Lunatics Playground 3D: You Won’t Stand A Chance

King_K.

Yes, I'd love more cool effects added that aren't necessarily 3D like camouflaged scares they've used in the past.  In-Between was amazing and had a lot of this and the X-mas tree type in Penn & Teller seems to be the last I can recall.  Lunatics felt so much like Asylum but just different costumes.  Both were okay but I felt they had a lot more potential.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Neko said:

Chance deserved a better house. :(

Chance deserved a better event...

Everyone was so excited and hyped up but both her zone and her house are kinda bad. Plus her commercial wasnt good, her presence in the event has not beennthe best.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, clash said:

Chance deserved a better event...

Everyone was so excited and hyped up but both her zone and her house are kinda bad. Plus her commercial wasnt good, her presence in the event has not beennthe best.

I cannot agree with you enough! They didn't utilize Chance as well as they did Jack last year. I love Chance as a character, but she got the short end of the stick this year, despite being the icon. She has what looks like the smallest scare zone and a what seems to be mediocre house. Hopefully when I go (late October) everything is improved.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, clash said:

and i kinda hate to say this but shes a little... annoying. previous years like 2007 or 2015 she was funny but a little naive and crazy but fun. this year some of the chance stuff is still fun but... i dont know, it is not the same. 

Universal needs stronger female icons without sexualizing them, like they did with The Storyteller. I want them to be the evil puppeteer behind the event; where you can see their grimy hands all over the event. That goes for any icon. I feel like they are trying to link the new and old school ways of original houses and IP's, but they're half assing it with a weak icon.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2016 at 2:53 PM, Cody said:

I'd really like to see more 3D houses along the concept of The In-Between. Not necessarily sequels, but houses that use the 3D effect for immersive otherworldly environments instead of the usual trippy neon rooms.

THIS. I would have to assume a big part of the reason why we keep getting uninspired neon walled 3D houses is budgeting, but if they pulled off the In-Between, they could do WAY more. I like P&T and Asylum quite a bit, but Afterlife is one of the worst houses they've done, and this one isn't very good either. In-Between is the only 3D house I've ever seen at any event that I consider excellent. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Nin10nerd said:

I'm not familiar with the in-between, so could someone elaborate why this house one of the few, if not the only, successful 3D house?

It was the year with Lady Luck as the icon (2011?). There are videos on youtube if you google it.  I didn't get a chance to go myself, but from the videos, it does look like a heck of a house.  Lots of good use of black lighting, hiding scareactors, misdirection, etc.

2 hours ago, Nin10nerd said:

I'm not familiar with the in-between, so could someone elaborate why this house one of the few, if not the only, successful 3D house?

The In-Between was a 2011 house set in an alternate dimension. The story is that a couple college kids started playing with a Ouija Board-style puzzle they found in a professor's office and accidentally opened a portal which they were sucked into.

A short primer on 3D: the glasses work by filtering different wavelengths of visible light (meaning different colors) so that reds appear behind the actual object and blues appear in front of the actual object, for instance. Applied correctly, this causes images on surfaces to appear as if they're floating off the surface when viewed with 3D glasses. Blacklight paint and neon colors are used to make the colors "pop" and be easily visible.

Most 3D houses in HHN history and elsewhere at both theme park and independent haunts are very similar to Lunatic's Playground: a very colorful environment with patterns and images on the walls and blacklight paint everywhere, and multicolored strobe lights flashing during scares. They often have a carnival or funhouse theme; even if they have a different setting, they typically make use of similar styles of imagery. It's basically a gimmick that makes the house resemble a carnival haunt.

The In-Between, on the other hand, used 3D imagery to make literally impossible imagery for the demonic alternate dimension. Three-dimensional props like "floating" demon heads were painted with blacklight paint and shaken around, making them appear to shimmer in multiple directions at once when viewed through the glasses. Scareactors were hidden among patterns on the wall; in general most rooms were actually very dark with only splashes of color from the actors and certain props, unlike a typical 3D house where every surface is brightly colored. Actors would be positioned in front of walls painted with runes, with the 3D making the runes appear simultaneously in front of and behind the actor standing in front of them (if this sounds impossible, that's exactly what it was; your brain worked overtime in that house trying to make sense of what it was seeing).

