Academy of Villains: House of Fear

Mark M.

Went from being upset it wasn't a Chance house...to mad it was a dance troupe....to intrigued....to planning out how I wanted to watch them from dead center to get the full effect in a course of a couple days.

REALLY looking forward to their show now!  And for anybody that says they're not scary/horror enough...look at Bill and Ted :)  

• Like 1

this is horrible, what a huge disappointment. (specially after last year's awesome show) a Jabbawockeez style dance show? what the  hell? they couldn't think of anything else to do?
This might do well in Hollywood but here it makes no sense, and this style of show is going to clash with the zones around it. im very disappointed 

• Like 1

On August 13, 2016 at 8:48 AM, ForeverEvil1 said:

As someone who honestly dosen't care about shows, this not being Chance related affects me a lot less than most.

This seems interesting but I didn't even stay around the area for Jack's show so meh.

Yes amigo. Me want Chance! But though I hate this saying...it is what it is.  I wouldn't have any issue checking them out for curiousities sake, but I'm more concerned with the show impacting the Banshee zone.  Want my ambiance and ambient music uninterrupted.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pandry said:

Yes amigo. Me want Chance! But though I hate this saying...it is what it is.  I wouldn't have any issue checking them out for curiousities sake, but I'm more concerned with the show impacting the Banshee zone.  Want my ambiance and ambient music uninterrupted.

the loud techno music would be a really weird contrast with the Banshee zone, It would be bizarre. maybe the banshee actors could start break dancing to the rap music as well lol  

Edited by clash

I watched their Knotts video from 2013 when they performed for their Halloween event. I have to say, I am impressed. They tried to make it a "freakshow" theme which kinda worked. It also wasn't all rap or techno. In fact, the last 8-9 minutes is all "toned down" music. It ends with an awesome "dance" from Bohemian Rhapsody which seems to be a staple for them that they perform in multiple different shows (even on Americas Got Talent). I am also impressed with the size of this group and I hope they all come to Orlando. Of course, my first thought is why are they spending so much money to bring this massive dance crew down to Orlando and house them for nearly 2 months? Would have been so much cheaper to do a Chance show with locals. 

Still, after watching multiple performances, I feel like this crew can give us a show loosely tied into an overarching story that is not 100% rap/techo dance music. Ideally it will be 50's music to fit into the Vamp '55  scarezone.  I just don't understand why they don't use the T2-3D theater to house a show like this. Hollywood pulled it off just fine when they put on Rocky Horror in their old T2 theater. Would be able to put on one heck of a show with all the special effects and screens that theater offers. Plus, they could use the aisles to not be stuck on the stage the whole show.

This is their Knotts video (ignore the annoying "intro"):

Edited by Badge
  • Like 1

that is interesting. that video is a little better

I think it will be cool for a one time viewing, but i cant  see myself doing any repeats if all they do is dance and there is no acting or big tricks or anything. I mus have done Jack's show around  6 times.

one thing i find interesting is that with Jack's show last year, a lot of the negative comments of the show was that people hated the parts with the clowns dancing. People loved Jack's part of the show but when they went into a dance routine people were complaining. This show seems to be ALL dancing so it makes me wonder how it will be received. 

While not Academy of Villains, the dance crew in the video below is what I want from a dance crew show. This is nearly an 8 minute performance with the same song (FAR from rap/techno) telling a story. A story of an kid getting dumped at an orphanage and all the other kids comforting him. It's sad and very touching with lots of the over 1,000 comments being along the lines of "I cried". It's almost at 4 million views as well and it was the winning performance at VIBE in 2015. Can't tell you the number of times I have watched this since discovering it while looking up AoV videos. It's simply beautiful to watch this flawless, high intensity dance routine with this big crew.

This is what AoV needs to strive for. Obviously not the sad, tug at your heartstrings type of performance but a show that makes you FEEL something with song choices that make sense to the story they are trying to tell. I don't want to watch a bunch of people on a stage dancing to random rap/dubstep music for 20 minutes that doesn't fit into the event at all! Give us classic halloween songs or, even better, give us popular 50's songs that will totally fit into the theme of the zone the show is in. 

Here is Cookies AMAZING performance:

• 2 weeks later...

ACADEMY OF VILLAINS: HOUSE OF FEAR

As a riot breaks out in Shadybrook, this take-no-prisoners performance troupe thrusts you into a realm of madness and mayhem. High-energy dance and specialty acts mix in an explosion of insanity. The inmates are now running the asylum!

That's cool, didn't know they were incorporating some past HHN properties into the show

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Oysterhead00 said:

As a riot breaks out in Shadybrook, this take-no-prisoners performance troupe thrusts you into a realm of madness and mayhem. High-energy dance and specialty acts mix in an explosion of insanity. The inmates are now running the asylum!

That's cool, didn't know they were incorporating some past HHN properties into the show

It's tiny little info like this that makes me smile a bit.

On 9/7/2016 at 5:12 PM, Oysterhead00 said:

A part of me has to wonder if this was an "oh s***" moment behind the scenes when feedback from people on twitter, facebook, etc. didn't like the concept. They had to scramble to toss some HHN history into the show. They would have mentioned the show was themed around Shadybrook from day 1 if this was always the plan. Also, isn't Chance locked up in Shadybrook? Maybe this is their way of getting Chance onto the stage since it now fits with the shows storyline. 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2016 at 1:01 AM, Badge said:

I watched their Knotts video from 2013 when they performed for their Halloween event. I have to say, I am impressed. They tried to make it a "freakshow" theme which kinda worked. It also wasn't all rap or techno. In fact, the last 8-9 minutes is all "toned down" music. It ends with an awesome "dance" from Bohemian Rhapsody which seems to be a staple for them that they perform in multiple different shows (even on Americas Got Talent). I am also impressed with the size of this group and I hope they all come to Orlando. Of course, my first thought is why are they spending so much money to bring this massive dance crew down to Orlando and house them for nearly 2 months? Would have been so much cheaper to do a Chance show with locals. 

Still, after watching multiple performances, I feel like this crew can give us a show loosely tied into an overarching story that is not 100% rap/techo dance music. Ideally it will be 50's music to fit into the Vamp '55  scarezone.  I just don't understand why they don't use the T2-3D theater to house a show like this. Hollywood pulled it off just fine when they put on Rocky Horror in their old T2 theater. Would be able to put on one heck of a show with all the special effects and screens that theater offers. Plus, they could use the aisles to not be stuck on the stage the whole show.

This is their Knotts video (ignore the annoying "intro"):

I think the only reason T2 is not being used for the show is because TWD rumor may be true & they want to keep it open for guests before the close it for good.

• Like 1

I did see a picture on Twitter with times on the new video screen. It said 8:45, 9:45, 10:45, 11:30. Not sure if that was employee preview night times and we will get more showings like maybe 11:45 instead of 11:30 and an added show at 12:30. I would expect a roughly 20-25 minute show just going off the time between shows and what they did at Knotts a few years ago. Still, I have yet to read a single negative comment about this show. Every single thing I have read claims this is the best show to come to HHN in years and everybody is going to be blown away and begging for a return next year. Still trying to keep my exceptions low and not let the hype get to me but this has gone from a "I will check it out while walking between houses" to a "I will pick a time to wait up front to see the whole show". 

• Like 1