American Horror Story

King_K.

I've done this house 8 times at this point, and watched Murder House, enough of Freak Show to recognize the scenes/characters, but not Hotel. And while by no means is the house bad, I can't say I favor it as much as many seem to.

Scenically, it is of course very well done. I have my issues with scene choice, but that's not a knock on the impeccable attention to detail, layout, length, and costumes/makeup. The choice to start in the basement of the Murder House rather than building a full facade for the house was a neat idea I think. There are some decent scares, including the Pig bathroom, the build up to Freak Show scene, the guy with the mustache within the tent (no idea what his name is haha), the second twisty, the first hallway of Hotel, and the first appearance of Angela Basset's character in Hotel.

However, those are the only parts of the house I fully enjoy. The choice to make damn near every scare timed to a WAY too frequent audio cue that gives the actors no room to really perform effective scares really deters the scare factor of the house. For instance, the maids. You stand in that hallway for at most 15 seconds, but that's still enough time to see that whole scene a solid 3+ times. It's very tiring and makes the scene annoying rather than scary, imo (This is a major complaint I have about nearly all of the houses this year). Also, the audio cues that were chosen are very peculiar choices. Yes, they demonstrate scenes from the show and that's cool, but it seems storytelling was chosen in favor of scare factor in this house, and that's a choice I don't agree with.  "I'll soak them in ammonia to refresh these things" is the weirdest audio cue I've ever heard in a haunted house. 

Having the finale be a blank room with 2 Twitsys and mirrors is probably the dumbest decision made in this house. I understand why they would choose to end with the most well known character, but THAT's the best you could come up with? Comes off as lazy to me. Unmemorable opening and ending scene makes the house suffer even greater.

I wouldn't rank it as the worst house this year, as I do still enjoy what they built. It's just not what I was anticipating, so I can't help being a little dissapointed. I fully believe we will see AHS again next year, and will still look forward to seeing how they handle Asylum, Coven (The season I've wanted in a house since it debuted), and Roanoke (which is very promising so far. MEEEEAT). 

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:42 PM, foREVer56 said:

and Roanoke (which is very promising so far. MEEEEAT). 

It's taken me a few episodes this season to get past the whole Crime 360 interview and "dramatic reenactments" layout.  But now I'm really liking the storyline and getting into it.  Reading your "meeeat" quote....that keeps popping in my head when watching episodes this season.  If I do another HHN survey, in the open comment section I'm going to state that if they include My Roanoke Nightmare at HHN 27, do NOT, under any circumstance, recycle audio from Roanoke Cannibal Colony!!

On 10/10/2016 at 6:42 PM, foREVer56 said:

However, those are the only parts of the house I fully enjoy. The choice to make damn near every scare timed to a WAY too frequent audio cue that gives the actors no room to really perform effective scares really deters the scare factor of the house. For instance, the maids. You stand in that hallway for at most 15 seconds, but that's still enough time to see that whole scene a solid 3+ times. It's very tiring and makes the scene annoying rather than scary, imo (This is a major complaint I have about nearly all of the houses this year). Also, the audio cues that were chosen are very peculiar choices. Yes, they demonstrate scenes from the show and that's cool, but it seems storytelling was chosen in favor of scare factor in this house, and that's a choice I don't agree with.  "I'll soak them in ammonia to refresh these things" is the weirdest audio cue I've ever heard in a haunted house. 

Having the finale be a blank room with 2 Twitsys and mirrors is probably the dumbest decision made in this house. I understand why they would choose to end with the most well known character, but THAT's the best you could come up with? Comes off as lazy to me. Unmemorable opening and ending scene makes the house suffer even greater.

Absolutely agree.

On 10/10/2016 at 3:42 PM, foREVer56 said:

I've done this house 8 times at this point, and watched Murder House, enough of Freak Show to recognize the scenes/characters, but not Hotel. And while by no means is the house bad, I can't say I favor it as much as many seem to.

Scenically, it is of course very well done. I have my issues with scene choice, but that's not a knock on the impeccable attention to detail, layout, length, and costumes/makeup. The choice to start in the basement of the Murder House rather than building a full facade for the house was a neat idea I think. There are some decent scares, including the Pig bathroom, the build up to Freak Show scene, the guy with the mustache within the tent (no idea what his name is haha), the second twisty, the first hallway of Hotel, and the first appearance of Angela Basset's character in Hotel.

I wouldn't rank it as the worst house this year, as I do still enjoy what they built. It's just not what I was anticipating, so I can't help being a little dissapointed. I fully believe we will see AHS again next year, and will still look forward to seeing how they handle Asylum, Coven (The season I've wanted in a house since it debuted), and Roanoke (which is very promising so far. MEEEEAT). 

The blank room could've been a good easter egg for Asylum & Coven with Bloody Face, and both the Minotaur & Axeman jump scaring people.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Mark M. changed the title to American Horror Story