Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion

Mark M.

3 hours ago, Primusjim said:

Anybody else watching / rewatching all the movies and shows related to this year's event? We've been doing this the last couple of weeks so we can hopefully appreciate the details that they put in each of the houses.

Krampus - It wasn't as amazing as I was hoping it would be, but the creature and set design were incredible. So it has the potential to be a great house. I'm hoping for ice-covered suburban living rooms with split-open fire places.

Halloween 2 - I forgot how incredibly cheesy this movie was. It should still be possible for it to make a good house. I hope we get a Michael Myers who has been perfectly shot through each eye hole of his mask blindly swinging a scalpel around near the end.

The Walking Dead - We've already seen all the episodes, and like everyone else, are struggling to work up any interest in yet another house. It'd be nice if they found a way to change this up enough to make it interesting, but I'm not hopeful.

American Horror Story - We've watched the first three seasons so far. (Yes, I know only the first of those will be featured in this year's house. I'm way too anal to watch the seasons out of order) The show is fun, but I'm having a hard time seeing how it will translate to a maze. It seems like a lot of the creepy stuff, at least so far, isn't really visual. Most of the ghosts in the murder house just look like regular people. I hope the stuff from the first season isn't just Rubberman jumping out at you several times.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Watching this tonight.

The Exorcist - Soon.

Bill and Ted - No need to watch the movies for the hundredth time, but we may try to watch more of the stuff that they make fun of this year since there are always a couple of references that we don't get.

murder house has that weird creepy baby in the basement and has the burnt ghosts, the evil doctor, if they do let's say 3 rooms per season, thats already enough. 

even if the ghosts are just people, how is that different than the ghosts from Insidious? that house had normal looking people ghosts 

1 hour ago, clash said:

murder house has that weird creepy baby in the basement and has the burnt ghosts, the evil doctor, if they do let's say 3 rooms per season, thats already enough. 

even if the ghosts are just people, how is that different than the ghosts from Insidious? that house had normal looking people ghosts 

Not to spoil anything for your AHS viewing, but seasons 4 and 5 have plenty of nightmare fuel.

1 hour ago, RustySomebody said:

Not to spoil anything for your AHS viewing, but seasons 4 and 5 have plenty of nightmare fuel.

Ive seen all of them lol, I was just saying that season 1 might be lacking in scary characters but they have enough for a couple of rooms 

11 minutes ago, clash said:

Ive seen all of them lol, I was just saying that season 1 might be lacking in scary characters but they have enough for a couple of rooms 

Well I think there is plenty of things to do with season 1. 

*Spoiler* 

**Anything with the "gimp" suit. The doctor, the fire, the thing in the attic, the ritual killing group, what happened to Tate...

I think the first season will be represented really well. 

6 hours ago, Brandon said:

Well I think there is plenty of things to do with season 1. 

*Spoiler* 

**Anything with the "gimp" suit. The doctor, the fire, the thing in the attic, the ritual killing group, what happened to Tate...

I think the first season will be represented really well. 

If they arnt doing purge because of pulse, then there is no way we will get anything of Tate's rampage represented.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, clash said:

well to be fair bill and Ted is Part of Hallowen Horror nights.. thats just how it is.  thats kinda  like me having a fear of spiders or dragons but wanting to do the potter ride lol, HHN is an event that you paid extra to get into, you are literally choosing to enter it. technically everyone is there for the houses and the streets and the horror stuff. Sure bill and ted is fun, but having a safe passage for people that just want to see Bill and ted and not experience anything scary seems like a very specific thing that not a lot of people would need. 

Perhaps they could sell a special kind of hat or shirt that would allow the actors to know to NOT scare that person, I could see something like that being a better alternative. maybe they could sell a specific blinky hat that would warn actors to not mess with that person. But still bill and ted IS part of the horror event. 

This is true, but my point is less 'there should be a way to get to B&T without going through zones' and more 'there should be better communication about where people with disabilities and varying needs can take a break from the scares'. Just like how those of us who use the AAP need a break from the crowds and such. I LOVE HHN, I love being scared, but I have a smaller 'capacity' of how much I can handle. I meet the park halfway by mapping out my own path through the park, where I can take a break, etc. Just wish there was the same kind of guide to HHN as there is for the park itself for those of us with these needs.

IIRC Universal is slowly starting to bring in more people to their Diversity and Inclusion department, specifically for disability access type stuff, so my fingers are crossed that they will improve in that area. I always have a laugh when people tell me 'you should avoid HHN if you're like this, you chose to go'. I like HHN *because* I'm autistic, as it has become a special interest of mine. 

Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled discussion.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, clash said:

Perhaps they could sell a special kind of hat or shirt that would allow the actors to know to NOT scare that person, I could see something like that being a better alternative. maybe they could sell a specific blinky hat that would warn actors to not mess with that person. But still bill and ted IS part of the horror event. 

