Survive or Die: Apocalypse

King_K.

HHNStreets_Apocalypse.thumb.jpg.9c53dfde3e831169d4c9db9dff7b4fea.jpg

A global catastrophe has ruined Earth’s atmosphere. One group of survivors secured a machine that provides clean air. The two other surviving groups are on the hunt to gain control of the machine and are recruiting new members to help them. You can either join them or feed their staving ranks. Which will you choose?

I'm assuming you'll choose a faction of sorts, and scares will be different depending on the side. Hope there's a lot of lighting on fog to make it seem radioactive, and whatever side the machine is on will be normal.

• 3 weeks later...

From my understanding, there are 3 factions:

* Dominion: Traditional post-apocalyptic outfits with gas masks, pieced-together metal and leather clothing, and a platform with flamethrowers. Control the Sting Alley side of New York.

* Artifice: Cult-like faction led by Mother. Mostly wear robes and face paint. Control the Mummy/park side of New York.

* Hounds: Wear furs and carry chainsaws (our favorite wheelchair is back), with their leader driving around in a buggy. Circle the zone repeatedly.

They're still trying to figure out exactly how to balance the scares with the non-scare interactions. They do make serious attempts to convince passersby and the people watching their spiels to pledge allegiance and perform hand signals to show their support. It's a really neat concept, but the energy needs an increase to actually get scares out of it.

Edited by Cody

We had some fun in this scarezone last weekend.  Artifice member convinced my son and his friend to follow her to Mother and pledge allegiance.  She tried to get me too but I resisted.  Something going on with that Mother...I don't think she's to be trusted! ;)   I get the similarities between this and Acid Assault, but I prefer this one over AA.

Also, I noticed this past Sunday that the scareactors have begun to have little confrontations in the zone. The Hounds and Dominion had a standoff between chainsaws and spears when the former drove through their borders, and a group of Dominion actors snuck around and suddenly ran through Artifice territory before being chased away.

At first I was about ready to say this zone was unoriginal and a typical post-apocalypse zone but everyone gets it wrong from time to time. In other words this one blew me away. There's a complex backstory that didn't feel like it was slapped together in seconds, the scareactors trying to convert you to their cause and their turf wars and the set pieces which are magnificent. As much as I feel the Mad Max/post-apocalypse thing is overdone, they added some life in this old dog yet, and I'm grateful for it. 

I wasn't really sure where to put this post since it technically deals with music, but could also potential be a general discussion topic as well- so if a mod feels the need to move this post, go for it. 

Maybe I'm the only one, or loosing my mind, but has anybody else noticed or felt like a majority of the music in this zone is very... emotionally driven? Does it seem odd to anybody else? To me most of the music in S&D it's not the kind of stuff I'd expect to hear in a scarezone, even one like this which is mostly action based and less "horror." Those more "emotional" sections (or even some entire songs) could have been cut out but the mixers left them in and I'm curious as to why that is (if there is any reason.) Typically in theatre or film you have those moments that are intended to trigger or resonate with audiences on different level and not just "get the heart beat racing." Chapter Doof, Walhalla Awaits, Going Commando, Dream is Collapsing, Final Frontier and several others have portions in their songs have those more "subdued/emotional" moments and when I'm watching the videos of the zone and they come on it really seems to clash for me and take me out of the feeling they're seemingly trying to establish- I.E a scary postapocalyptic world.
Now I haven't actually physically been in this zone (as I probably won't be able to make the event this year) so maybe it's just because I'm watching it via videos. But it's just odd. These songs seems like deliberate choices, and we know that they've changed at least a portion of the park-wide music this past week and nothing (musically) seems to have changed for S&D so that means they've kept the music the same. If they've chosen specifically this music it makes me wonder why; why the more emotional musical motifs in this zone?

As someone who also is just watching from the internet this year, I agree that some of the music choices in this zone seem weird. I remember hearing Dream is Collapsing and it really took me out of the "moment". Could be due to popularity, that songs was oft used for things when Inception was pretty new. It did seem strange though.

• Mark M. changed the title to Survive or Die: Apocalypse