The Exorcist

King_K.

It's kind of weird how this movie, this house was such a dream project for them (If I remember correctly) since its just one room over and over.... It would have made sense if they made a house of the entire franchise itself, or the best scenes from the franchise or something... (or a house based on the prequel) 

Just now, DarthSpielberg said:

This house really improved from preview night to opening night. A lot more actors makes the house feel scarier. I was scared that this house was just going to rely on props and dummies because of how many scenes featured them without actors on opening night. Now I'd rank this house as pretty great. 

Right now it's tied with Halloween as my favorite house. I'm glad they did this.

I'm divided. In terms of effects and scenery, the house is absolutely brilliant. It's incredibly pretty and perfectly engages with the more metaphorical "mindspace" scenes that don't simply replicate movie scenes. At the same time, I felt like the actors needed better positioning or performance to really get big scares. 

• Like 2

9/16/2016

I have a few issues with this house. Usually, I appreciate make-up over masks; however, the make-up in this house is not very effective. I feel the Regan's don't look vicious enough. They need to incorporate more silicone applications to really get a more realistic morphed/demonic face. I could see through the makeup and just see girls with "scary" contact lenses. Maybe it's just me. Also, the performances are pretty lackluster. I realize that they need to be careful about injuries and whatnot but I wish their movements were more aggressive and violent. They need to me more jolty/jerky and less choreographed. I also realize they can't be tied up to the bed due to safety/security reasons but wish they could "simulate" her being tied up. It just looks like she's tossing and turning in bed because she can't sleep. Why would she just stay in bed? She's free to walk around. It doesn't make sense. Also, rather than solely interacting with the priests, she should be interacting with the audience as they walk-through. Lastly, I wish the animated figures were of higher quality. They look so obviously fake. I have a good imagination but some of these figures look so bad, my imagination isn't enough to buy into the scene.

I know it may sound like I'm nitpicking or being overly-critical but I know what HHN is capable of and it's disappointing to see missed opportunities. The house is still a good/entertaining house as a whole with neat ideas sprinkled throughout and some good atmosphere but it's nowhere near what it COULD be. It may be too late to change make-up and set pieces but the performances COULD get better in the coming days. I'm hoping this is the case and I can raise my rating because The Exorcist has and always will be on the top of my list of scariest movies and wish the house could live up to the movie. 

3 OUT OF 5

• Like 1

hands down my FAVORITE house of HHN 26! Every time we couldn't decide what house to do..BACK to Exorcist we went (lol).

I must've done this house 4 times and EACh tmie I exited I was breathing hard....the movie is still as intense as the day I watched it and apparently, the house had the SAME effect....mission accomplished Universal creative.

if I had one complaint...all 4 times I did the house:

the "spider walk" Regan was OFF/NOT WORKING! was OFF each and every time and was dissappointed I never got to see this effect working.

Since I don't plan on returning I'll have to wait on YT video to pop showing how the effect works.

• Like 1

Seriously this house was so good. Like I love this house so much. I watched the movie like the night before I left so it was fresh in my mind, and it was such a wonderful adaptation of the movie. And I got some really good scares. Those damn Pazuzus are creepy. Luckily, my nose isn't that sensitive to scents, so I didn't smell much vomit. I did get a whiff during the UTH and it really turned my stomach. 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2016 at 2:45 PM, criticalanalysis said:

Based on their execution of Alice in Wonderland last year I hope they learned their lesson about taking too many liberties with a property. 

That 3-D Alice house should've never been 3-D int he first place. The house would've worked much better as an expansion of the Alice scenes from SCARY TALES back in 2008. Of course if they did that, they would've had to change up the recycle house that year ("Jack's 25 years ..." I think it was called).

• Like 1

went through this house 4 times. i think its my fav house of the year. perfectly executed house based on a film that didnt have a ton of landscapes to work with. the first hallway with the Pazuzu statues was brilliant.

Now the only thing I DIDN'T like was.... I walk in trying to hear the narration intro and all I can hear is some kid yelling "please keep going. Single file. Use all space. blah blah blah..." so f**king annoying. It doesnt make me speed up at all.

7 hours ago, clash said:

has there been any stories of any spooky or paranormal things happening in this house?

Our tour guide said that on the UMTH tour with TimTracker the first weekend, someone's phone started taking random pictures of the tour guide in blurry form.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RustySomebody said:

True, he mentioned it on his vlog post after he and Jen did their tour.

Yeah And I got the same tour guide as them, Kellye as well as she was my tour guide for last year's Unmasking tour which was cool! But She showed us the pictures which was weird.

16 hours ago, OrangeRyan said:

Our tour guide said that on the UMTH tour with TimTracker the first weekend, someone's phone started taking random pictures of the tour guide in blurry form.

this is the reason i asked lol, because of Tim Tracker's video

but I wonder if any of the actors have had any weird things happening. or any spooky stories. 

Yesterday  I walked through this house around 6:00 PM since it was a walk-on. I literally had to be lead through the first 3 rooms by an OPS person and then several times in the house I had to stop and wait for one to find me so I could figure out where to go/which way to turn to continue on in this house. I finally caught up with people so I could at least figure out where to go...

I know that this isn't the only house that this happens in and it's the nature of going into a dark house from the outside, but it is very disorienting and doesn't make for a great house experience.

If I was to only walk through this one at opening, I would certainly not enjoy it and would rank it very low on my list. The house is better than that, so I try to tell people who ask to do this one more than once or at least when it's dark outside.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • Mark M. changed the title to The Exorcist