Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion

Mark M.

I'm a little afraid of the 6/3 IP/Original  split,and hope next year returns to the more comfortable 5/4 split. but it looks to be a good year.

for IPs, i'm excited that we're getting a sequel to an IP house.
I think that's neat. if we could get a few Returning IPs to work like that, where the returning house is a continuation of the previous one, or something of the sort, i think it very well could be a good selling point and also a neat idea.
(not the walking dead, it needs to be killed off much like CW needs to kill off SPN, but I digress)

the Originals look like they'll be awesome, but Ghost town, from the explanation on the site, seems like it will extensively use strobes, and hopefully they're done well.

Good Night, HHNIGHTMARES, good night.

• Like 1

This will be my second year attending! Really stoked because this is my gf first ever trip out of state, and I've really talked this event up! Quick Question; We wanna make shirts to wear to commemorate our trip as we wanna make this a yearly thing, can we use the HHN Logo? I don't wanna get in trouble for using copyrighted material lol I've been a lurker here for a long time so it's nice to finally post! Here's to a great year! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ragnar said:

This will be my second year attending! Really stoked because this is my gf first ever trip out of state, and I've really talked this event up! Quick Question; We wanna make shirts to wear to commemorate our trip as we wanna make this a yearly thing, can we use the HHN Logo? I don't wanna get in trouble for using copyrighted material lol I've been a lurker here for a long time so it's nice to finally post! Here's to a great year! 

I'm not a lawyer, but I've seen other shirts like this around the park and never heard of Universal going on the attack for it.  If you make 100's and sell them for profit I think you'd have a problem, but a couple or a few I don't see an issue. 

• Like 1

Looooong time Lurker, since 2013.  Embarrassing I know but this year I plan on going opening night. I get off work at 530 and can be changed and at Universal by 645 the latest.  I plan on skipping TWD or atleast seeing that one last also I will not be seeing any shows will I be able to see the other houses without express???

2 hours ago, 407lynx said:

Looooong time Lurker, since 2013.  Embarrassing I know but this year I plan on going opening night. I get off work at 530 and can be changed and at Universal by 645 the latest.  I plan on skipping TWD or atleast seeing that one last also I will not be seeing any shows will I be able to see the other houses without express???

Try to eat before hand so you don't have to waste time with that, and you're gonna have to be smart and walk fast, but you should be able to do it. Can't say for sure without knowing exactly how the crowds will be this year, but I know people have done it in past years. Should be doable. Basically guaranteed with express. You should be able to buy express there though if it looks like you'll need it while you're there.

• Like 1

Honestly if you live that close, I would pay a little extra and get the Rush of Fear ticket. If you have an annual pass, its $81 and if you don't, since you live in FL, its $92. This allows you to go every single night for the first three weeks! While you MIGHT be able to see 8 houses on opening night, you are going to be rushing around and standing in long lines so you might not get to really enjoy the event. Plus, your coming in after opening and on a AP preview night so house lines will be crazy right from the start. With Rush of Fear, you can show up at 7pm, jump into a house or two with a shorter wait and then enjoy the zones and see Bill and Ted (an HHN classic). See another 2-3 houses right before closing and come back another evening (or 3) and see what you missed plus do your favorites again and again. It really is the best, and cheapest, ticket option out there to really ENJOY your time and not feel like your rushing around. So, if your work schedule allows it, drop another $20-$30 a go a few nights...you won't regret it!

• Like 2

you used to get a small window from 6 to 8 where the lines are not as bad and where you can do most of the houses (at 8 is when most people start to arrive and then lines start to get to the hour and a half point) 

But Lately a lot of people are arriving at 6 so you can see some lines be up to 1 hour by 6:30. I think if you are doing only one night then Express is kind of a must. specially with the amount of stuff to do and the amount of people that go early now. If you dont do express then there might be a couple of houses you might have to skip. 

13 minutes ago, Badge said:

Honestly if you live that close, I would pay a little extra and get the Rush of Fear ticket. If you have an annual pass, its $81 and if you don't, since you live in FL, its $92. This allows you to go every single night for the first three weeks! While you MIGHT be able to see 8 houses on opening night, you are going to be rushing around and standing in long lines so you might not get to really enjoy the event. Plus, your coming in after opening and on a AP preview night so house lines will be crazy right from the start. With Rush of Fear, you can show up at 7pm, jump into a house or two with a shorter wait and then enjoy the zones and see Bill and Ted (an HHN classic). See another 2-3 houses right before closing and come back another evening (or 3) and see what you missed plus do your favorites again and again. It really is the best, and cheapest, ticket option out there to really ENJOY your time and not feel like your rushing around. So, if your work schedule allows it, drop another $20-$30 a go a few nights...you won't regret it!

