Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion

Mark M.

18 minutes ago, DarthSpielberg said:

1. The website didn't fail. it does exactly what they want it to. Fancy flash websites are kind of a thing of the past for events all over the country, not just HHN. 

http://www.halloweenhorrornights.com.sg/

19 minutes ago, DarthSpielberg said:

2. the event runs for 30 something nights, social media is going to be back in a large way once it kicks off. the official twitter and facebook were amazing last year in terms of guest interactions. 

Should've carried over their old elements (HHN14/15/16/17) style house audio, teasers, etc to social media.

20 minutes ago, DarthSpielberg said:

3. The event is starting much earlier this year, and time is short. there will be something to appease the media soon. 

There's always time. They didn't plan well.

4. There are several billboards, some good some bad and holy moly, if a billboard is something you care about in terms of the entire event, wow. 

It reflects on the quality of the event. 

6. Not yet. That won't happen until after Rock the Universe. Like most years. Holy moly, this is an inane complaint. 

Not when they used to go all out in decorating.

21 minutes ago, DarthSpielberg said:

There is no way to tie these properties together with any sense of coherence, and the only way to fix that is to do away with IPs which is never ever going to happen 

The Usher back again would've been awesome. He was a very cool legitimate icon.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DarthSpielberg said:

"Not wrong on any of these"

Opinion isn't facts. It's opinion. Let me counter, shall I? 

13. Prices increase ever year, nothing new here. 

Price increases happen, it is obviously a part of doing business. However, the amount of the increase over the past 2 years is not a normal amount. They are getting greedy. I hope that for the amount we're paying this year the final product is better than what we've been presented thus far (social media, website, commercial, goofy facade, etc.). They already know they're going to rake in $ regardless of what they do this year due to the event's popularity. Due to this, they better not just half ass stuff just because they can. 

Edited by ThNdIzNiR
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, TheUsherette said:

Have y'all been checking out the little Chance clips on the facebook? They're pretty neat. Definitely feels a little old school (coming from someone who wasn't around for the old school lol). It's nice to see more Chance out there for the public.

Hm am I missing something? The only recent thing I see with Chance in it is the commercial

10 minutes ago, King_K. said:

I'll keep it short since I don't want to ruffle any feathers. Experience the event, then make your critiques.

How exactly do you expect us to walk through an entire event , 9 houses, 5 scare zones and enjoy it when really all we can think about is just how plain the billboard is we saw once two weeks ago? 

• Like 19

6 hours ago, ScottEdmondson41 said:

i believe HHN posted these on Facebook originally, but I can't find it there, anyway here's these Chance clips they released reposted by somebody on twitter

You know what those remind me of? The "Death/Game Over" cuts from the Batman: Arkham Game franchise. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, criticalanalysis said:

It reflects on the quality of the event. 

So in your opinion, the billboard reflects on the quality of the event. Ok, let's rewind to 2008. Bloody Mary. Where the billboards were giant mirrors with Bloody Mary herself and bloody writing which got the ire of some concernipated mother. How did that billboard "reflect" on the events quality? Since overall it was on the mixed side. It was definitely a year for scare zones, but not everything was firing on all cylinders for the houses. An' since the billboards were primarily (and often solely) focused on Blood Mary, did it also reflect that the quality of the the event had a massive black eye in the form of Reflections of Fear, one of the worst houses in Horror Nights history?

Just throwing it out there, but I joined this board because I'm stoked to check everything out for my first time and get pointers and advice from everyone. Stopped checking this forum near as much because of the constant negativity. I think everything they've announced is awesome, but also get that I never got to see the years that people considered HHN in its 'prime.' Things may be different, but damn, at least let people check the employee sneak peak (or whatever it's called)! If you want to tell me to get fucked for being a nu-nee or whatever, that's fine, but I'm just giving an honest outside opinion. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, DM1996 said:

I know there's another forum for merchandise, but I'm just gonna post it here too. 