In all, The In-Between used the 3D as an addition to an already excellent house, using it to sell the idea that you were in an alternate dimension where physical space held a different meaning than it does in our reality. Instead of just having crazy cartoon images popping off the walls, it was a supplement to other effects like lasers and smoke-like glass floor textures.

• Like 2

If I had to pick a "least favorite", Unfortunately, I'll have to give that DIShonor to Lunatics Playground...it wasn't a HORRIBLE house, but barely scary and the neon green "glowy" 3D aspect is getting old. Howl-O-Scream shoves this in our face year after year and this plays out as one of the weaker HOS houses in the past.  Granted Chance's prescence in the house is awesome and LOVED seeing her in there, but it is what it is.  I'd almost root for Universal to do away with 3D houses altogether, its kind of a lame concept.

The chatter about In-Between, I have to admit that was indeed a 3D house done RIGHT! Very memorable!

• Like 1

On 10/3/2016 at 4:54 PM, criticalanalysis said:

Literally awful. What a waste of the $5 they put into it.

From what I heard and have read of the house this estimate is too high. It should be more like $3 or less.
Which is downright awful for the Frick-Fracking ICON.

• Like 1

I'm going to step in and defend chance for a minute here.

Was the house amazing? No. But was it downright awful? No. I don't get why everyone is saying "this was downright terrible not good at all" when it wasn't that bad at all. Sure, it wasn't anything amazing, and it definitely was the worst of the 9 houses this year, but I still thought it was pretty cool. My issues with it revolve around the fact that it wasn't anything like they said it would be, there were really no "transitions" from reality to chances mind, and there wasn't any story aside for "wow 3D effects".

Now, that aside, the house was a traditional 3D house. Again it wasn't amazing, but its good if it was on its own (as in not compared to the other houses this year). The rooms were all pretty neat, some of the scares were good and I enjoyed some of the effects that the house provided here and there. One thing I found really cool was (SPOILER) the room where chance claims "well, the show must go on!" and you watch her crank the guys insides all around while the horrific sounds play. Another part I really enjoyed was the room with the baby/dolls in the cages as you went around the U turn.(END SPOILER) Overall I thought the house was OK. Anyone who says it was downright awful is someone that is too critical overall, because it really wasn't nearly as bad as I heard people claim it was, but I wouldn't hesitate to say it was the worst house of this year.

Overall, chance wasn't an all so terrible maze, although not so great either. I do believe chance deserved a way better house (and scarezone, holyshit is that zone bad) but I wouldn't go out of my way to say that it was downright awful. People who say any HHN maze is downright awful are those that commonly go to places like Netherworld and Shallow Grave. Until you guys see a truly bad maze (pretty much any maze down here in Conneticut) then don't simply say "This maze was bad with no exceptions" because in comparison to many, many other mazes around the world, Chance would be considered the next big thing.

• Like 2

I did this house twice opening weekend. I've gone back to the event 7 times since. I have yet to go back in here. This is literally the first time I've done that in my 6 years of doing the event more than once, and this is the first year I have express. That's not to say this is the worst house of all time, but that it is indeed a bad house that has been done poorly before. EVERYWHERE. Alice last year was partially a standard black-walls-with-neon 3D house, but not entirely, and it still worked incredibly well. Great costumes, new, interesting ideas, and even a few good scares. This house has none of the above, and both times I did the house I was completely alone. Reused some of the worst parts of Afterlife, which was just as bad of a house, and didn't add anything new to the concept. There isn't a thing about Chance this year that I like. Hell, I go as far as saying she's more annoying than anything, especially her interruptions in the music all over the park. I expected nothing from this house, and it still let me down. 

• Like 1

• Mark M. changed the title to Lunatics Playground 3D: You Won’t Stand A Chance