Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion

Mark M.

21 hours ago, SeventyOne said:

Funny, I went to Catharsis and found it such a pile of dog squeeze I actually softened my criticism of this year's HHN a bit. Even at it's worst I find HHN miles ahead of that in terms of design, effects and scares. Ditto that raved about haunt in Winter Haven I went to 3 years ago.

You might not have liked it, I did, but the point is they at least tried something new.  I went in by myself and loved what they attempted to do.  There was thought behind it and maybe next year the sets and design will be better.

Scream A Geddon near Tampa is also new and very good.  The point I was making is that there are others out there that are hungry and really want to scare you.  I am so tired of walking through houses at HHN and picking out sets from past years more than I am being scared.  The recorded audio is simply stupid.  More people laughed in the Exorcist than screamed.  It was embarrassing.  The last room with the "take me!  take me!" and that deformed, laughably bad Regan doll with curled up polio legs was just pitiful.  

I don't even care about crowds because I genuinely look forward to what is in the house.  People loved Ghost Town's sets.  Why?  Why should I get excited about a set when the content of the house sucks?  I honestly have no idea why people like this year's house.  The original was good and that's where it should have stayed.

IPs are great and all, but they limit creativity.  We all know what to expect when going into an IP house. It's like a walking museum.  Original houses have things we have never seen, and are therefor much better at scaring us.  I used to leave HHN full of awesome ideas that I wanted to implement at home.  After the Hallow a few years ago, I decorated my entire yard based on that house.  This year I left each night wishing I could feel that way again.  It's not that hard ya know.  They could stop this shoving IP down the throat crap, put some atmosphere into the parks again, make it immersive instead of it being nothing but walkways to soundstages so we can marvel at the Facades.  

I know people will get shitty about this, but it's the truth.  There is nothing about "missing the old days" because we are old timers.  What made us fans to begin with?  What made me go for so many years and save up for months so I could buy every single piece of merch?  It sure as hell wasnt 5 years of the Walking Dead.

Edited by blueoktober
  • Like 2

On 10/31/2016 at 2:48 PM, SeventyOne said:

The problem is as crowds increase, the natural inclination seems to be up the number of houses with long queues to keep people off the streets. I know the fanbois would love a 12-house event across two parks, but I fear we'd get 4 good houses, 8 mediocre at best. You can already see it in the scare-zones; all the effort went into Vamp and Dead Man's Wharf, leaving 3 or 4 cheerleaders and geishas to walk around a completely undecorated street. (The roaming hordes that don't roam and aren't very populous.)

Ultimately it means Universal needs to find a better way to handle crowds, the #1 complaint about the event for decades. Need to jack up the criminally low prices of their multi-day tickets, maybe phase those out all together. Raise the 1-day price, too, and cap attendance like MNSSHP. More outside shows, too. I think they've stretched content as far as they can. But ultimately I'd rather pay more for 6 good houses that I can actually see in a night than the cluster the event has been allowed to devolve into.

That subject comes up every single year and every single year the same question gets asked or pointed out by someone (which is why im saying it now lol) 
the busiest day is Saturdays and neither multi day tickets allow you on saturday (Besides the NEW ticket this year) how can you explain that the busiest day is the same day that Does NOT allow Frequent fear? sure limit or phase out those all together, the busiest day will still be the day that didn't allow either of those tickets (I dont really know how many people bought the new ticket that allows you Saturdays but im not sure it was that many people) 

I mean, really. And if you say "saturdays were busy because of the new Frequent fear pass" then what about last year, and the year before that? and the year before that? Saturdays are always the busiest and there was no FFP for that.... i mean, really this conversation has happened every year lol. Plus because of work and stuff not a lot of people can go every day. the weekdays are not that crowded. you would think Wed and Thurs would be the busiest days of the event and yet they arent. the days of the FFP are not even the busiest..... the busiest is always the weekend. how do you explain that? 

4 hours ago, blueoktober said:

You might not have liked it, I did, but the point is they at least tried something new.  I went in by myself and loved what they attempted to do.  There was thought behind it and maybe next year the sets and design will be better.

Scream A Geddon near Tampa is also new and very good.  The point I was making is that there are others out there that are hungry and really want to scare you.  I am so tired of walking through houses at HHN and picking out sets from past years more than I am being scared.  The recorded audio is simply stupid.  More people laughed in the Exorcist than screamed.  It was embarrassing.  The last room with the "take me!  take me!" and that deformed, laughably bad Regan doll with curled up polio legs was just pitiful.  

I don't even care about crowds because I genuinely look forward to what is in the house.  People loved Ghost Town's sets.  Why?  Why should I get excited about a set when the content of the house sucks?  I honestly have no idea why people like this year's house.  The original was good and that's where it should have stayed.

IPs are great and all, but they limit creativity.  We all know what to expect when going into an IP house. It's like a walking museum.  Original houses have things we have never seen, and are therefor much better at scaring us.  I used to leave HHN full of awesome ideas that I wanted to implement at home.  After the Hallow a few years ago, I decorated my entire yard based on that house.  This year I left each night wishing I could feel that way again.  It's not that hard ya know.  They could stop this shoving IP down the throat crap, put some atmosphere into the parks again, make it immersive instead of it being nothing but walkways to soundstages so we can marvel at the Facades.  