Well yeah if you can getting a rush of fear or frequent fear is definitively recommended if you're local. I'm from Brandon (right outside of Tampa) and every year me and my parents and my cousin get frequent fear passes and get a hotel in Orlando for opening weekend and we go both nights opening weekend and at least one other night some in the rest of the event, maybe more. Most years we don't manage to get all the houses done Friday night, but get like 5 or 6 done Friday and knock out the rest Saturday and then usually get to do a couple again on Saturday. 

Edited by ScottEdmondson41

16 hours ago, Ragnar said:

I make my custom shirt every year with all the logos. Never had an issue. I use Spreadshirt.com to get it printed. They do a fantastic job. Just make sure you make it .gif format with no background otherwise you'll get an ugly black box around it.

16 hours ago, 407lynx said:

A few years ago I'd say not a problem. But last year with AP preview party, one bathroom break, and no food breaks I still missed AWIL... Not that that was a bad thing IMO but I was almost running the whole time and pretty much did not see the scarezones at all. Still It just isn't feasible nowadays. There are just too many people who go opening night now and express is unfairly weighted to allow them to walk right past you (they almost never pulse and they straight up just keep letting express in until they aren't there).

If you can make it multiple nights. Do yourself the favor and get ROF. If not, get express. I can't believe I am condoning that but you will be miserable. I know all the ins and outs of making it to houses, sitting on the wait times like a vulture, planning and re-planning each move while in line. It's just not worth it anymore. 

2006 I was done with all the houses before 7:30  (prior to that I didn't care.. imagine that!). 2008 -2012 before 9:00, 2013 -2014 made it to the last house by the skin of my teeth. 2015 I failed. 2007 doesn't count I had a group in tow and they didn't have any sense of urgency missed one. 

4 minutes ago, RustySomebody said:

What about RIP? Is there something bad about those? because I don't really hear a lot of people talking about them here.  I'm doing RIP for the first time this year because I wanted to

guarantee we see all the houses and B&T.

Nothing wrong with them. Just a lot of money. The majority of people don't do them. But yeah you are guaranteed to see all houses and B&T. The walk you right up to the front of the line in front of express. Depending on the tour, they may talk about the houses (Arcane insights). It's very structured. If any time is left at the end you are let loose to do what you want.

1 hour ago, JDW said:

Nothing wrong with them. Just a lot of money. The majority of people don't do them. But yeah you are guaranteed to see all houses and B&T. The walk you right up to the front of the line in front of express. Depending on the tour, they may talk about the houses (Arcane insights). It's very structured. If any time is left at the end you are let loose to do what you want.

I agree, pricey.  But, with us flying in from out of state and this being my wife's first HHN, I wanted her (and me)  to be able to see the whole event and really appreciate it instead of spending most of the night in lines. We really just built it into the costs of the trip.

Edited by RustySomebody
  • Like 3

On 8/19/2016 at 0:22 PM, HHN Explorer said:

Another year, another custom shirt I had to make since Universal can't seem to make the shirts more attractive!

HHN%2026%20Shirt%20Design_zpsmfpuvt7w.jp

Somebody needs to send this to the merchandising guys.. and say "PLEASE!!! THIS IS WHAT WE WANT!!"  I would  MUCH rather have the Halloween Horror Nights logo in big letters like this on the front of a shirt instead of those stupid blood sayings.  And they are STUPID.  It's like they sit around in a room for 15 minutes, and try to find something that will pass.  You can almost hear "good enough! Print!"  The last one I liked was "Once you're inside, there's no way out"   I actually thought that was decent.  After that, right down the crapper.  I prefer the other shirts - love my Halloween shirt - get tons and tons of comments on it whenever I wear it.  I also love my 25 shirt.

"This is what chance tastes like" Brilliant!

My all time favorite saying was on a pair of hot pants (yes HHN sold hot pants). I actually owned them... not for me... because they were so weird.

It said "Scare This!" in blood letters on the butt.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, JDW said:

A few years ago I'd say not a problem. But last year with AP preview party, one bathroom break, and no food breaks I still missed AWIL... Not that that was a bad thing IMO but I was almost running the whole time and pretty much did not see the scarezones at all. Still It just isn't feasible nowadays. There are just too many people who go opening night now and express is unfairly weighted to allow them to walk right past you (they almost never pulse and they straight up just keep letting express in until they aren't there).

If you can make it multiple nights. Do yourself the favor and get ROF. If not, get express. I can't believe I am condoning that but you will be miserable. I know all the ins and outs of making it to houses, sitting on the wait times like a vulture, planning and re-planning each move while in line. It's just not worth it anymore. 

2006 I was done with all the houses before 7:30  (prior to that I didn't care.. imagine that!). 2008 -2012 before 9:00, 2013 -2014 made it to the last house by the skin of my teeth. 2015 I failed. 2007 doesn't count I had a group in tow and they didn't have any sense of urgency missed one. 

