Unmasking the Horror Tour

jek

Not sure if anyone has already posted this, but I just got my  Unmasking the Horror tour confirmation and it says to meet at VIP services area AT Islands of Adventure!

Edited by jek

5 minutes ago, jek said:

Not sure if anyone has already posted this, but I just got my  Unmasking the Horror tour confirmation and it says to meet at VIP services area AT Islands of Adventure!

Are you doing both AM and PM? I heard those doing the combo will check into IOA and those doing singles will go to the normal US check in location.

I got an order confirmation, but it doesn't mention anything about picking up my tour tickets at any specific location. Maybe when I pick up my other tickets at the ticket window they'll mention where we're supposed to go to meet up with the tour group?

I called about making reservations and they explained that if you just do one tour, you meet in Universal and head away from the SS's (I guess towards the Tents).  If you book both, you start in IOA and go to the SS's first.  This is due to how popular the tours have become and and they are trying something new as last year tours "routinely caught up to each other" but this was "subject to change" if it doesn't work out or something.  I think they always started out going to the hottest houses first to get them out of the way...and they're changing it up this year due to crowds.  Also, last year we were CRAMMED in the VIP area downstairs as some Harry Potter tour was meeting upstairs...so utilizing the IOA VIP area makes perfect sense.

All the tours end in Universal and you will have to give proof of having a park ticket that day or you will exit through the VIP area.  Same as what they always say and never enforce :)

Take this for what you will as often times calling doesn't get you correct answers, but she was in the VIP office and was extremely nice and seemed very knowledgeable.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/26/2016 at 11:02 PM, Jediwhit82 said:

Can anyone who has done one before telle

hownot compares to the Keys to the Kingdom tour over at Magic Kingdom? I just did that and really enjoyed it.

I've never done the Keys to the Kingdom tour so I have no idea what it is, but since Disney doesn't have houses that you walk through I'd assume it would be completely different seeing how rides work?  Plus, you know, the blood and severed heads and all.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132902777@N08/albums/72157659105945170

The photo album above is from Jack's house last year to give you an idea of what you do.  You walk through the house as a group (you can hang back as much as you want to take pictures with nobody in them), with the lights on, with a guide telling you all kinds of stuff about the event, the houses, construction, etc as well as easter eggs you surely missed every other time you walked through the house.  Like in this album, you'll see a Munsters family photo...that was hidden behind a big piece of machinery that a scareactor hid behind.  Absolutely impossible to see while you are in the house, but the guide points it out.  He pointed out Hershel's severed head from a previous TWD house being reused, and a bunch of other reused props which is pretty cool.

Last year, the guide "snuck" us in the back door to take a picture with one of the AWIL Werewolves as that house wasn't on our tour which was really cool, and then he also went behind the scenes to show us the controls for the bear, how it worked, and then he operate it / posed it for pictures which was great.  When in Asylum in Wonderland, he kept having us go through boo holes and peek behind the curtain to show us how close the Shrek sets were and how close you were to the other theater with all the little kiddies in there during the day not realizing there were mutilated bodies mounted to the wall about 5 feet away from them :)  He also showed us the different kinds of triggers for the scareactors to queue sounds/lights/etc.

If you aren't into taking pictures, it might seem a bit expensive for a walk through...but for me it's worth every penny and more.  Also, our tour guides last year were the best we've ever had (One was the main guide who did the whole presentation...the other was a lady who pretty much hung back to make sure nobody snuck away and answer some questions for the more photo-oriented people like me).  Some are a little more by the book than others, and some take great pride in what they do and bring it to a whole other level. 

The AM or PM tour is 3 houses, and last year they announced what they were but other years they've rotated.  They're always subject to change if there's some maintenance needed in the house on the day of your tour.  If you do both tours, you do 6 different houses with an hour-ish break for lunch (last year, we were dropped off in Springfield and met up there an hour later).