Here's some of this year's merchandise for HHN 26. This was found off of Universal Orlando's website under merchandise. These are obviously not all the merch, and the rest won't be revealed till we're closer to the event.

https://www.universalorlando.com/Merchandise/ProductList.aspx?q=Halloween+horror+nights

LIT! Absolutely lit! I'm going to have to make some purchases here soon!

On September 7, 2016 at 6:22 PM, Jediwhit82 said:

I think for a facade on the outside the tents are still a given, especially Texas Chansaw. Tomb could go either way. I don't know if Chance will have enough space for an indoor facade. Krampus will probably be right in side of the building. Ghost Town and Exorcist will be inside. AHS will hopefully have 3 facades, the murder house, the freak show entrance, and something from Hotel(haven't seen it yet) And I don't care either way about TWD does.

AHS WILL be getting a facade for the entrance of each section.

I have to agree on most, if not all, of the points that were mentioned by criticalanalysis. Most of the people "disagreeing" with his points and saying "WOW you're basing the event off of  silly things" were not around to see the event at its prime. They've only been around for the "IP-era" of the event. (Watching videos on YouTube doesn't count.) It's just extremely disappointing seeing how great the event WAS and comparing it to what it has become today, a money-making machine rather than an event that you could TELL was put together by extremely IMAGINATIVE and creative people. Imaginative is being able to create 8 amazing ORIGINAL haunted houses, scarezones and even a live show whose story lines all coincide with each other (HHN 15). Watching a movie or TV show and turning it into a haunted house does of course require creativity, but imagination, not very much. All the while prices are skyrocketing, which yes, is normal for any event, but instead of getting more, we're getting the SAME, if not less. So if you're going to turn a blind eye to the "accessories" of the event (website, advertising, quality of printed material, etc) and just base the event off of the haunted houses, sure, the event is a blast. Universal is the best in the business in that department. Will I be there on opening night? Hell yes. Have I paid over $300 for a Frequent Fear Pass? Absolutely. But there's nothing wrong with comparing an event that has been apart of your life since pretty much childhood and being saddened by it's current state.

This is a forum, which, correct me if I'm wrong, is a place where people are open to "whine, cry and complain", so please stop the whining, crying and complaining of the people whining, crying and complaining. :)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tobias said:

So in your opinion, the billboard reflects on the quality of the event. Ok, let's rewind to 2008. Bloody Mary. Where the billboards were giant mirrors with Bloody Mary herself and bloody writing which got the ire of some concernipated mother. How did that billboard "reflect" on the events quality? Since overall it was on the mixed side. It was definitely a year for scare zones, but not everything was firing on all cylinders for the houses. An' since the billboards were primarily (and often solely) focused on Blood Mary, did it also reflect that the quality of the the event had a massive black eye in the form of Reflections of Fear, one of the worst houses in Horror Nights history?

aahH0E.jpg

One of their coolest, if not the coolest, billboards they've made in my opinion. It's creepy, creative, and reflects on the originality of the event. The website in 2008 was also great. Very imaginative year, too.

http://websites.horrornights.be/2008site/index.php

Edited by criticalanalysis
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, criticalanalysis said:

aahH0E.jpg

One of their coolest, if not the coolest, billboards they've made in my opinion. It's creepy, creative, and reflects on the originality of the event. The website in 2008 was also great. Very imaginative year, too.

Oh wow i didnt realize how cool the billboard was that year. I dont want to take sides but I have to say that was the best year overall for me since going from 2004. 

Edit: critical maybe on to somthing due to this. I don't know. Maybe it's part of a reflection of how much passion and attention to detail they put into the event that particular year. I mean everything was good. The website, billboard, houses and scares zones. Even the entrance was pretty cool with that big screen of her. 

Edited by JunoSynth
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Hhnsophmore said:

How exactly do you expect us to walk through an entire event , 9 houses, 5 scare zones and enjoy it when really all we can think about is just how plain the billboard is we saw once two weeks ago? 

#savage LOL

It's Halloween time. Everyone chill. Enjoy the season, enjoy the event.

