The Repository (Upcharge/VR Experience)

King_K.

For this price? I'd never think of doing such a thing. Though I'm all for new technology being implemented into houses, this is just too much for me. It seems like a cash grab and even though I'm assuming they worked real hard on this, virtual scares can't beat real scares. Sorry to say.

• Like 1

Do we know officially how long the whole thing is? If I had to guess, I'd say 30 minutes, but I'd laugh if it was only like 15 minutes or so.

The added $50 price probably wouldn't seem quite as bad if they hadn't already jacked up the ticket prices too. This year they seem to be going all out with the $ grabbing. I seriously hope they don't continue the trend of price increases next year. 

1 hour ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

Do we know officially how long the whole thing is? If I had to guess, I'd say 30 minutes, but I'd laugh if it was only like 15 minutes or so.

The added $50 price probably wouldn't seem quite as bad if they hadn't already jacked up the ticket prices too. This year they seem to be going all out with the $ grabbing. I seriously hope they don't continue the trend of price increases next year. 

Sad to say, but if this becomes as popular as it I think it will be (and I know people are gonna hop in line for this) and people enjoy it, we might see something along the lines of it again. Like 3D houses. Let's hope not.

1 minute ago, SeaBass said:

Sad to say, but if this becomes as popular as it I think it will be (and I know people are gonna hop in line for this) and people enjoy it, we might see something along the lines of it again. Like 3D houses. Let's hope not.

I don't mind if they do it again next year. It would be nice if they chilled out with the price increases and possibly offered stuff like this during the whole event. They spent the money to put this VR thing together and because they supposedly got a late start they aren't offering it the first 2 weeks. That just seems ridiculous to me. Maybe the price could have been a little bit lower if they had those extra weeks factored into the budget. 

I've actually never used a vr headset. To be honest, I'm a little concerned about trying it because my eyes are somewhat sensitive to light. For those of you that have used a similar headset before, how bright is it on your eyes? 

2 hours ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

Watch it be just one  or two rooms lol

I'm probably going to give it a pass this year. IF people really love it, then they will bring it back and get all the bugs worked out for next year. It's a cool idea and I realize that if it was like $20 a person that tickets would sell out in a few days, but $50 just seems like overly too steep. I would also not consider this an "extreme house" considering the fact that it doesn't seem like people are going to actually be touching you or anything that really makes it "extreme".

I don't see it as going to be a full out extreme house, no touching will be involved I believe. I will be going on the 30th with 2 other people. What we are thinking as a group is that it will be part escape game, part VR, and part haunted house. My buddy said that on the phone they told him to save 90 minutes for the experience. Now what these 90 minutes entail, we have no idea. I also figure in my head that the whole experience will not be The Repository. Discovery cove tells you the dolphin experience takes about an hour, but your only in the water with the dolphins for about 15 minutes. I'm sure we will get some sort of briefing, and explanation about the technology and some backstory, hopefully LT is involved to make it feel more HHN, and probably sign some sort of waiver, and then we are sent on our way. My guess is that the time you are in the warehouse is somewhere between 30 and 40 minutes.

Edited by killswitch22

See the thing people need to remember is that this comes from the Creative team (TJ and Rick among others) and they have been working on this for years. I have been fortunate to experience all of the testing that the fans were lucky enough to get a chance to be part of the last 3 years and let me tell you, it is a very neat blend of technology, story telling and traditional haunted house elements. This is in no way the "Extreme" house that people are calling it. That is a throw back to 2003 and keeps coming up from time to time in fan spectulation. This is an all new (to the masses anyway) experience for 2016. Expect live sets, a few scare actors and heavy use of technology. What I experienced the past few years, particularly last year, was pretty damn cool and in spots delivered an experience that you simply can not get via going through a traditional HHN maze. I expect it to be about 30-45 minutes and the VR portion about 15 minutes. I suspect that much of the content will be what I have already seen, but I am ok with that because I want to see the full product delivered from the team. I hope that it will be an all new experience that will surprise me, but whatever the content, I am glad to support this as I believe in the Creative team and know that with their success in this area gives makes it more likely we see more original content at HHN. Given that, I really hope that the team have this experience bug free and seamless. For the $50 upcharge it has to be glitch free and go off without a hitch. Show your support guys and gals. This is a project of love by the masters and for the fans. The fact that UO gave them a budget says a lot. I can't wait for my session I booked for September 30th at 5pm.

• Like 5

Tim Tracker talked about this the other day. Now it's all not for sure until Uni posts it, but word is that it's a 90 min experience. 30 minutes though take up learning how to use the system.

