Lunatics Playground 3D: You Won’t Stand A Chance

King_K.

21 hours ago, Oysterhead00 said:

***Start Bitching***

Ohhhhh, the humanity!!!!!!

How dare they (potentially, we don't know the details yet) tell you to put the glasses on and off!  Like how dare they make you put glasses on for Terminator...or Shrek...Or Spider-Man...etc.  They should make them all one giant ride so we don't have to do be burdened with putting on glasses, and taking them off.  It's bad enough I have sunglasses that I have to take off when I go indoors, but to make me do it in a house is unbearable!  Nevermind that the glasses aren't some magic prescription lens that will damage your eyes if you leave them on when the black lights aren't on.  Are you seriously complaining about that?  LEAVE THEM ON THE WHOLE HOUSE.  I'm sure you're eyes will survive the 3 minutes that the glasses are on.  Or, better yet, don't go in it.

I love 3D houses.  Why?  They're unique and they're fun and I get to see, at most, one per year.  I can go see 3D movies and I have a 3D TV at home, but the house isn't that kind of 3D...it's a completely different and entertaining type.  It's a type that can do optical illusions with black light that are impossible for real people to be able to do otherwise.  It makes the most disorienting environments that can put you on edge more than any other kind of ambiance.  

I can't believe how many people are upset that they have the most successful and popular Horror TV show in history at the park every year and that somehow is ripping them off...and then people that complain that the house, they know nothing about, is somehow lessened by it being a 3D house.

Nobody is forcing you to go to the event...nor is anybody forcing you to go through this house...or put on the glasses...or take them off.

***End Bitching***

Why would I not go in it? I'm obviously paying decent money to see what Universal has thrown together. With that being said, I've yet to go through a 3d house that is really that good and I've been through a lot of them over the years (not just HHN). It doesn't matter if I know anything about this house, I know that it's 3d and that is enough for me to know that it will be at the bottom of my list. You're allowed to have your opinions on 3d and I'm entitled to mine. I'm not about to boycott the event because they decided to run with a fad for another year.

Though I understand the frustration of those who are opposed to TWD returning over the past few years, I understand why they do it at least ($). The 3d thing however, I honestly don't get (which was was why I was curious if there are actually fans of it).

As far as the taking the glasses on and off... For 1, they never fit correctly on my head especially while walking and rubbing up against stuff (room dividing stuff hanging from the ceiling). 2nd, If they're doing an on and off 3d setup, I'd prefer to not wear the glasses in non-3d rooms (assuming they even do it this way). I really enjoy taking in the scenic when I go through the houses (one of the main reasons I attend the event). I find it less enjoyable doing so while wearing glasses that mess with my vision. I'd prefer to see their hard work with 100% visibility. Granted, some of the paint work on occasion can be really interesting in 3d, it's not the type of horror or entertainment I'm looking for when I go to events like this. 

I just think that they had an opportunity to present Chance with a great concept, but instead, they decided to squander it by using 3d. I'm sure that once everyone goes through it come Sept/Oct most will agree (unless you actually enjoy 3d).

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Oysterhead00 said:

***Start Bitching***

Ohhhhh, the humanity!!!!!!

How dare they (potentially, we don't know the details yet) tell you to put the glasses on and off!  Like how dare they make you put glasses on for Terminator...or Shrek...Or Spider-Man...etc.  They should make them all one giant ride so we don't have to do be burdened with putting on glasses, and taking them off.  It's bad enough I have sunglasses that I have to take off when I go indoors, but to make me do it in a house is unbearable!  Nevermind that the glasses aren't some magic prescription lens that will damage your eyes if you leave them on when the black lights aren't on.  Are you seriously complaining about that?  LEAVE THEM ON THE WHOLE HOUSE.  I'm sure you're eyes will survive the 3 minutes that the glasses are on.  Or, better yet, don't go in it.

I love 3D houses.  Why?  They're unique and they're fun and I get to see, at most, one per year.  I can go see 3D movies and I have a 3D TV at home, but the house isn't that kind of 3D...it's a completely different and entertaining type.  It's a type that can do optical illusions with black light that are impossible for real people to be able to do otherwise.  It makes the most disorienting environments that can put you on edge more than any other kind of ambiance.  

I can't believe how many people are upset that they have the most successful and popular Horror TV show in history at the park every year and that somehow is ripping them off...and then people that complain that the house, they know nothing about, is somehow lessened by it being a 3D house.

Nobody is forcing you to go to the event...nor is anybody forcing you to go through this house...or put on the glasses...or take them off.