If you are lucky enough to go to HHN, then you are lucky enough.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, criticalanalysis said:

Well I thank you for giving your reasoning, even though personally I wouldn't look into the quality of a event by a simple piece of marketing. After all while the billboard and website was great no doubt, you would think a highly imaginative year like that wouldn't have a turd like Reflections of Fear. An' for me that's a knock on the overall quality of the event.

1 hour ago, Vampyr said:

Imaginative is being able to create 8 amazing ORIGINAL haunted houses, scarezones and even a live show whose story lines all coincide with each other (HHN 15).

Imaginative? Yes. But being clever about connecting everything to a main story doesn't equate to the houses being amazing. Quite the contrary since most of the houses for 15 we're pretty weak compared to other years around that time. Also, there were 7 houses that year. (Body Collectors, Demon Cantina, Terror Mines, Where Evil Hides (I don't count the ADA accessable route as a extra house.), The Skool, Blood Ruins and Cold, Blind, Terror.) ...unless you're counting that chain link maze that was in the Boneyard. Which quite frankly doesn't help the house line up if you consider that a house.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, criticalanalysis said:

aahH0E.jpg

What is the event (I know, it's in the URL at the bottom)?  Is it even an event or is it a year round thing?  Where is it?  When is it?  Can I go today?  I heard a radio ad about Bloody Mary, is this a Mary Mary Mary the same thing?  Is it just like one maze or something?  Is it a movie?  I'm doing 75mph on the Beeline, that's a long URL to remember to find out what the hell this is all about.  She looks cool though, I'll try to remember to go see the "Mary Mary Mary" movie when it comes out.

Very bad billboard from my point of view.  If they put the logo with "Universal Orlando" in it, timeframe of the event, and "x all new haunted houses and x terrifying new scare zones" or something else it would be awesome.  The logo would have some brand recognition.  The title of the event and the location are key.  And showing more than just one character for an event, IE showing it has more to offer, will pique more interest.  Even if it's just text.  I know you want simplicity in a billboard, but this has ZERO information and the only thing included is a 20-something character long URL I have to try to remember when I get to my destination.  It's oversimplified to the point of being useless.

Yes, someone in the know would love it.  When I fly in from NY, after researching the event for months, and see that billboard leaving the airport it's AWESOME!  But guess what?  I was already sold.  My liking the billboard gives no benefits whatsoever to Universal.

The visuals are great, but it's just a pretty picture with no info.  I'm sure the surveys and stuff they've submitted and everything are what led them to not do ones like this anymore.   It's always on the survey, "Did you see any billboards?  Did they influence your desire to attend?"  I'd wager that this billboard would generate about 75% of respondents saying they didn't see any billboards for the event and an even higher percentage saying it didn't influence their desire to attend at all.

Now Disney, with brand recognition with their characters and the fact that everybody knows they are characters, can put up a plain old Micky Mouse sign with no details as it's a year round park and the character recognition is already there.  A one off event character with a limited time run and no brand recognition to know where/what it is is a failure from a marketing perspective...and that's the sole purpose of billboards (I know political, social, anti DWI, etc ones are different).

None of it really matters. You either accept the changes or you don't. You can go crazy worrying about what has been or "could be" but, it will not effect what will be.

Like C3P0's leg... you DON'T remember it to always be gold. It was ALWAYS silver. Even if you DO remember it to be gold you are mistaken. So... where was I going with that? Uh never mind. You don't remember it anyway.

10 hours ago, Brandon_Voorhees said:

Just throwing it out there, but I joined this board because I'm stoked to check everything out for my first time and get pointers and advice from everyone. Stopped checking this forum near as much because of the constant negativity. I think everything they've announced is awesome, but also get that I never got to see the years that people considered HHN in its 'prime.' Things may be different, but damn, at least let people check the employee sneak peak (or whatever it's called)! If you want to tell me to get fucked for being a nu-nee or whatever, that's fine, but I'm just giving an honest outside opinion. 

It's pretty par for the course. Always has been. But I agree. People need to chill.

I'll be there Friday with bells on... well actually no not with bells (security would wrestle me to the ground for that). I will be there none the less so if you see a guy with a glowing purple tie (if that is allowed, they may consider it a garotte) say hi.

• Like 4