The Repository (Upcharge/VR Experience)

King_K.

dD4uINb.jpg

"I am ecstatic to announce a cutting-edge, terrifying virtual reality experience is coming to Universal Orlando’s Halloween Horror Nights. “The Repository” seamlessly blends custom virtual reality technology with immersive real-life storytelling bringing guests into the next dimension of horror experiences. This is one of the most electrifying Halloween Horror Nights’ project I’ve ever worked on – primarily because it is the culmination of 8 years of experimental story-telling, drawing on feedback from our vast HHN audience to learn what thrills and chills them the most.

Step in a horror experience like no other in The Repository

Throughout this heart-pounding, psychological journey, guests’ most personal and intimate fears will be tested as they encounter real-life characters in highly themed physical environments, while working together in teams of four to uncover a paranormal mystery told through the use of the cutting-edge technology. All of this is set in a centuries old warehouse where paranormal and supernatural artifacts have been collected and stored for hundreds of years. Recently though, the secretive organization behind this practice has installed state-of-the-art technology that allows spectral transportation into paranormal realms.

Until now, the supernatural has infiltrated our world on occasions labeled “hauntings.” Now, and for the first time ever, we will send you across the SDP (spectral dark portal) directly into those terrifying environments. I wish you a safe journey because what happens to you on the other side is irreversible.

“The Repository” can be purchased as an upgrade from your Halloween Horror Nights admission for $49.99 plus tax, per person. It will be available to guests during all Halloween Horror Nights events, beginning Sept. 29 and running through Oct. 31. Universal Orlando Annual Passholders can purchase tickets beginning August 16. Check the Universal Orlando Annual Passholder Facebook page for details. Tickets for the general public will be on sale beginning August 23. Halloween Horror Nights admission is required. Check back on August 23 for details on how to book your experience!

Get ready for The Repository, because the door will soon be open to a mind-blowing paranormal experience like no other."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JDW said:

Cool! but $50.00?!? pass
I'm tapped out as it is trying to get one night with fast pass. Still, I like that they are trying new things.

About the same as the Dining Experience, so wasn't too surprising. Very excited to hear reviews!

I almost guarantee this won't be as good as people think. They'll project "scary things" into the VR device and will have it overlay onto real environments. Tracking will end up being a nightmare I think. Easy way for them to get $50/pop and toss in existing props. I don't see this being an "Extreme" house at all.

Edited by criticalanalysis
  • Like 2

Just now, faceleg said:

Isn't that your motto though? ;) I kid I kid. 

Haha, I suppose :) I try to be careful in what I'm critical of. Frankly, I think the lineup is overall strong this year (minus the awful sounding scarezones) but they haven't "amped" me like they should.

Based on my experience with other similar upcharge attractions they're often gimmicky. Like the "Alone" attraction at BGT's HOS, it was alright, the regular houses were better.

• Like 3

i'm pretty excited to see how this plays out honestly! (and not just because the warehouse thing brings back Fond Memories of the fact my fave icon was a thing that time)

i think this could kind of be a gateway to more experimentation in blending VR and horror events? i'm not sure but even if the experience doesn't get stellar reviews it still opens the doorway for new things i guess

I have mixed feelings about this house (more positive than negative)

Positive - WE FINALLY GOT AN EXTREME HOUSE! 

- Excited for the new VR experience!

- WE FINALLY GOT AN EXTREME HOUSE!!!

- Something new!

Negative - the price

- Late announcement (wish they would have announced it back when tickets were released)

15 minutes ago, hhnfan95 said:

I have mixed feelings about this house (more positive than negative)

Positive - WE FINALLY GOT AN EXTREME HOUSE! 

- Excited for the new VR experience!

- WE FINALLY GOT AN EXTREME HOUSE!!!

- Something new!

Negative - the price

- Late announcement (wish they would have announced it back when tickets were released)

Apparently based on some of Legacy's OU comments, they may have gotten the idea approved a bit late. Which also explains why it won't be open when the event starts. 

Edited by ForeverEvil1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, criticalanalysis said:

Why are people thinking it is an extreme house? No where does it indicate this.

I think it's the fact that you go through it with four other people and that is it. Also with VR I think they have more opportunity to make people feel like they are being pushed to the limit without the major components of the extreme house such as the touching, pulling, grabbing etc.

• Like 1

Shit, I'm already doing 300$ I love this event but I'm not sure about this, it doesn't help that I'm going on the first weekend it's available so I can't see reviews. I'm also thinking about Unmasking the horror so... I might consider it if it is live actors mixed with VR, but if it is all Vr, why the hell would I want to spend 50$ more to look through googles instead of going into the real houses made of physical materials?

Yeah, I would temper expectations for this. This is a upcharge/VR experience, it is by no means a extreme house (or really a "house" in a general sense.)

It's not going to be that big, according to Legacy it's essentially going into whatever space AHS won't be using in the SS. An' since it's a VR experience, most of it is going to be black walls/objects that the VR will project onto. The only things that'll have any detail, paint, finish on them will be whatever you see before or after you take the headset off.

I'm also in the boat that the upcharge is more to keep the lines/crowds in check, this kind of experience has to be low capacity for it to work (Note- Low Capacity doesn't nessicarily equal "extreme") and the lines would be astronomically stupid if this was free/cheap.

• Like 1