had to go searching for him saying the "Hush little baby" line considering this line was repeated over and over again just 2 years ago at HHN 25 during the kill on his mini-stage. He says it at the 0:51 mark. If that twitter user is to be believed and is hinting at things to come, using that line is a dead give away. 

I honestly associate him with "eenie meenie miney moe" more than "Hush Little Baby".

15 hours ago, Grits0808 said:

This is the video I was referring to and the only one I could find with good audio. I thought he says "buy you a mocking bird"... Ofcourse, this is if the tweet would be taken seriously as a clue...

I am ashamed to say, I do not think I have ever seen this.  Thank you for posting it!!  I realize you were posting for a reason, but it totally made my day.   16 was only my second year attending, and it was for a single weekend, so I am sure I missed much.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2017 at 11:59 PM, Grits0808 said:

He also used the phrase in the Icons SZ in 2015.

11 hours ago, Badge said:

^ Beat me to it lol

On 4/4/2017 at 4:40 PM, hunnylvr said:

ANNDDDDDD, here we go.

I guess I won't be childish and say you're being an asshat again.

I'll do it if you won't.

On 4/2/2017 at 11:51 PM, mystiquephreeq said:

They did a room full of scarabs in one of the mummy houses. Simulating wasps in a room wouldn't be difficult. Both simply rely upon appropriate sounds and some crunchy floor material.

I think the xenomorphs and the wolf from AWIL are excellent examples of how one could successful pull of hedge lions. 

My opinion is probably rare for those who are not King fanatics. I'm sure hunnylvr will whole-heartedly agree with me. 

I saw the movie before I read the book. My feelings toward the movie don't stem from a book before movie perspective, but a feeling of being cheated by the movie when I finally read the book. The books imagery and handling of Jack's downward spiral is far superior. The influence of the hotel is in greater evidence. The portrayals of Danny and Wendy in the movie fundamentally alter the characters. Kubrik's interpretation places emphasis on insanity. It doesn't walk the line of mental instability caused and influenced by the hotel. The Overlook is the antagonist of the Shining. Not Jack Torrance.

For me, it's this simple: Book-Jack is a sane man driven mad by (house? ghosts? booze? you decide), while movie-Jack is nutso from the first frame - that's not nearly as interesting a story. 

I mean the obvious chauvinist and button pushing comment aside, the argument that women don't make for scary antagonist is entirely subjective. Some of the most unsettling movies I've seen were the Grudge and The Ring. Both of which are a.) eastern and b.) Ghosts. Oddly enough, menacing ghosts in movies are very often female. Not sure what the connection is there.

Eastern cultures tend to gravitate towards female antagonist and they freak me out pretty heavily (Kuchisake-onna comes to mind). The rare exception in the West (Baby Firefly) comes along but mostly it's run by males. Mostly I blame Hollywood for this stereotype.

The western Patriarchal society tends to see strong men as the major antagonist with the women as the damsel in distress. But that is slowly shifting. The irony of this is, I imagine, those who don't find women as a scary antagonist would, if you can manage, flip and find it extremely scary if you could manage to subvert their expectations. So it would behoove the stale industry to find ways to make women scary to chauvinists... and well just subvert the norm. Horror is about unpredictability after all. 

Maybe I should do a show on it. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

I cant go this year. I don't know why I come here to read all this. Its torture and there is only one thing announced already. I hope this is the worst year ever..... I dont mean that. Dammit.

WHY?   God, I'd be crushed.. not to rub it in.  I feel awful for ya, neighbor

35 minutes ago, hunnylvr said:

WHY?   God, I'd be crushed.. not to rub it in.  I feel awful for ya, neighbor

LOL thanks.... wife just had a baby boy 8 days ago. So between last week and the week at Disney in Feb I'm all out off vacay time and money! First time in a decade we'll miss. And yes, crushed is a great word for it. Damn kids ruining everything!!!!!

• Gambit pinned this topic
  • Mark M. locked and unpinned this topic