Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion

Mark M.

1 minute ago, criticalanalysis said:

My reasons are valid. It's no different than doing the "Zombie Containment Unit." The gimmick stands out and ruins the idea. Just feels lazy.

I agree. But I also don't have to worry about even being tempted to drop $50 on it since my trip is before Sept 29.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, criticalanalysis said:

I hope it isn't annual. It's going to be heavily VR based. They'll have to project "scares" onto the headset otherwise the physical props would be entirely pointless. Rather than making a 10th house and upcharge it they made a cheaper, gimmick experience. I don't think it'll be worth the money and would prefer VOTING with my money by letting it bomb to discourage this type of decision in the future. 

I'm not so sure it is all vr though. It does say, "highly themed physical environments". If I had to guess, I'd think that it was closer to a 50/50 worth of real life interaction vs wearing the headset. But who knows? I don't think it says how long it is either. Is it fifteen minutes or an hour. That would make a pretty big difference in my mind of whether or not it is worth the $50. 

Edited by ThNdIzNiR
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

I'm not so sure it is all vr though. It does say, "highly themed physical environments". If I had to guess, I'd think that it was closer to a 50/50 worth of real life interaction vs wearing the headset. But who knows? I don't think it says how long it is either. Is it fifteen minutes or an hour. That would make a pretty big difference in mind of whether or not it is worth the $50. 

Totally agree with you on the last point. If someone is there for a night and it takes an hour to do it PLUS you have to show up early PLUS it's $50, hell no, the regular houses are what we go for.

6 minutes ago, criticalanalysis said:

Totally agree with you on the last point. If someone is there for a night and it takes an hour to do it PLUS you have to show up early PLUS it's $50, hell no, the regular houses are what we go for.

I guess that is a whole nother issue. Considering how much it costs to go for 1 night with express, will it be worth dumping another $50 to lose time out of your night that is generally jam packed as it is? 

^^^^ "My reasons are valid. It's no different than doing the "Zombie Containment Unit." The gimmick stands out and ruins the idea. Just feels lazy."

The one at HOS? Gimmicky yes... but you didn't enjoy it? We had a blast going through it. It was one of the highlights of the whole visit there. 

Edited by ThNdIzNiR

1 minute ago, criticalanalysis said:

Hated it lol.

Not to get too sidetracked here, but...

There was 1 part that stood out so much that made it more realistic. We somehow ended up in a room where a soldier actor went absolutely ballistic on us using f bombs and everything. We were stunned at how pissed off he was at us which made it all the better. It could have been done much better, but it was still fun. If your issue was a matter of overall quality, I could understand that point. It was a bit cheesy. Nothing wrong with a little cheese now and then though. 

3 minutes ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

Not to get too sidetracked here, but...

There was 1 part that stood out so much that made it more realistic. We somehow ended up in a room where a soldier actor went absolutely ballistic on us using f bombs and everything. We were stunned at how pissed off he was at us which made it all the better. It could have been done much better, but it was still fun. If your issue was a matter of overall quality, I could understand that point. It was a bit cheesy. Nothing wrong with a little cheese now and then though. 

That would've been cool to see. In my experience it was a billion little kids screaming hitting every zombie in a second, causing their light to illuminate, making the whole area visible, while getting cattled through fast.

35 minutes ago, criticalanalysis said:

You touched on something interesting, why are they not opening it with the actual first night? 

Guessing because it is a tentative test. They want to see if people will buy into it.

Interestingly enough if they can add an up-charge 10th house to the new 9 houses with all the heavy hitting IPs this year, I think it's safe to say we can put these silly "budget" debates to rest. Clearly they have the money to back things up.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, criticalanalysis said:

That would've been cool to see. In my experience it was a billion little kids screaming hitting every zombie in a second, causing their light to illuminate, making the whole area visible, while getting cattled through fast.

There was some serious cattling going on in that house, especially compared to all the other ones over there. The cattling was probably only a little worse than the level we see at every house at HHN though. 

• Like 1

honestly i'm kind of a person who sees "potential in an idea" being exciting so like

the VR experience sounds like a super fun concept (obviously there's the possibility of it being little more than a Cheap Gimmick but hey, look at the in-between, it turned the gimmick of 3d houses into a cool experience by being experimental and creative with how the gimmick is implimented) and (as i've already kind of mentioned in the actual threat for the vr thing) i am excited to see how this impacts the industry! it might be a gateway into experimenting with new technology, which i'm pretty excited about! (then again because i live in the uk i've never been to hhn

i guess i ought to kind of disclose what i think about Everything Else original that's been revealed so like, here we go (starting with the scarezones)

(reminder that i'm judging all of these on the concepts and i'm biased, So)

VAMP 55:

i'm starting out with my fave idea because i'm biased, uh

oh gosh i just love this idea, like i love chance but nothing can top 50s vampire greasers for me. like. nothing. i'm excited to see everyone's experiences with the scareactors bc lord knows there are gonna be some fun stories coming out of this

also it reminds me of the movie die-in thing from last year somewhat so basically oh gosh i love this. i love all the comedy houses/scarezones they're dear to my heart