I know people will get shitty about this, but it's the truth.  There is nothing about "missing the old days" because we are old timers.  What made us fans to begin with?  What made me go for so many years and save up for months so I could buy every single piece of merch?  It sure as hell wasnt 5 years of the Walking Dead.

the funny thing is that some people say that the event is "Too scary" lol. I agree that I wish it was scarier or more creative but it could be worse. they could make less houses or get rid of the scaerzones or get rid of the shows. 
specially after the drama from last year with abusive guests hurting the actors and the stuff that was blogged about. imagine if there are no zones anymore (One of the surveys this year that I got asked if the scarezones were good or not, why are they good or something like that) 
there are things about HHN I dont like and there are houses I hated. as well as zones i didnt like. but I dont think the event is as bad as some of you guys are putting it. 

They could always take the budget and instead of making 9 houses they could make 5 really really really GOOD houses, but then everyone would freak out that there arent enough houses. the general public would throw a fit and demand a refund. 
sure only 5 houses out of 9 are really good, but those other 4 houses help with variety and those houses have their fans. Even Lunatics has fans now. Universal makes enough houses to have a lot of variety 
I personally have had problems with the quality of some houses but I cant deny that I am glad we have 9 houses instead of 6... that would kind of suck 

20 hours ago, blueoktober said:

I am so tired of walking through houses at HHN and picking out sets from past years more than I am being scared.  The recorded audio is simply stupid.  More people laughed in the Exorcist than screamed.  It was embarrassing.  The last room with the "take me!  take me!" and that deformed, laughably bad Regan doll with curled up polio legs was just pitiful.  

I agree with you more than 100%.

Looks like the rose colored glasses are coming off of us fans this year and many are realizing 26 was a mediocre year.

Edited by criticalanalysis
  • Like 3

really good 2 last nights. Friday was completely dead. every house was 5 minutes. Texas chainsaw was 0 minutes, you would just walk right in. (the workers actually set up a line for people to take pictures in the Facade and that line was longer than the one to enter the house lol, there were like 13 people in line waiting for pictures.  really cool friday night. got to do all houses by 9 and repeat some of them from 9 to 9:30. There were some actors missing from the houses but not too many. (AHS was at 25 min) 

It rained around 10 so it was really really dead.
Saturday was a little more crowded but lines stayed at 20-30 minutes. AHS was at 40. still not too many people. last AOV was pretty cool. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, clash said:

really good 2 last nights. Friday was completely dead. every house was 5 minutes. Texas chainsaw was 0 minutes, you would just walk right in.  

Friday was awesome!  Reminded me of how final nights used to be years ago.  But, damn, that rain came out of nowhere and really came down. We were watching AOV when the skies opened up. If they're not awesome as is, seeing them moving and flipping in the rain was just that more impressive.

Leading up to the event, I though Vamp55 was going to be super lame. Ended up being my fave zone. That being said, the zones are still way under par.

I'm not really a "show" person and had no idea what they were thinking when announcing AOV.  Hot damn!!  Please bring them back yearly!

• Like 2

Academy of villains definitely needs to come back. It must. They are too awesome.  I know this is sacrilege and will never ever happen, but i would be ok with aov replacing bill and ted for one year. Or maybe incorporating aov to bill and ted ( have bill and ted join them or something?) And have an icon show as well

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clash said:

Academy of villains definitely needs to come back. It must. They are too awesome.  I know this is sacrilege and will never ever happen, but i would be ok with aov replacing bill and ted for one year. Or maybe incorporating aov to bill and ted ( have bill and ted join them or something?) And have an icon show as well

Keep Bill & Ted and AOV, but switch their stages.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, clash said:

At this point, I wouldn't mind if they stopped doing B&T altogether. This year's show was just horrendous - worst I've ever seen (and as someone that's been going since '98, that's saying a lot). If they don't want to hire writers that actually know the basic elements of comedy for the show, then I think the budget for it is better off going into the houses and scarezones instead.

• Like 2

On 11/6/2016 at 0:35 PM, ForeverEvil1 said:

As announced by Orlando Informer on Twitter:

HOTY: American Horror Story (See ya at HHN27.)

SOTY: Dead Man's Wharf (I personally consider this an upset.)

I was so happy to learn my house got house of the year in that closing hour. Makes all the hard work pay off.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Cupcakes said:

At this point, I wouldn't mind if they stopped doing B&T altogether. This year's show was just horrendous - worst I've ever seen (and as someone that's been going since '98, that's saying a lot). If they don't want to hire writers that actually know the basic elements of comedy for the show, then I think the budget for it is better off going into the houses and scarezones instead.

The hardcore fanbase would probably get very angry and complain strongly.

The show might have the worst script ever created and fans will still love it. 

I do wish they tried something else, a different show  but i dont think bill and ted are going anywhere. 

My only hope is that they could incorporate a different element to the show. I wish they made something like "bill and ted meets" other characters. The show needs a new element to save it. 

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 0:35 PM, ForeverEvil1 said:

SOTY: Dead Man's Wharf (I personally consider this an upset.)

My friend worked Vamp55.  He said they were plagued all season with call outs - and that's a factor that goes into the weekly and yearly voting.  The zone was definitely the fan favorite.

• Like 2