***End Bitching***

There's a reason why Universal Orlando continuously received Best Halloween Event year after year from Amusement Today and I believe it was the continuous wheel of original content. If it follows Hollywood's footsteps by IP'ing the crap out of everything, I fear it's going to lose all of it's creative energy and no longer become the event it used to be. If we continue to have original scarezones, houses and icons, I think it'll be able to keep it's head above water, because as "25 Years of Monsters and Mayhem" proved last year, original is KING(with a spritz of movie fun of course).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ringwraith said:

There's a reason why Universal Orlando continuously received Best Halloween Event year after year from Amusement Today and I believe it was the continuous wheel of original content. If it follows Hollywood's footsteps by IP'ing the crap out of everything, I fear it's going to lose all of it's creative energy and no longer become the event it used to be. If we continue to have original scarezones, houses and icons, I think it'll be able to keep it's head above water, because as "25 Years of Monsters and Mayhem" proved last year, original is KING(with a spritz of movie fun of course).

Not true.  It's a MOVIE theme park.  Now that Disaster has closed, off the top of my head I can only think of one ride that isn't IP related:  Rip Rocket.  I think every other ride in Universal is IP related.  I could be wrong, so let's just be safe and say 90% of the attractions are IP related.  And Jimmy Fallon and Fast & Furious are both IPs coming soon...and all the Nintendo stuff coming soon is IP related.  It's what sets Universal apart from all the other themeparks.  Sure, Disney has their movie related stuff and are greatly expanding it with Avitar and Star Wars lands, and Great Adventure has agreements with DC Comics, but it's still what Universal does.  You come to "Live the movies" so I don't see why everybody thinks that they're going to run out of material.  Look at the last few years, Excorcist, TCM, Halloween, & Halloween II alone are probably close to a cumulative 100 years old.  So it's not like there is any shortage of IPs to draw upon and do.  I'd argue the most anticipated house this year is some little movie that made $42m at the boxoffice and they are a dime a dozen each year.   If you go all IP what sets you apart from HOS?  Yes, production value and rides....but said rides are all IPs.  I've never been there and am not disparaging it in any way, shape or form.  But the fact that all my friends and I have been going to HHN for over a decade and have NEVER made it an hour away to HOS shows the power of IPs.  It's the IPs that drive the park and event and are at the core of it's success!

It's like why are so many movies are sequels...because it's a known quantity and people will show up.  (Yes, I know, this year the sequels are having a rough year at the box office)  Look at recent movie franchises and compare the original to the sequel.  The "known quantity" aspect is worth a fortune that no amount of creativity, marketing, etc can make up for.  It's brand recognition.  It's why companies like Scion go out of business because nobody cares about them, but they incorporate their line of cars under the established Toyota brand and they sell like hotcakes.

The event isn't in ANY kind of trouble any time soon.  Look at all of us that bitch and complain about the crowds and lines and ticket price increases yet still go.  They aren't going to buck a trend that has made the event EXPLODE In popularity since the first decade or so that they went all/predominantly originals.  It's a business.  A business is going to do what's successful for them.  Lamborghini isn't going to switch to all gas economical cars because that's what the competition is doing.  Nike wasn't going to make plastic shoes when Crocs were all the rage.  Movado isn't making fitbits.  When you have a recipe for success that bucks all trends, brand recognition, and continues to be successful....you've hit the jackpot and you'd be INSANE to go against it.

I know us hardcore fans love original content...but you can't sacrifice what the masses want to placate the few (already guaranteed sales) and expect to survive in a capitalistic society.

PS - don't worry, my menstrual cycle is almost over so I'll stop bitching soon :)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bmoz628 said:

If they are switching between reality and her mind (3D world) and they are doing the whole bell ring to signal the change I think it would be awesome if the lighting changes to bring out the 3D colors under different lighting. 

Most likely. I highly doubt you'll need to switch in and out of 3D. Just keep the whole house in, but different colors and effects when the bell rings.

• Like 1

I know I haven't been through the house, hell, nobody has... But reading about the house from the Universal Blog, if you take out the 3D crap, it sounds like an amazing house. I love anything to do with asylums. But i hate 3D houses. I think they are a cliche. Vibrant colors and mind tricks. In my opinion, if you gone through one 3D house, you've been through them all. 

With all that being said, I don't have high hopes for this house. I'm really hoping this house completely surprises me and I enjoy it. I guess I will find out on opening night.

• Like 1

*Begin small Rant*
This could do well in the context of 3-d. If its anything like The In-Between from 21, then it will be a great icon house and probably the first good 3-d house since then.
I thought Alice would've been a great idea for the 3-d mechanic, as nightmarish neon coloration actually kinda fits with the aesthetic of a horror version of the story.
Alice, in my opinion, had the issue of the strobe at the end, and in my run, mismanagement of lines (leading to a very uncomfortable and fairly annoyed me, as we ended up waiting around 2-3 hours for the house and i really needed to use the restroom at about 90 minutes into the wait) and the scareactors being slightly off cue for my portion of the line. It was a neat nightmarish concept for the story, even given that the madness in an asylum story idea has been used before in other media. 

I'll have to watch it later on youtube as I will be on contract, and get a synopsis, but I think it could be a good house.