Edit: This would also make sense because it's obviously interactive:

"while working together in teams of four to uncover a paranormal mystery told through the use of the cutting-edge technology"

Edited by Merlin

5 hours ago, F.U.B.A.R. said:

See the thing people need to remember is that this comes from the Creative team (TJ and Rick among others) and they have been working on this for years. I have been fortunate to experience all of the testing that the fans were lucky enough to get a chance to be part of the last 3 years and let me tell you, it is a very neat blend of technology, story telling and traditional haunted house elements. This is in no way the "Extreme" house that people are calling it. That is a throw back to 2003 and keeps coming up from time to time in fan spectulation. This is an all new (to the masses anyway) experience for 2016. Expect live sets, a few scare actors and heavy use of technology. What I experienced the past few years, particularly last year, was pretty damn cool and in spots delivered an experience that you simply can not get via going through a traditional HHN maze. I expect it to be about 30-45 minutes and the VR portion about 15 minutes. I suspect that much of the content will be what I have already seen, but I am ok with that because I want to see the full product delivered from the team. I hope that it will be an all new experience that will surprise me, but whatever the content, I am glad to support this as I believe in the Creative team and know that with their success in this area gives makes it more likely we see more original content at HHN. Given that, I really hope that the team have this experience bug free and seamless. For the $50 upcharge it has to be glitch free and go off without a hitch. Show your support guys and gals. This is a project of love by the masters and for the fans. The fact that UO gave them a budget says a lot. I can't wait for my session I booked for September 30th at 5pm.

I was just going to ask whether I was the only one who was lucky enough to test this already.  Last year was the most awesome experience yet, and it was these exact headsets.  I mentioned this on the discussion thread, but our minds were blown with what we experienced.  There was nothing "cheesy" or "gimmicky" about it.  It actually freaked me out a bit because it certainly feels very, very real.. and that was just in a "test" environment of sorts.  

I don't think $50 is too much for this experience - especially since they charge the same for scareactor dining.  Trust me, this will leave a much longer impression on you.  Do not be so quick to write it off or get pissy because of the price.  You will be missing out if you don't get to do this.  Believe it.

5 hours ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

So they were more or less working on aspects of this experience last year, yet they couldn't have it ready to roll out for the opening weekend of HHN or even the 2nd weekend? How is this possible?

It's completely possible when it didn't get the go-ahead by higher ups til the last minute, remember A&D can do what they want to come up with something, but unless the higher ups greenlight the experience/house to be built...their hands are tied.

Edited by Tobias

On 18 August 2016 at 11:17 PM, F.U.B.A.R. said:

See the thing people need to remember is that this comes from the Creative team (TJ and Rick among others) and they have been working on this for years. 

I honestly don't know how I feel about this house/experience. Reading this ^ makes me feel a lot better about this. I'm not big on 3D and VR stuff, I'm more of a practical effects guy. I'm going to do the experience though to say that I did it. I'm assuming all the news outlets will be taking part in the experience the first night so I'm excited to see reviews for this. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jediwhit82 said:

Ive heard people say its the scariest thing they have done at Horror Nights about the tech demo last year, would it be too intense for some people, im already mostly convinced on going but i dont want to chicken out and lose money.

i would be too afraid of hating it and wasting the money. i wish i could try it somewhere else as a test or something 

Edited by clash
  • Like 1

For those who havent read the details under the description on the reservation page, there are some things in there that give us an idea of what to expect. 

Additional Details
This experience combines virtual reality and an immersive theater environment. While walking and wearing a headset, guests will experience an environment consisting of enclosed spaces, locations of great height and scary/intense interactions.
Must be ages 13 or older.
Persons with the following conditions should not experience this attraction:
Motion Sickness or Dizziness
Fear of Heights
Medical Sensitivity to Strobe or Fog Effects
Fear of Enclosed Spaces
Recent Surgery or Other Conditions that may be aggravated by this experience
Guests may remain in standard wheelchair throughout.
Guests using motorized wheelchair or electric convenience vehicles should see an attendant for assistance.
Guests with service animals should see an attendant for assistance.
Photography or video recording, eating, drinking, carrying children, or smoking is prohibited.
Not for guests who wear eye glasses: You may or may not be able to fit glasses within the headset equipment.
Please arrive 30 minutes prior to reservation time to check-in. Guests will receive safety information and will be required to sign a waiver. Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a paying adult at all times and must have a parent or legal guardian to sign waiver.

The part about the locations of great height and fear of heights intrigues me.

Edited by RustySomebody
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RustySomebody said:

For those who havent read the details under the description on the reservation page, there are some things in there that give us an idea of what to expect. 

Additional Details
This experience combines virtual reality and an immersive theater environment. While walking and wearing a headset, guests will experience an environment consisting of enclosed spaces, locations of great height and scary/intense interactions.
Must be ages 13 or older.
Persons with the following conditions should not experience this attraction:
Motion Sickness or Dizziness
Fear of Heights
Medical Sensitivity to Strobe or Fog Effects
Fear of Enclosed Spaces
Recent Surgery or Other Conditions that may be aggravated by this experience
Guests may remain in standard wheelchair throughout.
Guests using motorized wheelchair or electric convenience vehicles should see an attendant for assistance.
Guests with service animals should see an attendant for assistance.
Photography or video recording, eating, drinking, carrying children, or smoking is prohibited.
Not for guests who wear eye glasses: You may or may not be able to fit glasses within the headset equipment.
Please arrive 30 minutes prior to reservation time to check-in. Guests will receive safety information and will be required to sign a waiver. Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a paying adult at all times and must have a parent or legal guardian to sign waiver.

The part about the locations of great height and fear of heights intrigues me.

Honestly the heights thing makes it more intriguing, but I'm just gonna assume this'll be the new trend with continuing years. I'm not gonna worry about it being a one time thing. I just don't have the drive to do it. Once I see what people think about it then I'll think about going.

Edited by SeaBass

• Mark M. changed the title to The Repository (Upcharge/VR Experience)