BANSHEE'S LAIR:

i like the idea of this! largely because of the fact that it seems very fae-inspired. and grown evil inspired. and there's also the fact i love the forest-y kind of horror setting so yeah,

THAT CHANCE SCAREZONE?? I'VE ALREADY FORGOTTEN ITS NAME:

admittedly i'm not really excited for this one. i mean the asylum thing is... already done to death i guess? i don't know, but chance is in it, so she might be fun

SURVIVE OR DIE:

i... actually really like the concept for this one, if for no other reason than "i want to make a story out of this concept because this is a fun apocalyptic scenario". then again, that's the same reason i like saws n' steam as well! also i adore the post-apocalyptic aesthetic and the potential for costume designs in this one are fun (mainly because of GAS MASKS, GAS MASKS EVERYWHERE)

DEAD MAN'S WHARF:

I HOPE WE SEE EVIL MERMAIDS. I REALLY HOPE WE SEE EVIL MERMAIDS. and also it reminds me of the frightanic kind of. BUT MOSTLY I WANT TO SEE EVIL MERMAIDS OR AT LEAST WEIRD FISH PEOPLE

GHOST TOWN: THE CURSE OF LIGHTNING GULCH:

i'm excited to see how the "requel" thing works for this! and also the western thing is super rare when it comes to horror, so i'm excited to see how this plays out! especially when it comes to the facades, i'm kind of expecting something beautiful when it comes to this, the potential is just so much

LUNATIC'S PLAYGROUND 3D:

on one hand, this is the icon house, and i really love chance and the 3d maze gimmick is close to my heart. on the other hand, the asylum thing. i mean i don't know, i'm excited to see some of the weirder environments but i really wish it were more centred around that whole "theatre of the mind" thing rather than the "chance being locked up" thing. oh well

TOMB OF THE ANCIENTS:

like ghost town, i'm really expecting a cool facade for this one! i guess it's the concept of "weird evil temple" that inspires a lot of hope in me. (also if i don't see a reference to the lantern i'll be sad as hell)

so yeah that's basically what i think about all of this! (sidenote: i'm confused as to if those female costume sketches are alternative outfits for chance or just ladies that appear in the mazes, i don't know)

• Like 1

It seems like this new VR/house hybrid concept will have heavy ties with Legendary Truth. One of the people who works with Universal tweeted "I hear it's going to be Legendary!" and ended the tweet with the hashtag "TheTruthIsLegendary". It's also been said that the experience is not full VR. You interact with real actors with a VR element. Most likely you go through the house room by room interacting with different people. This is their time to figure out your fears. Then the experience ends with you doing the VR element which they have said is personalized so they probably have a bunch of different "fear" combos they can toss together for each person differently to really get to you.

Wish we got more information about it though. Things like length of the experience would be really helpful for some. Still, even without the $50 price factored in, I don't think I am brave enough to tackle this. People have been wanting an "extreme" or super scary house for a while and I think this is their answer. 

13 hours ago, criticalanalysis said:

Someone do it for us on the 29th and let me know how it is before I buy it :)

Shocking after the other thread, but I completely agree with you, although I'm arriving on the 29th, so if we could make that feedback timely that would be great.

Also, not to be a pessimist, but do we know for sure that this isn't the 1 more house left to announce?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jediwhit82 said:

Shocking after the other thread, but I completely agree with you, although I'm arriving on the 29th, so if we could make that feedback timely that would be great.

Also, not to be a pessimist, but do we know for sure that this isn't the 1 more house left to announce?

I can't get the exact conversation but someone asked this and Mike said Repository was the "tenth maze" and the "ninth maze" was to be announced "soon".

Edited by ForeverEvil1

That's Strange they would put that in Macy's it's right in the middle of the NY Scarezone area as well as the Entrance to Mummy. The past few years the back rooms were part of Legendary Truth so I'm wondering where they are going to put that VR experience now. All the VR stations were set up inside that building . 

It would make more sense for them to put that store somewhere else like La Bamba or even Nazerman's since we haven't seen them use that space for a house in a LONG time I could even see them using part of one of the Soundstages for it as well. 

37 minutes ago, KyleOh10 said:

That's Strange they would put that in Macy's it's right in the middle of the NY Scarezone area as well as the Entrance to Mummy. The past few years the back rooms were part of Legendary Truth so I'm wondering where they are going to put that VR experience now. All the VR stations were set up inside that building . 

It would make more sense for them to put that store somewhere else like La Bamba or even Nazerman's since we haven't seen them use that space for a house in a LONG time I could even see them using part of one of the Soundstages for it as well. 

that's where the bonus maze was prior. Whatever year that was uh... 23?

Nazerman's would not make sense. it is a bunch of freezers, a ben& Jerry's, and a Star Bucks now. there is maybe a 20 x 20 ft room that is used for storage now.