No matter the possibility of a switching mechanic, this is the ICON's house. Thus I believe more than a good amount of work will be put in here and it will hopefully shine through as an amazing house. Chance deserves, well, a chance. Even if the house involves the 3-D mechanic.
*End of Rant*

Looks interesting though. given her split personalities.
have a good night! or more likely, good nightmare, HHNightmares, Good night.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, grimangel53 said:

No matter the possibility of a switching mechanic, this is the ICON's house. Thus I believe more than a good amount of work will be put in here and it will hopefully shine through as an amazing house. Chance deserves, well, a chance. Even if the house involves the 3-D mechanic.

'Reflections of Fear' in 2008 was an Icon House as well, and that wasn't very well- liked. Though, part of that might have been its bad location (It was a House with a lot of special effects, and Houses that were located in the Jaws queue tended to have their effects malfunction quite often, as was the case in ROF).
That being said, I like Chance, and the concept for the House sounds interesting. I look forward to entering it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, grimangel53 said:

Alice, in my opinion, had the issue of the strobe at the end, and in my run, mismanagement of lines (leading to a very uncomfortable and fairly annoyed me, as we ended up waiting around 2-3 hours for the house and i really needed to use the restroom at about 90 minutes into the wait) and the scareactors being slightly off cue for my portion of the line. It was a neat nightmarish concept for the story, even given that the madness in an asylum story idea has been used before in other media.

Jeez, what night did you go that it got that bad?

Edited by SeaBass

On 23 August 2016 at 9:07 PM, Nightcrawler said:

'Reflections of Fear' in 2008 was an Icon House as well, and that wasn't very well- liked. Though, part of that might have been its bad location (It was a House with a lot of special effects, and Houses that were located in the Jaws queue tended to have their effects malfunction quite often, as was the case in ROF).
That being said, I like Chance, and the concept for the House sounds interesting. I look forward to entering it.

I have said it before and I will say it again... I really enjoyed Reflections of Fear. You know why? The website. That website was amazing. Every week it was updated with a new story/patient. You watched Dr. Mary Agana transform into Bloody Mary. All through her patient encounters. And thats exactly how the house played out. I remember sitting on the edge of my seat each week waiting to read about the next patient. Yeah ok, the house wasn't that scary, but the story.. The story was amazing. 

Just so this post in on Topic with Chances house: I'm hoping the story telling is great in this house. Because that will redeem the 3-D factor. 

On 8/25/2016 at 8:51 PM, Brandon said:

I have said it before and I will say it again... I really enjoyed Reflections of Fear. You know why? The website. That website was amazing. Every week it was updated with a new story/patient. You watched Dr. Mary Agana transform into Bloody Mary. All through her patient encounters. And thats exactly how the house played out. I remember sitting on the edge of my seat each week waiting to read about the next patient. Yeah ok, the house wasn't that scary, but the story.. The story was amazing. 

Just so this post in on Topic with Chances house: I'm hoping the story telling is great in this house. Because that will redeem the 3-D factor. 

I fully agree, the 2008 website was magnificent with probably the single best backstory I've seen for an Icon, I wish this year's website had done something half as cool as that. I was just meaning that the House itself had some bugs (i.e. the inflating walls would often malfunction).
Back on topic, I wonder what it will be like, with the House separating Chance's "Real- life" experiences in the asylum with her imagination/ hallucinations? Should we just keep the 3D glasses on all through the House?

I think the exit zigzag could be really interesting...after it's completely dark out.  A waist high black wall with whatever crazy colors on it that appear to be 3D, but then from mid height, just regular dark outside.  That could be an interesting mindf*** with dancing blobs of light in half your field of view and just the regular outside for the other half.  And not knowing where you're going would mean you'd have to look down to see where to go.  Could be really disorienting.  They just better not have giant spotlights nearby.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

9/16/2016

I'm not one of those people who HATES 3-d houses with a passion. Sure, there have been some not-so-great 3-d houses in the past but there have also been some good ones that I have really enjoyed. This is NOT one of the good ones. The house is terrible. Not a single scare and very uninspired set. The execution of the concept is terrible. The description doesn't match up with the finished product. It's a mess. Sure, the scares could potentially improve as the scareactors continue to practice their craft but they don't have much to work with in their environment. If I didn't have Express, I would probably not make it a point to revisit. 

1 out of 5

• Like 1

It

2 hours ago, noubaguy said:

9/16/2016

I'm not one of those people who HATES 3-d houses with a passion. Sure, there have been some not-so-great 3-d houses in the past but there have also been some good ones that I have really enjoyed. This is NOT one of the good ones. The house is terrible. Not a single scare and very uninspired set. The execution of the concept is terrible. The description doesn't match up with the finished product. It's a mess. Sure, the scares could potentially improve as the scareactors continue to practice their craft but they don't have much to work with in their environment. If I didn't have Express, I would probably not make it a point to revisit. 

1 out of 5

I agree with this. Pretty poor house. Chance's mind is not that cool lol. 

Pretty typical 3D house. If you liked the ones in the past (other than the In-Between, which was a phenomenal and immersive usage of 3D tech instead of a gimmick house), you'll probably like this. If you're comparing it to the other houses, it's just okay.

• Mark M. changed the title to Lunatics Playground 3D: You Won’t Stand A Chance