I've actually seen this done at a few places (usually some type of glowtsick or necklace). I get a kick out of it because most people are basically paying to get scared. For those who already paid the scared fee, they can charge you additionally for you to not get scared while at a place you paid to get scared at... Only in America!

Edited by ThNdIzNiR
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Alice said:

This is true, but my point is less 'there should be a way to get to B&T without going through zones' and more 'there should be better communication about where people with disabilities and varying needs can take a break from the scares'. Just like how those of us who use the AAP need a break from the crowds and such. I LOVE HHN, I love being scared, but I have a smaller 'capacity' of how much I can handle. I meet the park halfway by mapping out my own path through the park, where I can take a break, etc. Just wish there was the same kind of guide to HHN as there is for the park itself for those of us with these needs.

IIRC Universal is slowly starting to bring in more people to their Diversity and Inclusion department, specifically for disability access type stuff, so my fingers are crossed that they will improve in that area. I always have a laugh when people tell me 'you should avoid HHN if you're like this, you chose to go'. I like HHN *because* I'm autistic, as it has become a special interest of mine. 

Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled discussion.

The thing is, they already have a ton of these areas in the park. Every restaurant, shop, arcade, ride, etc is "monster free". They can't walk into any of these places. Can they walk by them and up to windows...sure, but its not hard to avoid windows. I have NEVER had an issue getting away from the scares when I want to just have a few minutes to calm my down. I sit in Simpsons restaurant, the arcade by Mummy, Monster Cafe, MIB gift shop and countless other locations. Also, the actors VERY RARELY go onto the sidewalks in the zones they are in. Last year I sat outside Ben and Jerry's in the middle of a scarezone at one of the small tables and was approached by one actor in the course of an hour. They can't set up and staff a ton of "safe zones" all around the park just because a handful of people PAY EXTRA to attend an event to BE SCARED but really they don't want to be scared. 

You also have to remember this is a big "party" for a lot of people. College kids get drunk and one drunk person goes into a "safe area" (which are easy to find if they are all labeled like you want) and scares somebody and then Universal has a whole new issue to deal with. It's best to just keep the TON of safe zones we already have rather than "inviting" the the drunks and stupid people to enter a LABELED safe zone with the intention of scaring people inside it. 

1 minute ago, Jediwhit82 said:

I know there is a hurricane going on down there, will this affect scare zones, and has it in the past(minus field of screams)

Nope.

@drubov on Twitter has the official map. Now someone needs to actually find where it originally came from.

Thanks for posting this. The map seems very cluttered lol. 

23 minutes ago, ForeverEvil1 said:

@drubov on Twitter has the official map. Now someone needs to actually find where it originally came from.

It came from UOteam.com. They have a digital copy of the team member newsletter on there with the map in it.

Edited by marmoset
Fix

The Music Plaza is going to have TWO house lines this year. That's going to be a mess. Also notice how Chances house says it exits near Men in Black while Tomb and TCM exit near Men in Black Restrooms. Really interested to see how these new queues work.

I just noticed they also changed the house entrance for the Shrek house! Wonder how that will work for them. Blocking off the whole street like they did last year was not ideal which is why they changed it near the end of the run. Wonder what they came up with this time around.

6 minutes ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

Is the Survive or Die scare zone larger than what is usually put in there?

Nope, it had the same layout on the map last year. However, they rarely use the area near Fallon and the two other side streets. Hopefully they fix that this year and put stuff in all the streets and move the food stands away from Fallon so that can be used as part of the zone like the maps always claim they do.

Edited by Badge

9 minutes ago, Badge said:

Nope, it had the same layout on the map last year. However, they rarely use the area near Fallon and the two other side streets. Hopefully they fix that this year and put stuff in all the streets and move the food stands away from Fallon so that can be used as part of the zone like the maps always claim they do.

Yeah... I know they've occasionally used those side streets, but I think the area could be utilized better. If they load up those areas on the map that would be awesome. I'd be truly impressed if they use Sting Alley again. I don't know why, but I love that alley.

6 minutes ago, HHN Explorer said:

First look at the store!

All these years I have been going to Universal and I NEVER knew that was a physical building! I always just thought it was a facade to hide the Mummy building. Really excited to see this new store since I would assume they had an empty space to work with and design it from the ground up rather than being forced to work around the Twister gift shop.

2 hours ago, Badge said:

All these years I have been going to Universal and I NEVER knew that was a physical building! I always just thought it was a facade to hide the Mummy building. Really excited to see this new store since I would assume they had an empty space to work with and design it from the ground up rather than being forced to work around the Twister gift shop.

I think it still is part of the Mummy. In the TM guide that was posted, they mention that the store is in the extended queue. So it's still kinda a facade. 

19 hours ago, clash said:

I'd say the ghosts in Insidious looked close to normal people with spooky lighting. The ghosts in Murder House were entirely indistinguishable from living people to the Harmon family. It was just Zachary Quinto waking around talking about Halloween decorations.

I guess we could see the Doctor working on his Frankenstein baby, and maybe the burned guy. I have my fingers crossed for young version of the maid.