Yeah express lines are always hit and miss IMO. It seems like some lines you walk right in and others they pulse the line 50/50. I seem to remember waiting quite a long time for Halloween and Insidious. It's always been that tent house lol...

But yeah I agree with JDW, get a ROF. You can always upgrade your ticket if you have already purchased it. Even when you're leaving the park you can walk into Guest Services and ask to upgrade! If not I also highly recommend an express pass. I did the event without express from 2006-2013. All with the Frequent Fear so I was fortunate enough to see every house multiple times. But now you need it. Unless you don't mind waiting atleast 45 min for every house. At that point it gets annoying. 

TL;DR: get a Rush of Fear and/or An express pass. They are 100% worth it.

• Like 1

" get a Rush of Fear and/or An express pass. They are 100% worth it. "

We fly down from IL every year and this is what we do. We go 4 nights. See every house every night. We only go to B&T once per trip usually. So we see every house 4 times and a coupe more than that. Totally worth it. After a few times you can actually remember the houses after you go through them! Gotta find those easter eggs!

• Like 1

So with everything revealed (basically) I guess that's really it for the site. Probably the least interesting site since 2001. It isn't even intuitive how to find the list of attractions.

[rant]

There is a difference between saving money and being completely unhelpful.

For example:

The Hollywood site has a big 'ole attractions button. This leads you to a drop down list where you can select the type of attraction you want to check out.

Orlando you have to click about+/ announcements and scroll between the various announcements. No real graphics, just some quick titles and buttons to read more. It's sad that I'm holding up the Hollywood site as a comparison.

Now check out the site I did for Dare2Escape if you are so inclined (shameless plug). It has a phone, desktop, and tablet version. It expands and contracts with breakpoints. The attractions are front and center and it leads you to the descriptions and videos for the attractions and that leads you further to the full descriptions. Plus there is a button at the top to take you directly to the rooms.

I'm not tooting my own horn as D2E told me what they wanted and I made it work on as many platforms as I could. But my point is this: I am just one guy with a small budget, working a full-time job, with a show and website that I also do on the side (second shameless plug), AND I built a more intuitive site.

They have people (or contractors) that it's their job to do this kind of thing no? Shouldn't the bottom line of a website be that it is a.) functional b.) easy to use and c.) enticing? It won't matter either way though I'm sure. This year will be gut busting on the crowds and profits with or without the website. So is it just their notoriety that allows them to get away with it? I guess. 

[\rant]

(side note: the smiley face is a strange choice for adding a link to text on here)

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, JDW said:

So with everything revealed (basically) I guess that's really it for the site. Probably the least interesting site since 2001. It isn't even intuitive how to find the list of attractions.

[rant]

For example:

The Hollywood site has a big 'ole attractions button. This leads you to a drop down list where you can select the type of attraction you want to check out.

Orlando you have to click about+/ announcements and scroll between the various announcements. No real graphics, just some quick titles and buttons to read more. It's sad that I'm holding up the Hollywood site as a comparison.

Now check out the site I did for Dare2Escape if you are so inclined (shameless plug). It has a phone, desktop, and tablet version. It expands and contracts with breakpoints. The attractions are front and center and it leads you to the descriptions and videos for the attractions and that leads you further to the full descriptions. Plus there is a button at the top to take you directly to the rooms.

I'm not tooting my own horn as D2E told me what they wanted and I made it work on as many platforms as I could. But my point is this: I am just one guy with a small budget, working a full-time job, with a show and website that I also do on the side (second shameless plug), AND I built a more intuitive site.

They have people (or contractors) that it's their job to do this kind of thing no? Shouldn't the bottom line of a website be that it is a.) functional b.) easy to use and c.) enticing? It won't matter either way though I'm sure. This year will be gut busting on the crowds and profits with or without the website. So is it just their notoriety that allows them to get away with it? I guess. 

[\rant]

(side note: the smiley face is a strange choice for adding a link to text on here)

I wholeheartedly agree.  I (along with a few others I'm sure) have even posted on Orlando's twitter feed to try to get some sort of answer regarding the site and I haven't seen any reply.  You'd think that with the year they're having, they'd want to have a decent site to go with it.  I'm not even talking about the site we got with The Usher. (I've said this before, my favorite HHN site ever)

Just give us something equal to Hollywood's that's actually informative. I'd like to know, for example, what attractions will be open the nights of HHN.  We still don't have that.

BUT, we also don't have a final map either, so maybe we'll get one last update at some point with both and more.

We'll see.....not holding my breath.

P.S speaking of twitter and FB accounts, Hollywood's is way more responsive and interactive than Orlando's.  PUT SOME EFFORT INTO YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA PEEPS!

*sigh* oh well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JDW said:

[rant]

For example:

[\rant]

I mentioned this like a week or two ago. There's no way to find a list of the houses, except in the announcements tab, but who's gonna look there. And there's nothing about the scare zones, unless you count the original content announcement. The site this year is so lazy. 

• Like 1