EDIT:  It should go without saying that if you are going to the event multiple nights, you should go a full night of the event first to see the houses as they are meant to be seen, then do the tour the next day to learn all the secrets, and then go back that night to see the houses in a whole different light.  I also find I get more scares AFTER doing the tour, because I'm busy looking for the easter eggs and concentrating on comparing the lights on vs off stuff so the scareactors get me really good :) 

Edited by Oysterhead00
  • Like 3

My guesses for the houses featured on this year's tours (assuming they don't change around like last year):

Exorcist

Megahouse (unless copyright issue. Then Cobweb)

Ghost Town

Krampus

Halloween II

TCM

Chance likely won't have much to look at if it's your typical 3D house, TWD is unnecessary, and IMO they'll do the other 5 IPs and the most visually appealing original versus 4 IPS and 2 originals, and I'm anticipating Ghost Town being the more aesthetically pleasing original. Should the megahouse actually be AHS and there's a copyright issue, then it'll be the other 4 IPs and Ghost Town/Cobweb.

13 hours ago, foREVer56 said:

My guesses for the houses featured on this year's tours (assuming they don't change around like last year):

Exorcist

Megahouse (unless copyright issue. Then Cobweb)

Ghost Town

Krampus

Halloween II

TCM

Chance likely won't have much to look at if it's your typical 3D house, TWD is unnecessary, and IMO they'll do the other 5 IPs and the most visually appealing original versus 4 IPS and 2 originals, and I'm anticipating Ghost Town being the more aesthetically pleasing original. Should the megahouse actually be AHS and there's a copyright issue, then it'll be the other 4 IPs and Ghost Town/Cobweb.

I think there will be at least 2 originals on the tour as they like to show off their stuff.  The Chance house has to be included (and I think it's 90% sure NOT to be 3D) because having an Icon's house not be part of the tour really sucks.  If you're going to see Chance on billboards, store displays, commercials, etc, etc, etc and then not have her house be part of the tour that's not gonna work.  TWD will probably be included as it always is and this year shouldn't be any different, especially being a "Best Of" house.  And that's fine by me as I like the lights on tour of the house better than the at night house itself because of all the eye candy of seeing how they rebuilt iconic scenes from the show.

My guess would be:

Tour 1:  Chance, Krampus, and TWD

Tour 2:  Cobweb (has to be included given how proud A&D are of it) and then a rotating 2 out of 3 for TCM, Exorcist, and Halloween II.  It would be the "old school" tour.  Halloween II might be a bit boring, so I think it would be a backup if either of the other IPs were being worked on that day.

That's just my (un)educated guess.  Not thought as to what's where, or having too many tents on one tour, or anything else like that.  Just what I'd expect at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

My family just bought our passes for HHN and we also bought tickets for the unmasking the horror tour (and the Scareactor dining experience). Never done the tour before, so excited to finally do it! We're doing the 2:00 tour. Mine didn't mention anything about where to go to meet up for the tour. I pick up all the tickets at will call, but that's all I know. I also found it odd that the tour tickets didn't ask for name and info of the people doing it, had to fill out names for the frequent fear passes, but not the tour. Is that normal?

My guess is....:

Ghost Town

Tomb of the Ancients

The Exorcist

Krampus

Halloween

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

At least this is my wish list of houses to see. Hopefully they will give different houses on different days and that way, people can post houses that we didn't see on the tour online.

On 8/13/2016 at 11:40 PM, ScottEdmondson41 said:

My family just bought our passes for HHN and we also bought tickets for the unmasking the horror tour (and the Scareactor dining experience). Never done the tour before, so excited to finally do it! We're doing the 2:00 tour. Mine didn't mention anything about where to go to meet up for the tour. I pick up all the tickets at will call, but that's all I know. I also found it odd that the tour tickets didn't ask for name and info of the people doing it, had to fill out names for the frequent fear passes, but not the tour. Is that normal?

That's not unusual at all.  You'll be surprised how easy going / unorganized the tours can be when you get there :)  I'm sure that they show up as whoever bought the tickets + guests.  Like if your father bought 4 tickets, it will be Him +3.  Last year I was going to do the tours by myself (my regular group of friends have decided the tours are too expensive) but then we had a HHN Virgin go with us last year who wanted to do it, so he bought his ticket the day before the tour.  When we got there, he asked if they could make sure he could be in my group so they just crossed his name out on the list, and wrote in a +1 next to my name and there were no problems.  We're both going again this year and I bought both our tickets and it didn't ask for names for them either.

Edited by Oysterhead00
Deleted inaccurate location
  • Like 1

Hot off the presses...just got an email:

Please be advised the check in for Unmasking the Horror Tours will take place at the Blue Man Group theater, located in CityWalk, right next door to Universal Studios Florida. Please follow signage to the check-in desk.

