American Horror Story

King_K.

AHS fans will probably leave this one feeling a little tingly in their nether regions. It's an absolutely amazing interpretation of the three seasons used. 

As a house, it's actually pretty good. The scares are nice and the sets are attractive. I'd take this over TWD any day. 

I know when that hotline bling.

• Like 2

9/16/2016

I think they did a great job recreating the vibe of all three seasons and casting the look-alikes. It's a good looking house with some impressive set pieces. The scares are a little on the light side (for me). It's hard to feel threatened by characters that you've gotten to know and understand through the seasons. It's more of a theatrical experience to appreciate and marvel at. Walking into the show, recognizing iconic scenes is half the fun. If you are not an AHS fan, you'll miss out on that aspect of the house. You'll still have a good time but it won't be as great of an experience if you don't know what's going on. The scares should improve a bit with time as the performers continue to work on their timing and technique. Wish some of the more "menacing" side characters were featured more prominently to increase the intensity of the house but I enjoyed it, nonetheless. 

4 out of 5 

• Like 1

I hit this on Saturday (missed it Friday) and was blown away.  I've seen Season 1 and 5 so I knew those.  But Saturday was such a less crowded atmosphere than Friday that it was to the point where it seemed like pulsed lines.  Had no one in front of us.  Timed every scare.  Well, not timed, just got them because no one was in front.  Amazing sets.  The resemblance of the actors to the show characters was great.  Some looked so much like GaGa it was uncanny.  One part that I was hoping for but then I thought was a missed opportunity:

I thought the mattress "thing" from Hotel was really freaky in the show.  And he only appeared maybe twice in the season.  I was hoping

it would be in there.  And it was!  Even better, it came out of a mattress!!  But wtf?  Out crawls someone with zero make-up on??!?  Almost like a scareactor took a short cut.  I hope this was one of those where they'll add a costume or make-up as we move forward.

But I was really blown away by this house.  And it seemed to go on and on and on.

I've watched all but the 5th season of AHS. Overall, I enjoyed the house.  Will try to catch Season 5 before I return in a couple weeks so I can *get* the rooms for that season a little better.  Agree they did a great job with the casting.

Take this with a grain of salt, as I always do: but if you're arriving at gates open and see the wait time for this house being uncharacteristically long, it's supposedly on purpose.  My friend is in the Vamp '55 zone and, according to him, his stage manager said they post an artificially high AHS wait time at the start to encourage people go to other houses first.  The reasoning is that with its location serving as the house most would go into first, this time trick would help move people to other houses and then circle back.  HHN up to its Jedi mind tricks again.

And as if to prove my point...I'm here at 6:30p and AHS wait time reads 120 min.

Edited by Pandry
I went in just after that post. My express wait was 10 minutes and I asked a few people who were about to enter, that were in the standby line, how long they waited and they said about 30 minutes.

I liked this house ok. Due to lines I only went through once. The first half was solid and I got some good scares. Second half, I kept walking in as soon as the vignettes were ending. It was a gorgeous house though, and captured the different seasons beautifully. 

14 hours ago, faceleg said:

I liked this house ok. Due to lines I only went through once. The first half was solid and I got some good scares. Second half, I kept walking in as soon as the vignettes were ending. It was a gorgeous house though, and captured the different seasons beautifully. 

What did you think of:

"mattress dude?"  If they'd dress him up like the character in the show, that would be extremely eerie. Not sure why they haven't.

11 hours ago, Pandry said:

What did you think of:

Hide contents

"mattress dude?"  If they'd dress him up like the character in the show, that would be extremely eerie. Not sure why they haven't.

Yeah, I thought it was weird that he didn't even have any makeup or anything. 

Edited by faceleg

14 hours ago, faceleg said:

Yeah, I thought it was weird that he didn't even have any makeup or anything. 

He actually does have makeup on. he has welt like bruises on him and some light makeup to make him more pale. He use to have a mouthpiece that made his teeth and gums look a little red but I think they did away with that. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Doctor Cogstein said:

He actually does have makeup on. he has welt like bruises on him and some light makeup to make him more pale. He use to have a mouthpiece that made his teeth and gums look a little red but I think they did away with that. 

Ah ok. With the conga line I didn't get a great look at him, I saw him reset and barely start to come out again when I was almost out of the room. I barely even got to see Hypodermic Sally. 

Also, can I just say that whoever is playing Amazon Eve is a seriously gorgeous guy? I mean he has makeup on so it helps, but still. 

On 9/29/2016 at 1:54 PM, Pandry said:

Take this with a grain of salt, as I always do: but if you're arriving at gates open and see the wait time for this house being uncharacteristically long, it's supposedly on purpose.  My friend is in the Vamp '55 zone and, according to him, his stage manager said they post an artificially high AHS wait time at the start to encourage people go to other houses first.  The reasoning is that with its location serving as the house most would go into first, this time trick would help move people to other houses and then circle back.  HHN up to its Jedi mind tricks again.

This wouldn't be the first time HHN has done this. In 2014 I repeatedly went through TWD and compared the wait time posted to the actual time spent in line, and found that it was consistently claiming much higher times than there actually were every night. It got to the point where a 120 minute wait time was being posted for a line that was only 20 minutes.

Having been through AHS twice so far, it's said 45 once and 90 the other and both times the wait was 15-20 minutes. A good way to tell is to enter the queue and look at the switchbacks inside the soundstage. If about half or 3/4 of the soundstage is full, the wait is only about 20 minutes or so from that point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, criticalanalysis said:

wew lol...if there's every been a horror IP I hated it is this one.

Why am I not shocked?

This house was #1 on our list, hands-down, no brainer.  I think they did an EXCELLENT job with it, and I cannot wait to get back to go thru again and again.  The sets are gorgeous, and the actors they have are spot on.  I was convinced for several days that I had actually seen Lady Gaga.

Thanks for the info on the artificial wait times because I was getting pissed that it seemed like we never had a shot to get thru this house more than once per night.  Every other house, we can wait to use express until later so we can go through twice (though some aren't worth it even once - I'm talking to Walking Dead.. and Chance's house).  Next time we go, I'll have to pay more attention and see if we can play the time game.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2016 at 9:36 AM, criticalanalysis said:

wew lol...if there's every been a horror IP I hated it is this one.

Alright, let's hear it.  I do respect your opinions and more times than not, agree with them.  You're our Simon Cowell. You give it straight.

Have you watched the series? I've been through 4 times so far and every run was amazing. And I totally agree with Hunnylvr - I was sure Lady Gaga did a cameo in there!

I liked TWD house, too.  Everything is backwards this year.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2016 at 2:09 PM, Pandry said:

Alright, let's hear it.  I do respect your opinions and more times than not, agree with them.  You're our Simon Cowell. You give it straight.

Have you watched the series? I've been through 4 times so far and every run was amazing. And I totally agree with Hunnylvr - I was sure Lady Gaga did a cameo in there!

I liked TWD house, too.  Everything is backwards this year.

Thanks for the support :) I'll post a review within a few days. I've watched some of the series and hate it .

On 10/8/2016 at 4:48 PM, Psycho_Bates said:

If they added Asylum or Coven instead of Freakshow wonder if AHS Freakshow would make a good scarezone with the AHS maze in the same location as Freakshow?

Coven and Asylum will be in the next version of this house.

I don't think this IP will ever be able to become a SZ because there is too much stipulation on what the actors look like. In a SZ you are really able to see their look and so the SA portraying each role would have to be even more similar to the character from the show.

• Mark M. changed the title to American Horror Story