Morning and Combo Unmasking the Horror Tour check in begins at 10:00AM and Tour departs at 10:30AM

Afternoon Unmasking the Horror Tours check in begins at 1:30PM and Tour departs at 2:00PM

Contact Us

Should you have any questions at all, or need to make any changes to your Unmasking the Horror Tour, please contact the Universal Orlando VIP Experience Office.  We are available 7 days a week, during normal business hours (EST) and can be reached either via phone (407-363-8295 Option 3) or email (viptours@universalorlando.com)

OK, a few things to address...

Yes the check-in and departure point for Unmasking the Horror Tours has changed.  You can check-in for your UtH Tour 15-30 minutes prior to your departure time at the Blue Man Group Theater located between Universal Studios Florida and the Hard Rock Cafe.  Just look for the tours representative who will be located in the courtyard just outside (most likely with some sort of signage or podium).  They will have you sign in and then direct you to the space where everyone will be waiting that day (either the Blue Man Group VIP Room or the covered area just outside the theater entrance).  At the scheduled departure time the guide(s) will greet everyone, give a brief event overview and then take their group into the park.  Houses visited during an UtH Tour are determined day of depending on availability so no one will be able to tell you in advance exactly which houses will be visited on which tour or the order they will be visited in.  Again, NO ONE can guarantee you a specific house is part of the tour or which tour time a certain house will be visited.  

There are a variety of reasons for the decision to be made daily as to the houses visited which include, publicity photo shoots in a house, repairs going on within a house, video footage being shot in a house during a portion of the day, work lights not functioning in a particular building or even the fire alarm system being inspected.  The guides who do UtH Tours go through an extensive training and learn the details of all 9 houses so no matter which ones you visit they are able to talk (at length) about them.  

Generally, a determination is made as to what the 6 primary houses will be, which will be back ups and on rare occasion which will not be visited at all.  This determination is made just before the training for the guides takes place, just a couple weeks before the event starts.  The reasons for choosing the houses that will be a part of the UtH Tours include, which houses are more visually rich and provide great opportunities for photographs, which ones are viewed to be more interesting to the fan base, houses that are more accommodating to groups of 15 guests following a guide, visibility (houses that are better lit during the day than ones that remain dark), etc.  If a certain house is visually rich, but overly claustrophobic or not have areas a guide can address their entire group, it will (sometimes sadly) usually not be a part of the tour.  If a house is more scareactor/creature driven and not overly detailed visually, it will usually not be a part of the tour as those scareactors/creatures aren't in there during the day. 

Also keep in mind that if you were to book a Morning Only Tour one day and an Afternoon Only Tour on a separate day, you may repeat a house or two.  If you would like to see six houses you are far better off booking a Combo Tour, this is the only guarantee you have of not repeating a house.  

On another note, guests who booked their tour online; unfortunately you are provided with very little to address your arrival time and check-in process.  As mentioned above, once you have picked up your tickets or have printed them at home, please arrive 15-30 minutes prior to your scheduled tour departure time in the courtyard in front of the Blue Man Group Theater.  There will be a tour rep out there to assist you once you have reached the courtyard directly in front of the theater.

Finally, at the conclusion of your UtH Tour the guides will be required to walk their group to the park exit and make sure all guests exit the park appropriately.  Since their inception, the UtH Tours have never required park admission in order to take part, but it is getting harder and harder to justify this, especially when guests have been seen staying in the park following their tour (and openly posting about it online) and not exiting the park.  As the guides giving the tour do not have a ticket scanner on them to check annual passes or event admission tickets to ensure they are active they can no longer allow their guests to just go off into the park on their own following the tour and will have to take them to the exit at the end of the tour.  A minor inconvenience, but if it helps prevent admission being required to take part in the tour it's certainly worth the walk back up to the front of the park.

At any rate, have fun out there and enjoy your tour :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On September 5, 2016 at 10:34 AM, Oysterhead00 said:

Any rumors of what houses will be on the tour this year (with the obvious caveat that it could change at any time and have subs if maintenance is needed)?

Would like to know this as well. I'm doing the PM tour, and am hoping to hell I don't have to see TWD -- Really would like Ghost Town.